PDA

View Full Version : New F6B owner needing a windshield.. not sure what size, make and model.?

svnten
10-31-2016, 10:11 AM
I just bought my F6B last week, it came with the shorty stock windshield and I want something taller. I am 5 ft 7 and my wife rides with me a lot as well, she is 5 ft 2. I am not a fan of bugs hitting my full faced helmet and also want the less buffering we both can get. I will go with a clear shield but not sure which one? I ride daily to work 90 miles r/t highway commute. Do the vents really work in the stock taller windshield or should I get something else? I don't mind looking through the windshield either for comfort. I am just not sure which route to go.

Thank you

imported_NMRed
10-31-2016, 11:21 AM
Go Madstad first and be done with your quest, Probably an 11 inch for you and your wife.

Ixol Phaane
10-31-2016, 11:29 AM
Love me some Madstad. :icon_biggrin:

svnten
10-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Go Madstad first and be done with your quest, Probably an 11 inch for you and your wife.

Does the Madstad just mount on the current shorty windshield? Is it an easy install?

Ixol Phaane
10-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Does the Madstad just mount on the current shorty windshield? Is it an easy install?

The Madstad is two pieces.
The base replaces the OEM shield. Then the adjustable brackets and upper shield bolt onto the base. And, yeah... it's a pretty easy install.

gregj
10-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Another vote for the Madstad. :cheers:

lloydmoore1
10-31-2016, 12:39 PM
yep another vote for Madstad. 11' will work fine for your height.

I originally had the tall shield with the vent. It did not work for me or my wife. The vent didn't help IMO and bugs would cycle around in a vortex and always land on the wife or my lap..not good if she doesn't like or in my case is allergic to wasps. :icon_doh:

The Madstad allows you to move the outter windshield about 3 inches of travel up or down and angles in or out to allow as much or no air through to the driver or passenger.
the best solution for all driving conditions

Redlinez
10-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Clearview gets my vote.

53driver
10-31-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm a MadStad follower....but I have one bit of advice:
You wrote "I don't mind looking through the windshield either for comfort."

For comfort...okay....
But for safety, my experience is a bit different:
I was riding along on a bike I was transporting for a friend.
The windshield was well above my line of sight.
No problem.
Right up until a semi-tractor rolled through a mud puddle and threw mud all over the windshield and I was effectively "blind" at 70 mph.
I stood on the pegs, got clear of traffic, got over, stopped, wiped down the windscreen, and continued.

Never again will I willingly have a windshield that I look through.
Just my experience.
Cheers,
Steve

Sonny
10-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Another vote for madstad.:biggthumpup:

gmorstad
10-31-2016, 04:50 PM
I just bought my F6B last week, it came with the shorty stock windshield and I want something taller. I am 5 ft 7 and my wife rides with me a lot as well, she is 5 ft 2. I am not a fan of bugs hitting my full faced helmet and also want the less buffering we both can get. I will go with a clear shield but not sure which one? I ride daily to work 90 miles r/t highway commute. Do the vents really work in the stock taller windshield or should I get something else? I don't mind looking through the windshield either for comfort. I am just not sure which route to go.

Thank you

I have a Clearview 16" tinted with the upturn (like new) that I will sell for $125.00 plus shipping. It is an excellent shield but too short for me at 6'1".

Gary

VStarRider
10-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Another vote for the Madstad. I have the 13" and am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. When positioned all the way up, it deflects nearly all the air off my torso, but still allows me to see over it.

For the summer, I lower it about 1/3 of the way from the highest position, and tilt the adjustable screen towards me. This essentially puts the shield only a few inches above where the stock shorty was, but the design of the Madstad smooths out the flow of air so there rarely is buffeting.

Here's the deal with the Madstad: they design it to have air flow under the screen smoothly. That's the trick of it. Most buffeting and noise on a bike comes from turbulent air swirling around the not-so-aerodynamic stuff behind your windshield. Without a fairing, you need "lowers" to smooth out this flow. The Madstad has the same effect built in to its design since the F6B has a fairing.

I even like the looks of mine! They look a lot better in person than they do on their website.

Brasco
10-31-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm your height and find my Klock Werks flare 14 inch (dark smoke) works great -- it also comes in 16 inch version. I easily look over this shield and it moves the wind up and over very well IMHO.

Wing'n it
10-31-2016, 09:29 PM
I have tried several and my choices are in order...
1) Madstad (this is my current windshield and worth every penny)
2) Cut down Goldwing shield (yep I cut down a stock Wing shield with the vent and its actually a great shield)
3) Clearview (these are great shields but height is a fiddly affair to pick the right size)
4) Stock Honda tall F6B shield with vent (it works but the passenger buffeting is the worst)

JMartin
10-31-2016, 09:51 PM
I'm watching this thread with great interest... as of yet I do not own an F6B, but I'm watching the market and waiting to pounce.

In the mean time, I actually rented an F6B for a full day (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9671-I-wanted-to-share-my-F6B-Rental-Experience) and had an absolute blast on it. It had the 11" Madstad windshield and was adjusted for the Registered Owner. I was only about an inch taller than he, and I must say there was no turbulence and it performed excellent. Problem is... I don't really care for all the adjustable hardware hanging off the top of the bike. I'm hoping to find the one-piece equivalent without having to purchase three or four to make up my mind.

That being said... I have purchased two shields from ClearView, one for my PC800 (now sold), and one for my current ride, an ST1100P. ClearView makes a great product and both have performed well. In hindsight, the +5 that I got for the PC800 was about 2 inches too tall (had to look through it), but the +4 that I got for the ST1100P is excellent. About 2 inches below my line of sight. I won't make that mistake again. All my future shields will be just about 2 inches below the line of sight.

Just my $.02.

Jim

stratochile
11-01-2016, 07:12 AM
I use the long ride shield, 15" quality piece, great value....check out their website longrideshields.com

wjduke
11-01-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm your height and find my Klock Werks flare 14 inch (dark smoke) works great -- it also comes in 16 inch version. I easily look over this shield and it moves the wind up and over very well IMHO.

+1... 5'11" here, slight turbulence which I don't mind, but as said here, it moves the wind mostly up and over my helmet....very rarely catch any bug action...usually only from the side. I think it's good looking too...many compliments.

rdeady
11-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I have a 17" honda with vent- I do not recommend it lots of buffeting at 60+
I tried the mra windscreen bolted to the 17" shield- did nothing much for me
I tried both 11 and 13" madstad and although it was better then the honda it still didn't do what i was hoping for. It did get rid of a lot more of the buffeting but certainly not all. At 5 10" i saw easily over the 13" The customer service at madstad was topnotch though.
Of course i tried the stock shield and combined with the large fairing it directs air at your head like crazy.
Next move (if i dont sell the bike) is a f4 plus 4 or a optic armor plus 4 or a similar look through shield. Never looked through one before but im willing to try. Heck my buddy has better wind protection (head area) on his old fatboy with a large shield he looks through.
It may just be that i am a woosy

Hornblower
11-01-2016, 04:33 PM
My humble opinion of course but Madstad is the best, ugly windscreen out there. If you're into function over form, the Madstad is something to seriously consider.

Delta
11-01-2016, 04:43 PM
After a while you don't even notice the adjustable hardware.

Battoo
11-02-2016, 03:39 PM
14 inch Klockwerks flare , got it on my wing and the wifes F6

Big TP
11-02-2016, 05:21 PM
I've been running the 16 inch Klokwerks Flare but find it too tall. Prior I had the 14 inch, too short. Any advice?:banghead:

Brasco
11-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I've been running the 16 inch Klokwerks Flare but find it too tall. Prior I had the 14 inch, too short. Any advice?:banghead:

I know guys who have cut their windshields down with good success but I'd probably give the job to a shop that has some experience with things like this. Just an idea for the 16" shield you have.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-cut-down-motorcycle-windshields-safety

Big TP
11-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Yep! That was my thought but I need to find someone locally that would do it. The other option may be the V Stream shield. Anyone have any experience with the V Stream?

wjduke
11-03-2016, 04:50 AM
I have the shorter Klockwerks. I'm 5'11". On last nights ride, I intentionally felt the blow over with my hand and it goes right over my helmet at 50 mph. As I mentioned earlier, I rarely get any bugs on a direct front hit. I do get some hits from the sides. Being on a bike, you have to expect some buffeting, but I feel that at least for me, this shield fits perfectly. I do ride solo 100%, so no clue on the affects to a passenger.

Ixol Phaane
11-03-2016, 11:08 AM

+1 It's never an issue at all.

Big TP
11-03-2016, 12:29 PM
I think I will try to cut about an inch off the 16" and take my chances. If I screw it up......V Stream.

svnten
11-03-2016, 02:14 PM
I have a Clearview 16" tinted with the upturn (like new) that I will sell for $125.00 plus shipping. It is an excellent shield but too short for me at 6'1".

Gary

Sounds good. I emailed you on here so let's make a deal.

Old Ryder
11-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Kept the
1-stock shield for about 400 miles (or better known as the ride home)
2-Klockwerks 14" tinted
3-Baggershield
4-Madstad
5-I am back to the stock shield with the MRA X-screen bolt on spoiler. To me all of the other shields just killed the looks of the B. I wanted a F6B--not a Goldwing!!!!! .dickie-deals. The X Screen is about 75-85% as effective as the Madstad as you play with all of the adjustments and configurations.

JMHO

Big TP
11-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Has anyone cut the windshield from the bottom with success? Seems to be the easier fix

F4 Customs
11-08-2016, 08:17 AM
F4 manufactures a windshield from High Optics Polycarbonate with not distortion. They also shed rain like Rain X on steroids and won't scratch even with steel wool.
We make them in 14" 16" 18" and 20" in either tint or clear and with and without a vent.
Please let us earn your business.
330-968-4644
www.f4customs.com4540454145424543

Big TP
11-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Well today I cut a notch at the bottom center of the 16" Klokwerks Flare and was able to drop it about an inch or more around the center brace. Drilled 3 new mounting holes and tightened it up. Perfect. Now I it's about mustache level and still good wind protection without being in my line of sight. :icon_biggrin:

svnten
11-09-2016, 08:49 PM
I ordered an 18" vstream and so far so good. I thought it would be taller than it is as I am 5'7 and this is at nose level on me. I can still see just fine over the top. No buffeting on me or my wife so far. We have not had much time to ride distance yet. These are super easy to install compared to my ctx1300 that I traded. That thing was a biotch.

Big TP
11-09-2016, 09:05 PM
I know the V Stream is known to push air away from the sides but how is it from over the top? I always assumed the key was to get a "curved" shield to push the air up and over. Glad your find it works well for you.

svnten
11-09-2016, 09:16 PM
I know the V Stream is known to push air away from the sides but how is it from over the top? I always assumed the key was to get a "curved" shield to push the air up and over. Glad your find it works well for you.

I drove it 100 miles today on the highway. It seems to flex down an inch at speed and the wind hits about an inch down from the top of my helmet. I can turn my head easily when changing lanes and not get my head slammed by wind as I did before with the shorty stock. I did move my head from side to side to see if there was any wind and there was not much on the sides as before.

So far I am a fan, may try another style in a month or so depending on how this suits my wife as a passenger. It was only $140 for the 18".

Big TP
11-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Very tempted to go with a Taka recurve. I hand a Windvest which is almost identical on my Road Glide and loved it. Just hate the guesswork with which size would be right.

seadog
11-10-2016, 06:11 PM

My matte silver Deluxe and I both like the Bagger Shield, I have the one you can convert from 11 inches to 19 inches. It quite versatile and everyone has an opinion on what works or doesn't work. The Bagger Shield allows the stereo volume to be lowered but that shield might be too tall with the clear section up on top. But its easily inverted and the 11 inch might just be the ticket. But when you get caught in a rain, the tall version is a godsend.