PDA

View Full Version : plug or replace

Blk6bgg6
10-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Rolled the black B out this eve an dang it ,flat rear.New 3000 mile on em E4s ,by the way I like these far better than the stones.so found a screw near center of tire.Thought I would ask the respected experts ,would ya or wouldn't u plug ? Thanx for any and all responses

willtill
10-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Rolled the black B out this eve an dang it ,flat rear.New 3000 mile on em E4s ,by the way I like these far better than the stones.so found a screw near center of tire.Thought I would ask the respected experts ,would ya or wouldn't u plug ? Thanx for any and all responses

Plug it. Back out the screw and note the orientation of it going into the tire. Run the reamer in the exact same orientation and then insert the plugging tool (with string plug) the same way. Withdraw plugging tool, cut off excess.

/thread

jm21ddd15
10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
It's a tuff call, but if you decide to plug it, just takes several rides at moderate speeds, and check the air pressure often. You can park the bike in a puddle, and look for tiny air bubbles, too. Nobody wants to throw out a tire with only 3000 miles, but some holes just don't plug very well. Some holes are just a slit, while others are a sizeable tear. Worth a try, I would say, but at the same time, I would be ordering another tire, just in case. Gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Good luck. :yes:

willtill
10-19-2016, 07:29 PM
It's a tuff call, but if you decide to plug it, just takes several rides at moderate speeds, and check the air pressure often. You can park the bike in a puddle, and look for tiny air bubbles, too. Nobody wants to throw out a tire with only 3000 miles, but some holes just don't plug very well. Some holes are just a slit, while others are a sizeable tear. Worth a try, I would say, but at the same time, I would be ordering another tire, just in case. Gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Good luck. :yes:

Do not order a tire yet. :nono: When you need a tire, then order it. You want to get the freshest rubber off of the shelf. I have ordered (and stored) tires way before I actually realized I needed them... and who wants to mount a 2-3 year old tire; instead of a fresh one?

jm21ddd15
10-19-2016, 07:38 PM
OK, I agree that you want the freshest rubber you can get, but on the other hand, when people buy new bikes from the showroom, such as leftover 2013 F6B, they don't go home and change the tires, either. They ride those 3 year old tires, just like they don't go home and bleed the brake and clutch systems. Just an opinion.

Audiochris90
10-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Man I would always worry about that tire. Id be checking air all the time, too big a bike to have a ply broken on it. Imo - replace it.

F6BPDX
10-19-2016, 11:26 PM
I would vote plug it. Last set of mine had 2 plugs in the rear, went 13,000 miles. No problems.

seadog
10-20-2016, 12:11 AM
Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and isn't your life worth 250 bucks. I would change that tire in a heartbeat and don't care if it had 30 miles or 3000 miles on it. We visit triple numbers on the speedo from time to time and would never trust a plugged tire. When that tire goes flat do to the cords being hurt by anything penetrating that tire it is coming off the bike at the first opportunity to do so. JMHO

MisterB
10-20-2016, 01:27 AM
OK, I agree that you want the freshest rubber you can get, but on the other hand, when people buy new bikes from the showroom, such as leftover 2013 F6B, they don't go home and change the tires, either. They ride those 3 year old tires, just like they don't go home and bleed the brake and clutch systems. Just an opinion.
I did. Took a little longer to get to the clutch, but it got done. Thanks to the reservoir windows it was obvious that the fluid had absorbed moisture, also the front brake felt like it might've had a bubble or two in the line.
Regarding the plug: I'd plug it if the entry angle wasn't too far off perpendicular and the penetrating object wasn't too big. Please note, I am not a respected expert and have never had a flat on a motorcycle with tubeless tires. Patched more car tires than I can remember with never a problem. To save others the effort of posting I'll say it now - these are not car tires!
Still, I'd patch it!

Off-topic invisible text continues below
OT - jm21ddd15, you're digging the Elite 4s? Was gonna go double dark but don't want to leave my wife with a bike that needs new tires to sell when I kick the bucket. The Elite4 seems like the hot new longer-life tire, thinking about it.... Please post your experience as you get more miles on the tires.

bob109
10-20-2016, 05:58 AM
I did. Took a little longer to get to the clutch, but it got done. Thanks to the reservoir windows it was obvious that the fluid had absorbed moisture, also the front brake felt like it might've had a bubble or two in the line.
Regarding the plug: I'd plug it if the entry angle wasn't too far off perpendicular and the penetrating object wasn't too big. Please note, I am not a respected expert and have never had a flat on a motorcycle with tubeless tires. Patched more car tires than I can remember with never a problem. To save others the effort of posting I'll say it now - these are not car tires!
Still, I'd patch it!

Off-topic invisible text continues below
OT - jm21ddd15, you're digging the Elite 4s? Was gonna go double dark but don't want to leave my wife with a bike that needs new tires to sell when I kick the bucket. The Elite4 seems like the hot new longer-life tire, thinking about it.... Please post your experience as you get more miles on the tires.

I agree about plugging the tire! Have done many CT and MT tires over the years without any problems. I use the method of giving the T-Handle Insertion tool 1/4 turn after inserting the plug. It "knots" the plug. Having dissected my used tires, I've seen first hand the inner tire surface and there is no way a plug would fail IMHO.

Reedman71
10-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Plug it and forget it. I ran a plug on a B-King (181 HP) and it held fine.

willtill
10-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and isn't your life worth 250 bucks. I would change that tire in a heartbeat and don't care if it had 30 miles or 3000 miles on it. We visit triple numbers on the speedo from time to time and would never trust a plugged tire. When that tire goes flat do to the cords being hurt by anything penetrating that tire it is coming off the bike at the first opportunity to do so. JMHO

Nothing wrong with plugging a tire if it's a good candidate for it.

Let me ask you a question. You say that you live on a fixed income. Theoretically speaking; if you sustained a screw in your rear tire and replaced it, and then sustained another screw in the new tire; would you REALLY just keep on replacing them? :shhh:

How much money do you got? Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away? :shhh:

MisterB
10-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away? :shhh:
Recycling has an energy/environmental cost.
Plugging is the green way to go!

opas ride
10-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Plug it!!..Take the tire to a professional tire repair place and have it repaired properly from the inside and glued...With only 3000 miles on the thing it should take the repair just fine and no issues....After you re-mount the tire..Ride on and forget about it.....I know some are against this advise, but do what you feel comfortable about....I got a nail in the rear of my OEM tire at 9800 miles and replaced it with a new E4..So far so good....

Audiochris90
10-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Nothing wrong with plugging a tire if it's a good candidate for it.

Let me ask you a question. You say that you live on a fixed income. Theoretically speaking; if you sustained a screw in your rear tire and replaced it, and then sustained another screw in the new tire; would you REALLY just keep on replacing them? :shhh:

How much money do you got? Why would you be repeatedly throwing new rubber away? :shhh:

My local dealer will not plug a motorcycle tire. They will patch one. I had a patch on the rear of my vtx 1800. By the dealer. It slow leaked , big hassle. If your on a fixed income i would go for a patch. But that tire comes off the rim for that process, so for me ill put a new one on. Im only 50, (id be a classic car) and still working as a jigalo so i have income. So damm good looking. I make ten bucks a day.

Old Ryder
10-20-2016, 10:09 AM
People around here will not plug or patch a MC tire, but they will put in a tube. Why did people ever quit patching?

wjduke
10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
I believed in patching 100% until.....I patched one of mine years ago, let it sit for the winter months, mounted it, and it leaked. What happened was, off the rim, the tire flattened out and the patch sat nice. Mounted and aired up, the tire rounded out and kinked the patch. Next time, I plugged the tire, it held fine, but I changed it before I had a long trip planned. I'm a plug believer now.

F6Dave
10-20-2016, 11:02 AM
I believed in patching 100% until.....I patched one of mine years ago, let it sit for the winter months, mounted it, and it leaked. What happened was, off the rim, the tire flattened out and the patch sat nice. Mounted and aired up, the tire rounded out and kinked the patch. Next time, I plugged the tire, it held fine, but I changed it before I had a long trip planned. I'm a plug believer now.

I've also heard that a patch is more likely to develop a leak than a plug. As the tire heats/cools and flexes, apparently the patch can loosen, but the plug stays put.

Over the years I've ridden nearly 700,000 miles and changed at least 100 tires. I've plugged dozens of them. The worst problem I ever had was one that developed a slow leak. Those sticky string type plugs work great and develop a nice, patch-like blob inside the tire. They're also inexpensive and easy to carry along.

BIGLRY
10-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes I do fix them and run them if possible. If I'm on the road and it is a repairable hole on a tire with a lot of life left in it I use this type of plug system and have never had this system fail or leak air after a repair.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/stop-go-tubeless-tire-shop-repair-kit
http://images2.revzilla.com/product_images/0005/3920/Spot__amp__Go_Tubeless_Tire_Shop_Repair_Kit.jpg

Now if I am at home or near my shop, I prefer to remove the tire and use a 'Stem Patch Plug' combo which comes in variable sizes. I have never had any problems with this method either.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/multistrada/74086d1281427430-riding-plugged-scorpion-trail-tire-mushroom-plug-patch.jpg
How to do http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-permanently-repair-flat-tubeless-motorcycle-tire

willtill
10-20-2016, 01:18 PM
I like these better. They are simpler, cheaper and I have never had one fail. As a matter of fact, I once plugged an extra large hole in my truck tire with TWO strings combined; to plug the hole.

seadog
10-20-2016, 03:15 PM

At least take the time to pull it off the bike and have it patch with one of those that is a patch for inside the tire attached to a plug which is pulled thru the hole I would trust that a lot more than just sticking a plug in from the outside and betting your life on whether it would hold or not. That's for you to decide but I would never do anything with a plug or patch, new tire is the only way I would go. Again JMHO

bob109
10-20-2016, 08:28 PM
If tire plugs were as un-safe as some folks state they are, the manufacturers of those "plug kits" would be soon out of business. Attorneys/Barristers would be on the manufacturers like "flies on $hit" and, as is apparent, that is not the case as "plug kits" are readily available at Wally World, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA and just about any other "automotive store" one can can bring to mind.

Visiting a local Freight Liner Repair Center to purchase oil filters for my RV Cat Diesel, a display case, at the entrance to the Service/Parts area had a "heavy duty" plug repair kit for large "truck tires"! I'm sure these would never be used on any retreaded tire but are often used on new/virgin tires. These are the same tires used to transport 80K pounds of "loaded semi's" down the road:shock:

And yes, I'm aware that semi's never use recaps on the front steering wheels! Those oft seen tire retread remnants seen laying about every roadway in America are just that, recap separations and not the results of tire plugs:icon_wink:

blackmetoc
10-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Do not order a tire yet. :nono: When you need a tire, then order it. You want to get the freshest rubber off of the shelf. I have ordered (and stored) tires way before I actually realized I needed them... and who wants to mount a 2-3 year old tire; instead of a fresh one?

So don't treat it like the first rubber carried in the wallet? lol

willtill
10-21-2016, 06:11 AM
So don't treat it like the first rubber carried in the wallet? lol

That's a fair comparative concern :icon_lol: