PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that thinks Motorcycle Boots with laces are a bad idea.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I see more and more ads in Motorcycle Magazines for Motorcycle Boots that lace up and no protective flap to hold the laces in place. I guess they never had the laces of a Boot get caught so their foot couldn't get to the ground at a stop!

Just an observation of what I thought to be a bad idea...

JMartin
11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Velcro! The shoelace of the new millennium. Now that I'm 56 (today, in fact), I've come to embrace Velcro in all my shoes. :icon_biggrin:

willtill
11-21-2016, 04:32 PM
I see more and more ads in Motorcycle Magazines for Motorcycle Boots that lace up and no protective flap to hold the laces in place. I guess they never had the laces of a Boot get caught so their foot couldn't get to the ground at a stop!

I like zip up motorcycle boots.

3Chief
11-21-2016, 04:33 PM

+1 :icon_biggrin:

lake_carl
11-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Been riding for 47 years never ever have my laces ever hooked on anything, my left shoe and boots often wear out where shifter rides on my foot and lace failure in same area happens often

Sorcerer
11-21-2016, 06:30 PM
If your boot laces are getting caught on pegs you need to do 2 things. Shorter laces and smaller bunny ears. 🙈🙉🙊

copper
11-21-2016, 06:44 PM

If your boot laces are getting caught on pegs you need to do 2 things. Shorter laces and smaller bunny ears. 

Once upon a time ago, I had to investigate a fatal motor vehicle accident, motorcycle vs pickup truck. The dirt bike rider came out of a ditch to cross a highway, and the truck (doing 50mph or greater) t-boned the motorcyclist dead centre. The only way we could tell for certain where the point of contact was because the impact drew the motorcyclist out of his zipped up boots, and his boots were left right at the point of contact - just as if someone had placed them side by side, standing up straight, in the middle of the lane. To be clear, keeping his boots on would not have helped him survive the accident.

I've not worn zippered boots riding motorcycles since. And I've never had a lace get caught up either.

To each their own, as long as it works!!

cueman
11-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Yes I have had a lace catch on the foot peg more than once when I was younger. Now I'm old and my belly will not let me bend to tie my shoes. :icon_redface: cueman

willtill
11-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Once upon a time ago, I had to investigate a fatal motor vehicle accident, motorcycle vs pickup truck. The dirt bike rider came out of a ditch to cross a highway, and the truck (doing 50mph or greater) t-boned the motorcyclist dead centre. The only way we could tell for certain where the point of contact was because the impact drew the motorcyclist out of his zipped up boots, and his boots were left right at the point of contact - just as if someone had placed them side by side, standing up straight, in the middle of the lane.

I've not worn zippered boots riding motorcycles since. And I've never had a lace get caught up either.

To each their own, as long as it works!!

I imagine that the motorcyclist had a hell of a lot more things to worry about post mortem; than where his boots were... :shhh:

copper
11-21-2016, 08:19 PM
I imagine that the motorcyclist had a hell of a lot more things to worry about post mortem; than where his boots were... :shhh:

I edited my post to reflect that, yes indeed.

Steve 0080
11-21-2016, 11:23 PM
I have had them in the past get hung up...shorten the laces and double knot them now. Another story, heard of a guy who was wearing an old style motorcycle jacket with the loops on the shoulder. Bent over for something and a loop got caught...bad wreck !!! Stuff happens !

3Chief
11-22-2016, 10:26 AM
I have had them in the past get hung up...shorten the laces and double knot them now. Another story, heard of a guy who was wearing an old style motorcycle jacket with the loops on the shoulder. Bent over for something and a loop got caught...bad wreck !!! Stuff happens !

Ditto, I've had them catch in the past but I was younger/dummer and had long laces or loose boots.

wjduke
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I've tried zippered boots, don't care for them. The latest boot I have is Street and Steel and I made damn sure that it had a flap over the laces. They actually have the widest flap I've seen.

3Chief
11-22-2016, 10:49 AM
I've tried zippered boots, don't care for them. The latest boot I have is Street and Steel and I made damn sure that it had a flap over the laces. They actually have the widest flap I've seen.

I like the functionality of my Bates, laced in the front but with the side zipper. Set'em and your good to go plus I can wear them all day on and off the bike with ease. They're great for bike touring. I had some straight zipper ones by fox I believe and they were not as nice or comfortable to walk around in.

willtill
11-22-2016, 11:15 AM
I have these and once they break in a little; they are very comfortable (you can get them cheaper then what Amazon currently is asking them for though). I am on my third pair now:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Motorcycle-Clothing-Company-8D/dp/B001GCMAOU

I laced up jump boots for like 21 years before... and now I like the convenience of just zipping them up. Quick and convenient :yes:

dkooris
11-22-2016, 11:20 AM

I can't stand the laces. I have to tuck mine in to the front of the webbing so they don't get caught or untie. I find myself more and more going to my old school velcro and zip boots. Laces bad, flaps and velcro good.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-22-2016, 01:26 PM
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking this way... I guess it is like anything else, it's all good -- until it isn't!

willtill
11-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking this way... I guess it is like anything else, it's all good -- until it isn't!

Ya.. nothing like expecting to put your foot down when stopped... and can't :shhh:

olegoat345
11-22-2016, 07:27 PM
I made a lace cover out of 3"-4" a canvas belt, a little super glue to stop the fraying. Got my laces caught in the shift. Good thing my G/F was right in front of me. I couldn't change gears, get off the bike, put down the kick stand. Felt dumb & hopeless.

xltsport
11-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Bought my 1st pair of specific motorcycle boots this year Chippewa motorcycle boots. Wore them all summer so far I really like them. Straps with velcro and a velcro flap on top👍