PDA

View Full Version : Farewell video after crashing on The Dragon

53driver
11-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Kevin Diepenbrock lay at the bottom of a 100 foot embankment for nearly 30 hours, hoping for a miracle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kevin-diepenbrock-records-farewell-video-moments-after-deadly-north-carolina-motorcycle-crash/

unsub
11-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Kevin Diepenbrock lay at the bottom of a 100 foot embankment for nearly 30 hours, hoping for a miracle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kevin-diepenbrock-records-farewell-video-moments-after-deadly-north-carolina-motorcycle-crash/

Well, he admits to being stupid because that's what he does? Good to know idiotic behaviour can be explained so easily.

The "dragon" folklore and all those that go to "slay" it crack me up.

stroguy
11-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Need an EPIRB for your bike. Wow wow wow.

unsub
11-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Need an EPIRB for your bike. Wow wow wow.

Or at the very least some sort of itinerary that you leave behind with a loved one.

willtill
11-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Yes, I read about this a while ago. Good thing he was found.

I do not enjoy the Dragon. At least not on the F6B.

stepbill
11-08-2016, 07:02 PM

I was suprised to read that as I thought you had a good time when we rode it last year. You did a great job on it. We did not slay it, we rode it and respected it!

six2go
11-08-2016, 07:05 PM

I rode the Dragon several times on my BMW K75S and had a ball. A few years later on the Valkyrie, not so much. I don't ever plan on taking the "B" on that road. The Cherohala Skyway will do just fine thank you very much.

53driver
11-08-2016, 07:24 PM
The most poignant part of that article is that his friend "suddenly hit the brakes" and they both went over.....

Doesn't matter what road you are riding....if you are riding too close to another idiot, you are not managing your risk. Period.

seadog
11-08-2016, 07:35 PM
The most poignant part of that article is that his friend "suddenly hit the brakes" and they both went over.....

Doesn't matter what road you are riding....if you are riding too close to another idiot, you are not managing your risk. Period.

manage your space correctly you live, mismanage your space, you crash!

Jimmytee
11-08-2016, 08:59 PM
While there are many roads I like better, I enjoy the Dragon. Timing is everything. Early mornings best to beat the traffic. When this picture was taken,that guy was laying there.24432

willtill
11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
I was suprised to read that as I thought you had a good time when we rode it last year. You did a great job on it. We did not slay it, we rode it and respected it!

I just didn't like the numerous blind corners. And the heavy traffic oncoming traffic at times.

If I can see through a corner, I am much more relaxed and can really enjoy carving it up.

YikesCops
11-08-2016, 11:27 PM
The Dragon is not a heavy cruiser run. I would take a lighter bike, such as naked. Can you say scrap...?

wjduke
11-09-2016, 05:20 AM
I just didn't like the numerous blind corners. And the heavy traffic oncoming traffic at times.

If I can see through a corner, I am much more relaxed and can really enjoy carving it up.

That's my issue with any curve Will. I get antsy about what I can't see. I did the Dragon and I didn't slay it, I rode it normally and it wasn't that bad. I can see what can happen when you want to be aggressive there. The evidence should be obvious when you start at Deals Gap...the Tree of Shame. Should have a different name, but I won't go there. Anyone with a sport bike would love the challenge.

Wing'n it
11-09-2016, 10:09 AM
While there are many roads I like better, I enjoy the Dragon. Timing is everything. Early mornings best to beat the traffic. When this picture was taken,that guy was laying there.24432

What? You didn't stop to help! Seriously did they ever say what happened as to how he was finally found? Needs to carry a small boat air horn if he could work his phone he could have worked that. Lucky a bear didn't eat him....

53driver
11-09-2016, 10:46 AM
What? You didn't stop to help! Seriously did they ever say what happened as to how he was finally found? Needs to carry a small boat air horn if he could work his phone he could have worked that. Lucky a bear didn't eat him....

It was in the article. A couple stopped to check out the view. He heard them talking and called out. They went and got help.

Redlinez
11-09-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't see the fun in muscling a big bike up and down the dragon. I too would rather ride any one of the other "famous" NC roads. Not to mention all the freaks that pass you on the dragon. I want to ride the road that heads north out of North Wilkesboro. Glad he made it though.

Jimmytee
11-09-2016, 06:23 PM
I don't see the fun in muscling a big bike up and down the Dragon .
These bikes are a breeze on the Dragon or any other twisty road. Jus' Sayn'

willtill
11-09-2016, 06:41 PM

If you enjoy scraping pegs though. I don't. My past Rocket III and Victory Vision had better lean angle and peg clearance... than my current F6B. :icon_frown:

This is one of the very few things I dislike about this bike.

53driver
11-09-2016, 08:08 PM

I agree. No "muscling" this bike for me.... She and I act as one - we do not fight each other.
It's a ballroom dance, I lead, she follows.
Yes, the footpegs will scrape from time to time, the bellypan will scrape when the suspension gets overloaded by poor braking technique and the right curvy/dippy road (yeah, been there, done that). But there are riding techniques that can minimize that - even on roads like 129.

Anyway - yes, to each his/her own and as always, ride your own ride - cause I guarantee if you wanna ride my ride, it's going to be life altering! :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
11-09-2016, 09:36 PM
If you enjoy scraping pegs though. I don't. My past Rocket III and Victory Vision had better lean angle and peg clearance... than my current F6B. :icon_frown:

With good throttle control, braking and a little body English, I'm usually not scraping until I'm moving along at a pretty good clip. Titanium pucks makes for a nice show.

Redlinez
11-10-2016, 11:51 AM
I would just have to learn to get off the bike to reduce the crazy lean angles. I have scraped the front of my boot several times and didn't think I was really hauling the mail.

53driver
11-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I would just have to learn to get off the bike to reduce the crazy lean angles. I have scraped the front of my boot several times and didn't think I was really hauling the mail.

We teach a technique in the Advanced Rider Course affectionately called "COW" - for Chin Over Wrist.
Lead every turn with your helmet in the direction of the turn.
Lean your body forward, chest/stomach should be over/touching the gas tank.
Put your chin over your inboard wrist.
Drop your inboard elbow to point to the ground.
Slide your tush just a bit to the inside - Beadriders REALLY help to keep this smooth.
Use your outside arm to push the bike more upright as your CG shifts to the inside and the radius of the bike's turn stays tight.

I STRONGLY recommend taking the MSF ARC if you've not done so.
Lots more tools in the toolbox.....
Cheers,
Steve

Redlinez
11-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that. Took a MSF class when I was in the Navy in 91, but it was more of a basic riding and safety course that was required to ride on base.

53driver
11-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that. Took a MSF class when I was in the Navy in 91, but it was more of a basic riding and safety course that was required to ride on base.

I teach that one too...in fact all military riders MUST take that and then take a Level 2 class every 3 years.
Of course, Navy provides the training for free.

1951vbs
11-10-2016, 10:02 PM

With the stock pegs the "B" is a pretty good tool for the Dragon. A great road that I have enjoyed time and again. If you have a lowered bike, Kury mini boards or low mounted highway pegs you have greatly reduced the capabilities of this great bike. Otherwise just take it easy and just ride or learn to ride like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Jimmytee
11-10-2016, 10:21 PM
We teach a technique in the Advanced Rider Course affectionately called "COW" - for Chin Over Wrist.
Lead every turn with your helmet in the direction of the turn.
Lean your body forward, chest/stomach should be over/touching the gas tank.
Put your chin over your inboard wrist.
Drop your inboard elbow to point to the ground.
Slide your tush just a bit to the inside - Beadriders REALLY help to keep this smooth.
Use your outside arm to push the bike more upright as your CG shifts to the inside and the radius of the bike's turn stays tight.

I STRONGLY recommend taking the MSF ARC if you've not done so.
Lots more tools in the toolbox.....
Cheers,
Steve

That's pretty much how I am riding when pushing it hard. You can watch your bike raise up in the corner if you change some body english while in the corner. Really makes a difference.

53driver
11-11-2016, 10:45 AM
That's pretty much how I am riding when pushing it hard. You can watch your bike raise up in the corner if you change some body english while in the corner. Really makes a difference.

I reckon you use throttle assisted steering as well, Jimmytee.

Jimmytee
11-11-2016, 08:30 PM
I reckon you use throttle assisted steering as well, Jimmytee.

The throttle is your friend. :icon_wink: