PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts on the Polaris Slingshot

Greg O
10-23-2016, 10:57 AM
I have mix opinions on this cycle car. I would like to drive one though.

Old Ryder
10-23-2016, 11:12 AM
I think they are cool and if YOU HAVE A TON OF MONEY---then fine.

Personally, I think my wife's Mazda MX5 convertible is a much better choice all around. It is really a 180 HP go kart with a top and heat/AC when you need it and 35MPG at the same time. May not look as cool as the slingshot, but I also don't need a helmet to drive it either.

Milkmaster
10-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Personally, I think my wife's Mazda MX5 convertible is a much better choice all around. It is really a 180 HP go kart with a top and heat/AC when you need it and 35MPG at the same time. May not look as cool as the slingshot, but I also don't need a helmet to drive it either.

I agree!

Sorcerer
10-23-2016, 02:40 PM
You mean the ones that are under a do not use recall for catching on fire?

jeffedose
10-23-2016, 05:40 PM
also many problems with rear drive system. also not many place will work on them when they break down parts availability limited like drive belt.....

willtill
10-23-2016, 05:47 PM
You guys are just "harshing my mellow" with my current Lovefest of the Polaris Slingshot. :nono:

Although Polaris (an umbrella company) of other manufacturers (such as Victory motorcycles) screwed me on a warranted repair.

There must be something wrong about how Canadians do business. Are the indigenous folks up there just used to it, and accept it? :shhh:

VStarRider
10-23-2016, 05:57 PM
I think they are cool and if YOU HAVE A TON OF MONEY---then fine.

I also agree. The Miata has to meet crash test standards, roll over standards, provide airbags, as well as stability control to meet Federal automobile regulations. The Slingshot does not.

copper
10-23-2016, 09:41 PM
There must be something wrong about how Canadians do business. Are the indigenous folks up there just used to it, and accept it? :shhh:

Whoa there, .....really?

willtill
10-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Whoa there, .....really?

Just :poke: at ya canucks :icon_mrgreen:

JackB
10-24-2016, 06:44 AM
I took one for a short test ride and it was a lot of fun. It was fast it was easy to spin the back tire. I heard they get very hot you need to install a fan. Still fun but for $25,000 you can buy a nice used Corvette.

Bdog
10-24-2016, 08:15 AM
A friend of mine has one. Overall he likes it but one major complaint he has is the interior compartment, near the feet and legs, gets so hot that at times he and the passenger can't stand it. They also seem to have a lot of mechanical problems.

Greg O
10-24-2016, 08:32 AM
I know that you can buy a low mileage Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky turbo for $15,000 or less, these are 240 HP. I have been looking into this, I am thinking about buying a low cost convertible. I think this is a better option than a Slingshot.

RWS0292
10-24-2016, 09:07 AM
I have mix opinions on this cycle car. I would like to drive one though.

I own a 2015 Polaris Slingshot. I have the middle package with backup camera and sound system. I first want to dispel the "it's not safe" crowd. While I agree with you, so is riding our F6B's, eating too many cheeseburgers or having unprotected sex. Just stop! This is a three wheeled "autocycle" designed to be powerful and fun to ride. i am fully aware that with this comes danger. Everything in life can be dangerous so I'm moving on.

Overall, I like it. It's not supposed to be a car and it's not supposed to be a motorcycle. To me, it's kind of like a dune buggy that's more for road use. It handles very well and has automatic traction control. I am 5'9" and the seats could be more comfortable, but they aren't bad. Plenty of aftermarket options out there. Yes, it is hot. The newer models have more insulation between the 2.2 DOHC car motor and the body panels. My feet get hot as do my legs, but being from Florida I guess I don't notice the heat as much as everything here is hot. I did install the carpet matting which has calmed some of this heat down. The interior is marine grade, so there are no water issues. The unit has plenty of storage and is rather fun to run around town in. I feel fairly safe in it as it has seat belts and a rather heavy roll bar system with heavy framing. But, I don't think it would fare too well in an accident as it is very low to the ground and has bad blind spots.

The downsides are insurance, which is extremely expensive and the unit's performance in ANY type of inclement weather. The unit handles EXTREMELY poorly in rain and is extremely susceptible for hydroplaning to the point that I find it very dangerous. If you are caught in the rain, pull off immediately and just wait. There are roof options if you want, but the farkles get really expensive as you go along. It does ok on tires and gets about 30MPG. I have had no maintenance issues, but I only have 7k.

All in all, it is fun but it is a unique vehicle. My wife and I take it down the beach paved roads and run around town or out in the country when the desire occurs. It should not be considered as a replacement for a convertible car. It is rather a fun vehicle if you want to be exposed to the elements. It is a five speed manual with reverse, so you can really rip through the gears with some good music. But, it is not trying to be a convertible. I would highly recommend test driving one (not just test riding) and you need to know that the front end of this thing is as wide as a new Corvette! It takes up quite a footprint in a garage.

I've probably missed much, but this is getting long. If you have specific questions, feel free to reach out. If I had it to do over again, I would keep one in my arsenal because there are some great times in Florida on this machine. But, there are some serious downsides to this unit despite it being fun in the sun for just cutting up some open roads. I know there is a video of someone flipping one, but that seemed to be an attempt to flip it. I find that it hugs corners tightly and with the traction control (on DRY roads), I have never had it get squirrely on me. But, on WET roads I would immediately stop riding this unit. It is VERY dangerous and will hydroplane with extreme ease at slower speeds, much less fast speed. Bear this in mind.

Robert

opas ride
10-24-2016, 09:07 AM
The Slingshot is an "expensive toy" for those types that have loads of extra cash and want to be noticed with something different!!..As said by others, I would buy a used Corvette or Mustang, Mazda, or something else if I was interested.....JMHO

willtill
10-24-2016, 09:42 AM
......But, on WET roads I would immediately stop riding this unit. It is VERY dangerous and will hydroplane with extreme ease at slower speeds, much less fast speed. Bear this in mind.

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert. I had no idea they were susceptible to hydroplaning that easily. Good to know. :yes:

Stone Laker
10-24-2016, 10:16 AM
You guys are just "harshing my mellow" with my current Lovefest of the Polaris Slingshot. :nono:

Although Polaris (an umbrella company) of other manufacturers (such as Victory motorcycles) screwed me on a warranted repair.

Polaris is an American company based in Medina Minnesota not Canada.

willtill
10-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Polaris is an American company based in Medina Minnesota not Canada.

:shock:

My HUGE mistake. :shhh: I got them mixed up with Bombardier. :icon_doh: My apologies to our frozen friends up north. :duck:

RWS0292
10-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Robert. I had no idea they were susceptible to hydroplaning that easily. Good to know. :yes:

I have the original tires which still have good tread. I was on US Highway 301 (fairly recently paved and in good condition). I hit a small trench of water which looked like typical standing water in any roadway as the wheel ruts make those small "puddles". I was going about 35 when all of the sudden, the ass end of this thing came flying around and I was starting to spin. Fortunately, I have had experience with countersteering methods to retain control of a vehicle from the military and I was able to get it under control. A less experienced operator would have spun it into the ditch. I personally tested the waterproof seats if you get my drift! Scared the s#!t out of me!

I won't ride it if it looks like rain. Because the weight in all in the front (again, an old GM 2.2 DOHC motor that Polaris bought the rights to) and the single drivewheel in the back (light), this thing screams hydroplane. Even at a light when raining, it is almost impossible to take off without spinning the back tire. You have to be really gentle in rain or wet conditions. I will say that during dry conditions, there isn't any buffeting and it seems to be extremely aerodynamic and comfortable for the rider. There is a windscreen that runs the length, which is about 12" tall and it does a good job of wind protection. In Florida, a helmet is not required and I find that wearing one is very uncomfortable. To demonstrate what I mean, put your helmet on and sit in your car. The seat is not well designed to accommodate the helmet and it tends to push your head forward and put pressure on your spine. I generally throw on my Honda Motorsports hat and ride out on this, yet I am religious about wearing my helmet on any bike. Yep, dangerous but fun. :)

willtill
10-24-2016, 12:21 PM
In Florida, a helmet is not required and I find that wearing one is very uncomfortable. To demonstrate what I mean, put your helmet on and sit in your car. The seat is not well designed to accommodate the helmet and it tends to push your head forward and put pressure on your spine. I generally throw on my Honda Motorsports hat and ride out on this, yet I am religious about wearing my helmet on any bike. Yep, dangerous but fun. :)

Yes, I think that this would be one vehicle whereas I would wear one of those non-DOT pirate type looking helmets; in order to appear legal and at the same time; allowing for comfort. To me; I think that it's really no different than riding in a dune buggy... which do not require helmets.

zeus661
10-28-2016, 08:20 PM
My Thoughts? Great little car.

Cool Hand Luke
10-30-2016, 07:20 AM
These vehicles seem to have many problems:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/10/28/manufacturers/polaris/polaris-slingshot-recalled-canada-three-separate-issues/

willtill
10-30-2016, 07:43 AM
These vehicles seem to have many problems:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/10/28/manufacturers/polaris/polaris-slingshot-recalled-canada-three-separate-issues/

Guess I better let the current owners and Polaris work out the bugs then... :shhh:

Some of those shortcomings are serious flaws.