PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sparky.....

Big Dawg
09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Inquiring minds want to know, How are you doing?

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Inquiring minds want to know, How are you doing?

Hey, Jimmy. I am doing...okay...and that is about it. I am frustrated that my hearing is as bad as it is. With both ear drums blown out, I have very little sense of balance. In trying to do some work on my new barn the other day, I was tipsy on the ladder, whereas before, I used to be rock solid on the very top of a ladder. My driving sense is off, when in a car. Due to lack of hearing, and lack of balance, and knowing that my senses are still not back to where they used to be, I feel like I am drunk most of the time, which is an odd feeling for someone that does not drink. :icon_frown:

Steve 0080
09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
WOW!!!! if you could get that in a pill form you could be rich!!!!!!

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 01:50 PM
WOW!!!! if you could get that in a pill form you could be rich!!!!!!

Steve, you can get it in pill form. It is called...Oxycontin, or Oxycodone.

BARRYS770
09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey, Jimmy. I am doing...okay...and that is about it. I am frustrated that my hearing is as bad as it is. With both ear drums blown out, I have very little sense of balance. In trying to do some work on my new barn the other day, I was tipsy on the ladder, whereas before, I used to be rock solid on the very top of a ladder. My driving sense is off, when in a car. Due to lack of hearing, and lack of balance, and knowing that my senses are still not back to where they used to be, I feel like I am drunk most of the time, which is an odd feeling for someone that does not drink. :icon_frown:

At one point, you mentioned that you might have surgery in order to get the ear drums repaired. If you don't mind me asking, what's the prognosis for this procedure and will it improve you balance issues? Also, were any of the bones damaged in the inner ear? Again, I hopr that your recovery will allow you to continue to ride. 2,314,159 "miles" would be a nice achievement.

Barry

MSGT-R
09-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Miles, I certainly hope you have cotton stuffed in those ears to keep the cold air and any contaminants out. My Dad had a blown eardrum for all of his life (infection as an 11 month old). He religiously kept clean cotton in the ear each day.

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
At one point, you mentioned that you might have surgery in order to get the ear drums repaired. If you don't mind me asking, what's the prognosis for this procedure and will it improve you balance issues? Also, were any of the bones damaged in the inner ear? Again, I hopr that your recovery will allow you to continue to ride. 2,314,159 "miles" would be a nice achievement.

Barry

Barry, the prognosis is that the doctor wants to wait...urrrrggggg...for one to three months, to see if the tympanic membrane wil grow back on its' own. He is doubtful, given the size of the perforations, but this is something that must be done, so that we try every solution, before doing the surgery. The CT scan showed that NO inner bones were harmed in the filming of this lightning strike. :icon_wink:

At this point, it is 50 % frustration, and 50 % lack of balance...drunken sailor affect. I am doing all that I can to assist in the process, and simply have to wait.

Terri, I am acutely aware of the COLD air, and am looking for a comfortable pair of ear muffs to wear. They will serve several purposes, and I can keep a layer of guaze inside each ear cup, to protect the ear from debris.

kjelders
09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
The good news, is that you can now just sit on your bike and it will charge the battery until you are able to ride again. :icon_mrgreen:

You can market that.....the "Sparky Battery Tender"

Retired Army
09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
If you are in the VA system they provide free hearing aids and batteries.

Hornblower
09-28-2013, 09:01 AM

Miles--Hope your balance issue is improving. Yesterday, Deerslayer and I were at a Honda event and ran across something that made us think of you. Here it is:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee106/HornblowerR3/TrainingWheels.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/HornblowerR3/media/TrainingWheels.jpg.html)

Wow, Miles on training wheels! Wouldn't that just be the bomb! :icon_lol: Seriously, Miles, we're thinking of you and praying for a good recovery. And the training wheels, really? Fuhgeddaboudit :nono:

MichaelG
09-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow, Miles on training wheels! Wouldn't that just be the bomb! :icon_lol: Seriously, Miles, we're thinking of you and praying for a good recovery. And the training wheels, really? Fuhgeddaboudit :nono:

Hornblower...you are a badddddd mannnnnn. And I like your Brother better. :icon_wink:

Big Dawg
09-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Prayers sent for a full recovery. I need my riding buddy back up to full speed for the next east coast rally.

Scotrod
09-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Training wheels,,,, If my choices were either training wheels or not riding,,, I'd be riding.

Got a friend on a limited budget with a custom-painted bike that he dearly loves. He had to make that same choice. He opted for the 'wheels. Can't say I blame him!

I believe there is an excellent chance Miles will get most all of his facilities back. The 'waiting game' between now and then is the toughest part. Hang in there Miles.

MSGT-R
09-29-2013, 09:03 AM
I've seen a pair of those on a Valk up close; they are huge and heavy! With no reverse, I wouldn't do it..

Trike lady
09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I had a Voyager on my GL1500, I liked it.

Will keep you in my prayers.