PDA

View Full Version : Oil / filter change ... easiest I've ever done

VStarRider
10-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Well, I guess my little four-stroke 5 hp outboard is easier because it doesn't have a filter...but...

This was a piece of cake. Did most of the job with the bike on the side stand (to get all of the old oil out, with the bike leaned over towards drain). Propped it up with a block of wood under the kickstand to put the filter back on. Everything was accessible, and nothing is in the way.

The former oil has 7,600 miles on it, so I let it drain for several hours after a 100 mile ride to get it all out.

I used 10W-40 Mobil 1 4T oil and a Honda filter. I took a quick 12 miles ride following the oil change to ensure there were no leaks under pressure and fully warmed up, and I began to notice the difference in shift quality almost right away. Much quieter and smoother. I have had issues shifting this transmission ever since I have owned the bike (seems like it needs the perfect shift with perfect timing of toe, throttle and clutch to get it smooth). It seems like it is quite a bit more cooperative now with fresh synthetic oil.

Thanks for replying to my post several weeks ago, asking about whether I should take it to the dealer or do the oil change myself. Your responses gave me the confidence to go ahead and do this service myself and save $100 in labor. I appreciate it! I like to be able to do maintenance myself ... not necessarily for $$$ savings (though that is nice), but for convenience. I hate having to make an appointment, go to a shop, wait, pay and go home. Would rather do maintenance on my terms, when at all possible.

willtill
10-16-2016, 05:54 PM
U Da Man! It is easy peezy to do on this bike. :yes:

And you have the personal warmth, of knowing it was done right. Because YOU did it.. :icon_wink:

seadog
10-16-2016, 07:12 PM
It just make it so much easier when the back end of the bike is lifted with the center stand and allows it to drain rather nicely. Even a motorcycle center lift jack is also a benefit if you don't have the center stand.