PDA

View Full Version : Not an oil debate...but...

rumble-b
11-03-2016, 12:25 AM
I'm not trying to open the whole, "which oil is best " debate , but just making an observation. While doing my service on the weekend, air filter , plugs etc, i decided to try a different oil. I'd been using Honda HP4 semi synthetic until now, but have tried Belray 10 w 40. The difference in shifting is quite noticeable. I'm surprised. I didn't think it would make much difference to the feel of the gear changes.

oiler
11-03-2016, 04:35 AM
I use Belray EXP (semi synthetic) 10w40 too...I like it. I used Belray products in my Harley as well and was very pleased.

willtill
11-03-2016, 07:07 AM
I think ANY new oil rated for a motorcycle; will always result in perceived smoother shifting... as compared to the OLD oil that was just drained from it.

F6Dave
11-03-2016, 07:22 AM
I think ANY new oil rated for a motorcycle; will always result in perceived smoother shifting... as compared to the OLD oil that was just drained from it.

That's true. Over thousands of miles the old oil breaks down and the viscosity gets lowered. Most any new oil will have a higher base viscosity and make the shifting smoother for a while. This is especially noticeable with heavier weight oils like Mobil 1 15W-50.

Old Ryder
11-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Patiently waiting for another Seadog and Willtill debate. :icon_lol:

Let the fun begin!

opas ride
11-03-2016, 08:40 AM
+1 willtill....I have done the same thing over and over and after a couple of thousand miles the trans shifts the same old way!!...Regards

seadog
11-03-2016, 09:25 AM
My 07 m109r Suzuki had a second gear shifting problem, a lot of the guys were tearing down the transmission and angle cutting the second gear to make it shift better. All I did was change from Suzuki's regular oil to Castrol Actevo 10W40 semi synthetic, the tranny started shifting better, and with 2000 mile oil changes improved to a point where my shifting problem no longer existed. So the right fresh oil is definitely an improvement, and that Castrol fixed my problem completely. When I sold the bike for my F6B it didn't have a shifting problem at all. Remember their slogan,"ITS NOT JUST OIL ITS LIQUID ENGINEERING"

edgeman55
11-03-2016, 03:31 PM
I bet that Belray oil poured out of the bottle fast which makes it a better oil to run thru those small 1800 oil passages-LOL sorry I just could not help myself:stirthepot:

willtill
11-03-2016, 03:45 PM
I bet that Belray oil poured out of the bottle fast which makes it a better oil to run thru those small 1800 oil passages-LOL sorry I just could not help myself:stirthepot:

Did you know that if you changed your oil at a high sea level location, the lower atmospheric air pressure will allow it to also flow more freely? And the best part is that the oil will continue to retain that free flowing characteristic once it's in the engine, and sealed up in the crankcase; regardless if you are in a low sea level location...

:shhh:

They don't call it "Rocky mountain high" for nuth'in....

:icon_mrgreen:

MotoMike
11-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Let me tell you what the best oil is, hands down.

HA! Gotcha.... :stirthepot: