PDA

View Full Version : Considering an F6B or???

Jerryleejr
05-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Glad to be back on the site,
Long story short, had an 03 Valkyrie that I should have kept but got an 06 M109r since I mainly rode solo, then I found a wonderful woman that loved riding so I searched for a good two up solution and because of the best deal ended up with an 09 ultra classic. I have no brand loyalty it works for the rides "we" take. Now that its payed for I'm looking at keeping it for two up travel and possibly getting either an F6B or BMW K1600 for my weekly commute 390 miles one way.
Not trying to debate brands just wondering if anyone has had experience with both? I'm sure owners of either will say theirs is by far the best choice and probably are correct for the reasons they chose to purchase. Here are my concerns. Keep in mind these are personal and what works for one may not for another and at the end of the day I want to get off the bike and not feel like I'd put in 400 miles and still be grinning :)

JJ

F6B
Pros
Bullet proof the bike just works
Reliable maintenance history from Honda
I like the retro look
That many goldwing owners can't be wrong

Cons
No cruise control (just nice to have)
Colors (may re-paint)
Windshield (need a taller one)
Weight (is what it is for this class)

BMW
Pros
Very nice styling
A lot of creature comforts stock I.e. cruise, electric windscreen, electric suspension etc
Smooth motor

Cons
Dealer network
Price both initial purchase and long term maintenance
Weight (again is what it is)

av8rdave
05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Cost and dealer network were big issues for me (the nearest dealer is nearly 70 miles away).

FWIW, the windshield isn't a huge issue. Nearly everyone seems to replace it. There are many choices, and they're just not that expensive. With a taller windshield, mine is a great mix of comfort and handling.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either choice.

Texas TC
05-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Only you can make the decision on the motorcycle that fits your needs best. I have owned both BMW and Honda, along with Haley's and several other brands. I think the F6B is the best, most fun to ride motorcycle I have had in my 50 years of riding. But, as I said, only you can decide.

royr
05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
JJ, another option MBL Innovations Sport Kit.

Steve 0080
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I have an Ultra and have owned a Valk...I now also have the F6B...they are all the same and all different. Each bike I have ever owned did one or several things real well. The Ultra has everything and is very comfortable, I have never owned or ridden a BMW, my issue with them alone is dealers are far and wide apart. If you are trying to compare two motorcycles then the best comparison would be between the Valk and the F6B...and the F6B is 10 years newer with today's technology, with more power as well. Keep the Ultra and have a " we " bike and you can still take your bride on the F6B...

boocoodinkydow
05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
i bought a new LT in 05 & can't imagine ever parting with it. with the addition of a russell seat, i couldn't ask for a more comfortable touring bike. despite it's hefty size, the agility rivals that of a sport bike when carving these beautiful east tenn twisties. and from what i understand, these qualities are only enhanced in the new GT & GTL series. while the feel of pure european quality has been unsurpassed by any bike i've ever owned, reliabilty is actually a shortcoming of bmw's. in 56 years of riding experience, this is the only bike that has ever failed to get me back home. as mentioned earlier, don't expect to get a bargain on a new one. dealerships are few & far between. and when you do find one & carry it in for service you'll find that BMW stands for "Bring More Wallets"!! one scheduled maintenance for me soared past $700. when i finally accepted the fact i had "outgrown" my K1200GT, i opted for the f6b over a new bmw for several reasons; a $3000 discount, never far from a dealer, & absolutely bullet proof. i've had many hondas & can never remember a maintenance issue of any kind. bought the new bike 5 weeks ago & have only put 15 miles on it so i can't really attest to it's accolades yet but i have no doubt it's going to be a great addition to the riding stable.

Jerryleejr
05-12-2013, 08:15 PM
i bought a new LT in 05 & can't imagine ever parting with it. with the addition of a russell seat, i couldn't ask for a more comfortable touring bike. despite it's hefty size, the agility rivals that of a sport bike when carving these beautiful east tenn twisties. and from what i understand, these qualities are only enhanced in the new GT & GTL series. while the feel of pure european quality has been unsurpassed by any bike i've ever owned, reliabilty is actually a shortcoming of bmw's. in 56 years of riding experience, this is the only bike that has ever failed to get me back home. as mentioned earlier, don't expect to get a bargain on a new one. dealerships are few & far between. and when you do find one & carry it in for service you'll find that BMW stands for "Bring More Wallets"!! one scheduled maintenance for me soared past $700. when i finally accepted the fact i had "outgrown" my K1200GT, i opted for the f6b over a new bmw for several reasons; a $3000 discount, never far from a dealer, & absolutely bullet proof. i've had many hondas & can never remember a maintenance issue of any kind. bought the new bike 5 weeks ago & have only put 15 miles on it so i can't really attest to it's accolades yet but i have no doubt it's going to be a great addition to the riding stable.
This really sums it up, I followed the LT boards for years and opted for the Valkyrie to tied me over instead. Then rumors of the k1600 started floating around and I figured the ultra would fill the gap until enough bmw's were out there to make a reasonable decision. And now low and behold the F6B is released and I'm immediately taken back to my Valkyrie which is still a favorite of mine. So test rides are in order and I'm sure either bike will fit me just fine but maintenance and dealer network might be the deciding factor.

JJ

Gumby
05-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I had my k100 in college and couldn't really afford the maintenance and upkeep. Every time it or my R80/7 before that died I went in the shed and fired up the CB550. I finally came to the realization that BMW reliability was overrated and Hondas was not. If you can afford to keep either the bikes or the cars they are very nice, but so are Hondas for less money up front and down the road.

boocoodinkydow
05-13-2013, 07:41 PM
well jj, finally got an opportunity to take the wing out for about a 50 mile loop on some first class roads this aftenoon. take it from a happy ol' beemer jockey, this puppy is one sweet ride!! it's the gentlest bike in a curve i've ever ridden. i took some familiar roads i often ride the LT for a little adrenaline rush. at the same speed on the wing, it was like sitting in a comfortable ol' rocking chair; just settles in the curve & floats right through. anxious to get a little friendlier with it & find out what drags first. while it promises to be a really fun bike for a nice day trip around here, it's not perfect. i already miss the cruise but i'll bet an aftermarket unit isn't far away. lack of a real windscreen is annoying at speeds much over 50; makes the radio almost useless. the ol' beemer is still my choice for the purpose it was built, luxury touring, but this f6b is gonna make one fine lil' day hopper!!

TCBronson
05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I currently ride a 2010 NT700 and it has been a great bike, reliable and fun to ride. Also, I can pick it up if I have to! I have also been considering a BMW R1200 RT. I like the simplicity of the air cooled bike. I used to think about a Goldwing, but didn't want that big and heavy of a bike. I used to own a ST1300 and liked it, but it was heavy too. So now this newe F6B comes out and it has caught my eye. I do wish you could add the factory cruise control though and I am concerned about the weight.

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-17-2013, 12:53 AM
weekly commute 390 miles one way

Faced with that I'd choose the new 1600K if you have the $

Jerryleejr
05-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Faced with that I'd choose the new 1600K if you have the $

Would love to hear your reasoning, might bring up something I haven't thought of...

JJ