PDA

View Full Version : Madstad for F6B

Pages : 1 [2]

ReserveBum
07-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Whats wrong with the Cobra pipes?

Awesome thread and info here! I'll be ordering a Madstad this week... and thanks to you fine folks I know exactly how to place the order.

Its a love/hate thing. Some people love em, but others like me took em off quickly and put em on this site or ebay. I had 100 miles on mine and sold em for $450. The drone was horrible and I like to listen to the tunes. Good call on the Madstad...I had mine installed by dealer and its been a great upgrade

srt8-in-largo
07-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks RB.

The wind noise with my current helmet and stock windshield is just too much; the noise is deafening. Further, I had it on a long-ish interstate ride last night and was catching bugs and rain drops on my face shield. I'm hoping the Madstad fixes each of these problems.

Coop creek
07-05-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't care for how the Madstadt looks on my bike but there are zero bugs on my faceshield.

Hornblower
07-05-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't care for how the Madstadt looks on my bike but there are zero bugs on my faceshield.

I pretty much have to agree with you on this one. Like you, I love the functionality of mine but it does look a bit "funky" IMO. I don't think it's quite as "funky" if you go with the clear screen over the black base which is the combination I finally went with. With that setup, from a distance, you mainly notice the black base which looks like a bagger-style shield and that retains the original design of the F6B.

srt8-in-largo
07-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Interesting. I was gonna say the smaller dark tint looks best.

I read the first two pages of this thread (will read the rest tonight) but people are seeing much reduced noise and buffeting with the small 11" shield right?

Hornblower
07-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Interesting. I was gonna say the smaller dark tint looks best.

I read the first two pages of this thread (will read the rest tonight) but people are seeing much reduced noise and buffeting with the small 11" shield right?

Personal preference, no doubt. And yes, the 11" works great for me but I imagine that depends on rider height.

Coop creek
07-05-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm 5'9", and I have the 11" Madstadt windshield. It is set so that I look over it mostly, unless I start slouching down. It shoots the air about an inch or two over my head, no buffeting, and I stopped wearing earplugs. It's oddly peaceful on the highway. I have not tried a traditional, taller screen as yet, so I can't compare.

motozeke
07-06-2014, 12:42 AM

I know, right? What better testament.

srt8-in-largo
07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Fyi, Madstad appears to have these in stock. I ordered a dark grey 11" on the 7th and on the 8th (today) Fedex has it in their tracking system.

:yes:

It should arrive tomorrow; it's nice being only 50 miles away from them :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
07-08-2014, 09:35 PM
HMMM, Am I the only one with a 15???
Wife has a 13, and I've swapped with her only to trade back again,,, :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
07-08-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm starting small... but will go bigger if I don't get the wind protection that I'm hoping for.

D-shark made an interesting comment earlier... he said his 11" protected slightly better than his 13".

F6BPDX
07-08-2014, 11:22 PM
HMMM, Am I the only one with a 15???
Wife has a 13, and I've swapped with her only to trade back again,,, :shrug:

I can't fathom how you can even see over the 15". My 13" will start intruding on my line of sight at 1" up from full down on even the slightest of inclines. Are you looking through the shield?

Scotrod
07-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Nope. I hate lookin through a shield,,,

I'm not runnin 60 degrees of rake,,,, closer to OEM rake, so that's probably a good part of it. :shrug:

Tried the wifes 13 @ 60,, the 15 @ 60,,, eh,,, keep falling back to the 15 @ something 'close' to OEM rake,,,

IMHO, this produces the most/strongest blast of air upwards along the back of the shield, which in turn 'pushes' the oncoming air in front of the shield upwards. IMHO, less air 'spin' created as the airspeed on both sides of the shield is 'relatively close'.

IMHO, a shield at 60 degrees is more of a 'plow/pusher' than an extension of the upper fairing,,, but,,, I'm no expert. :shrug:

F6BPDX
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Nope. I hate lookin through a shield,,,

I'm not runnin 60 degrees of rake,,,, closer to OEM rake, so that's probably a good part of it. :shrug:

Tried the wifes 13 @ 60,, the 15 @ 60,,, eh,,, keep falling back to the 15 @ something 'close' to OEM rake,,,

IMHO, this produces the most/strongest blast of air upwards along the back of the shield, which in turn 'pushes' the oncoming air in front of the shield upwards. IMHO, less air 'spin' created as the airspeed on both sides of the shield is 'relatively close'.

IMHO, a shield at 60 degrees is more of a 'plow/pusher' than an extension of the upper fairing,,, but,,, I'm no expert. :shrug:

I have tried the OEM rake as well, and it smoothes out the air for sure vs a traditional shield, but to me it doesn't "pop" the air over your head anymore, just smoothes it out as it hits your face. Different strokes, as they say.

Not to :icon_deadhorse: but I wonder also if you are taller than I think you are. For some reason I am assuming you are roughly the same height as me (6'ish) and even at OEM rake all the way down I would have, what I consider, intrusion into my line of sight with a 15" shield. Of course "intrusion into your field of vision" is also subjective.

I have switched my Madstad around probably 50 different times, much to the eye rolling chagrin of my wife, and keep coming back to my 11" shield at ~60 degree rake and about 1" up from full down. My 13" does put the air further over my head, but it bugs me being "in my line of sight".

I should close this by saying for anyone looking at a Madstad, don't take my constant adjustments to mean the system doesn't work, it does, and fantastically well, I am just a serial tinkerer and constantly think "this is great, but what if I..."

Scotrod
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Nope, not tall. 6-0, but with a long torso and an RDL seat that places me a bit higher than OEM.

I tend to ~aim~ the 'air' right at very top edge of my helmet shield. Very little head rattle but still keeps the air moving rapidly over the top helmet vents.

I'm also north of 300 lbs, so I feel a little like an elephant trying to hide behind a phone pole with any 'small' screen,,, :icon_doh:

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Another score for Madstad Engineering!

I just installed mine tonight and it's truly a world of difference from the stock F6 windshield. Just like many here have said, I was able to ride around all evening with my faceshield up listening to the radio. It's such an improved riding experience that I really didn't want to get off.

I can confirm the comments here that said these are shipping with the 9 inch base shield and if I understand right, they are the "Goldwing" version; that is, they have the little winglets or extensions on the ends.

At 5'11" with 32" inseam I'm able to set the height of my 11" screen at the midpoint and virtually any angle seems to kick the air stream over the top of my helmet.

I was a little concerned about the looks but after installing it, I'm actually kind of proud of it. It's a purposeful, industrial look that goes well with the bike IMO. I haven't seen this on the pics posted (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough) but "Madstad" is now engraved very tastefully at the bottom of the outer shield.

I feel like this was money well spent. Thank you sincerely to everyone in this thread, particularly the early major contributors... you know who you are :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
07-09-2014, 09:44 PM
:icon_biggrin:

But,,, but,,, but,,, it doesn't LOOK COOL!!!!! :icon_laugh:

Hell, if half of us were honest with ourselves, we'd look in the mirror and give up on 'looking cool' altogether!!! :crackup:

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 10:28 PM

SmallPasture
07-10-2014, 07:19 AM

But,,, but,,, but,,, it doesn't LOOK COOL!!!!! :icon_laugh:

Hell, if half of us were honest with ourselves, we'd look in the mirror and give up on 'looking cool' altogether!!! :crackup:

and that my friend is why I avoid mirrors!:smokin:
(says the guy w/ a bra on his head)

Scotrod
07-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Once a person learns to laugh at themselves, and not take life too seriously,,, :yes:
:clap2:
:banana:
:icon_stooge:

Beats the hell outta :old: :furious:

d-shark
09-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Due to work and other things I've not been able to follow the forum much the last few months. Thought this might be of some interest to those considering a windshield purchase. Originally I had the 11" Baggershield and went to the 11" Madstad which was a Night & Day improvement over the Baggershield and I've done over 12,000 miles with the Madstad since.

Recently my girlfriend & I had a chance to ride a friends 02 Goldwing. I think it might have been a stock shield, it set 17" from the faring gasket to the top and had a vent. I'm 6'-2" and look well over the 11" Madstad. The 17" Goldwing shield was right at my line of sight by comparison. From my perspective as the rider wind protection was similar to the much shorter Madstad (no real difference IMO). My girlfriend however as the passenger said she was getting noticeably more wind compared to the Madstad. I should mention that we had been riding My F6B just minutes before taking out the Goldwing so the comparisons were back to back.

Opening and closing the windshield vent did not improve nor degrade wind protection for either of us as far as we could tell. The test ride was at interstate speeds.

srt8-in-largo
09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Interesting to know; I haven't seen much other feedback from the passenger perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

Scotrod
09-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Here's what another Madstad owner said:

Ride each way was over 1k miles a day, what I learned.

I have several windshields for this bike, all of them except the Madstad will soon be for sale. My 11" shield worked like a champ, especially in the rain.
Riding in the rain on the bike is no issue, in fact, the protection was so good that I could ride thru some 3 to 5 mile showers without even getting wet. As long as I was moving at highway speed, the water would go around and over me. Extended showers I used the rain suit.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3677-Observations-from-the-Franklin-ride

There were (2) Madstads that sold at the auction for DIRT cheap,,, If both our bikes weren't already 'Madstad-equipped',,,

Heck, I should've bought one anyway just for parts!!!:banghead:

smokinjoe187
09-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Interesting to know; I haven't seen much other feedback from the passenger perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

i have bought my share of windshields and i have come to one conclusion..
at some point you try and justify the purchase to yourself...
its close to this but better for that
jeez.....when did we forget the days of no windshields
ill be the first to say my choice is the BEST for me
do i want anything else...maybe
am i waiting for the white elephant that looks cool and still protects me from the elements..
naw...im over it
now my needs are simple
radio on 13
no wind whistle in my helmet
and a vent for warm days...
the important thing is i ride every day
and its still makes me giggle...
18k...small price for this much dam fun

hiflyer
09-02-2014, 08:23 PM
What I didn't mention about the Madstad, and why it's my choice over several others relates to all the things in the above post. I can hear my radio, I look well over the shield, it doesn't suffocate me. In fact because it's adjustable, and it's the 11", I can lower the thing and get as much air as I want. I have found the nirvana position though, and if I need more air, I just open the Baker air wings. I really like it.

Random Factor
09-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I'd say Madstad owes this thread more than one sales commission. My 11" dark smoke should be here Friday.

Many thanks to you guys who did the early major hashing out and testing of this product. I can buy this with confidence having been able to read a very extensive ongoing review. Great work!

opas ride
09-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I understand they work fine, but in my opinion they are just to ugly and busy for my tastes..But to "each his own as they say"...and I am happy some folks like them a lot.....

Scotrod
09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I understand they work fine, but in my opinion they are just to ugly and busy for my tastes...

UGLY!!???!!

When you're as ugly as I am, ANYTHING looks fine!!!! :yikes:

:crackup:

I adjust mine 19 different ways for each different condition,,,, How fast I'm going, how much air I want/don't want, how quiet I want it to be,,,

So versatile, it makes the Popeil Pocket Fisherman look like a stick with a string! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fh_YwAnv7w

srt8-in-largo
09-03-2014, 08:46 PM
:icon_lol:

I wonder if you can still buy those.

I'd say Madstad owes this thread more than one sales commission. My 11" dark smoke should be here Friday.

Many thanks to you guys who did the early major hashing out and testing of this product. I can buy this with confidence having been able to read a very extensive ongoing review. Great work!

Savor the wind buffeting now, because very shortly it will be gone forever.

F6B1911
09-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I wonder if you can still buy those.

Yep, WallyWorld sells them.
Ronco-Pocket-Fisherman (http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Ronco-Pocket-Fisherman/10727613)

F6BPDX
09-04-2014, 11:50 AM
UGLY!!???!!

When you're as ugly as I am, ANYTHING looks fine!!!! :yikes:

:crackup:

It's true. Scotrod is the only guy that gets kicked out of banks and convenience stores for NOT wearing his full face helmet inside. :yikes::catfight:

Scotrod
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Yup,,,, And they require either a dark smoke or a mirrored visor as well,,,

Gets friggin hot standing in line,, have to ask everyone to speak up,,, It ain't easy bein ugly,,,, :icon_frown:

Hornblower
09-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Yup,,,, And they require either a dark smoke or a mirrored visor as well,,,

Gets friggin hot standing in line,, have to ask everyone to speak up,,, It ain't easy bein ugly,,,, :icon_frown:

Doesn't matter when you can dance like you can :crackup: People are too busy watching your moves :yikes: Get down, Scotrod!

hiflyer
09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
UGLY!!???!!

When I talk about myself, I always say....... "This is ugly, not stupid!"

DMAGOLDRDR
09-04-2014, 06:12 PM
After reading each post in all the 15 or so pages I have determined I will be ordering a Madstad. I am looking for some input on the difference in full up vs full down. I see so many measurements but have not seen a full up vs down. I (like most) look over my shields, but ride in a lot of farm country and have the need to look through at times to keep my head out of the bugs. Measuring from the dash up (Jabbasan showed or Clearview Shields has us measure, ) the 16 1/2' Honda Tall shield works well for me as I can slide down in the seat and stay bug free but is a bit too tall to see over unless I sit up real straight. Any idea how I can come up with a determination which Madstad will give me the adjustment of,,,, say 15 down to 18" up from the dash..

srt8-in-largo
09-04-2014, 07:26 PM
If the 16.5" Honda shield works well for you, I'd say the 11" Madstad is all you need.

But... I don't know where your 18" requirement came from. If you are looking for additional coverage for the passenger, the 13" Madstad may be better.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-05-2014, 06:34 AM
If the 16.5" Honda shield works well for you, I'd say the 11" Madstad is all you need.

But... I don't know where your 18" requirement came from. If you are looking for additional coverage for the passenger, the 13" Madstad may be better.

With the 16 1/2' shield I either need to slide down in the seat for better bug coverage, or sit up straighter to see over. I just figure an adjustable shield to cover 15" to 18" would work.. I can't seem to remember off hand without going back and rereading posts how much adjustment the Madstad has.

royr
09-05-2014, 07:22 AM
With the 16 1/2' shield I either need to slide down in the seat for better bug coverage, or sit up straighter to see over. I just figure an adjustable shield to cover 15" to 18" would work.. I can't seem to remember off hand without going back and rereading posts how much adjustment the Madstad has.
Just remember the Madstad does not work like a traditional WS. It pushes the air stream much higher and you can ride with WS in a lower position and look over it.

d-shark
09-05-2014, 02:41 PM
DMAGOLDRDR,

I'm 6'-2", my girlfriend is 5'-4" and we both ride my F6B with the 11" shield. All the way down for my girlfriend, about one inch from the top for me. Total travel as I recall is just under 4". This photo is with the 11" shield set up for me. We set it down approx 3" when she rides.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7ZqEVsLPBDg/U8md-OS3ddI/AAAAAAAABDw/M2RpVDBaZhU/w649-h865-no/IMG_20140718_172111.jpg

I tried the 13" shield and my girlfriend said as a passenger it was no different from the 11" as far as passenger comfort & wind protection. The bike looks better to us with the 11" shield and we have ridden long distance in all kinds of weather with it.

You have to remember that Madstad recommends a shield angle of 60 degrees (this works best for me). Stock shields sit at approx 45 degrees, point being as the Madstad is tilted up towards the 60 degrees it comes closer to entering your field of vision. So trying to compare Stock shield heights to Madstad shield height is really apples & oranges.

Hope this helps.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-05-2014, 04:04 PM
DMAGOLDRDR,

I'm 6'-2", my girlfriend is 5'-4" and we both ride my F6B with the 11" shield. All the way down for my girlfriend, about one inch from the top for me. Total travel as I recall is just under 4". This photo is with the 11" shield set up for me. We set it down approx 3" when she ri
I tried the 13" shield and my girlfriend said as a passenger it was no different from the 11" as far as passenger comfort & wind protection. The bike looks better to us with the 11" shield and we have ridden long distance in all kinds of weather with it.

You have to remember that Madstad recommends a shield angle of 60 degrees (this works best for me). Stock shields sit at approx 45 degrees, point being as the Madstad is tilted up towards the 60 degrees it comes closer to entering your field of vision. So trying to compare Stock shield heights to Madstad shield height is really apples & oranges.

Hope this helps.

It sure does help d-shark Thank You,
It seems the 11" up all the way at 60 deg should get me looking thru the shield when I need to and then with almost 4" travel, I can get it back down to see over for normal riding..

Thank You ALL for your help.

motozeke
09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
In my experience I've never had to look through the Madstad. Properly adjusted you shouldn't have to.

Random Factor
09-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Just installed the Madstad 11" last night and took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning between the Meadows of Dan, Va and Lowgap, NC for a test.

This windshield does everything it is advertised to do. It is just so smooth even at high speed that you forget how fast you are going. Fantastic equipment!

Glad I bought it and I'll have a 13" Opaque Cee Bailey's windshield for sale shortly.

Scotrod
09-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Just installed the Madstad 11" last night and took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning between the Meadows of Dan, Va and Lowgap, NC for a test.

This windshield does everything it is advertised to do. It is just so smooth even at high speed that you forget how fast you are going. Fantastic equipment!

Glad I bought it and I'll have a 13" Opaque Cee Bailey's windshield for sale shortly.

Ugly or not, it's one of the most functional, most adjustable, quietest shields I've ever used... :cheers:

motozeke
09-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Ugly or not, it's one of the most functional, most adjustable, quietest shields I've ever used... :cheers:

No question. This is one piece of kit that works as advertised. And by the way, I think the dark tint looks good on this bike.

srt8-in-largo
09-06-2014, 04:36 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-w8v-tQb9Xf0/UpEseKx8sLI/AAAAAAAABiw/tD_e9IeW4Cs/s800/3772496%252B_bbc53cb9ec70f23280582e6eeda9d238.gif

hiflyer
09-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Anyone know why Madstad quit selling the brackets that have many more adjustments than the ones being furnished now? Those of us that bought early have a lot more adjustment options than the newer ones.

Scotrod
09-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Don't know, but assume most folks didn't use all the holes, plus, some of those holes simply wouldn't work on our bikes, and,,,,, less punching/reduced cost to manufacture,,,

:shrug:

srt8-in-largo
09-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Ancient Chinese secret.

Maybe had something to do with the whistling some people were reporting.

Scotrod
09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Ancient Chinese secret.

Could be!!!! At certain angles, there is a whoosh/whistle from that area!!!

hiflyer
09-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Ancient Chinese secret.

I can report that I hear whistling when riding down the street on my Madstad equipped F6B. It comes from people who see the bike for the first time.

Scotrod
09-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I can report that I hear whistling when riding down the street on my Madstad equipped F6B. It comes from people who see the bike for the first time.

Nah,,, has to be the Man, not the Machine,,, Sounds like our very own BIG SEXY has some competition!!! :shock:

DMAGOLDRDR
09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm just throwing it out there seeing that the folks at Madstad must be busy and haven't got back to me yet for my order.
On every one of my other Motorcycles I have put in a Windshield Vent to get some extra air on hot days. Has anyone tried a vent or does that not work due to their design.
I already have the Baker Wings under the mirrors and think that may be enough...

hiflyer
09-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm just throwing it out there seeing that the folks at Madstad must be busy and haven't got back to me yet for my order.
On every one of my other Motorcycles I have put in a Windshield Vent to get some extra air on hot days. Has anyone tried a vent or does that not work due to their design.
I already have the Baker Wings under the mirrors and think that may be enough...

Won't work right with the Madstad. With the Baker wings, you will get plenty of air. My 1k mile days to and from Franklin were high 90 temps, and I was fine with the added air from the Bakers.

Also, call Madstad instead of ordering online.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Won't work right with the Madstad. With the Baker wings, you will get plenty of air. My 1k mile days to and from Franklin were high 90 temps, and I was fine with the added air from the Bakers.

Also, call Madstad instead of ordering online.

I did call them this morning, and am waiting patiently for a call back to ask a few questions and put in my order.

Thanks, that ole Valkyrie Interstate has me spoiled but I'll get the F6B on the same level soon enough!!

hiflyer
09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I did call them this morning, and am waiting patiently for a call back to ask a few questions and put in my order.

Thanks, that ole Valkyrie Interstate has me spoiled but I'll get the F6B on the same level soon enough!!

Hmmm, that's surprising. I would call them back, and ask "Do you want my business or not?" If I was the owner of a business and an employee didn't take an order, I would be upset. I have talked to them several times and they always took care of me right away. I ordered a clear shield as an alternative to the smoked one I first bought, and had it in 2 days. Weird. If they needed to get someone to answer your questions before you ordered then I understand.......and the above doesn't apply!:iduno:

DMAGOLDRDR
09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
I know Mondays are pretty busy here at my shop also, so I'm ok with it. If I don't hear from them first thing in the AM then they will get another call because I hope to get it for this weekend. I have a couple hundred mile highway ride and I would rather take the F6B and that will give me the chance to dial in the height and angle on that Madstad Shield to get the quiet I am after . If not the ole Valk will make the run.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I received the Madstad Windshield a day ahead of schedule and mounted it last night. A short 30mi test ride confirms that at the 60 deg angle 1in up I also have a whistle that starts at 40mph but fades into the wind noise above 50. Tomorrow I will make adjustments and see if different heights and angles change the whistle..

Thanks to all for the great advice and info.

Scotrod
09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Tilt it back some

srt8-in-largo
09-13-2014, 07:43 PM
^^^ +1

An angle adjustment should do the trick.

A friend of mine has been looking for a new bike. When I showed him the F6 he said... "I think I found it"!

DMAGOLDRDR
09-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Tilt it back some

Thanks I'll give it a try..

Grognard
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I ordered my 11" shield last Sunday evening and it was delivered on Thursday. I rode Saturday and installed it today - easy enough install I wish I would have done it Saturday before ride. Wonderful product.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Well I put 300 mile on today and tryed all different angles and heights and almost every angle produces a whstile over 40mph.. BUT in lower positions and angled up i can get the wistle to stop. I put tape over every screw head and wrapped the knobs trying to eliminate the whistle. I even pulled the windshield off and put the fuzzy part of velcro between the shield and the brackets to fill the small gap. Nothing did the trick. I pulled the outer shield off and left the small shield and brackets mounted and went for a ride. No whistle. When the shield is in the lower position and tilted up, that must squeeze the breeze between the shield and the Fairing just enough to change something, but I am not sure what just yet.
Enough today, time to step away and think on it..

Ideas anyone ????

naga viper
09-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Contact mark I was having a whistle and went with a 15" shield with the mounting holes lowered
1",and the whistle is gone.

srt8-in-largo
09-14-2014, 09:15 PM
When I installed my Madstad I filled the gap under the lower shield with weatherstripping; this is the gap between the lower shield and the faring on the bike. I can't say if the weatherstripping is a coincidence or a solution but I don't have any whistling.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Contact mark I was having a whistle and went with a 15" shield with the mounting holes lowered
1",and the whistle is gone.

I will look into that as I have the 13" and look well over it.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2014, 07:22 AM
When I installed my Madstad I filled the gap under the lower shield with weatherstripping; this is the gap between the lower shield and the faring on the bike. I can't say if the weatherstripping is a coincidence or a solution but I don't have any whistling.

Do you mean inside the Fairing? As if air is traveling in the Fairing vents and as the air exits around the shield it whistles. hhuummmm
I do also notice a squeak at low speeds, and I can duplicate by wiggling the windshield... Something else to look at. Thanks

Scotrod
09-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Do you mean inside the Fairing? As if air is traveling in the Fairing vents and as the air exits around the shield it whistles. hhuummmm
I do also notice a squeak at low speeds, and I can duplicate by wiggling the windshield... Something else to look at. Thanks

I've added/removed foam from the same gap between shield/dash,,, No difference in sound.

Depending on your 'squeak', you may tighten the 'bracket to bracket' bolts and reduce/eliminate that particular noise.

I get a 'high speed wind over a screen' type of whistle at speed with the shield standing up at 60 degrees. Tilt it back and/or /tilt it back pick it up gets rid of the 'screen whistle' for me. Doesn't happen unless its upright and 'down-ish'

d-shark
09-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Early on I noticed the squeak you describe that can be duplicated by wiggling the windshield. In my case the rearward facing side of the Base Shield was contacting the Dash at a couple distinct points causing the Squeak when the Base Shield was flexed. Initially I applied Armour All to the contact surfaces allowing the two surfaces to slide against one another eliminating the Squeak.

Later I applied Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal 1-1/4" wide, 7/16" thick, purchased in a 10 foot roll at Lowes (#Black R516). Applied this in the gap between the Base Shield and Dash. This provided much more uniform contact surface between the Base Shield & Dash. This added contact surface also seems to stiffen the Base Shield resulting in much less flexing and no Squeaks.

I have what I would describe as a very faint Whistle at times (running with 11" shield). I can hear the Whistle only because the Madstad produces such low wind noise at the rider position. I can also hear sounds from the Engine & Tranny that I could not hear before as the result of the lower wind noise.

From the posts here it is clear the Whistle is Offensive to some and Barely Noticed by others. To me when I do notice the Whistle it's like a "Happy Little Birdie Whistling" to others it's the "Freaking Whistle That Won't Go Away". Those with an annoying Whistle might try applying the Frost King Weatherseal as I describe. It really provides the Base Shield with quite a bit more support & rigidity to eliminate flexing and might help to minimize the Whistle?

F6BPDX
09-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Well I put 300 mile on today and tryed all different angles and heights and almost every angle produces a whstile over 40mph.. BUT in lower positions and angled up i can get the wistle to stop. I put tape over every screw head and wrapped the knobs trying to eliminate the whistle. I even pulled the windshield off and put the fuzzy part of velcro between the shield and the brackets to fill the small gap. Nothing did the trick. I pulled the outer shield off and left the small shield and brackets mounted and went for a ride. No whistle. When the shield is in the lower position and tilted up, that must squeeze the breeze between the shield and the Fairing just enough to change something, but I am not sure what just yet.
Enough today, time to step away and think on it..

Ideas anyone ????

If you look back through this thread you will notice I tried about everything in the book. At a 60 degree angle there was nothing for me that got rid of the whistle. I have been running lately at about a 53 degree angle using the lower mounting position and the whistle is not present.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Early on I noticed the squeak you describe that can be duplicated by wiggling the windshield. In my case the rearward facing side of the Base Shield was contacting the Dash at a couple distinct points causing the Squeak when the Base Shield was flexed. Initially I applied Armour All to the contact surfaces allowing the two surfaces to slide against one another eliminating the Squeak.

Later I applied Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal 1-1/4" wide, 7/16" thick, purchased in a 10 foot roll at Lowes (#Black R516). Applied this in the gap between the Base Shield and Dash. This provided much more uniform contact surface between the Base Shield & Dash. This added contact surface also seems to stiffen the Base Shield resulting in much less flexing and no Squeaks.

The squeak I will look into this eve. Thanks for the info on your fix... The whistle is real bad. Depending on the angle or height I can still hear it up to 70mph. And that is with a 13" shield. At 40mph it makes me crazy.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
If you look back through this thread you will notice I tried about everything in the book. At a 60 degree angle there was nothing for me that got rid of the whistle. I have been running lately at about a 53 degree angle using the lower mounting position and the whistle is not present.

My unit does not have the option for lower mounting position. Do you mean how the bracket mounts to the base or shield, or how the base mounts to the bike??? OR JUST sliding the shield down? For me the only way to quiet the whistle is to slide the shield down and angle it so that very little air goes up between the shield and fairing.

I actually read every post from beginning to end when I was looking into the Madstad and did read about the whistle and your issues, but never read any positive find or fix from anyone. I tried the same as you with tape over everything I could think would be a cause with the same results. I really didn't think my results would be different but I had to try.
Some say to find that "just right position" and the whistle will go away but the reason I got this shield was for the adjust-ability. I may want the shield all the way down for some rides and up for a passenger or other reason.
My quest continues...

Scotrod
09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Odd part is,,,, Some whistle a bit, some adjust out of it easily, (like mine) and some seem to have a heck of a time getting rid of it,,,

FWIW, my 'whistle' only happens at certain speeds certain tilt. I have to try hard to make it whistle vs. trying hard to not make it whistle.

While the 60 degree mark may be a general 'one size fits most' recommendation from Madstad, and that setting 'may' give you the most air deflection as possible from a small shield, (depending on what bike you have, etc etc etc,) it isn't the only combination you have to run,,, I rarely run 60... I find that matching the base's rake, IMHO, looks better, and doesn't "plow" as much air,,,

But every situation is a bit different,,,

What type of helmet are the 'whistlers' wearing? 1/2 lids? :shrug:

DMAGOLDRDR
09-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Odd part is,,,, Some whistle a bit, some adjust out of it easily, (like mine) and some seem to have a heck of a time getting rid of it,,,

What type of helmet are the 'whistlers' wearing? 1/2 lids? :shrug:

For yesterdays ride and most of the testing I was in a 1/2 HJC with drop down shield, but once I got home and was making test runs. NO helmet.

Scotrod
09-15-2014, 05:19 PM
As can be anticipated, those who wear 3/4 or full helmets probably can't hear the 'whistle',,,(as clearly)

I never did till I donned a 1/2 lid,,,

F6BPDX
09-15-2014, 06:52 PM
As can be anticipated, those who wear 3/4 or full helmets probably can't hear the 'whistle',,,(as clearly)

I never did till I donned a 1/2 lid,,,

my whistle was all full face (Scorpion Exo 500 and Shoei Qwest)

DMAGOLDRDR
09-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Well I put a call in to Madstad and was advised that sometimes the shield edge is cut sharp and the edge is not rounded enough.
Soo I pulled out a roll of electrical tape and ran across the leading edge and went for a ride. Sure enough NO WHISTLE.
I did reach up over the shield and remove the tape at about 50 mph (not advisable) but wasn't able to pull it off slowly to see when the whistle would come back. So if you have a whistle this test may be worth a try for you...

F6BPDX
09-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Well I put a call in to Madstad and was advised that sometimes the shield edge is cut sharp and the edge is not rounded enough.
Soo I pulled out a roll of electrical tape and ran across the leading edge and went for a ride. Sure enough NO WHISTLE.
I did reach up over the shield and remove the tape at about 50 mph (not advisable) but wasn't able to pull it off slowly to see when the whistle would come back. So if you have a whistle this test may be worth a try for you...

Well that is about the only place I didn't put a piece of tape so that makes sense that it would be the thing that would work. :banghead:

Now, this brings me to another thing.... I have said twice in this thread I believe that Madstad is really shooting themselves in the foot with listening and quality control. They have sent out the wrong packages more than once, and now they say "Oh yeah, sometimes we don't finish our edges right, throw a piece of tape on it". Seems like a bit of a cop out.

d-shark
09-17-2014, 06:35 PM

If that is the cause then it would make sense why some seem to have the whistle worse than others, Manufacturing Variation. I checked the edges of my shield and they are fairly smooth all around. Did Madstad happen to mention what method & material they use to round the edges (a very fine emery cloth perhaps)?

Thanks for that input.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Well that is about the only place I didn't put a piece of tape so that makes sense that it would be the thing that would work. :banghead:

Now, this brings me to another thing.... I have said twice in this thread I believe that Madstad is really shooting themselves in the foot with listening and quality control. They have sent out the wrong packages more than once, and now they say "Oh yeah, sometimes we don't finish our edges right, throw a piece of tape on it". Seems like a bit of a cop out.

I didn't feel there was any cop out by them. Their sugestion was to help me find the whistle. Actually the edges have a nice bevel so I don't know why it even helped. BUT IT DID.. I told him I would give it a shot and call back tomorrow.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-17-2014, 07:53 PM
If that is the cause then it would make sense why some seem to have the whistle worse than others, Manufacturing Variation. I checked the edges of my shield and they are fairly smooth all around. Did Madstad happen to mention what method & material they use to round the edges (a very fine emery cloth perhaps)?

Thanks for that input.

I will be calling tomorrow to let them know my finding and go from there..

royr
09-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Thanks for that input.
They heat the edges with a small gas torch.

F6BPDX
09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
I didn't feel there was any cop out by them. Their sugestion was to help me find the whistle. Actually the edges have a nice bevel so I don't know why it even helped. BUT IT DID.. I told him I would give it a shot and call back tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Madstad and I think they make a functionally sound product. My comment about a "cop out" is not in response to their suggestion that you try and tape over it to firgue it out, it is in regards to the fact that it would seem they are aware it is an issue and yet they don't fix it on their end. If you read earlier posts in this thread you will see situations of them sending the wrong things, holes that were mis-drilled, etc. It just begs the question to me of "why?", when you make a great product why would you not make sure your quality control is perfect.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like my Madstad and I think they make a functionally sound product. My comment about a "cop out" is not in response to their suggestion that you try and tape over it to firgue it out, it is in regards to the fact that it would seem they are aware it is an issue and yet they don't fix it on their end. If you read earlier posts in this thread you will see situations of them sending the wrong things, holes that were mis-drilled, etc. It just begs the question to me of "why?", when you make a great product why would you not make sure your quality control is perfect.

I hear ya now,, :icon_redface: I did some searching and found that all the makes, Road Glide, Victory, Concourse and more all have the whistle problem. I didn't realize it was so wide spread. Maybe they need to check the forums or google themselves from time to time.
I have not spoke to them yet, I left a message and are still waiting their call back.

srt8-in-largo
09-19-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm not aware of Madstad sending out wrong or misfitting products recently. All the stories I've seen were when the shield first came out, and having a few hiccups is normal in the beginning.

I just installed a large size Clearview shield to try it out, and although it works, the 11inch Madstad is clearly a better performer in terms of kicking the wind over your head and minimizing buffeting.

Nice work! This will be valuable to many...

Injun Joe
04-07-2015, 11:04 PM
With the shield all the way down I do get some wind which is nice on Hot Days doing 50-60 mph. For interstate riding I usually run the shield adjusted about 1 inch up from what is shown in the photo (still very low but max wind protection). Wind goes all the way over the Head at 6'-2" tall.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that if you happen to get the 2" shorter Base Shield then the bottom of the Outer Shield will be 2" lower compared to what is seem on my bike. To me that does not make much sense (who wants to have the bottom of the shield that low) and limits how high the shield can be adjusted.

Taller Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 11" to 14" above the base of the faring gasket.

Shorter Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket.

In my opinion the taller Base Shield provides more usable vertical adjustment. Madstad will try to talk you into the shorter Base Shield so decide what works for you and order accordingly.

I know this is reopening a very old thread, but I'm unclear what base shield Madstad finally settled on for the 11" top shield. The OP makes a strong case for the taller base, but it seems Madstad leans towards the shorter. What is the final resolve? Ultimately, short base with short top would seem to have very little adjustment.

F6BPDX
04-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I know this is reopening a very old thread, but I'm unclear what base shield Madstad finally settled on for the 11" top shield. The OP makes a strong case for the taller base, but it seems Madstad leans towards the shorter. What is the final resolve? Ultimately, short base with short top would seem to have very little adjustment.

The very first F6B Madstads were shipping with a base that was about 2" shorter than the GL1800 Madstads. They changed it to be 1" shorter than the Gl1800 version and that is where it remains, and it is not dependent on top shield size, they all use the same base.

doubleh
07-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I came across this thread after posting this in the "windshield, aesthetics vs function" thread. I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm a new F6B owner and stand at 5'8" and purchased the Klock Werks 14" Smoked Flare Windshield about 6 weeks ago and thought I was couldn't ask for more with its performance after running it for 500mi straight. That was until I jumped back on my '07 H-D Softail this week without a windshield. I realized the wind was hitting my face steadily & smoothly on the H-D, whereas while riding the F6B with the KW windshield wearing my 1/2 helmet I had terrible buffeting right at ear level (with ear plugs) which also was hitting my head from behind and actually forcing my strapped glasses away from my face at 60-65mph causing my eyes to irritate afterwards, and forget about wearing my 3/4 helmet (with ear plugs as well) which was like having my head in a paint mixer…literally!!!

I've decided to ditch the KW and try the MadStad 11" Extra Dark Smoked Windshield , which I ordered last night after reading the positive impressions about it on this thread. Has anyone had experience with owning both the KW 11" & MadStad 11" that could possibly share their experiences between both?

Thank you,
Joe

dustytrader
07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
I've read comments from 2013 on up for these windshields. Sounds like they finally got their product standardized for the f6b so I am still a little unclear as to what I would be getting and how tall of a shield I would need. I'm 6'3, 34 in inseam and currently have a 19 inch Slip Streamer on mine. I look over it a few inches but would prefer to have it even lower. I still get some buffeting at the top of my helmet and my passenger gets hit too. Website shows 11, 13, 15, and 17 inch. That would put me at a 17 inch, but I've read some posts in the past of people that have 13 inch and my same height that works fine. Any updates?
RIDER HEIGHT

SHIELD SIZE

5'4" to 5'7" (163 - 170 cm) 11" (280 mm)
5'8" to 5'11" (173 - 180 cm) 13" (330 mm)
6'0" to 6'2" (183 - 188 cm) 15" (380 mm)
6'3" and taller (190+ cm) 17" (430 mm)

lloydmoore1
07-26-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm 6'1" 34 inseam. I have the 13" light tint. I ride with it all the way down all the time and just look over the top. Only thing I change is the angle for more or less airflow.

DaWadd
07-27-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm 6ft /34 inseam on stock seat and found the 13 inch medium tint too distracting vision wise for me but it did give amazing protection. Always seemed to be in my line of vision or too dark for certain conditions. Bought a 11 clear replacement shield and its perfect."coffee"

2wheelsforme
07-27-2017, 09:41 AM
I've read comments from 2013 on up for these windshields. Sounds like they finally got their product standardized for the f6b so I am still a little unclear as to what I would be getting and how tall of a shield I would need. I'm 6'3, 34 in inseam and currently have a 19 inch Slip Streamer on mine. I look over it a few inches but would prefer to have it even lower. I still get some buffeting at the top of my helmet and my passenger gets hit too. Website shows 11, 13, 15, and 17 inch. That would put me at a 17 inch, but I've read some posts in the past of people that have 13 inch and my same height that works fine. Any updates?
RIDER HEIGHT

SHIELD SIZE

5'4" to 5'7" (163 - 170 cm) 11" (280 mm)
5'8" to 5'11" (173 - 180 cm) 13" (330 mm)
6'0" to 6'2" (183 - 188 cm) 15" (380 mm)
6'3" and taller (190+ cm) 17" (430 mm)

6' 2" here and planning to go to a taller seat someday. I tried a 17 in dark smoke. Hated it could not see over it and poorly through it. Sent it back and got an 11 inch in clear. Much better now with it set in the medium setting, can go a bit higher or lower. It is not perfect but very good, a little wind from the sides from over the mirrors, top of helmet is good. I would say you can smoke a cigar at 60 MPH if you want and the music works OK even at interstate speeds. I look well above it most of the time even though I slouch some and if it rains I can duck down behind and look through to stay mostly dry, a bit comes up between the two shields. I would think a 11 or 13 would work for you but sure would not go darker than light grey.

dustytrader
07-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Yeah I was looking at a side picture of one with an 11" I think and with it raked forward it wasn't much shorter that my current windshield. I definitely wouldn't go with the 17, debating between 13 and 15. Agreed on the tint....I like my windshields clear. I have an Ultimate King seat which sat me up a bit from the factory

6' 2" here and planning to go to a taller seat someday. I tried a 17 in dark smoke. Hated it could not see over it and poorly through it. Sent it back and got an 11 inch in clear. Much better now with it set in the medium setting, can go a bit higher or lower. It is not perfect but very good, a little wind from the sides from over the mirrors, top of helmet is good. I would say you can smoke a cigar at 60 MPH if you want and the music works OK even at interstate speeds. I look well above it most of the time even though I slouch some and if it rains I can duck down behind and look through to stay mostly dry, a bit comes up between the two shields. I would think a 11 or 13 would work for you but sure would not go darker than light grey.

dustytrader
07-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Any idea what it measures from the top to the gasket?

I'm 6ft /34 inseam on stock seat and found the 13 inch medium tint too distracting vision wise for me but it did give amazing protection. Always seemed to be in my line of vision or too dark for certain conditions. Bought a 11 clear replacement shield and its perfect."coffee"

DMAGOLDRDR
07-28-2017, 11:30 AM

Height of a Madstad is based on if you want to look over it or not.

With my 12" Dark tint shield set to it's lowest point I look over it by a few inches and when needed I just slide it up and can gain protection from rain or wind with the 3 inches of adjustment.

I also have a 15" clear but only use it in the Winter when I want to hide behind a large shield... I can NOT see over the 15". Only look thru that one but I do sit on a Corbin seat that is an inch or so lower than the stock seat.

DaWadd
07-30-2017, 08:17 AM
My measurement is 10.5 inches all the way down and 12.5 inches all the way up from the top of the gasket."coffee"

dustytrader
10-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Does anybody have any side pictures of the 13 inch or 15 inch that I can compare to my current windshield? I have a 19" Slip Streamer that I just look over, but need to see how these compare since the rake is much more drastic. Shoot me a picture of side shot and let me know what position it is in (Low, mid, high) My email is dustyallen04 at gmail.com. Replace at with @...just don't want to get spammed by putting the whole email address in here

lloydmoore1
10-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Does anybody have any side pictures of the 13 inch or 15 inch that I can compare to my current windshield? I have a 19" Slip Streamer that I just look over, but need to see how these compare since the rake is much more drastic. Shoot me a picture of side shot and let me know what position it is in (Low, mid, high) My email is dustyallen04 at gmail.com. Replace at with @...just don't want to get spammed by putting the whole email address in here

All with 13" always in the lowest setting.

https://i.imgur.com/RKLsTXS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h7iEEnS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/86HSuex.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6gBDMgH.jpg

Tabasco
10-20-2017, 12:54 AM
I recently joined this forum. First thing I needed to know is which windscreen most of you were using. After much digging thru threads I decided to go Madstad. I'm 5' 8" so I went with the 11". Just installed it and am very pleased, works way better than I thought. So much better than stock. Thanks forum.

dustytrader
10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Thank you. This will help me decide as I can compare it to what I have.

All with 13" always in the lowest setting.

https://i.imgur.com/RKLsTXS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h7iEEnS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/86HSuex.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6gBDMgH.jpg

pikester
10-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Hey everybody. New to the forum. I just traded in my 06 Wing for an 16 F6B. Rode to Arkansas from New Mexico to pick it up. I had been doing some research on this forum and knew that I needed a Madstad, so I ordered a 17" (I am 6'5") and had it waiting for me when I returned home. I installed it today and realized I am going to return it and get the 15". I can see over it, but I have to sit straight up and lean forward, not the position I normally ride in. I have one on my NC700DCT and it made a huge difference. I knew as soon as I got on the highway that the stock shield on the F6B is pretty much useless. I'm glad I had earplugs for the ride home. Let the farkling begin!

Ride safe,
Pikester

dustytrader
10-23-2017, 11:00 AM
That's good to know. I'm 6'3 and debating on 15 vs 13

Hey everybody. New to the forum. I just traded in my 06 Wing for an 16 F6B. Rode to Arkansas from New Mexico to pick it up. I had been doing some research on this forum and knew that I needed a Madstad, so I ordered a 17" (I am 6'5") and had it waiting for me when I returned home. I installed it today and realized I am going to return it and get the 15". I can see over it, but I have to sit straight up and lean forward, not the position I normally ride in. I have one on my NC700DCT and it made a huge difference. I knew as soon as I got on the highway that the stock shield on the F6B is pretty much useless. I'm glad I had earplugs for the ride home. Let the farkling begin!

Ride safe,
Pikester

lloydmoore1
10-23-2017, 05:14 PM
That's good to know. I'm 6'3 and debating on 15 vs 13

I'm 6'1" and use the 13 always in the lowest setting.

Rickc
10-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Pulled the trigger and just placed my order for a 13" dark tint.

AWILLIAMS64
10-30-2017, 07:30 PM
I just bought a used madstad that is in perfect shape, but it has an 11" on it. I am 6"3 so I may have to go up to at least a 13 maybe even a 15. Things to find out after the purchase...lol. I will have to try it out first to see. I currently have the baggershield and I like it but the passengers are still getting a lot of buffeting. So is the general thought that I would need a 13 or 15? I have stock seat and have no plans to change as of now.

jm21ddd15
10-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Received and installed the Madstad today. 13" med tint. Looks great, wished I had done this before. Now I have 4 windshields in the garage. Probably like many others on the forum. I changed the seat this summer, and needed to change the shield. Now, I have an adjustable one. Yaa!

Rickc
10-31-2017, 07:31 AM
I also installed a 13" dark tint Madstad last night. Now waiting for the rain to stop so I can try it out. I took off a Medium ClearView with recurve which wasn't bad but I did get some buffering as the air hit me in the forehead. Right at 6' tall I look over the Madstad just about the same as the ClearView. Have to wait for a test run to make any adjustments.

dustytrader
10-31-2017, 08:43 AM
I'm 6'3" as well and still debating between the 13 and 15. It's hard to compare their height to other windshield since they rack forward so much more than the factory ones.

QUOTE=AWILLIAMS64;159161]I just bought a used madstad that is in perfect shape, but it has an 11" on it. I am 6"3 so I may have to go up to at least a 13 maybe even a 15. Things to find out after the purchase...lol. I will have to try it out first to see. I currently have the baggershield and I like it but the passengers are still getting a lot of buffeting. So is the general thought that I would need a 13 or 15? I have stock seat and have no plans to change as of now.[/QUOTE]

F6B1911
10-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Received and installed the Madstad today. 13" med tint. Looks great, wished I had done this before. Now I have 4 windshields in the garage. Probably like many others on the forum. I changed the seat this summer, and needed to change the shield. Now, I have an adjustable one. Yaa!

PICs, post a few PICs with the new Madstad and new seat.
Inquiring minds.......

F6B1911
10-31-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm 6'3" as well and still debating between the 13 and 15. It's hard to compare their height to other windshield since they rack forward so much more than the factory ones.

QUOTE=AWILLIAMS64;159161]I just bought a used madstad that is in perfect shape, but it has an 11" on it. I am 6"3 so I may have to go up to at least a 13 maybe even a 15. Things to find out after the purchase...lol. I will have to try it out first to see. I currently have the baggershield and I like it but the passengers are still getting a lot of buffeting. So is the general thought that I would need a 13 or 15? I have stock seat and have no plans to change as of now.[/QUOTE]

I'm only 5'10" and the 11" works perfect. Try riding with the 11" in a few different positions before you purchase anything taller.

Delta
10-31-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm 6'3" also. I first got a 15" and it was too tall in the lowest position. I then ordered a 13" and found this to be perfect for the majority of my riding. I use the 15" for my late November, early March cold weather rides.

jm21ddd15
10-31-2017, 01:58 PM
PICs, post a few PICs with the new Madstad and new seat.
Inquiring minds.......

Hey Mike, I will text you some pics. I'm not quite hi tech enough to getting my pics on the forum. :icon_doh:

AWILLIAMS64
10-31-2017, 07:17 PM
I will definitely try the 11 first, Mainly trying to help out passenger buffeting problem. I installed the baker hand wings as well. we will see as soon as I get another decent day.

I'm 6'3" also. I first got a 15" and it was too tall in the lowest position. I then ordered a 13" and found this to be perfect for the majority of my riding. I use the 15" for my late November, early March cold weather rides.

dustytrader
11-02-2017, 08:39 AM
COuld you still see over the 15"?

six2go
11-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Early on, there was a bit of a problem with the base of the Madstad not matching the curvature of the fairing thus leaving a gap. Does anyone know if this is still an issue on the newer Madstads?

willtill
11-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Early on, there was a bit of a problem with the base of the Madstad not matching the curvature of the fairing thus leaving a gap. Does anyone know if this is still an issue on the newer Madstads?

Still an issue. I even received a new base from them. But it's nothing that weatherstripping can't easily address.

Rickc
11-02-2017, 09:43 AM
I did have a small gap on the left side. I had a rubber strip already on the bike provided with the ClearView shield that I replaced. No gap on the right and put it all together leaving the small gap on the one side. Next time I take the nose off I will probably seal it with more rubber.

six2go
11-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Still an issue. I even received a new base from them. But it's nothing that weatherstripping can't easily address.Thanks Will. I remember when you got yours how you were upset about it. We seem to have the same issue about things being centered and balanced in our world. If the Madstad had the same gap at both ends it wouldn't be an issue for me. But..........................well, you know. :banghead:

six2go
11-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I did have a small gap on the left side. I had a rubber strip already on the bike provided with the ClearView shield that I replaced. No gap on the right and put it all together leaving the small gap on the one side. Next time I take the nose off I will probably seal it with more rubber.Thanks Rickc. I have a Clearview on now with that rubber gasket. Just maybe that will fill the gap on the Madstad if I decide to order one.

Delta
11-02-2017, 01:01 PM

At the lowest position, just barely. Seems like most times the top of the shield was just in my line of vision. It was very distracting. When I do put in on for cold weather riding, I put up with the distraction.

F6B1911
11-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Hey Mike, I will text you some pics. I'm not quite hi tech enough to getting my pics on the forum. :icon_doh:

Yeah, found out you need to have your own site to host PICs, then link to them. (Wonder how SimTech is doing)
I did get the pictures you texted, thanks.
We'll need a review on your new seat after you've put a few miles on..... think that's my next move.... unless I break down and get a 2018 !!

ths61
11-02-2017, 04:42 PM

FWIW, I am 6' 0" with a 32" inseam and can see over the 15". Smoke is cool, but I prefer clear for practical reasons. I found the 15" all the way down performed better for me and my rider than the 13" all the way up did. It usually stays all the way down unless it is really cold outside.