PDA

View Full Version : Geezer took out two motorcyclists

willtill
10-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Failure to yield. One of our greatest challenges with vehicular traffic :nono:

This happened very near to me Saturday:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_the_record/ph-ac-cn-motorcycle-accident-1017-20161016-story.html

Man, you got to be alert out there. Get some Headlight Modulators installed. They really help get you noticed; it's not the "save all" from failure to yields; but since I have been running them (for many years now) I have very few perceptible scenarios where another vehicle is going to violate my right of way.

Steve 0080
10-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Sad...we had a 73 YOA school bus driver run over and kill a motorcyclist last Thursday. Same, failure to yield !

pickensace
10-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I do realize accidents happen but shouldn't more be done to these folks than a simple traffic ticket?

We had an old lady drive her car through our building several years back. Went through the office area into the warehouse and knocked our warehouse guy out the back door and crushed his sinus cavity. When we got to the car the front wheels were out the dock door hanging over our guy. Wheels still spinning. When it went to court she was ticketed for To Fast for Conditions. Funny part, when the judge did that the guys wife jumped up and asked "Exactly how fast it to fast to drive through a building".

Gets my blood pumpin when I hear of accidents like this!!

willtill
10-17-2016, 11:08 AM
I do realize accidents happen but shouldn't more be done to these folks than a simple traffic ticket?

We had an old lady drive her car through our building several years back. Went through the office area into the warehouse and knocked our warehouse guy out the back door and crushed his sinus cavity. When we got to the car the front wheels were out the dock door hanging over our guy. Wheels still spinning. When it went to court she was ticketed for To Fast for Conditions. Funny part, when the judge did that the guys wife jumped up and asked "Exactly how fast it to fast to drive through a building".

Gets my blood pumpin when I hear of accidents like this!!

Unfortunately not. All one can do (at least their next of kin) is to sue for wrongful death. And maybe petition the court to have this old codger's driving privileges suspended. So he doesn't try to kill again; with his vehicle. :shhh:

The two victims of this "accident" should retain a good attorney, and are made whole.

YikesCops
10-17-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm often told "Motorcycles are dangerous." I get lectured about once a month.

The issues is that Motorcycles are not dangerous, but the other vehicles on the streets are dangerous to motorcycles. Just look at the statistics on motorcycle accidents, mostly other vehicles where at fault beyond just riders being stupid.

So, what I do is change my driving habits to reduce the risk. I assume that all cars will turn in front of me, assume that the driver is texting (they typically are), and assume that all drivers are currently having a stroke.

The result is perhaps not having as much fun, but I've avoided about 3 incidents where I would have been clipped. I'm going to continue on in this manner, pretty much the rest my days. Shame that I have too.

BIGLRY
10-17-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm often told "Motorcycles are dangerous." I get lectured about once a month.

The issues is that Motorcycles are not dangerous, but the other vehicles on the streets are dangerous to motorcycles. Just look at the statistics on motorcycle accidents, mostly other vehicles where at fault beyond just riders being stupid.

So, what I do is change my driving habits to reduce the risk. I assume that all cars will turn in front of me, assume that the driver is texting (they typically are), and assume that all drivers are currently having a stroke.

The result is perhaps not having as much fun, but I've avoided about 3 incidents where I would have been clipped. I'm going to continue on in this manner, pretty much the rest my days. Shame that I have too.
Good advice...
I have three rules when I'm riding that I have followed all my life that have save me from serious injury many times.
1. When on a motorcycle I assume I am INVISIBLE to all others on the road so I ride accordingly.
2. Anyone who CAN see me is out to KILL me.
3. NEVER forget rule #1

seadog
10-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Good advice...
I have three rules when I'm riding that I have followed all my life that have save me from serious injury many times.
1. When on a motorcycle I assume I am INVISIBLE to all others on the road so I ride accordingly.
2. Anyone who CAN see me is out to KILL me.
3. NEVER forget rule #1

I am fortunate to have driven these highways 36 years as a career and almost can tell you what that driver is going to do before he does it. That experience has served me well for years and being still alive after all that time says it has helped. Also motorcycling is a full time job, if you think it doesn't require 100% of your attention you will wind up wearing it instead of riding it. Listen to us old guys that are still alive after all that.
Larry I still haven't found a way to kill that dam bug on your thread. LOL

willtill
10-17-2016, 02:27 PM
What is that saying? "There are old motorcyclists, there are bold motorcyclists; but there are no old, bold motorcyclists" :nono:

Btw... the intersection where those two motorcyclist(s) were hurt; is one away from the intersection where I almost got taken out a couple of weeks ago, by another geezer myself. :shock:

Dangerous road, that Quarterfield road is... :shhh:

Wing'n it
10-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Very few motorcycle accidents are "long wolf" where only the motorcyclist is the only one involved, but if they are it is mostly speed or some stupid mistake. I see a lot of cyclist making stupid mistakes or speeding, just last week I seen a Harley rider split the middle of 4 other bikes and just continue on, at first I thought he was part of their group but I guess not. That was a dangerous move that could have taken out all 5 of them.

BIGLRY
10-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Larry I still haven't found a way to kill that dam bug on your thread. LOL
https://media.rubegoldberg.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Simple-Fly-swatter-invention-professor-butts-acid-poison-slingshot-garlic-syrup-fly-animal-fish-trout-dog-baseball-bat-stop-go-boot-shoe-net-_new-1600x707.jpg

pilotguy299
10-17-2016, 05:56 PM
What I learned from this thread and the linked article?

I'm not the only old guy who can get a much younger girl to go for a ride with him!

3Chief
10-17-2016, 09:28 PM
So, I've been TDY in San Diego for 12 of the last 13 months. I drive across the Coronado Bridge everyday heading to work in the afternoon...I saw this nice little bike rally in the park below the bridge on my way in Saturday. Thought "wow, wish I could be there instead of heading to work..." I got an alert an hour or so later...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/33399356/sdpd-4-dead-several-injured-after-vehicle-rolls-off-coronado-bridge-into-crowd

scoplin
10-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Death on the Dragon, biker runs into the back of another biker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/1-dead-another-injured-after-motorcycle-collision-on-dragon/2016/10/17/b39b1002-9486-11e6-9cae-2a3574e296a6_story.html?ref=yfp

willtill
10-18-2016, 06:39 AM
So, I've been TDY in San Diego for 12 of the last 13 months. I drive across the Coronado Bridge everyday heading to work in the afternoon...I saw this nice little bike rally in the park below the bridge on my way in Saturday. Thought "wow, wish I could be there instead of heading to work..." I got an alert an hour or so later...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/33399356/sdpd-4-dead-several-injured-after-vehicle-rolls-off-coronado-bridge-into-crowd

That's awful. Four people crush by a truck dropping from above

Death on the Dragon, biker runs into the back of another biker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/1-dead-another-injured-after-motorcycle-collision-on-dragon/2016/10/17/b39b1002-9486-11e6-9cae-2a3574e296a6_story.html?ref=yfp

I really enjoy that area of the country, but really have never been comfortable on the Tail of the Dragon. Blind curves make me uncomfortable; especially with aggressive motorcycling traffic. Just takes one time for someone on a bike to cross that centerline into my lane as we approach each other around a curve :shock:

willtill
10-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Update on the original topic of this thread. Appears that charges are now pending against the Geezer:

http://patch.com/maryland/odenton/2-severn-motorcyclists-critically-injured-crash-police