PDA

View Full Version : Rush Slip Ons

Bruce B
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I've about got myself convinced to order some Rush slip on pipes in chrome. Before taking the leap, I thought I'd ask those with first hand knowledge about any pitfalls or negatives you've experienced with the Rush units. What's your satisfaction level after putting some miles on them? How about the dreaded "drone"? What size baffles are you using? How about over-all quality/fit & finish, etc.? Considering price and service, who have you found to be a good source for Rush pipes? The Rush site shows GL1800 pipes. Are these what are used for the F6B?

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Bruce

Rikrok
09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
I have my black ones on. No notible drone. I have the 2" baffles. My only complaint, but a personal one, I think the pipes/end caps are a little short for the bike.

Pedro66
09-23-2013, 06:13 PM
There are some longer tips but Rush is on back order

bigdew
09-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I also have the Black Rush pipes with 2.5" baffles. Sound is amazing. Like a foreign sports car. As for price not sure on best place. I snagged mine up on Ebay. They are a little short not by much with tips. GL1800 is all you are going to see for part numbers they do not have F6B specific pipes as I know of by now. I have put 3,000 miles on my pipes and all smiles still. You will not be disappointed.

dickiedeals
09-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I had Rush on my 2007 Harley, 2011 Harley and have the Black ones on Order For My F6B. They are great Pipes. If you find that they are too loud all you have to do is change the Baffles to a smaller size. I ordered mine directly from Rush Racing. Should be here tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know how they sound in a few days.

Dickie

Pedro66
09-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Been experimenting with some 2" baffles with extra wrapping still sounds good not so much of a drone

Rikrok
09-23-2013, 08:14 PM
I have the longest tips they offer. They have a new 9" tip coming out nest month, but that is going to extend it out beyond the bike about 3". Just can't make me happy:)

Bruce B
09-23-2013, 09:37 PM
For those with the black pipes, what have you done or are you planning to do about the chrome shields on the F6B? I'm still semi-considering the black pipes too.

Pedro66
09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
For those with the black pipes, what have you done or are you planning to do about the chrome shields on the F6B? I'm still semi-considering the black pipes too.

Got mine powder coated same texture as the exhausts

Rikrok
09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
I just hit mine with some high temp header paint. If it becomes an issue and starts peeling, I will remove and powder or ceramic coat. Don't forget to get the chrome covers way up front which covers the exhaust manifold. It just unbolts and remove the rubber trim around it.

Bruce B
09-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Got mine powder coated same texture as the exhausts

Pete, did you have the chrome stripped from the forward heat shields before powder coating? I just had a conversation with Rush about the pipes and re: the heat shields, he said to stripe the chrome. What is the approx. cost of the powder coat on the shields.

Incidentlly, I'm really happy with the luggage rack I got from you. Looks and works great.

Pedro66
09-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Pete, did you have the chrome stripped from the forward heat shields before powder coating? I just had a conversation with Rush about the pipes and re: the heat shields, he said to stripe the chrome. What is the approx. cost of the powder coat on the shields.

Incidentlly, I'm really happy with the luggage rack I got from you. Looks and works great.

Honestly I can't say for sure but I believe my powder coater did do this as he is always telling me how much extra work chrome stuff is when I drop it off to be done I also don't know costs we take him so much stuff that when I want something like this done he never seems to charge me but I guess $40-$60

yellowskeeter1
09-24-2013, 05:50 PM
I tried powder coating but it failed in about a couple days of ridding. I ended up taking my rush pipes that where chrome and originally on my gl 1800 and my heat shield and got them ceramic coated. Companies like Jet hot can do it, and believe me, do it right the first time. Powder coating did not hold up on the pipes or the shield.

dickiedeals
09-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I have my black ones on. No notible drone. I have the 2" baffles. My only complaint, but a personal one, I think the pipes/end caps are a little short for the bike.

I have to be honest with you, having been a HD rider for the past 40 years I wasn't sure what you all meant by the "Drone". Now that I've installed the Black Rush slip-ons 2.5 baffle on the F6B I understand what drone is. I like the way the pipes sound but at certain RPM Ranges they really hurt my ears. Will this go away with 2" baffles?
Stock is too quite but I can't stand the drone. Any input is welcome.

Dickie

Pedro66
09-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I have to be honest with you, having been a HD rider for the past 40 years I wasn't sure what you all meant by the "Drone". Now that I've installed the Black Rush slip-ons 2.5 baffle on the F6B I understand what drone is. I like the way the pipes sound but at certain RPM Ranges they really hurt my ears. Will this go away with 2" baffles?
Stock is too quite but I can't stand the drone. Any input is welcome.

Dickie

Yes but I feel and I cannot prove it yet that the drone may be that the pipes do not extend beyond the bags so we are getting some reverb

You can try adding some packing to the existing baffles that should take the pressure of the back of your head

dickiedeals
09-24-2013, 07:11 PM

I left them chrome. I know a lot of the guys are anti-chrome but I personally think the black makes the chrome pop and vice-versa. I may put chrome end caps.:icon_biggrin:

dickiedeals
09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes but I feel and I cannot prove it yet that the drone may be that the pipes do not extend beyond the bags so we are getting some reverb

You can try adding some packing to the existing baffles that should take the pressure of the back of your head

Perhaps I'll clamp some sheet metal around the pipe ends to extend past the bags and see if it helps. Maybe the longer tips would help. I'll let you know soon as it stops raining so I can do it.

Dickie

Pedro66
09-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Perhaps I'll clamp some sheet metal around the pipe ends to extend past the bags and see if it helps. Maybe the longer tips would help. I'll let you know soon as it stops raining so I can do it.

Dickie

I have some tip options coming into the shop so I will let you know what we find

Scotrod
09-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Not sure about the F6B, but certain vehicles will drone BIG TIME!
Wife's '11 Mustang w/V-6 is horrible just off idle/low rpms,, :no:

paolo305
09-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I've about got myself convinced to order some Rush slip on pipes in chrome. Before taking the leap, I thought I'd ask those with first hand knowledge about any pitfalls or negatives you've experienced with the Rush units. What's your satisfaction level after putting some miles on them? How about the dreaded "drone"? What size baffles are you using? How about over-all quality/fit & finish, etc.? Considering price and service, who have you found to be a good source for Rush pipes? The Rush site shows GL1800 pipes. Are these what are used for the F6B?

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Bruce

I have the 2.5 and am very happy with them the fit was and is very good and the installation was very easy. I used the factory hardware on the back mount under the cases and flip it around to mount he rush pipes it was easy. As for the sound I like it and there is no drone. here is the BUTT
they do seem to have a break in period, it almost like they tune them selves after the metal has heated a few times. I am sure I have also gotten use to the sound as well. But friends that I ride with say they notice a differnce. I believe they sound better after about 200 miles. I too wish the tips were longer but I like the finish on the ends of the tips they won't cut you like other brands that are finished like a knife.
You will also notice a drone in I want to say 3rd gear right before you need to shift up but that is the only place I have felt it.
If you only want a little rummble go smaller on the baffle than I did. But on the highway they sound good no drown I run a 11'' bagger shield and can hear my radio at 75 to 80 miles perhour with out having it crank to 30 normally right around 22 and the Rush pipes are not noticed.