PDA

View Full Version : Reflective pin striping

copper
11-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Anyone done this with a motorcycle, or an F6B?

http://www.buzznick.com/tron-inspired-car/

willtill
11-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Looks like the racers from the movie Tron :icon_cool:

I do have to tell you, our F6B's really do need a little more visibility from the sides... they are pretty dark at night

wjduke
11-18-2016, 11:21 AM
I've seen that on wheels, not on the body like that...not too keen on the overkill.

Wing'n it
11-18-2016, 11:31 AM
I've seen that on wheels, not on the body like that...not too keen on the overkill.

I had my wheels done in reflective blue with a kit from Stripe-it-all and really liked the look, but it was short lived cause in a few months it was getting wrinkles in the tape that allowed dirt under it that only made it worse. Had to pull both wheels and remove it completely and that was a mess,... never again.

stroguy
11-18-2016, 11:46 AM
I did black stripes that reflect at night silver or white. Did a stripe just above the radiator openings and also two strips on the rear panel. Hard to see during the day but really look cool at night.

willtill
11-18-2016, 12:43 PM
I did black stripes that reflect at night silver or white. Did a stripe just above the radiator openings and also two strips on the rear panel. Hard to see during the day but really look cool at night.

Now I like that. Subtle in the day, and effectively noticeable at night.

I'd like to see how you did the two stripes on the rear panel. Did you contemplate putting reflective striping on the lower sides of the saddlebags as well?

Big TP
11-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Very cool! I installed the LED Badge rings and get a lot of wanted attention. Even when passing a car at night it really lets them know I am there, plus I get a good look at them.:icon_biggrin:

stroguy
11-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Will, I couldn't get into position in the dark garage with my flashlight for a decent pic during the day. I just followed the lines of where the black piece piece meets the painted piece. So there are two stripes that go up from the bottom and then go outwards along that line. I did want something on the split on the saddlebags but ran out of tape.

Patch
11-18-2016, 03:38 PM
I've ordered some more hi-reflect tape for the F6B to mirror what I did on my previous bike...it throws significant light back at the source. I had several people ask me if I had LED lights on while I was out at night.

Here is what it looked like with just the wheels done sitting in the driveway.

On Amazon, it can be found using search "High Intensity Reflective tape". If you clean the area of install very well, use Isopropyl Alcohol in the areas you are going to apply it to, you should have no problem getting this stuff to stay on. My NM4 held it's wheel tape for over a year before I sold it, and the current owner still has it installed.

Brasco
11-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Another product for wheels that comes in reflective or in a variety of other styles is offered by this company. http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/

The red would look sharp on the black B and I've seen a picture of a bike on this forum I believe that had the red wheel striping -- just can't find that photo now.

copper
11-18-2016, 10:30 PM

I also like that...where did you get the black striping?

...and ditto on the request for a picture of your back panels....

stroguy
11-18-2016, 11:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181020276641?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=480200471925&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bit grainy, tough picture taking with flashlight and flash less iPad.

copper
11-19-2016, 12:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181020276641?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=480200471925&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bit grainy, tough picture taking with flashlight and flash less iPad.

Nice job, & Thanks!

willtill
11-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks Stro... those accents look nice on the F6B. I think it is a PERFECT way to apply some reflective ability on this bike of ours, it certainly keeps the bike's clean lines represented in the dark. :yes: Really am digging how it loks on the side fairing. Am going to do the same thing; along with additional reflective tape on the saddle bags; where the matte silver meets the black lower portion of them :icon_cool: Going to look a little later to see if that can even be further enhanced...

stroguy
11-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. I just ordered another roll as well to do the saddlebags. The break in colors on the matte silver should work good, hard to see during the day but a nice 'hey what's that' stripe at night. That B&W USA flag on the bottom back panel is reflective as well.

53driver
11-19-2016, 10:19 AM
FWIW: Amazon has a 50' by 0.5" spool of this tape for $28.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063XI64/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

copper
11-19-2016, 11:52 AM
I've ordered some more hi-reflect tape for the F6B to mirror what I did on my previous bike...it throws significant light back at the source. I had several people ask me if I had LED lights on while I was out at night.

Here is what it looked like with just the wheels done sitting in the driveway.

On Amazon, it can be found using search "High Intensity Reflective tape". If you clean the area of install very well, use Isopropyl Alcohol in the areas you are going to apply it to, you should have no problem getting this stuff to stay on. My NM4 held it's wheel tape for over a year before I sold it, and the current owner still has it installed.

I'd like that rim tape if it was black, and blended in with the black of the stock wheel paint, but I haven't seen it in black yet.

I used the Stripe-it-all red tape for my stock M109r, but it was not a great match for the stock Candy red of the M109.

stroguy
11-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Did the saddlebags this weekend.

Excuse the Christmas decorations crap. All that stuff came from the attic this weekend as well.

willtill
11-29-2016, 07:03 AM
Did the saddlebags this weekend.

That is PERFECT !!!! :yes:

I ordered this reflective tape below from Ebay... should be in my hot little hands by Dec 6th

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271971254976

1/4" x 50' ....so I'll have enough to 'experiment" elsewhere on the bike... :icon_wink:

53driver
11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
My roll arrived yesterday.
Going to go play with it, copying Stro's work on the back and saddlebags, and adding possibly under the radiator just above the cylinder heads and those two down strips in the front of the radiator shroud.

Pics after I git 'er done.
Cheers,
Steve

copper
11-29-2016, 07:25 PM
That is PERFECT !!!! :yes:

I ordered this reflective tape below from Ebay... should be in my hot little hands by Dec 6th

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271971254976

1/4" x 50' ....so I'll have enough to 'experiment" elsewhere on the bike... :icon_wink:

Would this tape be suitable for applying to a circular pattern, as in around the rim edge??

stroguy
11-29-2016, 07:53 PM

Easily. It seems a shade thicker than other pinstriping but it takes a turn easily. You can see here I made a big doubletwistiebendie move. Only been a couple days but a good cleaning with alcohol prep wipes will do the trick. I think I have just enough to do both sides of the front wheel. That is my next target.

copper
11-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Easily. It seems a shade thicker than other pinstriping but it takes a turn easily. You can see here I made a big doubletwistiebendie move. Only been a couple days but a good cleaning with alcohol prep wipes will do the trick. I think I have just enough to do both sides of the front wheel. That is my next target.

Perfect, thanks!

willtill
11-30-2016, 08:54 AM
So what do you guys think of also adding this reflective striping to the middle of the F6B, such as I indicated below with the fuschia lines? Although your leg would cover some of it while riding; it would be visible when parked. Overall... it would maybe complete the "wholeness" of the flowing lines at night....

http://i63.tinypic.com/oggopj.jpg

willtill
12-11-2016, 09:57 AM
I am hoping for some warmer days... but alas; I may have to drag out my propane torpedo heater and get my shed's temperature up to snuff. This 3M reflective striping has to be applied at 55-90 degree's Fahrenheit :icon_frown:

And this is definitely the time of the year it's needed... the days are short and the evening darkness is all too often too early.. .

copper
12-11-2016, 04:54 PM
So what do you guys think of also adding this reflective striping to the middle of the F6B, such as I indicated below with the fuschia lines? Although your leg would cover some of it while riding; it would be visible when parked. Overall... it would maybe complete the "wholeness" of the flowing lines at night....

http://i63.tinypic.com/oggopj.jpg

I am hoping for some warmer days... but alas; I may have to drag out my propane torpedo heater and get my shed's temperature up to snuff. This 3M reflective striping has to be applied at 55-90 degree's Fahrenheit :icon_frown:

And this is definitely the time of the year it's needed... the days are short and the evening darkness is all too often too early.. .

Hey Will,

My bike is away for the winter, but I will likely follow the same fuchsia lines in black tape, as well as a black front rim tape. Parking rear wheel in to the curb in the early morning hours on an open road, & the all black side view gives me visibility concerns.