PDA

View Full Version : Clunk whenever I hit a bump

terryboyle
11-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Little things like that can get on my nerves. My theory is that most of the noise is the center stand bouncing down and springing back up to hit the frame.
Any thoughts-put some kind of foam or rubber cushioning?

wjduke
11-19-2016, 06:54 AM
Does this bring back memories....had a clunk towards the rear of mine. Not sure where your clunk is. Stumped me for a long time. What I finally found was a plastic bag that I had loose allen wrenches in. It had gotten free and it broke open inside the left saddlebag. I thought it was external for the longest time, checking the center stand, looking underneath, checking for loose bolts. That's all it was...just saying. Empty the saddlebags and look carefully inside.
Now, I have a slight clunk on larger bumps up front at times. "Wingn it" found that he had a loose fork nut where the bearings are. That could be a winter or early spring project for me to inspect. Another possibility for you.

willtill
11-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Does this bring back memories....had a clunk towards the rear of mine. Not sure where your clunk is. Stumped me for a long time. What I finally found was a plastic bag that I had loose allen wrenches in. It had gotten free and it broke open inside the left saddlebag. I thought it was external for the longest time, checking the center stand, looking underneath, checking for loose bolts. That's all it was...just saying. Empty the saddlebags and look carefully inside.
Now, I have a slight clunk on larger bumps up front at times. "Wingn it" found that he had a loose fork nut where the bearings are. That could be a winter or early spring project for me to inspect. Another possibility for you.

Pinch bolts? Exactly what nut?

Wing'n it
11-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Pinch bolts? Exactly what nut?

The stem nut, mine was so loose that it could be removed with my fingers. I had a whole thread posted on this and after I replaced the headset bearings with the All Balls and got "everything tight" my front end noises are gone!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8805-Could-steering-head-bearings-be-loose-or-bad-at-4500-miles

lurking luddite
11-22-2016, 12:40 PM
I mentioned a cluck in the front end when I dropped the bike off for rear brake recall.
When I picked it up they had changed the steering head bearings all nice and quiet now.

Wing'n it
11-23-2016, 07:58 AM
I mentioned a cluck in the front end when I dropped the bike off for rear brake recall.
When I picked it up they had changed the steering head bearings all nice and quiet now.

See, I think Honda has some issues with a handful of bikes out there. There are way too many people complaining about the front end clunking and there is no way people have enough miles to have worn out the bearings yet, a few yes but generally most have not. Mine started at around 4500 miles and it was bad when I got in there, everything was really loose. It's not fun to get to the stem nut/bearings but if you have unexplained front end clunking/clacking you should at least have them checked.

willtill
11-23-2016, 08:30 AM
See, I think Honda has some issues with a handful of bikes out there. There are way too many people complaining about the front end clunking and there is no way people have enough miles to have worn out the bearings yet, a few yes but generally most have not. Mine started at around 4500 miles and it was bad when I got in there, everything was really loose. It's not fun to get to the stem nut/bearings but if you have unexplained front end clunking/clacking you should at least have them checked.

Yea.. it's always something with these bikes. First the rear differential low on gear oil; then brake recall... then radiator hose clamp coolant leaks, now improper assembly of the head stem bearings... Is a huge pain it the butt to check them. But I am getting GOOD at ripping this bike apart thank gawd. :icon_lol:

Wing'n it
11-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Hey Terry Boyle, is Cougar boats still in production up there in Mississauga?

Steve 0080
11-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Little things like that can get on my nerves. My theory is that most of the noise is the center stand bouncing down and springing back up to hit the frame.
Any thoughts-put some kind of foam or rubber cushioning?

Hard to believe the center stand is making a noise.... unless you are jumping the B and there is no rubber bumper. There were some good ideals of where to look though....good luck !!!

bob109
11-24-2016, 02:34 AM
Had a issue with a rattle/clatter whenever I hit a bump! After checking the front end I found that some of the front fork "tupperware cover" were contacting each other. Removed the same and took some emery cloth and round file and "dressed"/"removed" the contacting edges".
Problem cured! No more rattle/clatter. The noise is "amplified" through the shock/facia tunnel and really gets ones attention!

A pic of the contacting parts which had evidence of "chaffing"!