PDA

View Full Version : Rented an Indian Chieftain

VStarRider
11-03-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm in Dallas for a conference and had some free time this afternoon, so I arranged to rent a 2014 Chieftain to check out North Texas.

I rode about 150 miles over 4 hours.

It took me awhile to get used to the controls , true cruiser seating position, and the cruiser handling traits. Riding this bike confirms to me that the F6B is not a true cruiser or bagger, JMO.

Impressions:

Power - plenty available but our Hondas would run away from it in any race. The big Vtwin has gobs of power down low and I love that attribute ... in too high of a gear, but just roll the throttle on at 1200 rpm and there's just ample "push". Not blistering, just a nice shove. I pulled over on a 75 mph interstate to check my map and this bike had enough acceleration to pull out into traffic and get up to traffic speed within 500 ft or so.

Comfort - this is the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever ridden, hands down. Expansive leg room, great factory seat and good placement of controls (except cruise). I only stopped a couple of times and never got sore. Again, this seat and riding position was awesome.

Ride - beyond plush. Rear shock is especially good. Bridge joints and RR tracks 100% absorbed...not exaggerating...I literally did not feel them. Don't know how they engineered it so well. Suspension is tuned very soft compared to F6B...this bike will wallow over heaves and dips like an old Lincoln. I loved the ride but it's not fit everyone.

Noise/vibration - not sure how Indian did it but they engineered out 99% of the vibration from this engine. A quiet ride except drivetrain noise that is easily drowned out by radio. Factory exhaust is a lot louder than metric cruisers. No vibration even at 80 mph .

Handling - took awhile to get used to. F6B much more nimble and I feel safer on the Honda. I feel like I can throw the big semi Wing around fairly easily. Riding a cruiser takes more planning and rider inputs. The fairing makes the steering heavier. The extended fork angle is not reassuring on uneven pavement which there is a lot of in the Dallas area. I had it down pretty good after some curves and small space maneuvers. The Indian handles better than my VStars but not in the same realm as F6B.

Shifting - butter smooth except funding neutral. 1st and 2nd clunk loudly but still smooth. Honda clutch much better. Love having six speeds but lots of downshifting! 3000 rpm @ 80 mph.

Brakes - not confidence inspiring. Glad there's ABS because they seem hard to regulate. I much prefer linked brakes. Never got used to the auto-style rear pedal.

Features - The Chieftain sets the standard. Fob start, no key; remote locking bags; cruise; Bluetooth; info laden gauge and instrument package . Electric windshield is awesome - way better than I thought. Adjusted it for rain, wind, traffic multiple times for comfort.

I really, really liked this bike. Looks are a little gaudy but everything else made up for it. If I was in the market I would out this bike #1 on my list.

tinkerman
11-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Spectacular review......much more positive than I would have thought.

tink

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks. I'm still caught up in what a pleasant experience it was spending four hours on this bike.

The F6B is like a BMW 7 series.
The Chieftain is like a Cadillac DeVille.

JGF6B
11-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks. I'm still caught up in what a pleasant experience it was spending four hours on this bike.

The F6B is like a BMW 7 series.
The Chieftain is like a Cadillac DeVille.

Nice review.

Once correction though: The F6B is like a BMW 7 series after somebody stole all of the electronics and installed a stereo system from a 1985 Toyota corolla.

willtill
11-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Nice review.

Once correction though: The F6B is like a BMW 7 series after somebody stole all of the electronics and installed a stereo system from a 1985 Toyota corolla.

:lolup:

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Nice review.

Great point!

Yeah, hate to say it, but the Indian is light years ahead of the F6B in creature comforts and tech. The info screen can even show both the artist and song! And the outside temp without having to push a button!

My ugly self
Lake Ray Roberts, 40 miles north of Dallas. Highway goes over dam.

Lake Ray Roberts from boat ramp.

Something else I wanted to mention...the handgrips on the Indian are very comfortable and well designed. The throttle by wire system makes holding speed effortless but it is not as responsive as a cable throttle.

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 09:00 AM
One more thing....cruise control...significantly underrated.

Old Ryder
11-04-2016, 10:12 AM
I have demo-ed ALL of the Indians and they are a wonderful machine along with the 2 Victorys that I have owned. Polaris knows how to build a bike.

However one thing that you did not mention, is what happens when something breaks? The closest Indian dealer is 2 hours away, and if they are anything like Victory (and I bet they are) they will have minimal parts on hand and everything is a one week wait at best. Even for warranty work, the dealer has to get approval from Polaris before they do anything beyond troubleshooting.

Let me say it one more time just to be very clear. Victory and Indian are a magnificent design with a history of dependability---but when they do break down there are stories out there--mine being 4 or 5 of them--that are very hard to believe.

Even after saying all of that---if a bag of cash fell from the sky onto my front lawn, the Dark Horse would get a lot of thought. :stirthepot:

willtill
11-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I have demo-ed ALL of the Indians and they are a wonderful machine along with the 2 Victorys that I have owned. Polaris knows how to build a bike.

However one thing that you did not mention, is what happens when something breaks? The closest Indian dealer is 2 hours away, and if they are anything like Victory (and I bet they are) they will have minimal parts on hand and everything is a one week wait at best. Even for warranty work, the dealer has to get approval from Polaris before they do anything beyond troubleshooting.

Let me say it one more time just to be very clear. Victory and Indian are a magnificent design with a history of dependability---but when they do break down there are stories out there--mine being 4 or 5 of them--that are very hard to believe.

Even after saying all of that---if a bag of cash fell from the sky onto my front lawn, the Dark Horse would get a lot of thought. :stirthepot:

You are not lying. I will NEVER own another Victory :nono:

opas ride
11-04-2016, 11:05 AM
You are not lying. I will NEVER own another Victory :nono:

I guess a lot depends on where one lives and the dealer network in the area...I have owned 2 Victory's and had no dealer issues or wait for parts when I needed service or whatever....Penske owns the local Indian/Victory dealership close to me and they are first class in my opinion...If I were to consider another large bike it would probably be the Indian Dark Horse or Chieftain...I have ridden both and really like the comfort, ride, power, great seat, and controls.....But, still pretty hard to let go of my F6B and go back to a V-twin.....The Vics are also a nice ride and I like the Magnum the most......Ride safe JMHO

Old Ryder
11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
I guess a lot depends on where one lives and the dealer network in the area...I have owned 2 Victory's and had no dealer issues or wait for parts when I needed service or whatever....Penske owns the local Indian/Victory dealership close to me and they are first class in my opinion...If I were to consider another large bike it would probably be the Indian Dark Horse or Chieftain...I have ridden both and really like the comfort, ride, power, great seat, and controls.....But, still pretty hard to let go of my F6B and go back to a V-twin.....The Vics are also a nice ride and I like the Magnum the most......Ride safe JMHO

You are correct. Florida has some great dealers that cover Polaris shortcomings. One of the best stories involved a new buyer, with 0 miles on the odometer and as he was peeling off the safety sticker on the tank the paint came off with the sticker---peeled a large sheet right off the metal. Polaris refused to cover it saying that paint was not covered under warranty. The dealer stepped up and fixed the tank for the customer---but Polaris will gladly hang you out to dry.

adventurous1
11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Stellar review. Picked up the B strictly for touring purposes. Have a custom 06 Road liner ( w / 65K flawless miles) for the 50 to 100 mile rides up and down the coast or traversing through the local canyons here in LA. Though I used to use the liner for touring.

Come Jan / Feb looking to trade in the liner for in an Indian Darkhorse......or a Thunder Mtn. Custom chopper. Thx again for the review. And I hear the 2016 Indian ride better than the 2014 you rented.

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Chieftain beats F6B:

Ride quality
Torque
Seat
Comfort features
Technology
ABS
Foot room
Shift quality
Long distance cruising
Fuel Economy (but requires 91)
Bag storage
Bag management
Stereo
Handgrips

F6B tops Chieftain:

Acceleration
Handling
Wind protection (lower body)
Build quality
Reliability
Engine heat management
Dealer network
Maintenance of appearance
Passenger ergonomics
Clutch operation/feel
Braking modulation/feel

Just my opinion! Your experiences may vary. :stirthepot:

wjduke
11-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Chieftain beats F6B:

Ride quality
Torque
Seat
Comfort features
Technology
ABS
Foot room
Shift quality
Long distance cruising
Fuel Economy (but requires 91)
Bag storage
Bag management
Stereo
Handgrips

F6B tops Chieftain:

Acceleration
Handling
Wind protection (lower body)
Build quality
Reliability
Engine heat management
Dealer network
Maintenance of appearance
Passenger ergonomics
Clutch operation/feel
Braking modulation/feel

Just my opinion! Your experiences may vary. :stirthepot:
Are you sure about long distance cruising? I did an 800 mile day one time, could have done more, plus have done a few 6-700 milers, plus on the stock seat....I question the Chieftan on that. My friend with his Indian said no way in hell. I can't and won't argue any other comparison from your experience, but...

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Are you sure about long distance cruising? I did an 800 mile day one time, could have done more, plus have done a few 6-700 milers, plus on the stock seat....I question the Chieftan on that. My friend with his Indian said no way in hell. I can't and won't argue any other comparison from your experience, but...

I figured I'd get some pushback on that one. It's just my opinion, and no ass is the same. I'm basing my assertion on the 150 mile I took, with only two stops. That's a common distance I'll do on my F6B and I'll be experiencing some burning and soreness and a lot of fidgeting in the last 25 miles especially. I felt zero fatigue, soreness, burning after riding the Indian. Perhaps it's the foot room, not sure. That's the case despite the F6B having a lot more flexibility in ass positioning.

All this being said, I think very highly of the F6B stock seat. I have no desire to change it. It's the second best stock seat I've put my hiney in.

My feeling on long rides:

I could never do an 800 mile ride on anymotorcycle. The last 500 miles would be pure torture.
I rode 360 in one day in August with a dozen stops and I was toast by the time I got home. I think it's as much mental fatigue as physical. I don't find long rides pleasurable in any way. 200 miles max for me, unless it's my one long ride per year. It's about quality not quantity.

wjduke
11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I figured I'd get some pushback on that one. It's just my opinion, and no ass is the same. I'm basing my assertion on the 150 mile I took, with only two stops. That's a common distance I'll do on my F6B and I'll be experiencing some burning and soreness and a lot of fidgeting in the last 25 miles especially. I felt zero fatigue, soreness, burning after riding the Indian. Perhaps it's the foot room, not sure. That's the case despite the F6B having a lot more flexibility in ass positioning.

All this being said, I think very highly of the F6B stock seat. I have no desire to change it. It's the second best stock seat I've put my hiney in.

My feeling on long rides:

I could never do an 800 mile ride on anymotorcycle. The last 500 miles would be pure torture.
I rode 360 in one day in August with a dozen stops and I was toast by the time I got home. I think it's as much mental fatigue as physical. I don't find long rides pleasurable in any way. 200 miles max for me, unless it's my one long ride per year. It's about quality not quantity.
This is no lie and I understand what you're saying. Everyone is different. On my way home from NC, I rode 8 hours, had 6 more to go, and the only thing that stopped me was common sense. I was in a zone and could have kept going. I knew I should stop and did for the night. Once again, just me...

Jimmytee
11-04-2016, 05:35 PM
The Indians are fine machines. I wouldn't be opposed to owning one, but not at the elimination of my F6B. The handling and acceleration things are pretty high on my list of importance. :icon_wink:

As far as comfort, my F6B often sees 6- 800 mile days. Of course my seat isn't stock, I have Helibars and the Ergo III highway pegs are essential for me.

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 05:54 PM
The Indians are fine machines. I wouldn't be opposed to owning one, but not at the elimination of my F6B. The handling and acceleration things are pretty high on my list of importance. :icon_wink:

As far as comfort, my F6B often sees 6- 800 mile days. Of course my seat isn't stock, I have Helibars and the Ergo III highway pegs are essential for me.

Handling, acceleration... No competition. F6B hands down. Braking too. Indian brakes were mushy and not linear.

adventurous1
11-04-2016, 06:07 PM
300 - 400 miles / day with the occasional 450 (LA to Sedona or LA to Zion to begin adventures) over 10 hrs is plenty for me....and if I bring the latest lady friend. Not big on interstates though getting thru the 2 deserts to start the journey is a necessity.

300 miles ish / 10 hrs along 2 lane black tops allows time to take in all the sights whether it's Zion, Bryce, HWY 12, McCall, Jackson hole, Moab, Glacier national park, Yellowstone, telluride, million dollar hwy, PCH to Carmel, Santa Barbara wineries, etc, etc, as well as checking out ice cold libations at small town microbreweries, mom and pop diners, etc etc. What I dig about the B, is after a long day of adventurous travel, I don't feel all beat up when going to dinner. The B was well worth the 11K I paid for it. JMO

Jimmytee
11-04-2016, 07:44 PM
300 - 400 miles / day with the occasional 450 (LA to Sedona or LA to Zion to begin adventures) over 10 hrs is plenty for me....and if I bring the latest lady friend. Not big on interstates though getting thru the 2 deserts to start the journey is a necessity.

300 miles ish / 10 hrs along 2 lane black tops allows time to take in all the sights whether it's Zion, Bryce, HWY 12, McCall, Jackson hole, Moab, Glacier national park, Yellowstone, telluride, million dollar hwy, PCH to Carmel, Santa Barbara wineries, etc, etc, as well as checking out ice cold libations at small town microbreweries, mom and pop diners, etc etc. What I dig about the B, is after a long day of adventurous travel, I don't feel all beat up when going to dinner. The B was well worth the 11K I paid for it. JMO

3-600 mile days are pretty common for me. And that's back road twisty riding, not Interstate. :icon_wink:

Steve 0080
11-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Great Post...I will have to go ride one!

Funny thing about daily mileage between folks. A good friend of mine is done...d o n e at about 250 miles. Me on the other hand am just warming up. Everyone is different. For those who have a little trouble adding to the miles, go buy some seamless underwear! Best money you will ever spend. Cycle gear has them ( Heat Out ) $20 on sale and L.D. Comfort has them for 3X's that price. Not a lot if difference if any...just a thought!

VStarRider
11-05-2016, 07:19 PM
That's good advice! I may have to take that idea. There's talk of a trip to Maine using U.S. Route 1 among riders at work 'round the water cooler....

As for the wide variation in mileage capability...

Perhaps we should all put a picture of our butts up here and compare them. Maybe there's something about the arse of a 500 mile can that is different that our lower-mileage hineys!

:lolup:

bigdawg
11-05-2016, 08:29 PM
The Indians have nice features. However, they still put out too much heat on the right side for me. I have never thought that about a motorcycle before and I have owned multiple bikes that others have complained about the heat and it didn't bother me like the Victories and a Honda ST1300. If they ever water cool the Indians I think they will have a great product.

VStarRider
11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
The Indians have nice features. However, they still put out too much heat on the right side for me. I have never thought that about a motorcycle before and I have owned multiple bikes that others have complained about the heat and it didn't bother me like the Victories and a Honda ST1300. If they ever water cool the Indians I think they will have a great product.

It did throw a lot of heat off the back cylinder. I read a review on Motorcycle Consumer News about the Roadmaster (basically the same bike) that said that heat was quite noticeable, but not intolerable. I would agree with that assessment. I was in Dallas-area traffic for the first 45 minute of my ride, and I really felt the heat on my hamstrings but it was just warm, not uncomfortable. Temps were in the mid to upper 70s. 80 F+...might be bad in stop-and-go traffic, though MCN tested it when temps were in the 90s. I rarely ride in traffic in my home territory, so heat management is not a Top Five issue for me.

Obviously, the F6B runs nice and cool with its brilliant dual-radiator design. My VStars both ran cool as well, despite being free-air cooled only (no oil cooler). I never felt hot, or even warm, in the handful of times I was in traffic with these bikes (I owned an 04 and 08). How the hell did Yamaha do that?!?

One more observation on the Indian:

I noticed the oil filter, a spin-on type, located in the lower front of the engine, behind the front tire and positioned slightly above a direct line to the bottom of the fender/skirt. The Indian is dressed up pretty well with generous fenders, but still, this thin-metal filter being exposed like that...ugh...I dunno, seems like that has the slim potential to not end well.

willtill
11-06-2016, 12:38 PM
One more observation on the Indian:

I noticed the oil filter, a spin-on type, located in the lower front of the engine, behind the front tire and positioned slightly above a direct line to the bottom of the fender/skirt. The Indian is dressed up pretty well with generous fenders, but still, this thin-metal filter being exposed like that...ugh...I dunno, seems like that has the slim potential to not end well.

My past DL650 had the same oil filter orientation - exposed. Not sure why they design them like that.

Travelor
11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
My past DL650 had the same oil filter orientation - exposed. Not sure why they design them like that.

"They" probably do it that way so "they" don't have to listen to all the bitchin from owners about how hard it is to change their oil and filter!!:stirthepot:

willtill
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
"They" probably do it that way so "they" don't have to listen to all the bitchin from owners about how hard it is to change their oil and filter!!:stirthepot:

Oh yea? I think not! :nono: Ever try to change out the shims for a valve adjustment on a DL650? :shock:

Again, a sucking chest wound would be more enjoyable than that feat.

I am digressing here but....

...one of the main reasons I had bought a Victory Vision in the past, is because it never needed valve adjustments. But other things kept going "tits up" on it... negated any advantage of owning a bike that didn't require valve adjustments. :jerkit:

tommyb
11-07-2016, 02:49 PM
I've ridden the Chieftain a couple times now and I agree, it's a great bike. The only gripe I had was the design/look of the instrument panel...very cheap looking. Thankfully, Polaris listened to their customers and redesigned it. Much better, the best looking IMO. I don't hang on to bikes very long, only a couple years. The Roadmaster is top of my list for 2018.

VStarRider
11-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Polaris has to work hard not to make things look cheap/flimsy.

Some flimsiness and lack of attention to detail and precision is what shifted me from the Vic CC Tour to the Honda.

One of my sleds is an older Polaris (2001) and I see a lot of cheapness in certain parts / build quality on that model too.

I actually like 2014-15 instrument panel more than the new one with the touchscreen. Gauges on my rental looked a little chintzy but I prefer the older style setup. Looks more balanced.

Old Ryder
11-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Indian and Victory are a well made solid machine. I never noticed much corner cutting except for the "hang on the bar" cruise control. They could have done better there. All of the chrome and plastic/fiberglass work is top notch. Some of the paint on the Victory drew a lot of conversation as the clear coat would scuff very easy.

willtill
11-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Indian and Victory are a well made solid machine. I never noticed much corner cutting except for the "hang on the bar" cruise control. They could have done better there. All of the chrome and plastic/fiberglass work is top notch. Some of the paint on the Victory drew a lot of conversation as the clear coat would scuff very easy.

:nono: Maybe for the current Indian... but not for Victory (at least the Vision)

Some of my body panels never lined up well. But it has been the most comfortable bike I had ever owned. I put a lot of money into it (aftermarket) but upon the front inner drive sprocket seal failing TWICE and they refused (the local dealer - Chesapeake cycles) not fixing it right the first time; paid out of my pocket.. they wanted to charge me again for the second failed repair.

It's interesting how many bad reviews are out on this dealer as well. Though Yelp tries to hide them:

https://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/chesapeake-cycles-annapolis

Goodby Victory Motorcycles. :039: Your dealership service departments suck. :moon:

VStarRider
11-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Will, if you thought the Vic was the most comfortable bike you have ever ridden, you would absolutely love the Indian. I have ridden the Vic and the Indian is several times better in ride quality and seat comfort.

On a side note...

Got back on the Honda for the first time since my Indian experience. Man, what a difference between these machines. There is no way they belong in the same category.

wantone
11-16-2016, 07:09 PM
I bought 15 chieftain after I totaled my F6b. I traded that pos for street glide special in less than 6 weeks. There's terrible buzz around 2800 rpm's in floor boards. I know SG rattles like crazy on stops but it's way smooth than any other vtwin I have ridden. And I have had Close to 13 bikes in less than 3 years. I have put 12,000 miles on SG in 4 months I've owned it. I know and understand it won't freaking last like F6b, but I've had more fun on SG than any other bike including f6.