PDA

View Full Version : New F6B,, dealer told me 1st service at 600 miles.

svnten
11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
I have a week old F6B, bought it with zero miles now close to 1k.

I checked the manual and it says to change the oil at 4,000. The dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles so they could change the oil and do an overall check of the bike.

This is at my cost as well, $160 or so. I just don't want to void any factory warranty, but also don't want to just give $160 away.

I called another Honda dealer and he told me not needed until 4,000 miles.

Comments / advice please on servicing this new bike.

adventurous1
11-04-2016, 12:11 PM
I have a week old F6B, bought it with zero miles now close to 1k.

I checked the manual and it says to change the oil at 4,000. The dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles so they could change the oil and do an overall check of the bike.

I called another Honda dealer and he told me not needed until 4,000 miles.

Comments / advice please on servicing this new bike.

Both dealers are correct. The 500/600 check is basically to make sure everything is secure and functionally properly and you"re good to go. Afterwards there's a sched check and/or adjustment, air filter, etc. (including oil change) every 4K.

Big TP
11-04-2016, 01:20 PM
IMO. Follow the Owner's Manual. Those engineers know what they are doing when they design these machines. Dealer's Service Dept are the biggest profit centers in the building. They prey on your fear, well some anyway.

unsub
11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
If you do take it in for the "600" , and I'm not saying you should, then make sure they check the final drive levels. For piece of mind if nothing else.

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 01:38 PM
I'll admit I'm a sucker for these service dept sales pitches. I brought mine in at 700 miles for same thing. Same price as yours too!

But Big TP is right. The engineers know this engine and what it needs. Not only do they suggest a 4,000 mile oil change then every 8k, they have to guarantee this maintenance schedule with a three year/unlimited mileage warranty! What convinced me was the extended warranty. Honda will cover your engine for 7 years and unlimited mileage with these service intervals. Some folks here could be past 150k miles after 7 years, yet the maintenance schedule remains unchanged.

Last time I checked Honda likes to be profitable and replacing engines for people who followed their advice does not balance that equation.

VStarRider
11-04-2016, 01:45 PM
IMO. Follow the Owner's Manual. Those engineers know what they are doing when they design these machines. Dealer's Service Dept are the biggest profit centers in the building. They prey on your fear, well some anyway.

A friend who's a dealer says these are his money makers in order:

1. Parts counter
2. Service
3. Accessories
4. Coke machine
5. Used sales
6. New sales

I'm sure these fluctuate depending upon the dealer .... He's a small low volume dealer in a rural area so he makes more on parts. People have older bikes and snowmobiles and do a lot of the work themselves.

He said his markup has been reduced over the past 20 years as technology and engines have gotten better. Manufacturers have raised dealer prices AND MSRPs. Used to be 12% now closer to 5% and he has to match manufacturer incentives (for example $500 cash back means he fronts $250 and manufacturer puts in 250).

Dealers also have to soak up set labor costs on manufacturer extended warranties (though they do come with a healthy profit up front).

Big TP
11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
BINGO!!!!!!:clap2:

Big TP
11-04-2016, 01:56 PM
I always follow the service schedule that the manufacturer publishes. Never had any problem whatsoever even on my Harleys. Today we have high quality syn oils, water cooled engines, years of fine tuning this Flat 6. Bulletproof...almost. Now I will admit , sometimes for a little piece of mind I will do an oil change here and there in between services especially if I am planning on a doing a long trip or getting into the Florida summer season.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-04-2016, 03:17 PM
I changed my Oil and Filter after 500mi because I am a shop owner (not motorcycles) and agree with the small engine manufacturers that want an initial oil change to possibly flush any contaminants from minor tolerance differences as they are smoothed out.

Now keep in mind Honda (as with most all manufacturers) engines are now built with tight clearances and in very clean conditions, so the chances are as close to zero as can be of having metal shavings needing to be flushed out. BUT as an old school mechanic i still do a break-in oil change.

Once the initial change is done I go the recommended mileage.

And I do it all myself. It is just and oil & filter change.

opas ride
11-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Your bike and your money and do whatever you are comfortable with....If your somewhat of a wrench, change your own oil and filter at the initial change at whatever mileage makes you happy, check the rear gear oil yourself, check the tires, fluids etc. and ride on until the 4000 mile check.....The dealer does not do much at 600 miles but get your money.....Most riders on this board, I doubt, have taken their bike into a dealer for the 600 mile check-up!!!...12,000 miles on mine now and I have only been back to the dealer once for the brake re-call and to change the clutch and brake fluids while it was there.....JMHO and ride safe...BTW doing your oil/filter changes etc. will not void the warranty....Just keep some records/receipts of what and when you did the work just in case someone tries to give you a hard time which rarely occurs....

BadDawg
11-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I've always done all of my own work on my scoots. It's a combination of money and trust. Both of which I was short on. The B was my first band new scoot and I decided to let my dealer do,all the work. Things are different now. I'm short on time and I can now afford it. So far they seem to be doing right by me. So I'll let them do all the recommend servicing and I'll use my time to ride.

Miks
11-04-2016, 08:41 PM
When they set 4,000 miles...make sure you look at the calendar interval as well. I have seen oil changes at very high mile intervals, only to discover a six or twelve month oil change requirement.

Here is my take. I work as a technical advisor in computers for a very large automotive dealership, and spend time with ASE certified techs in the shop. They always show me a General Motors engine in the shop to have the cam tensioners replaced, or something else, because of the extended service interval and oil monitoring system.

They tell me - I change my oil at 3,000 miles! After taking so many engines apart, they can tell immediately if the oil wasn't changed when it should have, deposits in the engine as well excessive wear. I figured if they saw the world that way, I would follow their experience and change oil at 3,000 miles on the bike, and know the engine is never going to have a problem.

opas ride
11-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Your bike and your money and do whatever you are comfortable with....If your somewhat of a wrench, change your own oil and filter at the initial change at whatever mileage makes you happy, check the rear gear oil yourself, check the tires, fluids etc. and ride on until the 4000 mile check.....The dealer does not do much at 600 miles but get your money.....Most riders on this board, I doubt, have taken their bike into a dealer for the 600 mile check-up!!!...12,000 miles on mine now and I have only been back to the dealer once for the brake re-call and to change the clutch and brake fluids while it was there.....JMHO and ride safe...BTW doing your oil/filter changes etc. will not void the warranty....Just keep some records/receipts of what and when you did the work just in case someone tries to give you a hard time which rarely occurs....

Just to clear up any mis-conceptions about my comments above, I changed my oil at 500 miles initially and then every 3000/3500 thereafter...Never ever go more than that in all my bikes over the years and never an issue with engines or trans....

olegoat345
11-17-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm fairly sure they can't make you pay for warranty oil change, if they are required by Honda. The dealer is trying to get some extra money from you. Do you own oil change, check everything for tight and lube whatever the owners manual says. keep notes / log, proof of purchase and all that stuff. ====Harley got in big trouble with the feds for telling customers they had to use HD oil or their warranty was void. Feds. said thats a big NO NO. I heard HD got a big fine == anybody have any info on that??
The dealer can suggest you use this oil or that oil. Just so what you use matches what your owners manual says - weight & letter codes on the can, same as in manual. ==
I'll say this, I've been AMSOIL in everything I own, for 30+ years, in all my landscaping 2 & 4 stroke motors, trucks, cars, boats & MC's =I've never lost a engine due to oil failure. When I retired I kept a old 1995 blower, 1999 weed whip & a 1987 riding mower, they never had anything but AMSOIL in them. 2016, they're all still running great. = just sayin'