PDA

View Full Version : 2017 get together ?

stepbill
10-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Any ideas yet on where and when it may be? Inquiring minds would like to know :icon_biggrin:.

Redlinez
10-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Somewhere near NC I'm sure ;)

53driver
10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Let's get through the election first......we'll see what options are left! Lol.

pitcherd
10-28-2016, 06:03 PM

That is a a funny statement, but unfortunately there is a lot of truth.

I was very happy with Russelville, AR and would go back there with no problems.

F6B1911
10-28-2016, 06:53 PM
I was very happy with Franklin, NC and would go back there with no problems.
I was very happy with Russelville, AR and would go back there with no problems.

Allen Framen
11-07-2016, 05:46 PM
I'd like to show off my skill at complicating things. Here are some mid-Atlantic possibilities. I've attended motorcycle gatherings at each of these. They all have large parking lots for burnouts and wheelie contests, and they all have restaurants and bars within walking distance - if not on site.

Marietta, OH
lafayettehotel.com

Fayetteville, WV
Quality Inn New River Gorge

Staunton, VA
Howard Johnson Express Inn

Of course, northwest Arkansas always works. I was kidding about the burnouts and wheelie contests.

allen

SierraKen
11-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Why not an entirely different location more centrally located like Colorado. The Rockies offer an entirely different riding opportunity. Great roads, wonderful scenery and elevation.

stepbill
11-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Why not an entirely different location more centrally located like Colorado. The Rockies offer an entirely different riding opportunity. Great roads, wonderful scenery and elevation.

Have to admit that I have always wanted to go to Colorado! :biggthumpup:

53driver
11-07-2016, 07:39 PM
It's not really fiscally viable for the forum proceeds to adequately cover, but having an East Coast Rally and a West Coast Rally is not horribly far fetched.

Need to know if that's something we want to explore, and if there is a "registration fee" to cover some costs (tent/beer/water/gatorade) how many people would be needed to register in advance (i.e. Non refundable) to make it plausible?

I'm just tossing this out there for discussion - NO DECISION has been made!!!!
Cheers,
Steve

Steve 0080
11-07-2016, 08:06 PM
I just did a trip out to Denver and beyond !!! Unbelievable riding and the elevations will take your breath...literally !!! The problem there is it would take a week + to see some of it . I was out there for 2 + weeks. Read $$$$$.

I am a fan of NC. But would also like to see a West coast rally so those folks could attend...again $$$ for everyone from the East coast. When AK was first mentioned I stated the above. I still say it. You will gain some, you will lose some, it's nice to spread the love !!! Labor day weekend is a special weekend for me as I have been meeting friends that weekend for over 10 years. I need to be somewhere that weekend. Again we will gain some and lose some...

There are a lot of things in the air right now. I suggest we think about this over the winter and get serious about the discussion after Feb. first !

F6BPDX
11-07-2016, 09:57 PM
I would love to see something happen in the west. I have wanted to attend the last two years but making the trek from Oregon just eats up too much time and dollars (9-10 days to really do it right).

I do understand that the east has more people in a smaller geographic area but it would be nice to bounce out west once every couple years.

copper
11-07-2016, 11:55 PM
I would love to see something happen in the west. I have wanted to attend the last two years but making the trek from Oregon just eats up too much time and dollars (9-10 days to really do it right).

I do understand that the east has more people in a smaller geographic area but it would be nice to bounce out west once every couple years.

I think for those in the west that are interested, best to set one up out here. Start small, & see who is interested, & make it a weekend event would be my suggestion.

C

GNW
11-08-2016, 07:20 AM

:agree:

Retired Army
11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Colorado = legal marijuana,

dh2253
11-08-2016, 08:40 AM
It's not really fiscally viable for the forum proceeds to adequately cover, but having an East Coast Rally and a West Coast Rally is not horribly far fetched.

Need to know if that's something we want to explore, and if there is a "registration fee" to cover some costs (tent/beer/water/gatorade) how many people would be needed to register in advance (i.e. Non refundable) to make it plausible?

I'm just tossing this out there for discussion - NO DECISION has been made!!!!
Cheers,
Steve

As I live in North Central Texas, it would probably be about equidistant for me, so if the timing was right I would try to do both.

Regards,
Dave

53driver
11-08-2016, 08:57 AM
As I live in North Central Texas, it would probably be about equidistant for me, so if the timing was right I would try to do both.

Regards,
Dave

I think that's a great idea - that they would be at different times to accommodate people traveling to both.
I'm in that circle too!
Cheers,
Steve

DTOM
11-08-2016, 10:09 AM
It would be great if something were organized closer to the guys out west (says the guys out west):icon_lol: I would be interested in east or west locations, but unfortunately for me, the ability to ride August through early November is severely hampered by my decision to coach my sons youth football team. My life goes on hold during some of the best riding months...so sad. But by all means...go west, young man!

Bighutch14
11-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I was just looking at the map. I dont know the area but Cheyenne,WY isnt much farther a ride for us Midwest folks than NC or AR. Now that might be a trek for the East coast folks.

53driver
11-08-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm starting to think Colorado and Kentucky.
Mid August and early September, respectively.

We would need some "on-site" members in each location to do the boots-on-the-ground work.
- Find a decent motel, in a 'wet' county (lol)
- Find a tent guy
- Find some coolers
- Navigate and document some good routes
- Tie the Rally in with any local happenings, festivals, etc
- Find a local Honda dealer who wants to sponsor us
- Deconflict with any other biker operations. i.e. we don't want the Rally the same time as the _______ MC is having their annual bash.

If anyone has the people & relational skill sets to be the "On Scene Commander" for either one of those locations, please PM me and let's get a dialogue going and explore the possibilities.
Cheers,
Steve

Bdog
11-08-2016, 10:56 AM
I like that idea 53driver. It seems that having two gatherings in different locations would help more people to attend. I would diffidently try to come to a rally if it was somewhat close to home.

six2go
11-08-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm starting to think Colorado and Kentucky.
Mid August and early September, respectively.

We would need some "on-site" members in each location to do the boots-on-the-ground work.
- Find a decent motel, in a 'wet' county (lol)
- Find a tent guy
- Find some coolers
- Navigate and document some good routes
- Tie the Rally in with any local happenings, festivals, etc
- Find a local Honda dealer who wants to sponsor us
- Deconflict with any other biker operations. i.e. we don't want the Rally the same time as the _______ MC is having their annual bash.

If anyone has the people & relational skill sets to be the "On Scene Commander" for either one of those locations, please PM me and let's get a dialogue going and explore the possibilities.
Cheers,
Steve
Not a bad idea at all. However; Kentucky can still be Gawd Awful hot in September. I attended two VRCC Rallies in Paduhcah, and it was so hot & humid that folks wouldn't come out of the hotel. Late September to mid October would be more comfortable.

SierraKen
11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Seems as though there is some interest in Colorado. Let me suggest Montrose as a location. The Gl1800 group has been using this location for several years. It's located in an area where there are at least 5 days of riding if you have that long. The Red Arrow motel is use to handling large groups of bikes and their facities are reasonable and they seemed to really enjoy hosting. There is a Honda dealer a half mile down the road.

I realize we are just beginning our discussions on location but if Colorado becomes feasible, I would be willing to do some phone work to assist in making this happen.

CoCoKola
11-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Seems as though there is some interest in Colorado. Let me suggest Montrose as a location. The Gl1800 group has been using this location for several years. It's located in an area where there are at least 5 days of riding if you have that long. The Red Arrow motel is use to handling large groups of bikes and their facities are reasonable and they seemed to really enjoy hosting. There is a Honda dealer a half mile down the road.

I realize we are just beginning our discussions on location but if Colorado becomes feasible, I would be willing to do some phone work to assist in making this happen.

Excellent ideas. Colorado would be a definite pick.

Blk6bgg6
11-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Really like hearing Kentucky idea,would be great for me and I believe many Midwestern states.Especially as still working in the factory this works well

lake_carl
11-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Why not spring say east central like Kentucky and fall west central like colorado

terryboyle
11-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Not a bad idea at all. However; Kentucky can still be Gawd Awful hot in September. I attended two VRCC Rallies in Paduhcah, and it was so hot & humid that folks wouldn't come out of the hotel. Late September to mid October would be more comfortable.

I googled WingDing and for 2017 and they are having it in
GRAPEVINE, TX Gaylord Texan Resort
from
Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2017

Can't stand the heat in Canada in July and those madmen want something in Texas in August. Too hot to even consider.:hitfan:'firefire'

Jimmytee
11-08-2016, 09:05 PM
I could probably do some leg work for Kentucky prospect.
:icon_wink:

53driver
11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Why not spring say east central like Kentucky and fall west central like colorado

Good idea! Have them 6 months apart so getting "permission" might be easier?

53driver
11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
I could probably do some leg work for Kentucky prospect.
:icon_wink:

You're hired!!!

Battoo
11-09-2016, 04:35 PM
we just got back from west virginia and it was Great we both commented about how Nice the roads was

unsub
11-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I googled WingDing and for 2017 and they are having it in
GRAPEVINE, TX Gaylord Texan Resort
from
Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2017

Can't stand the heat in Canada in July and those madmen want something in Texas in August. Too hot to even consider.:hitfan:'firefire'

My wife and I are already planning to stop by Grapevine on our B next year on our way to Florida.

jm21ddd15
11-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Two rallys, Great idea. And 2 new locations, even better. N.C. and Arkansas were both great, but new roads and places to see are what I look for. I will make both if they happen. Allready planning a 3 week trip west in July. Retirement is fun.

jeffedose
11-11-2016, 02:54 AM

telluride,Rico,lizard head pass,Delores,monarch pass,gateway canyon and car museum,blue Mesa reservoir,lake city,creede,chama pass,silverton,ouray,McClure pass,independence pass,Aspen,marble,grand Mesa,monarch pass,pagosa springs....just a few. I have mil ages and past routes I have done as well here in Colorado if it happens or you start doing something with it....

NAHD
11-11-2016, 07:00 AM
I say we crash Sturgis:)

53driver
11-11-2016, 10:47 AM
telluride,Rico,lizard head pass,Delores,monarch pass,gateway canyon and car museum,blue Mesa reservoir,lake city,creede,chama pass,silverton,ouray,McClure pass,independence pass,Aspen,marble,grand Mesa,monarch pass,pagosa springs....just a few. I have mil ages and past routes I have done as well here in Colorado if it happens or you start doing something with it....

Jeff, you are hired too!

Jimmytee
11-11-2016, 05:47 PM
You're hired!!!

I'm good with that if we were to do Kentucky. Lots of good roads and places to go. Bourbon Trail just to name one popular item.

53driver
11-11-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm good with that if we were to do Kentucky. Lots of good roads and places to go. Bourbon Trail just to name one popular item.

I'm suddenly thirsty and right now it would have been after five o'clock last week...

tpwood
11-15-2016, 08:10 PM
Colorado = legal marijuana,

I was wondering when that was going to come up"

F6B1911
11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
I say we crash Sturgis:)

Sturgis would be great, let's just do it before or after the HD rally.

speedjunkie
11-16-2016, 06:56 PM
If you're doing Sturgis, better make it pretty early or later on. Too damn hot in July & August!

Mike

F6B1911
11-17-2016, 05:47 AM
An East and West Rally is an great idea.
Here's a thought for the East Rally, why not try to make it coincide with the 15th Annual 2017 SE Ohio Motorcycle Ride.
There are some excellent roads in SE Ohio.
Not to mention I could max max out my credit card at the Value Accessories trailer.

jeffedose
11-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Jeff, you are hired too!

lol ahhh more projects. we will see where this idea ends up.....

mitch46732
11-26-2016, 08:54 AM
My issue with attending isn't so much location cause ill ride my f6 anywhere. i only get 2 times a yr for vacation. week of 4th of July and Christmas being i live in northern Indiana 4th of July week is only thing feaseable

stepbill
12-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Any more thought?

Papawhip
12-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Hey all, just want to get my input down on paper. I was quite jealous of last years rally after reading all the cool posts. Since I am in California it is difficult to make it to the same location. Not that I wouldn't mind the ride but I just don't have the time off work. I feel that to be fair to all, a spot like Colorado would work great. Everyone has to put a little effort into getting there but allows both side of this great F6b country to come together in rider harmony. Hope we can make it happen as I'd really like to meet as many of the knowledgeable folks that I am following on this forum. So there it is just my .02 worth.
Thanks

Phantom
12-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Sorry Fellas, just not able to spend time on this at the moment.

Perhaps look into Holiday Inn Express in Maryville TN. Its near the Tail of the Dragon and plenty of nearby restaurants.

At this moment I still have my hands full. Steve (53Driver) may have other suggestions.

SoCal Rich
12-19-2016, 11:19 PM
If there are 2 rallies, I hope to do both!

F6B1911
01-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Steve, now that the election is over....
Have you come up with any news on the 2017 Rally?

53driver
01-09-2017, 11:38 AM
I confess I have not.
I still have Christmas decorations up....

Phantom & I need to sit down, break some bread/eggs and hash this out.

Steve

cueman
01-09-2017, 12:17 PM
An East and West Rally is an great idea.
Here's a thought for the East Rally, why not try to make it coincide with the 15th Annual 2017 SE Ohio Motorcycle Ride.
There are some excellent roads in SE Ohio.
Not to mention I could max max out my credit card at the Value Accessories trailer.

I agree! SE Ohio roads are DYNOMITE! :lolup: cueman

Phantom
01-09-2017, 01:07 PM
As much as we should change venues, it is difficult to find locations that compare to our most popular rides in the Smokey Mountains. We are open to suggestions however the final venue will not please everyone.

Even though many of us have taken these roads before, I personally don't have a problem returning to them.
From one location we have some of the best riding available in such a small concentrated area ....

The Rattler/Shiners Run
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Cherohala
The Tail of the Dragon/ Deal's Gap
The Hellbender 28
The waterfall Byway along the Cullasaja River
The Cherokee Run with a stop at the "Wheels Through Time" museum for those who have never been

Plus several restaurants, hotels and conveniences nearby.

We could select a Hotel at one of the following locations .....
Maryville, TN
Franklin,NC
Maggie Valley, NC
Cherokee, NC
Waynesville, NC

Early arrivals, afternoon of Wednesday August 30th with departure on Sunday 9/3/17 or Monday 9/4/17 (Labor Day Weekend)

Thursday and Friday hit the most popular roads before the weekend madness and on Saturday and Sunday hit the least travelled roads.

This is just a suggestion, 53Driver and I will discuss details as soon as we can. :icon_cool::yes:

53driver
01-09-2017, 01:17 PM
As much as we should change venues, it is difficult to find locations that compare to our most popular rides in the Smokey Mountains. We are open to suggestions however the final venue will not please everyone.

Even though many of us have taken these roads before, I personally don't have a problem returning to them.
From one location we have some of the best riding available in such a small concentrated area ....

The Rattler/Shiners Run
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Cherohala
The Hellbender 28
The Cherokee Run with a stop at the "Wheels Through Time" museum for those who have never been

Maryville, TN
Franklin,NC
Maggie Valley, NC
Cherokee, NC
Waynesville, NC

Early arrivals, afternoon of Wednesday August 30th with departure on Sunday 9/3/17 or Monday 9/4/17 (Labor Day Weekend)

Thursday and Friday hit the most popular roads before the weekend madness and on Saturday and Sunday hit the least travelled roads.

This is just a suggestion, 53Driver and I will discuss details as soon as we can. :icon_cool::yes:

Kewl!

F6B1911
01-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Count me in on the schedule above.
Perfect!!
Plus Labor Days gives us all an extra riding day.

CoCoKola
01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Phantom,
THANK YOU for taking time out of your crazy life to put together rally idea. I screamed down the theTail of the Dragon/Deals gap once, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Gents and ladies, let's set this up!

The Rattler/Shiners Run
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Cherohala
The Hellbender 28

Maryville, TN
Franklin,NC
Maggie Valley, NC
Cherokee, NC
Waynesville, NC

Battoo
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Bad dates for me , we will be in Grapevine tx for the Wing Ding already reserved

jm21ddd15
01-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Too much traffic on the Holiday weekend. Understand about getting there early, but , then to drive 1000 miles home in the Holiday traffic, well, not for me. As you said, not all will agree.

stepbill
01-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I could be wrong but haven't all of the other rallies been during this time period with no issues traveling?

Phantom
01-09-2017, 06:57 PM
I could be wrong but haven't all of the other rallies been during this time period with no issues traveling?

All but last years in Arkansas.

We have never had any traffic issues, we avoid the congested routes in the mountains on Saturday and Sunday

2wheelsforme
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
The Smokey Mountains are great. And a few choices also: Eastern TN, Western NC or even North GA. Of course the great roads continue into both VAs. I love the area East of Franklin and Highlands, great roads and not much traffic. Stay away from the north side of the mountain and you miss most of the Dollywood type traffic.

stroguy
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Who rides on Interstates?

53driver
01-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Traffic logic:
Labor Day weekend traffic is usually those people traveling to a local backyard BBQ or to the shore and back.
And while I'm sure there's BBQ in this area, people aren't traveling in for it.
And there sure ain't no beach.

Now when you get local, like say in WI? All bets are off.
The local traffic from lake excursions, Packer games, cheese rallies, brat bbq, etc are a local phenomenon.
Go Pack, GO!

CoCoKola
01-09-2017, 10:03 PM
The recent fire cause a problem? I'm not versed on what was impacted besides Gatlinburg..

willtill
01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
The recent fire cause a problem? I'm not versed on what was impacted besides Gatlinburg..

A silver lining (sort of) in that. At least you will be able to see through some curves. :shhh:

53driver
01-10-2017, 09:48 AM
A silver lining (sort of) in that. At least you will be able to see through some curves. :shhh:

Well that takes all the fun out of it!!!!

DTOM
01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Who rides on Interstates?

+1:icon_lol:

ReserveBum
01-10-2017, 01:59 PM
The "area" is ok. In Gatlinburg itself they lost some structures (including the one I was in that burned within minutes of us getting out!). I dont think it would affect a rally.

stepbill
01-10-2017, 08:00 PM
I know that I'm in this year. The knee is replaced and like new. Looking forward to it!

taxfree4
01-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Is it a dry town? No offense you know who.

taxfree4
01-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Traffic logic:
Labor Day weekend traffic is usually those people traveling to a local backyard BBQ or to the shore and back.
And while I'm sure there's BBQ in this area, people aren't traveling in for it.
And there sure ain't no beach.

Now when you get local, like say in WI? All bets are off.
The local traffic from lake excursions, Packer games, cheese rallies, brat bbq, etc are a local phenomenon.
Go Pack, GO!

Steve-O This RC is so big you may be able to fit in if you crouch a little. So I'm not hijacking the thread I think this is Gatlinburg...maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFUhT8vHNs

53driver
01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Is it a dry town? No offense you know who.
Nope - very wet.

Steve-O This RC is so big you may be able to fit in if you crouch a little. So I'm not hijacking the thread I think this is Gatlinburg...maybe.

THAT is cool! Thanks!

stroguy
01-11-2017, 06:48 PM
That 53 is sweet. Now if we could get Gene Wilder to shrink down a SEAL team to fit in the back.

Ixol Phaane
01-11-2017, 11:40 PM

The Rattler/Shiners Run
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Cherohala
The Hellbender 28

Maryville, TN
Franklin,NC
Maggie Valley, NC
Cherokee, NC
Waynesville, NC

Oh, yeah! Me likee!
I thoroughly enjoyed my first rally in this area in 2015. You better believe I'm in.
Of course, Arkansas last year was also fantastic, and several folks have put up some pretty decent suggestions like CO and CA... and I'd love to ride in any of these places. But if it comes down to rolling back across the country to the Smokies, I'll be there.

I'd rather ride the Smokey Mountains with the people of this forum than with the finest people in the world! :icon_biggrin:

53driver
01-12-2017, 09:33 AM
...I'd rather ride the Smokey Mountains with the people of this forum than with the finest people in the world! :icon_biggrin:

I thought we WERE the finest people in the world.....better work on my schtick....

tpwood
01-12-2017, 08:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFUhT8vHNs

Cool '53, spent 4 years in the Navy on RH-53D, HM-12 Airborne Minesweepers,

masonmike
01-15-2017, 02:18 AM
YES, tail of the dragon, count me in. One more destiny to take off my bucket list.

blackmetoc
01-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Isn't there the Three Sisters in TX? I thought that was supposed to be a good ride. A little more middle for both east and west, but a bit far south for guys riding from up north.

Holliwood
01-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Sorry if it was already communicated, however, I can not find the date of the 2017 rally. Has that been decided? If so when? Thanks. Mark

stepbill
01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Sorry if it was already communicated, however, I can not find the date of the 2017 rally. Has that been decided? If so when? Thanks. Mark

It's normally held the week of Labor Day in the US. I don't believe that it has been firmed up yet.

Crazyhorse
03-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I can't seem to find the thread on the 2017 Rally. Has it been removed or I'm I over looking it?

53driver
03-06-2017, 08:44 AM
I can't seem to find the thread on the 2017 Rally. Has it been removed or I'm I over looking it?

It got lost in the big update - it shall be back soon.

Quick info: Arrive Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat/depart Sun of labor day weekend
Pidgeon Forge
Name of hotel eludes me, but it was something like "Vacation Lodge."

That's all I got....
Steve

Crazyhorse
03-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Thanks Steve. The motel is Vacation Lodge Pigeon Forge, TN 865-453-2640. Already have my reservation but wanting to keep up with who's going.

53driver
03-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Thanks Steve. The motel is Vacation Lodge Pigeon Forge, TN 865-453-2640. Already have my reservation but wanting to keep up with who's going.

Thanks CH.
I know others were looking for this information to make their reservations.
I was waiting for that thread to return - and I have faith that it shall - but I'm glad we got the info out there for anyone who is ready to have fun this fall.
Cheers,
Steve

Elroy
03-06-2017, 01:30 PM
It got lost in the big update - it shall be back soon.

Quick info: Arrive Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat/depart Sun of labor day weekend
Pidgeon Forge
Name of hotel eludes me, but it was something like "Vacation Lodge."

That's all I got....
Steve

The Vacation Lodge in Pigeon Forge
865-453-2640
vacationlodge.net

zzh54
03-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys, I've been waiting for this info to make my reservations. That's what make this board the best place to visit on the interweb

Elin in So. Cal.
03-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Have to admit that I have always wanted to go to Colorado! :biggthumpup:

I'll be in Colorado with the Dragon Beast the first weekend and before Sturgis.... Golden, CO.

GaTeach
10-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Every word of this thread made me lol