PDA

View Full Version : Added XM Radio

hiflyer
09-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Bought a unit at Best Buy, everything fits and plugs in the left glove box. Power, audio. Antennae mounted there also. Took all of about 5 minutes and sounds great for 50 bucks.

srkeet
09-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Hey Hiflyer,

Let us know how you hooked it all up! And let us know how the antenna works in the box.

thanks,

sr keet:shock:

hiflyer
09-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I'll post a picture after work.

hiflyer
09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Plugs into power socket, audio plugs into unit. Using 3m mounting tape on the base of the unit, unit mounted in glove box. Using 3m, antenna mounts in corner. Antenna works under the closed lid. I used the 3M product, which makes for a secure mount, so that unit could be removed easily in case I wanted to use the box for something else at a later date, being as the bike is only a week old. Works great!

Pedro66
09-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Take the dash surround out and mount the antenna up inside the shelf for better reception

edgeman55
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Could you give the model # of the radio you bought.I have been wanting to add XM to my F6B.

hiflyer
09-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Mine is the XE21V1, but I wish that I had looked at the SirusXM website before I bought, they have a smaller unit, XMCK5P, that has a close out price of $14.99.

bobbyf6b
09-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

hondabikepro
09-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Bought a unit at Best Buy, everything fits and plugs in the left glove box. Power, audio. Antennae mounted there also. Took all of about 5 minutes and sounds great for 50 bucks.

i also installed a xm radio in the same way works really good, installed antenia in the center of windshield on dash.

contek
09-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you have to access the unit to control it or can it be done through the f6b audio controls?

hiflyer
09-26-2013, 11:55 PM
You have to open the glove box and tune, preselect buttons. Not an issue for me because there are usually just a couple I listen to.

hiflyer
09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
To clarify, unit uses the aux on the radio, volume controlled thru the stock Honda audio controls.

Pedro66
09-27-2013, 12:03 AM
We have an XM interface on the bench that we are hoping to run via the USB interface this will give you full control and channel names on screen

contek
09-27-2013, 09:17 AM
We have an XM interface on the bench that we are hoping to run via the USB interface this will give you full control and channel names on screen

Thanks everyone.
Pete I'd be interested in that if anything comes of it.

edgeman55
09-27-2013, 12:52 PM

I would jump all over this when you have it ready to sell.

BACA
09-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Please post when it's ready for purchase....I on it.

JesseS
09-28-2013, 10:37 PM
I use a Garmin Zumo 665 on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. Cable runs down under the stock cable cover, under the triple tree cover, then inside the fairing on the left side under the box. Powered from the Aux plug, I drilled and grommeted the bottom of the box for the audio input and antenna tuner cables. The OEM aux audio jack plugs into the Zumo's Audio input, and the antenna tuner is attached to the underside of the lid with Velcro.
I also use a Sena Bluetooth system for intercom and music when the wife is aboard, when solo I can listen either via the Sena, or turn it off and the music automatically switches to the dash speakers. All in all I am very happy with the setup, and as the Zumo is waterproof I am not worried about rain. For those rare times when there is no sat signal I have a USB thumb drive with a few thousand songs plugged into the USB port.

srkeet
10-01-2013, 12:10 AM
:icon_frown:

Hiflyer,

The power socket in the left fairing pocket that you plugged your Sirius/XM- is that an add-on? I had a 2002 Wing and i seem to remember that there was a low power OEM connection hiding under the left pocket. Is this still so? I need a service manual! Somewhere in one of these forums i saw a discussion of the best place to get said manual- i better get after it!

Thanks for the help and God bless,
srkeet

photodiver
10-01-2013, 11:39 AM
I use a Garmin Zumo 665 on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. Cable runs down under the stock cable cover, under the triple tree cover, then inside the fairing on the left side under the box. Powered from the Aux plug, I drilled and grommeted the bottom of the box for the audio input and antenna tuner cables. The OEM aux audio jack plugs into the Zumo's Audio input, and the antenna tuner is attached to the underside of the lid with Velcro.
I also use a Sena Bluetooth system for intercom and music when the wife is aboard, when solo I can listen either via the Sena, or turn it off and the music automatically switches to the dash speakers. All in all I am very happy with the setup, and as the Zumo is waterproof I am not worried about rain. For those rare times when there is no sat signal I have a USB thumb drive with a few thousand songs plugged into the USB port.

When you say the Zumo's audio input, I take it your talking the 2.5mm mic jack. In which case you would need a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter.

hiflyer
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
:icon_frown:

Hiflyer,

The power socket in the left fairing pocket that you plugged your Sirius/XM- is that an add-on? I had a 2002 Wing and i seem to remember that there was a low power OEM connection hiding under the left pocket. Is this still so? I need a service manual! Somewhere in one of these forums i saw a discussion of the best place to get said manual- i better get after it!

Thanks for the help and God bless,
srkeet

You are correct, the connection is there, and the socket was 20 some odd bucks.

JesseS
10-03-2013, 06:34 PM
When you say the Zumo's audio input, I take it your talking the 2.5mm mic jack. In which case you would need a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter.

John, that should have read ' The Zumo's Audio OUTPUT' not using the mic plug for anything.

photodiver
10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
After reading the manual again and the paper that came with the gps, I figured that out.:icon_biggrin:
Me and instructions don't always get along.
It's still not possible to get the radio to your helmet using the Bluetooth.

Hook
10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Had my XM on my F6B since new....love it and no fading in and out :clap2:

db24
11-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Pete, any progress with this?

edgeman55
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM

How is this coming along Pete?

Big Jay
11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
After reading the manual again and the paper that came with the gps, I figured that out.:icon_biggrin:
Me and instructions don't always get along.
It's still not possible to get the radio to your helmet using the Bluetooth.
You need the adapter from the headset plug to the 3.0 end and the sm 10 from sena to get radio to your helmets. Its about 135$ for the set up.

Mike B
11-22-2013, 12:07 PM

One can only assume that it didn't work, correct?