PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with no F6B and a question

sharkey
11-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Thinking about purchasing a used F6B to co mingle with the 2014 VFR I bought. A 2009 RT would be traded in (no issues with the RT) just cuz I think a bagger would be nice to add to the garage. I'm 5'4 135 and was wondering what others my size think of the F6B. Any issues moving it around or slow speed issues? I sat on one but haven't taken one for a drive. I was at a HD Bike night looking at a RK too but think I would like the F6B. I have ridden a 14 RK and it was a nice ride.

opas ride
11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Thinking about purchasing a used F6B to co mingle with the 2014 VFR I bought. A 2009 RT would be traded in (no issues with the RT) just cuz I think a bagger would be nice to add to the garage. I'm 5'4 135 and was wondering what others my size think of the F6B. Any issues moving it around or slow speed issues? I sat on one but haven't taken one for a drive. I was at a HD Bike night looking at a RK too but think I would like the F6B. I have ridden a 14 RK and it was a nice ride.

You might have some issues with getting your feet down flat at stops with the stock seat..Many of us vertically challenged folks have gone to the lower Mustang seat which works fine for me.. I also have 1/2" heels and soles added to my riding boots so no issues now..The F6B is very easy to handle at slower speeds, and in parking lots, as it has a low center of gravity with the flat 6 motor..I think you be should be okay. I am 5'9" tall and weigh 195lbs, but I am almost 77 years old and have a very short inseam of 28".....Take one for a test ride if you can and you will be sold!!....Ride safe

sharkey
11-11-2016, 10:25 AM
You might have some issues with getting your feet down flat at stops with the stock seat..Many of us vertically challenged folks have gone to the lower Mustang seat which works fine for me.. I also have 1/2" heels and soles added to my riding boots so no issues now..The F6B is very easy to handle at slower speeds, and in parking lots, as it has a low center of gravity with the flat 6 motor..I think you be should be okay. I am 5'9" tall and weigh 195lbs, but I am almost 77 years old and have a very short inseam of 28".....Take one for a test ride if you can and you will be sold!!....Ride safe

Thanks for the info. I sat on 2 and it seemed ok. My inseam in about 29" The HD guy last night was saying since it is a long bike, it is a large turn radius. I had a FJR for awhile and the motor was excellent but it was a heavy beast and has a higher COG than the F6B.

bertrider
11-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I've had 2 FJR's and have a 29 in inseam. My F6B has a stock seat. With the low center of gravity of the B I'm fine. You should be too.

Old Ryder
11-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I sat on 2 and it seemed ok. My inseam in about 29" The HD guy last night was saying since it is a long bike, it is a large turn radius. I had a FJR for awhile and the motor was excellent but it was a heavy beast and has a higher COG than the F6B.

:BSmeter:

The HD guy obviously has never ridden one! I can easily make a U turn on a 2 lane road and my feet never leave the pegs!!!!! All it takes is going to youtube and watching Jerry Motormans video and about 3 hours of practice. Once you get to a walking speed, this bike is as nimble as any---and yes I have owned a Ultra Classic, Road King, Heritage, Fatboy, Sporty, Street Bob AND A VRod.

I think your biggest problem maybe backing it up on gravel.

53driver
11-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Your HD guy is a tad bit misinformed.....

While it's true that the longer the wheelbase, the more stable the platform - which means (per physics) to technically "less maneuverable," I've found that the "sloppy link" between the handlebars and the seat has more to do with low speed handling than anything else.

And at higher speeds? Watch Jimmytee's video of himself carving up the roads in Arkansas.
I've literally carved the Dragon a few times, switching from handlebar steering to counter-steering and back to handlebar steering in the same curve as speed varies.

Remember that 20' box in the MSF course that you had to make a U-Turn in?
The F6B makes that U-Turn no problems.

Yes, I'm an MSF RiderCoach thoroughly familiar with the slow speed characteristics of many bikes.
Yes, it took some practice - but anything worthwhile does....

Cheers,
Steve

sharkey
11-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Your HD guy is a tad bit misinformed.....

Remember that 20' box in the MSF course that you had to make a U-Turn in?
The F6B makes that U-Turn no problems.

Yes, I'm an MSF RiderCoach thoroughly familiar with the slow speed characteristics of many bikes.
Yes, it took some practice - but anything worthwhile does....

Cheers,
Steve

Well I am sure he wants to sell me a RK so there was some of that going on. He actually praised the bike quite a bit and use to sell them but just said it was more set up for bigger guys unlike us (he was a bit bigger than me)

Is that 20' box new? I took the MSF class back in 2005 and don't remember it. I'm fit and relatively young and the dealer that sold me the VFR for a smoking deal has about 3 to sell so we might be able to work a deal.

Thanks for the info. I just came back from a 160mi ride of FM roads on the new Interceptor and had a blast. I am a state employee so had the day off. If you are reading this and served our country, thank you for your service.

53driver
11-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Well I am sure he wants to sell me a RK so there was some of that going on. He actually praised the bike quite a bit and use to sell them but just said it was more set up for bigger guys unlike us (he was a bit bigger than me)

Is that 20' box new? I took the MSF class back in 2005 and don't remember it. I'm fit and relatively young and the dealer that sold me the VFR for a smoking deal has about 3 to sell so we might be able to work a deal.

Thanks for the info. I just came back from a 160mi ride of FM roads on the new Interceptor and had a blast. I am a state employee so had the day off. If you are reading this and served our country, thank you for your service.

Yeah, the box was there - I think. Anyway, if you haven't taken a class since, I recommend the Advanced Rider Course which is based on the Military SportBike Course.
We don't do the box in the ARC.
The 20' box is designed to simulate a two lane road and the objective is to turn the bike inside that distance - without a foot touching down or the bike going into the beyond.
You can practice this in any parking lot as most spaces are 10' wide.
Hint: turn your head as FAR as you can in the direction of the turn before you start the turn and let the bike do the work.
Cheers,
Steve

JMartin
11-11-2016, 09:38 PM
For what it's worth... I too, do not yet own an F6B, but I did get a chance to rent one for a day (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9671-I-wanted-to-share-my-F6B-Rental-Experience) and put 270 miles on it.
I'm 5'-9" and have a 30 " inseam. At any intersection of my choice I could stand up, flat footed, and stretch my legs while bouncing the bike back-and-forth between them.
I may be missing something, but I find that this bike is excellent for what others are calling "Vertically Challenged."

I've never tried one, but the Mustang Seat that others talk about appears to be a big help in narrowing the "park bench-ness" of the factory seat, and might help also.

Just my $.02.

Jim

Bob Penn
11-12-2016, 11:41 AM
With 29" inseams you have nothing to worry about except for backing up a relatively heavy bike! But that wound be a problem with any full size cruiser.

There are a few modifications that are available one is a mechanical lowering kit the second is the fore mentioned Mustang seat. I have both on my bike and I can sit flat footed no need to even stand up at stops with my 28 and a half inch inseam except of course to adjust my jeans or they're playing the national anthem. I don't play football!

Allen Framen
11-12-2016, 06:16 PM
In 2004, I took the Advanced Rider Course in Raleigh, NC. One of the other attendees was riding a Gold Wing. She was a slightly built woman about 5'4" tall. I was always impressed with her ability to handle that Gold Wing; I don't know how she was able to reach the ground. She told me that she had twice dropped the Gold Wing. Once, while riding at night, she encountered a pine tree that had fallen across the road. She was almost stopped when she bumped into it and fell over. The other time was when she got bumped from behind while sitting at a stop light. Those incidents could have happened to any of us.

af

adventurous1
11-13-2016, 03:37 AM

Like others have stated, test ride one and see how it feels. Also, you might want to what 'til Jan / Feb or longer to purchase a new old stock. From all accounts Honda has discontinued these bikes, and the prices have been drastically reduced / discounted by some dealers. The prices will only continue to pummel in dealerships, which will force private party interested in selling their bikes to drastically reduced their selling price. Recently saw a private party selling his '13 in the 9K range. Picked up my used B last March for 11K (cash) w/ only 4K miles. The deals are only going to get better for you. JMO.

sharkey
11-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Like others have stated, test ride one and see how it feels. Also, you might want to what 'til Jan / Feb or longer to purchase a new old stock. From all accounts Honda has discontinued these bikes, and the prices have been drastically reduced / discounted by some dealers. The prices will only continue to pummel in dealerships, which will force private party interested in selling their bikes to drastically reduced their selling price. Recently saw a private party selling his '13 in the 9K range. Picked up my used B last March for 11K (cash) w/ only 4K miles. The deals are only going to get better for you. JMO.

I'm sorry, what did you say? I was distracted by your Avatar:icon_biggrin:

I was actually thinking the same thing. My RT goes in for routine service anyway in Dec. and I already paid for it. I want the bagger I think for 2 reasons - never had one before and I'll have all Hondas in the garage. I've had a lot of bikes in the past and Honda quality is second to none. I have a TMAX for sale on CL too and no one has even asked about it. The economy el sucko. I will probably wait as you said and get one in the winter months when dealers want to move something.

I don't think I will have an issue with the size but when I spoke with the HD sales guy, he put the bug in my ear. Seat is lower than my VFR and has a lower COG so I should be fine. Thanks for all the comments.