PDA

View Full Version : GPS Units

Bigcityd
11-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Can anyone advise on their experience with GPS units? Looking for a good all weather GPS unit to mount on my handlebars. Looking for advice on the pros and cons of the ones you've used or are using currently. Looking for a reliable retailer/online sales as well.

glide one
11-24-2016, 06:24 PM
I use the cheap garmin nuvi and trash when they break.
I use a clutch mount from leadermotorcycle.com very good product,give them a look.

ride safe

naga viper
11-24-2016, 07:00 PM
'popcorn and coke'

DMAGOLDRDR
11-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Garmin ZUMO 600 for me. Dedicated Motorcycle unit that can take (and has) days on the road in rain. Holds music (but I don't use it) and comes with a Motorcycle mount that lets you pop the Zumo right off and toss it in a saddlebag.

I tried the cheap units but if you use it for travel and you get caught in bad weather, I look at is it better be waterproof because that is probably the time I will need it most.

yellow rex
11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
I have used all the Garmin Zumo since the very beginning starting with the 550, 660, and the 590 never any troubles.

terryboyle
11-24-2016, 10:12 PM
I have used all the Garmin Zumo since the very beginning starting with the 550, 660, and the 590 never any troubles.

can't see what it is attached to.

Thanks.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-25-2016, 08:10 AM
I forgot the picture of my mount. I have it mounted to the bars because I wear progressive lens Glasses and that spot is perfect for me to see the GPS. The bracket is home made as the RAM mount put it a bit too close for me to see clear.

The second pic is just the mount when the Zumo is off the bike.

Milkmaster
11-25-2016, 09:01 AM
I use the inexpensive Garmin Nuvi models that work well. Currently I am using the Nuvi 52LM. I keep a couple of sandwich bags in the bike to use just in case I get caught out in the rain. The bag slips over the top of it to keep it dry and still allows use and operation easily. I use a Ram Mount ball on the clutch reservoir. Good Luck!

willtill
11-25-2016, 10:00 AM
I use the inexpensive Garmin Nuvi models that work well. Currently I am using the Nuvi 52LM. I keep a couple of sandwich bags in the bike to use just in case I get caught out in the rain. The bag slips over the top of it to keep it dry and still allows use and operation easily. I use a Ram Mount ball on the clutch reservoir. Good Luck!

Same exact practice here... except I have a Magellan. :yes:

Wing'n it
11-25-2016, 05:17 PM
I bought the Garmin 2797 and it's a huge 7 inch GPS and I ran that for awhile on a ram mount on the back of my Madstad shield base. However after getting caught in a couple of rain storms unprepared I had to stop and remove the unit so it didn't get wet. I then spent the big money and bought a dedicated motorcycle unit, a Zumo 595 for $900 bucks! It's nice and I really like some of the features including the TPMS built in and the fuel monitor. It ties in the audio really easy and even does Bluetooth for my Sens headset but I wish it was bigger!...........

yellow rex
11-25-2016, 10:04 PM
terryboyle just a few more photos, it mounts to a home made bracket that bolts to the top bolt on the windshield and two side tape
so it will not move around since I just used the top bolt.

terryboyle
11-26-2016, 11:20 PM
I like the way it does not block anything

stroguy
11-26-2016, 11:33 PM
Is there GPS that will accept a Ram ball in the rear, similar to a camera tripod mount? The units I see have a pre plugged bracket. I would prefer to just screw a ball to the rear and use a Ram arm and a separate power cord.

lake_carl
11-27-2016, 12:31 AM
GPS? Thought getting lost is half the fun of most rides, would like a phone app that would tell me what hard surface roads are not dead ends

yellow rex
11-27-2016, 09:50 AM
stroguy which GPS are you wanting to mount on a ram ball mount?
They make a mount for just about everything that's mountable.

stroguy
11-27-2016, 10:13 AM
stroguy which GPS are you wanting to mount on a ram ball mount?
They make a mount for just about everything that's mountable.

Well I haven't really picked a unit but was more looking at how they mounted. When I see the rear of the GPS units they all seem to require a power bracket and pre molded connnctor that then mounts to the Ram. I was hoping to find a GPS that has a threaded opening in the rear that a GPS would accept a Ram ball with all thread to mount.

seadog
11-27-2016, 10:51 AM
But its a small Garmin 205 and I plug it into the socket in the left cubby and I have the Kuryakyn cubby cover cup holder and the sucker mount of the Garmin mounting bracket fits right down in the cup holder and it right in front of me and works very well.

Chas
11-27-2016, 11:48 AM
I have the Zumo 390LM. Comes with lifetime map updates for free and has a Ram Mount included. Open box, install mount, add power and off you go. It is rated at 7 atmospheres for water resistance. I think I got that part right. If not please correct my terminology.

yellow rex
11-27-2016, 01:57 PM
sroguy this should work for you, I will send you a PM with the companies name. I do not mention other non supporting venders on the open forum to respect the forum.

stroguy
11-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks Rex

Bigcityd
11-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Can anyone advise on their experience with GPS units? Looking for a good all weather GPS unit to mount on my handlebars. Looking for advice on the pros and cons of the ones you've used or are using currently. Looking for a reliable retailer/online sales as well.

Looks like the dedicated motorcycle unit is going to be the one. When I'm gone for a few weeks at a time, I need weather protection. Thanks for the tips gents.

unsub
11-27-2016, 05:02 PM

As you can see there is quite a cross section of ideas that all seem to work as intended.

I've got a 1st generation Zumo 660 and it performs very well. It has a removable/replaceable/rechargeable battery and micro sd card which I load up with music or trips.

It's on switched power, the audio comes through the bike speakers and the Honda comms if desired, and it's mounted to the clutch lever clamp/handlebars with the provided RAM mounts.

It also came with a car mount so I simply disconnect as illustrated by DMAGOLDRDR and use it in my car.

Not sure about the newer ZUMO's but this baby came complete with wiring harness's and hardware for every scenario..... in the box.

yellow rex
11-27-2016, 06:35 PM
This is a collection of Garmin unit's since 2008, the wife always likes the latest GPS.

stroguy
11-27-2016, 06:55 PM
The wife? I should lay out my handguns and take a pic......the wife always likes the latest 1911.........right.

terryboyle
11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
that an adaptor like this existed or that it would be so inexpensive. So many things to be learned on this forum.
Thanks yellow rex:cheers: