PDA

View Full Version : Tilting Motorworks Conversion of an F6B

tiltingf6b
11-28-2016, 08:52 AM
I own a 2014 Honda Valkyrie F6C - bought it thinking I could convert it to a http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/ bike. They thought they could convert it too.
However the geometry of the Valkyrie was just enough different to make it a NO CAN DO. :banghead:
You might ask why I want a three wheeler in the first place?
You might even think a three wheeler isn't a real motorcycle.
The Tilting Motorworks system is a FULL LEAN, just like your two wheeled bike, system; and it allows you to corner even more aggressively! But with a tilt lock system installed it will lock the bike upright at speeds under 5 mph. This means shorter riders or older riders or even disabled riders can ride the ride they want to ride SAFELY.

So Determined or Stubborn as I am, I bought a 2015 F6B with plans to convert it. Got a new one for 16k OTD. :icon_biggrin:

I'm a little short @ 5'7" and my inseams at 29" And while I'm flat footed on the Valkyrie F6C I am on the balls of my feet with the F6b. A lot of this has to due with the OEM seat being so damn wide - New Orleans Hooker wide.

Looking forward to my conversion come spring - meanwhile I am loving the F6B and avoiding inclines where stops might be involved.

Once the conversion is done I will put a Russell Day Long Saddle on it - I have one on my Indian and it is amazing.

I have also been fortunate enough to find someone who will trade me their F6B for my F6C so I can ride two F6B's - one with 2 wheels and one with 3 wheels - one at a time of course.:icon_cool:

tiltingf6b
11-28-2016, 08:54 AM
I own a 2014 Honda Valkyrie F6C - bought it thinking I could convert it to a http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/ bike. They thought they could convert it too.
However the geometry of the Valkyrie was just enough different to make it a NO CAN DO. :banghead:
You might ask why I want a three wheeler in the first place?
You might even think a three wheeler isn't a real motorcycle.
The Tilting Motorworks system is a FULL LEAN, just like your two wheeled bike, system; and it allows you to corner even more aggressively! But with a tilt lock system installed it will lock the bike upright at speeds under 5 mph. This means shorter riders or older riders or even disabled riders can ride the ride they want to ride SAFELY. http://thekneeslider.com/tilting-motor-works-offers-a-full-range-of-trikes-for-harleys-and-the-gold-wing/

So Determined or Stubborn as I am, I bought a 2015 F6B with plans to convert it. Got a new one for 16k OTD. :icon_biggrin:

I'm a little short @ 5'7" and my inseams at 29" And while I'm flat footed on the Valkyrie F6C I am on the balls of my feet with the F6b. A lot of this has to due with the OEM seat being so damn wide - New Orleans Hooker wide.

Looking forward to my conversion come spring - meanwhile I am loving the F6B and avoiding inclines where stops might be involved.

Once the conversion is done I will put a Russell Day Long Saddle on it - I have one on my Indian and it is amazing.

Pics:

tiltingf6b
11-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Pics:

3Chief
11-28-2016, 09:38 AM

:

I'm a little taller with the same inseam, the mustang seat put me completely flat footed. Even stock wasn't that off...

yellow rex
11-28-2016, 07:35 PM
I saw these at Wing Ding but they were doing a lot of talking but the owner of the company said they had not delivered
any yet and would not let us test ride one, do you no of anybody with one?

Wing'n it
11-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Am I missing something here?? What's the point? If it leans then it still acts like a motorcycle but now you have two front tires wearing out, plus you can still fall over. Kinda defeats the whole trike thing.

Old Ryder
11-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Am I missing something here?? What's the point? If it leans then it still acts like a motorcycle but now you have two front tires wearing out, plus you can still fall over. Kinda defeats the whole trike thing.

I think that the point is that at 5 MPH or less, the tires lock up like a true "Trike" and it becomes a stable 3 wheel machine. I see where this is a great idea for those who are not comfortable with a large bike at slow speeds.

Old Ryder
11-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Pics:

Nice Valkyrie! Wish I had one just like it!

tiltingf6b
11-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Nice Valkyrie! Wish I had one just like it!

:icon_mrgreen:

tiltingf6b
11-29-2016, 06:04 PM
I think that the point is that at 5 MPH or less, the tires lock up like a true "Trike" and it becomes a stable 3 wheel machine. I see where this is a great idea for those who are not comfortable with a large bike at slow speeds.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

Steve 0080
11-29-2016, 07:00 PM
As long as you have wind in your hair, who cares how its done...we may be there someday !!!

Wing'n it
11-29-2016, 07:12 PM

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

If it "locks" into a trike why is the kickstand used in the above picture? Not being an ass just curious as to why? The two wheels rear and the two wheels front make since but the leaning trike just dumbfounds me.... I have seen Chinese scooters made that way is it just a bigger version bolted to a Wing?

willtill
11-30-2016, 06:30 AM
If it "locks" into a trike why is the kickstand used in the above picture? Not being an ass just curious as to why? The two wheels rear and the two wheels front make since but the leaning trike just dumbfounds me.... I have seen Chinese scooters made that way is it just a bigger version bolted to a Wing?

Piaggio's are another three wheeled tilting motorcycle: http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooter/mp3-500-sport-abs.html

I think the advantage to this type of motorbike is that you can have a trike with the stability... and still ride it like a motorcycle with the leaning and counter steering inputs. :yes:

I test drove a Canam Spyder once (three wheeled but not tilting) and it absolutely sucked. :no: Felt like I was on a ATV. Was so happy to get back on my motorcycle after that test ride.

Here's a fairly decent video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1irO5UY68

Old Ryder
11-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Piaggio's are another three wheeled tilting motorcycle: http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooter/mp3-500-sport-abs.html

I think the advantage to this type of motorbike is that you can have a trike with the stability... and still ride it like a motorcycle with the leaning and counter steering inputs. :yes:

I test drove a Canam Spyder once (three wheeled but not tilting) and it absolutely sucked. :no: Felt like I was on a ATV. Was so happy to get back on my motorcycle after that test ride.

Here's a fairly decent video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1irO5UY68

On a recent mountain trip, a buddy of mine rented a Can-Am to ride with us for the weekend. I rode it for about 4 hours---I too, was not impressed. The paddle shift tranny was great, but my knees hurt and my thigh muscles were sore for a while. Not to mention the "pucker tension" from going around curves feeling like it was trying to throw you off. I did learn how to make it a bit better later in the ride, but it was no fun to start with. It is a different animal. Given the choice of that and my wife's MX5 convertible, I will take the Mazda every time, and it ain't even a motorcycle.

tiltingf6b
11-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Wing'n it - I would go to the tilting motorworks link I posted and watch some of the videos - You will notice a good number of folks leave motorcycling do to age or health issues. People who could extend their motorcycling days for years with the right motorcycle! People drive trikes - but the tilting motorworks system leaves the motorcycle a motorcycle and you still have to countersteer and lean etc.... and if you hit some gravel or a wet spot you have 3 patches of rubber on the road :icon_biggrin:

GNW
11-30-2016, 09:32 AM
As long as you have wind in your hair, who cares how its done...we may be there someday !!!

Amen to that !

:attention1:

Old Ryder
11-30-2016, 10:02 AM

And for those of us who do not have hair, I guess we get "knees in the breeze". :motorcycle2:

tiltingf6b
11-30-2016, 10:18 AM
On a recent mountain trip, a buddy of mine rented a Can-Am to ride with us for the weekend. I rode it for about 4 hours---I too, was not impressed. The paddle shift tranny was great, but my knees hurt and my thigh muscles were sore for a while. Not to mention the "pucker tension" from going around curves feeling like it was trying to throw you off. I did learn how to make it a bit better later in the ride, but it was no fun to start with. It is a different animal. Given the choice of that and my wife's MX5 convertible, I will take the Mazda every time, and it ain't even a motorcycle.
I'm a big fan of the Mx5!

pilotguy299
11-30-2016, 10:36 AM
I think that I would consider http://landingear.com or http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooter/mp3-500-sport-abs.html.

Wing'n it
11-30-2016, 01:29 PM
I owned a couple of the Can Am Spyders and thankfully a good lawyer got me out of the first one and a quick sale got rid of the replacement for the first one, NEVER again! I would rather have my proctologist take a second look that own another Spyder.

98valk
11-30-2016, 04:44 PM

looking at the website, it looks like "locking" is an option (more money!). :yikes:

Jimmytee
12-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Here is a four wheel tilting motorcycle

Jimmytee
12-01-2016, 09:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRkfueAWq7I

yellow rex
12-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Honda has a concept Neo Wing tilting motorcycle.

yellow rex
12-01-2016, 10:22 PM
This is one more.

tiltingf6b
12-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm a little taller with the same inseam, the mustang seat put me completely flat footed. Even stock wasn't that off...

thanks for the info 3 chief !:yes:

Jimmytee
12-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Honda has a concept Neo Wing tilting motorcycle.

I thought about posting that one, but it was on here no too long ago. I first saw the Yamaha 4 wheeler a couple weeks back or so.

lake_carl
12-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda made a moped in the mid to late 80s that had the lean and two wheels up front was interesting and very motorcycle like to ride