PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather bogging

Craig_328
10-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Took my bike out for a ride the other day in 34 degrees. Let her warm up for 5minutes before the ride.

When compression braking I noticed a shutter/bogg in the bike and the rpms dropped down like it was trying to cut off.

I noticed this previously in april when it was in the 40s on a cooler night.

Today i let her warm up for 10 minutes prior to my commute to work...34 degrees compression studdering or bogging

Anyone else experience this behavior?

jm21ddd15
10-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Warming up the motor is good, however, it does not have any effect on the rest of the bike, like the final drive, or brake system. When things cool off, it is typical to have some different sensations, as to how the cycle feels. The big question is, did those issues go away after riding for awhile?

53driver
10-29-2016, 10:25 PM
In colder weather ( <50 ) I will let the bike warm up to where I see a deflection in the temp gauge.
Until that temp gauge gets to the usual spot (almost midway), I pretty much disregard any weirdness in the motor keeping idle or anything else related.
She's gonna rev higher and behave 'differently' than 'normal.'

Now, if she's behaving weirdly after the temp gauge is properly positioned, that might be cause for further data collection.
Cheers,
Steve

BIGLRY
10-30-2016, 04:08 PM
In colder weather ( <50 ) I will let the bike warm up to where I see a deflection in the temp gauge.
Until that temp gauge gets to the usual spot (almost midway), I pretty much disregard any weirdness in the motor keeping idle or anything else related.
She's gonna rev higher and behave 'differently' than 'normal.'

Now, if she's behaving weirdly after the temp gauge is properly positioned, that might be cause for further data collection.
Cheers,
Steve +1

Steve 0080
10-31-2016, 08:20 AM
+2... it is also amazing how in colder weather a 5 min stop will really cool off the bike. I noticed this out west, to the point that my CT would show low air when 10 min earlier it was perfectly fine! Cooler weather changes things !

wjduke
10-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Try the TPMS systems here in cold weather winters...drives us crazy.

53driver
10-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Try the TPMS systems here in cold weather winters...drives us crazy.

I did - it did. Fixed it by moving to Florida. :icon_mrgreen: