PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain...

STRaider
11-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Why Honda would:

A). Put the usb connection in the sidebag
B). Leave the connection hanging from the top the way they did? Why not put an extra few inches of cable to at least set a player down in the trunk. One of the dumbest designs I have ever witnessed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single advantage to leave just enough wire to leave an MP3 player dangling while riding, which is how they designed it if bags aren't in the saddle bag. Just makes no sense.

Steve 0080
11-19-2016, 07:13 PM
This issue is length. Only certain cords can be that long and any longer causes issues. Most of us used two sided tape to hold a device or thumb drive on the wall of the bag. There are extensions but again the length thing causes issues. Try a thumb drive !

STRaider
11-19-2016, 07:16 PM
This issue is length. Only certain cords can be that long and any longer causes issues. Most of us used two sided tape to hold a device or thumb drive on the wall of the bag. There are extensions but again the length thing causes issues. Try a thumb drive !

That actually does make sense, but goes back to the placement of it. Why not put it closer, somewhere up in the dash in the cubby or create another cubby. Just cheap and/or bad design IMO.

zeus661
11-19-2016, 07:20 PM
That actually does make sense, but goes back to the placement of it. Why not put it closer, somewhere up in the dash in the cubby or create another cubby. Just cheap and/or bad design IMO.

I agree completely with you

Steve 0080
11-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Same place on the GL's as well.

VStarRider
11-19-2016, 07:30 PM
A lot of bikes seem to put the USB in the bags. The VStar 1300 does that as does another brand that I cannot recall at this time.

On the Chieftain, the USB was in a tiny bin with a flimsy plastic cover in the lower right of the fairing, which is only accessible underneath. A complete PITA. They give you a little pouch to put your phone in. Mine barely fit with the OtterBox on it. They do have Bluetooth as an option, but can't charge the phone via Bluetooth connection.

I use an extra 3' power supply cord for my iPhone connected to the USB in the bag at all times. When I use it, I connect to my phone and hold the device in place under the rubber strap that secures the owner's manual.

Since I got the Ram Mount, I have been using the auxiliary 3.5mm jack and power supply in the fairing cubby.

Wing'n it
11-19-2016, 08:22 PM
It makes since is you buy the "lid organizers" then there is a pouch right where it needs to be.

STRaider
11-19-2016, 08:25 PM
It makes since is you buy the "lid organizers" then there is a pouch right where it needs to be.

Oh, it makes sense if I buy something extra to improve on the shotty design? :icon_biggrin:

I wasn't aware of those. I'll take a look at them. Thanks for that info.

pitcherd
11-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Just another one of those things that makes you scratch you head and think.... I have a Garmin 590 Zumo and Bluetooth through that. It came with USB connectors that I ran to the front left compartment where I charge my phone. Seems to work for me, but when I am on the bike I am not worried about a phone.

stevenolts
11-20-2016, 07:41 AM
I use one of these it works just like a cap for the USB port but has 64BG of storage (tiny / no weight). I put it in and let it hang and have never had an issue for almost two years. All you need is the music files and the stereo does the rest. You do not need or probably want a mp3 player!!!

SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

$14.99

seadog
11-20-2016, 08:19 AM
I use one of these it works just like a cap for the USB port but has 64BG of storage (tiny / no weight). I put it in and let it hang and have never had an issue for almost two years. All you need is the music files and the stereo does the rest. You do not need or probably want a mp3 player!!!

SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

$14.99

I put a Sony Walkman with 14 GB capability in my left bag velcro'd to the back wall and have 55 CD's recorded on it and they only used up a little over 2GB so I could possible record over 300 albums on it and still have room for more. On an all day ride I don't get thru 1/4 of those Cd's and also one nice aspect is the fact that the Sony has a little power coming out of it more so than a thumb drive which has none. The amplifier in the bike takes that little bit of power and amplifies the music to the speakers, its definitely a good volume coming out of the speaker system as at freeway speeds I am only running the system at 13 or 14 on the volume with no distortion and nice crystal clear music. Oh and the Sony comes with a USB cable ready to plug into the port in the left bag. But then again you won't get the Sony for $14.99 but I still think its worth the extra cash.

Wing'n it
11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Did not say it was smart of them but it does seem to be the answer. Im using an Ipod even though I hate CrApple stuff but Honda did not ask me when designing the audio system. My 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero was the same way, if you use CrApple you can control the audio from the system, android your shit out of luck! Seems a little biased to me and my phone won't even fit in the left cubby.

DaWadd
11-20-2016, 08:29 AM
I bought a little mesh iPod holder from Honda that attaches to the front inside of the saddle bag. Works like a charm and the iPod doesn't bang around in the bag."coffee"

naga viper
11-20-2016, 09:17 AM
I empty out saddlebags when washing the 6 and when done always water in bags and that is from a garden hose. I velcro ed player and never had any problems with water.

BIGLRY
11-20-2016, 12:49 PM

$14.99Yep, I use and do the same thing, I have about 3,200 music files on mine and it is only about 1/2 full. Last May I rode all the way from the coast of Calif. to Corsicana TX. and back and never heard the same song twice.:icon_lol:

unsub
11-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Why Honda would:

A). Put the usb connection in the sidebag
B). Leave the connection hanging from the top the way they did? Why not put an extra few inches of cable to at least set a player down in the trunk. One of the dumbest designs I have ever witnessed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single advantage to leave just enough wire to leave an MP3 player dangling while riding, which is how they designed it if bags aren't in the saddle bag. Just makes no sense.

Try a thumb drive [never needs charging], or move your mp3 player into the left cubby.

Honda seems to build products conservatively to maintain reliability and ease of maintenance, and installs/endorses only the technology it has nailed down. IMO

The way it's placed works fine for a thumb drive, and it can be easily moved out of the way for gear.

As an aside the iphone/ipod connects with a 3 foot oem cable and can lay down in the bag, not sure why a knockoff mp3 player wouldn't behave the same.

stevenolts
11-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Does the extra power from the Sony really add extra power when played through the bike stereo?

I have a Boosteroo I think it was called for bumping up the headphones so I could hear the music from my android phone back on the Harley. I don't think it added power when played through the handlebar speakers though. It played through the 3.5mm head phone jack.

Steve

seadog
11-20-2016, 04:50 PM
I empty out saddlebags when washing the 6 and when done always water in bags and that is from a garden hose. I velcro ed player and never had any problems with water.

Garden hose or anything else, I have use Bike Spirit Cleaner wax and polish to clean and prep the bike for each ride and touch ups I use a damp micro fiber towel with a dry one for finishing.

STRaider
11-20-2016, 08:37 PM
Does the extra power from the Sony really add extra power when played through the bike stereo?

I have a Boosteroo I think it was called for bumping up the headphones so I could hear the music from my android phone back on the Harley. I don't think it added power when played through the handlebar speakers though. It played through the 3.5mm head phone jack.

Steve

Seems like an actual mp3 player sounds better than music stored on my phone. I wonder how music played from this would compare to the mp3 sound?

seadog
11-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Seems like an actual mp3 player sounds better than music stored on my phone. I wonder how music played from this would compare to the mp3 sound?

Would be amplified by the amplifier in the bike, more power into the amp means more power going out to the speakers. I am not exactly sure but I believe its putting out about a 1/2 watt into the amplifier.

53driver
11-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Gotta make sure that you are not overloading the pre-amp on the stock amplifier.
Too much and after a while pffffft....there goes the genie.

pilotguy299
11-21-2016, 03:11 PM
I bought a cheap 6' or 8' long usb to lightening cable and use it to connect to the usb cable in the saddlebag. no issues whatsoever with it not working. and i can use it to play the music files from the iPhone 6 plus, voice directions from google maps on the phone, and charge the phone at the same time.

STRaider
11-21-2016, 07:17 PM
I bought a cheap 6' or 8' long usb to lightening cable and use it to connect to the usb cable in the saddlebag. no issues whatsoever with it not working. and i can use it to play the music files from the iPhone 6 plus, voice directions from google maps on the phone, and charge the phone at the same time.

How did you route that, and where do you keep your phone?

pilotguy299
11-22-2016, 08:12 AM
How did you route that, and where do you keep your phone?

I have the whole cable in the left saddlebag. the phone is in it's holder and clipped to the strap in the bag. On a previous bike I had the phone in a aquabox on the handlebars, and thought it was just too distracting.

STRaider
11-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Yep, I use and do the same thing, I have about 3,200 music files on mine and it is only about 1/2 full. Last May I rode all the way from the coast of Calif. to Corsicana TX. and back and never heard the same song twice.:icon_lol:

After reading the responses here, I ordered one of these. Works great. I'll just leave it attached to the cable. I was convinced the sound from the MP3 player would sound better, but after switching them back and forth a few times, I believe the sound is identical. This is a great solution. Actually, I have a blue tooth helmet and will probably still use my phone hooked up to that most of the time anyway, but this is a good option when I want to listen to the music through the speakers.

Do most of you listen to music through the speakers while wearing a full face helmet?

bigdawg
11-22-2016, 07:27 PM
After reading the responses here, I ordered one of these. Works great. I'll just leave it attached to the cable. I was convinced the sound from the MP3 player would sound better, but after switching them back and forth a few times, I believe the sound is identical. This is a great solution. Actually, I have a blue tooth helmet and will probably still use my phone hooked up to that most of the time anyway, but this is a good option when I want to listen to the music through the speakers.

Do most of you listen to music through the speakers while wearing a full face helmet?

Yes, I find the bikes speakers very good for music and even talk radio with my full face Shoei Quest helmet as long as the signal is strong.

pilotguy299
11-23-2016, 08:45 AM

I think it sounds louder and clearer playing mp3, than the am/fm radio.

Paul B Blues
11-24-2016, 04:03 PM
When the guys did my conversation I got them to move the USB to the main glove box. I use a memory stick with a few thousand Blues tracks on it, good times 'all/right'

STRaider
11-26-2016, 01:27 PM
When the guys did my conversation I got them to move the USB to the main glove box. I use a memory stick with a few thousand Blues tracks on it, good times 'all/right'

Good move. That sounds much more practical.

STRaider
12-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Yep, I use and do the same thing, I have about 3,200 music files on mine and it is only about 1/2 full. Last May I rode all the way from the coast of Calif. to Corsicana TX. and back and never heard the same song twice.:icon_lol:

I ended up getting one of these and it's a great option. The only issue I have with it is it starts at the beginning of the song list every time I start the bike, so I'm having to skip ahead each time so as not to hear the same songs over and over. Has anyone figured out a work around for this?

stevenolts
12-30-2016, 11:01 PM
I use a USB memory thumb drive and it remembers where I left off and random plays from beginning to the end. I may have had to set it to random when I first got the bike. Do you have a manual? If not I can look up how to program the random play and let you know.
Steve

stevenolts
12-30-2016, 11:03 PM
The USB memory is the way to go better quality than the headphone 3.5 mm jack and always ready with no battery to keep charged. I plugged it in the first day I got the bike and never thought about it again.
Steve

RickJ
12-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Oh, it makes sense if I buy something extra to improve on the shotty design? :icon_biggrin:

I wasn't aware of those. I'll take a look at them. Thanks for that info.

shitty + shoddy= shotty I like it!

STRaider
12-31-2016, 12:34 AM
I use a USB memory thumb drive and it remembers where I left off and random plays from beginning to the end. I may have had to set it to random when I first got the bike. Do you have a manual? If not I can look up how to program the random play and let you know.
Steve

Do you mean set the bike controls or the USB drive for random play? I have a bike manual. I will look in there tomorrow. If you mean the thumb drive, if you know how to do that, that would be helpful info.

STRaider
12-31-2016, 09:22 AM
Steve

OK, got the bike switched to "All files Random". I just hadn't thought about that function being on the bike as I've never had a connection like this on a bike before, but makes total sense...NOW. "brain fart"

For those that may not know, get into the Ipod/USB mode by hitting the Aux button until you get to your desired device. To change play options, hit "A.Sel RPT/RND button until your desired option is selected. A.RND plays all files in random order. Again, thanks for the pointing out the setting idea.

JMartin
12-31-2016, 09:44 AM
...For those that may not know, get into the Ipod/USB mode by hitting the Aux button until you get to your desired device. To change play options, hit "A.Sel RPT/RND button until your desired option is selected. A.RND plays all files in random order. Again, thanks for the pointing out the setting idea.

Yup. Just set mine up last night with an old thumb drive full of 80's music and light jazz. :icon_cool:

BIGLRY
12-31-2016, 02:58 PM
OK, got the bike switched to "All files Random". I just hadn't thought about that function being on the bike as I've never had a connection like this on a bike before, but makes total sense...NOW. "brain fart"

For those that may not know, get into the Ipod/USB mode by hitting the Aux button until you get to your desired device. To change play options, hit "A.Sel RPT/RND button until your desired option is selected. A.RND plays all files in random order. Again, thanks for the pointing out the setting idea.
+1

53driver
12-31-2016, 06:37 PM
I just procured an iPod "Classic" from China that had been retrofitted with a 256GB Solid State Drive.
No moving parts.
28,000 songs and she's only half full.

Love technology.

F6Pilot
01-01-2017, 09:03 PM

I use the same device as well. Though I did get tired of it just dangling in the bag. I simply cut out the back of the stock port holder as shown...

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/jhollis211F6Pilot/Unknown-1_zpsqdmwzul0.jpeg