PDA

View Full Version : For us poor souls laying up our F6Bs for winter

terryboyle
11-15-2016, 04:22 PM
I saw a thread about using higher octane fuels and the benefits or lack thereof. It got me to thinking about the issue of storing our bikes for winter with fuel containing ethanol so I have done some research. It seems that the only fuel we can buy in Canada without ethanol is the Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline. Here is a link to their FAQ page: http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-vpower-nitro-plus-faqs.html

According to PURE-GAS.ORG, in Ontario, Canada we can also get it as Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91 which I will presume means it is Shell gas in their pumps.

I am not a big fan of paying extra for unneeded higher octane but big spender that I am I will be laying out the extra couple of dollars to have ethanol free fuel in my bike while it is stored for the winter. I will also be adding a fuel stabilizer to ensure that I do everything that I can do for a trouble free return to the roads in spring.

Our American friends have far more choices.

Steve 0080
11-15-2016, 05:47 PM
As long as you add fuel stabilizer ( to your regular gas ) you will be fine. Sucks you guys have to start talking about parking your scoots till spring!!!

Battery tender, fill gas tank up to the neck , check tires for pressure ( or deflate some if lifting off the ground...my preferred method ) and cover with a cover inside if possible and set traps for mice..... JMHO

F6Dave
11-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Since ethanol attracts water, I'd opt for pure gasoline if I were storing any vehicle for several months. It might cost more, but adding a stabilizer costs something too, so the difference in probably insignificant.

It's also a good idea to fill the tank completely. That leaves less surface area of fuel in contact with the moisture-laden atmosphere, slowing the absorption of water by the fuel.

The problem is real. I have an old BMW airhead that sat for a year. When I pulled the carburetor bowls there were very obvious blobs of water floating around.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-15-2016, 08:55 PM
One advantage we have is the fact that our bikes are fuel injected which makes the fuel system air tight, which will keep most short term storage issues down to a minimum. Another is we have plastic fuel tanks. The old thought of keeping your tank full was so that the tank would not rust is not an issue with a plastic tank. Sooo you can either run the tank down low for storage and in the spring fill it then with fresh fuel, or fill it to the top now and add a good fuel treatment such as Startron or Marine Grade Stabil (Blue Not that red stuff).

STRaider
11-15-2016, 09:30 PM
One advantage we have is the fact that our bikes are fuel injected which makes the fuel system air tight, which will keep most short term storage issues down to a minimum. Another is we have plastic fuel tanks. The old thought of keeping your tank full was so that the tank would not rust is not an issue with a plastic tank. Sooo you can either run the tank down low for storage and in the spring fill it then with fresh fuel, or fill it to the top now and add a good fuel treatment such as Startron or Marine Grade Stabil (Blue Not that red stuff).

I was reading the thread with interest. As I live in Dallas, I don't have to worry about winter storage, so I had never heard of the filling the tank up with gas to store. That seems counter intuitive, but the reasons given make sense. Good to know the plastic tank prevents the need. If I had to store a bike for a while, I'd prefer to have as little fuel in it as possible. Good stuff. I appreciate the insight.

Would something like Sea Foam work for stabilizing fuel for storage, or is that more of a cleaner?

Brasco
11-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Hey Terry . . . filled my B up to the brim with Shell V-Power 91 octane on Sunday on my way home from a 350 km final ride of the 2016 season (although I always run 87 octane during the rest of the season, as recommended). Today a bit of snow in Calgary so think I timed it well as the curtain has definitely dropped on our southern Alberta riding season. I personally have always used Seafoam in my fuel for winter storage, as I know a lot of others on this board do as well. You can also drop a little Seafoam in the oil and, if you have the time and the inclination, a medicine dropper full of oil in the spark plug cylinders is also a good idea (this is mentioned in the owner's manual in winter storage section).

Here's a pic from the final ride with the front range of the Rockies over our shoulders and sun at our backs; accompanied by my riding buds on a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 with 200,000 kms on the clock and a 2011 Victory Cross Country with 97,000 kms.

Brasco
11-15-2016, 10:11 PM

Okay . . . that's interesting. I had no idea about the plastic tank. Still, given the deep freeze and sudden thaw cycles we experience in this neck of the woods, I'd lean toward keeping the tank full to avoid condensation. But that's just me.

terryboyle
11-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Hey Terry . . . filled my B up to the brim with Shell V-Power 91 octane on Sunday on my way home from a 350 km final ride of the 2016 season (although I always run 87 octane during the rest of the season, as recommended). Today a bit of snow in Calgary so think I timed it well as the curtain has definitely dropped on our southern Alberta riding season. I personally have always used Seafoam in my fuel for winter storage, as I know a lot of others on this board do as well. You can also drop a little Seafoam in the oil and, if you have the time and the inclination, a medicine dropper full of oil in the spark plug cylinders is also a good idea (this is mentioned in the owner's manual in winter storage section).

Here's a pic from the final ride with the front range of the Rockies over our shoulders and sun at our backs; accompanied by my riding buds on a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 with 200,000 kms on the clock and a 2011 Victory Cross Country with 97,000 kms.

I will likely get an opportunity to take the F6B out once in a while as the temperatures here are a lot milder in Toronto area than I used to live with in Montreal. If the temperature hits 10C and there is no sand down I am willing to play.

wjduke
11-16-2016, 05:26 AM
I was reading the thread with interest. As I live in Dallas, I don't have to worry about winter storage, so I had never heard of the filling the tank up with gas to store. That seems counter intuitive, but the reasons given make sense. Good to know the plastic tank prevents the need. If I had to store a bike for a while, I'd prefer to have as little fuel in it as possible. Good stuff. I appreciate the insight.

Would something like Sea Foam work for stabilizing fuel for storage, or is that more of a cleaner?

I've been using seafoam in my last two bikes with no issues. I like to take her out for a ride year round if possible, like last winter. Have to see what this one looks like. I kept the fuel full, put her on a tender, and on the center stand. I use seafoam intermittently year round too...One man's opinion.

willtill
11-16-2016, 06:54 AM
I've been using seafoam in my last two bikes with no issues. I like to take her out for a ride year round if possible, like last winter. Have to see what this one looks like. I kept the fuel full, put her on a tender, and on the center stand. I use seafoam intermittently year round too...One man's opinion.

I have the same exact opinion. Now two men's opinions :icon_lol:

Steve 0080
11-16-2016, 08:11 AM
I have the same exact opinion. Now two men's opinions :icon_lol:

+3 A can of sea foam can never hurt !!!!!

pilotguy299
11-16-2016, 08:43 AM
+3 A can of sea foam can never hurt !!!!!

+4 on SeaFoam. I add some every other tank throughout the year.

53driver
11-16-2016, 09:10 AM
So yeah, me too on the Seafoam.
5 men's opinions.

Of course, with one estrogen-based dissenting comment, we're all wrong. :shhh:

3Chief
11-16-2016, 09:32 AM
So yeah, me too on the Seafoam.
5 men's opinions.

Of course, with one estrogen-based dissenting comment, we're all wrong. :shhh:

+6

I use Seafoam whenever I lay stuff up for storage. Been using it for years without issue. Here in the Great North Wet we have the option for ethanol free gas, however none of the stations I frequent carry it. I just rotated my stored gas this weekend and refilled the cans with Cheveron 91 and Seafoam.

bob109
11-16-2016, 11:36 AM
+6

I use Seafoam whenever I lay stuff up for storage. Been using it for years without issue. Here in the Great North Wet we have the option for ethanol free gas, however none of the stations I frequent carry it. I just rotated my stored gas this weekend and refilled the cans with Cheveron 91 and Seafoam.

+7 I use Sea Foam in every gasoline engine I own. Never a issue with any gas which has been treated with the SF:icon_wink:

opas ride
11-16-2016, 12:03 PM
+7 I use Sea Foam in every gasoline engine I own. Never a issue with any gas which has been treated with the SF:icon_wink:
I had been using Stabil until a couple years ago when I must have gotten ahold of an old bottle and it made my bikes, mowers, etc. "pop and crack" so I switched to Seafoam and not issue one!...Meijers has it on sale occasionally for about $6 or so and I get a few at a time..Advance Auto had them on "Sale" the other day for $8....so I stick with Meijers.....Best stuff around in my humble opinion....Ride safe

F6Dave
11-16-2016, 03:48 PM

What I meant to say (but didn't) is that a full tank is better than a half full tank, and it's usually much easier to top up a tank than empty it. The reason for completely filling up is that a half filled tank leaves a large surface area of fuel exposed to air within the tank itself. Having more fuel in contact with moisture laden air can increase the amount of water that gets absorbed by the ethanol. In a full tank, with the fuel near the filler neck, there's less surface area in contact with the atmosphere.

It probably makes little difference when storing a bike for a few months, but it can be a real problem for power equipment stored for longer periods of time, and especially boats stored in or near water. Luckily nearly all marinas sell pure gasoline instead of corn juice.

willtill
11-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Agree. Always store topped off for reasons stated above. Plus it's just good combat preparedness.

Kyrock
11-16-2016, 11:15 PM
I saw a thread about using higher octane fuels and the benefits or lack thereof. It got me to thinking about the issue of storing our bikes for winter with fuel containing ethanol so I have done some research. It seems that the only fuel we can buy in Canada without ethanol is the Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline. Here is a link to their FAQ page: http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-vpower-nitro-plus-faqs.html

According to PURE-GAS.ORG, in Ontario, Canada we can also get it as Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91 which I will presume means it is Shell gas in their pumps.

I am not a big fan of paying extra for unneeded higher octane but big spender that I am I will be laying out the extra couple of dollars to have ethanol free fuel in my bike while it is stored for the winter. I will also be adding a fuel stabilizer to ensure that I do everything that I can do for a trouble free return to the roads in spring.

Our American friends have far more choices.

Good to know that you can get The Shell V Power at Costco and Ultramarine as well, in their 91 octane selection. Thanks for sharing. BTW Friday is going to be warm in the Toronto area. I think I may have to call in sick and go for a last ride (lol).

bob109
11-17-2016, 06:02 AM
I had been using Stabil until a couple years ago when I must have gotten ahold of an old bottle and it made my bikes, mowers, etc. "pop and crack" so I switched to Seafoam and not issue one!...Meijers has it on sale occasionally for about $6 or so and I get a few at a time..Advance Auto had them on "Sale" the other day for $8....so I stick with Meijers.....Best stuff around in my humble opinion....Ride safe

I found Wally World to have the best price for Sea Foam. Less than $7.00 a can and they always have it in stock. As it seems there's a WalMart on every street corner in America there is never a problem getting several cans:icon_biggrin:

Paul B Blues
11-17-2016, 08:35 AM
My Baby has been under the cover for a couple of weeks already. That will be her for at least six months. She's fully fuelled, washed and polished and purring in the garage 'all/right'

seadog
11-17-2016, 09:12 AM
You guys are worried about water in the fuel, moisture caused by cold and heat, and I say again what has more trouble with water than a boat. Your using 7 ounces of seafoam to treat 7 gallons of fuel. Stabil 360 marine with vapor technology treats 10 gallons of fuel with 1 ounce of Stabil. an 8 ounce container treats 80 gallons for a buck or two more than your seafoam. The vapor technology keeps the unused portion of the tank above the fuel in tip top shape thru the storage period. Storage of gasoline for 2 years guaranteed. That is all I will say about that and you can use what ever turns your crank. We all have our favorites.