PDA

View Full Version : A trip to Fantasy Island - second bike talk Part II

VStarRider
11-14-2016, 07:17 PM
I've been all over the place since my last post on this topic.

Bikes considered:

Kawasaki Versys 650
Victory Cross Country
Indian Chieftain
VStar 1300 Deluxe
VStar 1300 Tourer
Suzuki M109
Zero electric
Victory CC Tour

I think I am back to the VStar 1300 Deluxe. Here's why:

Cheap to buy used ($8k or less for a '13-14 with 4k miles - a grand or two less than our F6Bs - mine ain't going anywhere soon)
GPS/satellite radio/iPod stereo system
Vtwin power
87 octane gas
Cheap to own/ maintain
Bulletproof reliable
Decent power
Looks good
Liquid cooled
More airflow
Huge bags

opas ride
11-14-2016, 10:33 PM
I've been all over the place since my last post on this topic.

Bikes considered:

Kawasaki Versys 650
Victory Cross Country
Indian Chieftain
VStar 1300 Deluxe
VStar 1300 Tourer
Suzuki M109
Zero electric
Victory CC Tour

I think I am back to the VStar 1300 Deluxe. Here's why:

Cheap to buy used ($8k or less for a '13-14 with 4k miles - a grand or two less than our F6Bs - mine ain't going anywhere soon)
GPS/satellite radio/iPod stereo system
Vtwin power
87 octane gas
Cheap to own/ maintain
Bulletproof reliable
Decent power
Looks good
Liquid cooled
More airflow
Huge bags

Indian Chieftian is the winner in your list in my humble opinion....but, hard to beat the F6B for all around everything a biker needs...

nvmyf6
11-15-2016, 04:34 AM
I've been thinking about a second bike as well.

In my opinion, I already have the best touring street bike possible.

So now I'm thinking, Dual Sport. Something I can play around in the dirt with if I wanted to.

I'm thinking, Kawasaki 650 KLR, or BMW G 650 GS. I need to do more research on that one.

:icon_mrgreen:

VStarRider
11-15-2016, 06:43 AM
Indian Chieftian is the winner in your list in my humble opinion....but, hard to beat the F6B for all around everything a biker needs...

Oh, it easily wins...except in price! A used Indian is still $17k. Maybe I will have to wait several more years.

wjduke
11-15-2016, 07:51 AM
I had an M109...it's just a brute. Can be had cheap, handles great too, but no extra's, looks shitty with bags (imo), and can be tough on long rides. Guess you made up your mind with the Vstar....seems to have what you want.

STRaider
11-15-2016, 08:11 AM
I had an M109...it's just a brute. Can be had cheap, handles great too, but no extra's, looks shitty with bags (imo), and can be tough on long rides. Guess you made up your mind with the Vstar....seems to have what you want.

The problem (a good "problem" to have) with second bikes is having enough time to ride two. I barely have enough time for the F6B, yet alone the Harley Ultra Limited. I used to have a KLR, and it was perhaps the most fun bike I've ever owned. I then went on to a BMW GS1200, but never ended up dual sporting it like I thought I would, so I ended up eventually trading it. Having two big cruisers is perhaps not the perfect duo, but the wife likes the Harley and we ride it with some friends that have them, so for our needs we get decent utility from it.

I think if I didn't have two now, a KLR would make the most sense for a second bike. They are fun, pretty street worthy (making it more diverse than some dual sports), can go on the dirt, you can find a nice used one for $3,000.00 (and less sometimes), easy to work on, and just fun to ride. That way, if you don't end up riding as much in the dirt as you think you will, you still have a second bike that does pretty well on the pavement and can do everything well, as opposed to something that is more single function. Also, if you're in for $3,000 or less, you don't worry about the bike just sitting there if you don't get the opportunity to ride it as much as you think. Bikes are like boats-you have to know what you want to do with it to select the correct one.

jm21ddd15
11-15-2016, 08:18 AM

So now I'm thinking, Dual Sport. Something I can play around in the dirt with if I wanted to.

I'm thinking, Kawasaki 650 KLR, or BMW G 650 GS. I need to do more research on that one.

If your serious about a Dual-Sport, don't overlook the KTM line up. I ride a Honda Dual-sport, and When I go to Dual-sport events, 80% of the bikes entered are KTM. They are very good, but EXPENSIVE! Cost you about 12 grand for the 450cc, but it is tops!

3Chief
11-15-2016, 09:09 AM
If your serious about a Dual-Sport, don't overlook the KTM line up. I ride a Honda Dual-sport, and When I go to Dual-sport events, 80% of the bikes entered are KTM. They are very good, but EXPENSIVE! Cost you about 12 grand for the 450cc, but it is tops!

KTM = Keep Throwing Money...:icon_wink:

I'm giving the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure a good look... Luv the B, however I really want something in the stable for all terrain touring. I like having options :icon_biggrin:

jm21ddd15
11-15-2016, 09:30 AM
KTM = Keep Throwing Money...:icon_wink:

I'm giving the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure a good look... Luv the B, however I really want something in the stable for all terrain touring. I like having options :icon_biggrin:

I fully agree that KTM is expensive. But as a rider of "real" Dual-sport events, at least in the mid-west, most of the event organizers tell you on the entry form, if you have a "large" cc displacement bike, then leave it at home for the event. Most large dual-sport very seldom see much off road riding, other than gravel roads or packed dirt. You would never make the courses in the mid-west with those bigger bikes. Don't get me wrong, I too like those big dual-sports, just really consider where you will spend most of your riding. 90% of the dual-sports events I have entered, well, the bikes have all been modified, and are no longer "street legal", as all have full off road knobby tires, modified exhaust, mirrors removed, etc. If you are planning on off road completion or mostly street riding, with occasional off road trips, then that should be a deciding factor in your purchase. I usually crash at least a half dozen times in our erea events. Safety gear keeps me going. Picking up a 370-450 lb cycle in a mud hole or at the bottom of a ravine gets tuff. I know those bigger bikes weigh at least another 100 lbs.

3Chief
11-15-2016, 10:11 AM
I fully agree that KTM is expensive. But as a rider of "real" Dual-sport events, at least in the mid-west, most of the event organizers tell you on the entry form, if you have a "large" cc displacement bike, then leave it at home for the event. Most large dual-sport very seldom see much off road riding, other than gravel roads or packed dirt. You would never make the courses in the mid-west with those bigger bikes. Don't get me wrong, I too like those big dual-sports, just really consider where you will spend most of your riding. 90% of the dual-sports events I have entered, well, the bikes have all been modified, and are no longer "street legal", as all have full off road knobby tires, modified exhaust, mirrors removed, etc. If you are planning on off road completion or mostly street riding, with occasional off road trips, then that should be a deciding factor in your purchase. I usually crash at least a half dozen times in our erea events. Safety gear keeps me going. Picking up a 370-450 lb cycle in a mud hole or at the bottom of a ravine gets tuff. I know those bigger bikes weigh at least another 100 lbs.

I'm just poking at ya. I've never done a dual sport event, however you make a very valid point. My experience with KTM's is limited and dated, hopefully they've greatly improved the quality of their product to match the price over the years. Personally I'm looking at a more tour orientated dual sport like the BMW for run like the Trans Alaskan highway and such. When I was coming back from San Diego dragging my camper and trailering my B we came up 395 and discovered a slew of places we would luv to explore that the B just isn't built for. I'm rediscovering my luv for exploring the path less travelled and want to have both options when I plan a trip :icon_biggrin:

VStarRider
11-15-2016, 10:49 AM
The problem (a good "problem" to have) with second bikes is having enough time to ride two. I barely have enough time for the F6B, yet alone the Harley Ultra Limited. I used to have a KLR, and it was perhaps the most fun bike I've ever owned. I then went on to a BMW GS1200, but never ended up dual sporting it like I thought I would, so I ended up eventually trading it. Having two big cruisers is perhaps not the perfect duo, but the wife likes the Harley and we ride it with some friends that have them, so for our needs we get decent utility from it.

I think if I didn't have two now, a KLR would make the most sense for a second bike. They are fun, pretty street worthy (making it more diverse than some dual sports), can go on the dirt, you can find a nice used one for $3,000.00 (and less sometimes), easy to work on, and just fun to ride. That way, if you don't end up riding as much in the dirt as you think you will, you still have a second bike that does pretty well on the pavement and can do everything well, as opposed to something that is more single function. Also, if you're in for $3,000 or less, you don't worry about the bike just sitting there if you don't get the opportunity to ride it as much as you think. Bikes are like boats-you have to know what you want to do with it to select the correct one.

I totally agree. In my younger years, 80% of my purchase decision was based on the item itself, not necessarily its capabilities. I would figure out how to make it work for my uses, rather than spend time finding the machine to best fit my needs.

Now at 40+, 80% of my purchase decision is based on practicality and application, based on my usage. That's why I have an F6B - objectives were smooth, quiet touring; wind protection; stereo system with iPod capabilities; comfortable ride.

Same thing with Bike #2...what will I use it for? Off road? Rarely, if ever. I don't have much interest in it and there aren't a lot of places to do that where I live. I am looking for a loafer with Vtwin torque, lots of leg room, bags (because I always need storage). I love the cruiser look even though I know they are not ideal for my main type of riding (Honda is). I want to take a ride along the lake...ride to my parents house 25 miles away....take a quick ride on local roads and within 50 miles of home...all while cruising with lots of breeze hitting me, and close to full visibility (fork mounted fairing is fine). The F6B gets close to a car, and its my tank, so I want something a little more "free", if that makes sense.

Plus, I need Bike #2 to be a little more utilitarian - to strap stuff to the rear seat or back rest - carry more items, like a chainsaw (not joking - I used to put all sorts of goodies on my VStar 1100 - tires, suitcases, etc.

terryboyle
11-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I'm just poking at ya. I've never done a dual sport event, however you make a very valid point. My experience with KTM's is limited and dated, hopefully they've greatly improved the quality of their product to match the price over the years. Personally I'm looking at a more tour orientated dual sport like the BMW for run like the Trans Alaskan highway and such. When I was coming back from San Diego dragging my camper and trailering my B we came up 395 and discovered a slew of places we would luv to explore that the B just isn't built for. I'm rediscovering my luv for exploring the path less travelled and want to have both options when I plan a trip :icon_biggrin:

where they have a GW trailering a dirt bike?
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/videos/motorcycle-videos?video=x4kn11u.notworthy.

unsub
11-15-2016, 04:16 PM

I'd go with the KLR for the simple reasons of cost, reliability and parts availability, especially of you're planning to travel south of the border.

BIGLRY
11-15-2016, 04:42 PM
I'd go with the KLR for the simple reasons of cost, reliability and parts availability, especially of you're planning to travel south of the border.
And that my friend is why my duel sport is an 2008 KLR 650.

nvmyf6
11-15-2016, 05:54 PM

After much research, that is what I am thinking. Makes total sense.

Ride safe. :icon_cool:

unsub
11-15-2016, 08:07 PM
And that my friend is why my duel sport is an 2008 KLR 650.

Your sig looks like a '74-ish Honda CB200 but I'm distracted by the speed you're going...lol

HONDO
11-17-2016, 07:07 PM
F6B = CADDIE
M109 = LAMBORGHINI

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!