PDA

View Full Version : To vent, or not to vent....

Redlinez
11-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Shopping windshields and I did like my Clearview vented sport recurve, but I'm looking at other options as well. I remember them emailing me saying they had production issues and it took forever to get it. Still considering them though. Longrideshields are definitely less expensive, they look great but have no vent. Also considering the Honda accessory vented tall shield. I will pretty much almost always have my wife on the back. I'm 5'10, but have a tall torso. My inseam is 29/30. I did appreciate the vent in my Clearview during hot rides and I think it gets rid of that dead air space just behind the shield. Thanks for any input. I don't like the looks of the Madstad, so I haven't spent any time looking into them.

willtill
11-01-2016, 04:00 PM
It's nice to have that option. Get a shield with a vent.

Steve 0080
11-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Vent is a must have as far as I am concerned !!!!!

edgeman55
11-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I have run the Baggershield 19" with vent for two years now.It has held up well and has stayed scratch free which is saying a lot here in the high wind dusty high desert.Vent to me is a must as it can get some air into the cockpit and helps when open with back turbulance.Baker wind wings help a lot too which I have with the shield.Pictures were taken before I had installed the Baker Wings.45254526

53driver
11-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Vent is a must have as far as I am concerned !!!!!

A little "male menopause" there Steve-o????
Suddenly a bit warm at the wrong times?
Lol.

When you coming up to the panhandle????

unsub
11-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Shopping windshields and I did like my Clearview vented sport recurve, but I'm looking at other options as well. I remember them emailing me saying they had production issues and it took forever to get it. Still considering them though. Longrideshields are definitely less expensive, they look great but have no vent. Also considering the Honda accessory vented tall shield. I will pretty much almost always have my wife on the back. I'm 5'10, but have a tall torso. My inseam is 29/30. I did appreciate the vent in my Clearview during hot rides and I think it gets rid of that dead air space just behind the shield. Thanks for any input. I don't like the looks of the Madstad, so I haven't spent any time looking into them.

That's me. I use an OEM tall windshield with vent. It suits me and the machine, to a Tee. No cutting, no sanding, no taping, no drilling, no adjusting. Bolt on. Done.

ff73148
11-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Look into a See Baily windshield.

Redlinez
11-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Vented it is. Thanks. Hey Steve080, have any of your passenger backrest extensions??? :)

terryboyle
11-01-2016, 09:39 PM
but I could use an extension too. How much are they?

SimonTemplar
11-02-2016, 02:20 AM
14" Clearview Shield with recurve here.

The vent was a waste of money for me. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether it is open or closed.

I'd rather have the added visibility ahead.

.....sT

Redlinez
11-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow, it worked great on my Clearview. I pushed the lever down all the way and directed air on my abdomen and I could definitely feel it. Kept it closed when it got chilly too.

Old Ryder
11-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Personally, I love the versatility of my stock shield and the MRA bolt on spoiler. It functions almost as good as the Madstad. I have the clear spoiler and with the stock shield blacked out it is hard to notice that it is even there from a few feet away. In the lowest point, I can change the angle and get some protection or else raise it all the way for almost complete coverage---or I can retract it to the lowest position flat against the stock shield and I get all of the air I want.

This is my 5th setup and the only one that gives me every option for air movement that I can adjust in less than 10 seconds to fit the temperature of the moment.

Redlinez
11-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Never looked at one of those, will check it out. Thanks!

Old Ryder
11-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Never looked at one of those, will check it out. Thanks!

Forgot to add the link. :icon_doh:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-touring-bolt-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-windshield-extension?gloc=1&gclid=COzss_TritACFQIaaQoddrIJAg

jaygollner
11-02-2016, 03:10 PM
The Baker built hand wings work well to direct air flow towards or away from the rider. I have them installed as well as the stock tall Honda windshield and love them both.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/h18hw.html

Steve 0080
11-02-2016, 07:10 PM
A little "male menopause" there Steve-o????
Suddenly a bit warm at the wrong times?
Lol.

When you coming up to the panhandle????

Not sure... male menopause...that's a good one !!!!! Always to hot here in F L A !!!

Steve 0080
11-02-2016, 07:29 PM
but I could use an extension too. How much are they?

Vented it is. Thanks. Hey Steve080, have any of your passenger backrest extensions??? :)

As of now I do not have any of the risers made. If I can get a couple more folks interested I may make a run after the first of the year ! So far there are two people interested.
Thanks for the interest !!!

Redlinez
11-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Looks like I'm between Baggershield and Clearview. Gotta decide if the recurve and tint are worth $100 more than the Baggershield. Those are the differences that I see anyway. I did like the looks of my Clearview.

zeus661
11-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Had a vent in the Clearview on my Valkyrie. Couldn't tell a difference whether open or closed. But I did have to replace the vent after about 5 years because it started to crumble. Bought the tall Honda windshield with vent for my F6B. Couldn't tell a difference when open. Installed Baker hand wings and those things work great. Have a Madstad shield now and love it.

blueverclear
11-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Well I actually ordered a vent from ebay and installed it on my non-vented windshield myself (not sure of the brand). I Just took some measurements and cut out the hole using some blue painters tape where I made my marks and a grinder with a diamond blade. Also came back with a file and cleaned up the cut a bit. Worked out great!

Grant

Edit: Really glad I did this, I wasn't happy with the windshield before because I was getting some unwanted buffeting but the vent shoots a pocket of air straight up which creates somewhat of a bubble for the rider and cuts down on the buffeting significantly.

Redlinez
11-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Do you know what kind of windshield you have?