PDA

View Full Version : F6B or Full Wing...?

JMartin
12-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm only 2 pounds away from my goal of losing 40 pounds. :icon_biggrin:
Upon reaching that goal, I have told myself I'm free to purchase the Wing of my dreams. (I currently ride a 2003 ST1100P).

Some of you might remember my post from back in September (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9671-I-wanted-to-share-my-F6B-Rental-Experience) when I had the opportunity to rent an F6B for a day in southern California. This trip started me on my diet and my quest for the perfect bike for me. I plan to do some touring/camping that will be 95% solo. I've been collecting my gear, and for the most part, it will fit in two saddlebags and either a top box, or a large tail bag that I already have. Now that I've been watching the market and gathering information to make an educated decision, I have three new concerns...

Do I plop $16k - $17k into the 2016 White F6B that originally caught my fancy?

+ has warranty
+ has Cruise Control
+ is what I originally wanted

- costs the most
- huge depreciation hit

Or do I save several thousand dollars and get a 2013-2014?

+ big discounts and soft sellers market
+ may or may not have warranty

- doesn't have Cruise Control
- can't get White

Or do I find a nice used "Full Wing" that would fit my needs?

+ great market for low mileage used bikes right now
+ already has Cruise and many other options that were stripped to create the F6B
+ trunk (something I fell in love with on my PC800)
+ plenty of White ones out there for sale

- not an F6b (will I miss the sportiness of the bagger?)
- 900+ pounds (not something I'm afraid of... but really... 900+ pounds?)

I'm just looking for others opinions. Especially those who may have owned both bikes.

Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

Jim

JGF6B
12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
I would consider renting a full wing for comparison. The seating position is different. The weight distribution is different.

BIGLRY
12-01-2016, 01:45 PM
You only go around life once and you can't take it with ya so if ya can do it financially why not get the bike of your dreams? The new white F6B would be my choosing if that was my dream steed. Good luck on whatever you choose as you will never go wrong choosing a Honda.:icon_biggrin:

opas ride
12-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Upon reaching that goal, I have told myself I'm free to purchase the Wing of my dreams. (I currently ride a 2003 ST1100P).

Some of you might remember my post from back in September (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9671-I-wanted-to-share-my-F6B-Rental-Experience) when I had the opportunity to rent an F6B for a day in southern California. This trip started me on my diet and my quest for the perfect bike for me. I plan to do some touring/camping that will be 95% solo. I've been collecting my gear, and for the most part, it will fit in two saddlebags and either a top box, or a large tail bag that I already have. Now that I've been watching the market and gathering information to make an educated decision, I have three new concerns...

+ has warranty
+ has Cruise Control

- costs the most
- huge depreciation hit

- can't get White

+ already has Cruise and many other options that were stripped to create the F6B

I'm just looking for others opinions. Especially those who may have owned both bikes.

Jim
My opinion, for what it is worth, is to buy the GW if your planning on spending a lot of time on road trips..Better storage and a few more "whistles and bells"...The stock seat and windshield on the Wing are pretty much okay and good to go as is..Plus you have cruise control and heated seats which are not available on some F6B's (2013's)...I do not ride on long trips much anymore and the F6B works great for me with the Mustang seat, Baggershield windscreen, and Cobra pipes..Cruise control was a non-issue for me as I hardly ever used it on my other Touring bikes...The handling and weight is much better for me with the F6B and around town I prefer it over the larger and heavier Wing....Both great bikes and some excellent deals right now ....Bear in mind although, if it concerns you any, that rumor has it that the Goldwing is going to be significantly up-dated sometime in 2017 with the new 2018 models...Ride safe

DTOM
12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
I sold my Goldwing to get the F6B. I prefer the look of the bagger far more. Feels better to me as well. I usually only ride long distances and I have found the F6B to be every bit as comfortable and accommodating as my Goldwing. Less storage for sure, but a bag on the back seat and/or luggage rack works just fine. The cruise control is a must for me. You obviously don't need it on the fun roads, but the interstates are a must...in my opinion. There are some great deals out there on '15's if you can compromise on the white. And congrats on losing the weight! Good luck!

rdeady
12-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Get a 13 or 14 and save the money. Same bike . Spend the savings on a new seat ,ergo 3s, and a windshield.

pilotguy299
12-01-2016, 05:05 PM
my white f6b gets attention everywhere i go. it just looks classy, and the younger bitches love it.

https://aboutdawn.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/the-beast-the-game-and-oneitis/

i prefer a slightly shiney look and have several coats of liquid glass on it. it has the sparkle look of the 07 shadow aero in the sun, and i think looks better than the straight matte finish.

and did i mention that the younger bitches love it?

Miks
12-01-2016, 06:47 PM
I have owned a new 2012 GoldWing, and currently own a 2015 F6B. IN reality, you can't go wrong with either bike, but my thoughts are directed on the mission. Keep in mind, the Street Glide is one of the most popular Harley Davidson's, and for a good reason...I owned a new 2012 at the same time I had my Goldwing.

Two up touring, you HAVE to have the Goldwing! So...if you like to do a majority of your riding going on long distance trips...the GoldWing is the bike. It feels a lot heavier with the top-box, and does have a different seat and a few other intricacies. So, more comfortable, and passenger accommodations with luggage, this is your bike.

That being said. If you enjoy looking cool, a more maneuverable bike for your daily driver and go fetch some groceries, the F6B is your bike. It still can do the long distance tours, load the thing up with the kitchen sink strapped on, and you will love it! It just has that light of a feel compared to the GoldWing.

Az Wingrider
12-01-2016, 07:45 PM
In my opinion the F6B is the way to go. I traded a 07 Goldwing in on my 2015 F6B and I have absolutely no regrets. I disagree with a previous reply on the Wing being better for long trips and touring. I do a lot of touring and some motorcycle camping and the F6B gives up nothing at all to the wing on multi-day trips. I strap a large bag on the back seat and if needed another on the luggage rack. I made a three week trip in July and never missed having a trunk.

Its just one mans opinion but I think that it is worth the extra money to get a 2015. As I said I do a lot of touring and I enjoy the cruise.

In any case welcome to Forum

Circle-5
12-01-2016, 08:25 PM
If I had the money, I'd get one of each.

Wing'n it
12-01-2016, 10:40 PM
I had both, owned a 2002 full Wing and me and the wife loved it! Had a couple of close calls with teen girls texting and I sold it and was done. Decided to be safe bought a 2013 Can Am Spyder RTS,... don't recommend this option, EVER! (long story involving lawyers) Ended up buying a 2015 F6B in blue and love it for the styling and looks. The wife was not too keen on it with out the trunk so I had to mod the bike to accept a Kawasaki trunk kit I already had, this trunk can be installed/removed in about 15 minuets that way it's the bike I like and when she wants to go she has the trunk/backrest. Sometimes I wish I had got the full Wing but not very often.

JMartin
12-02-2016, 12:32 AM
I had both, owned a 2002 full Wing and me and the wife loved it! Had a couple of close calls with teen girls texting and I sold it and was done. Decided to be safe bought a 2013 Can Am Spyder RTS,... don't recommend this option, EVER! (long story involving lawyers) Ended up buying a 2015 F6B in blue and love it for the styling and looks. The wife was not too keen on it with out the trunk so I had to mod the bike to accept a Kawasaki trunk kit I already had, this trunk can be installed/removed in about 15 minuets that way it's the bike I like and when she wants to go she has the trunk/backrest. Sometimes I wish I had got the full Wing but not very often.

I saw your thread about the trunk kit and was very impressed. Also saw the recent posts that Kawi had discontinued the kit, and was very disappointed. I'm sure there are other similar options that could be explored... I may continue to look into this.

With respect to my wife, she has never ridden with me (except a few times as kids on my dirt bikes), and unfortunately our time to ride off together into the sunset is being threatened by other unstoppable influences. As a result, her sunset will come sooner than mine. If I do any two-up riding in the future it would be with my daughter (25), and I don't see that happening often enough to make it a major criteria in my decision. Besides, I recently bought her a 2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 and am teaching her to ride on her own... which would be my preferred adventure with her.

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim

JMartin
12-02-2016, 12:33 AM
If I had the money, I'd get one of each.

As would I... and in a slew of colors. :icon_biggrin:

But alas... I must instead make a choice.
Decisions, decisions.

JMartin
12-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Get a 13 or 14 and save the money. Same bike . Spend the savings on a new seat ,ergo 3s, and a windshield.

As I've watched the market I often see many bikes for sale who's owners have already installed many of these options.
There are some serious discounted sales happening if you can find them.
Thanx.

Steve 0080
12-02-2016, 12:46 AM
YOLO...get what you want, tomorrow is not promised to anyone ! .dickie-deals.

pilotguy299
12-02-2016, 06:38 AM
YOLO...get what you want, tomorrow is not promised to anyone ! .dickie-deals.

^^^ THIS! ^^^

And these:

https://aboutdawn.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/thebeast.jpg

https://aboutdawn.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/img_1659.jpg

lol

tiltingf6b
12-02-2016, 07:41 AM
You only go around life once and you can't take it with ya so if ya can do it financially why not get the bike of your dreams? The new white F6B would be my choosing if that was my dream steed. Good luck on whatever you choose as you will never go wrong choosing a Honda.:icon_biggrin:

@biglry - hit the nail on the head - !

tiltingf6b
12-02-2016, 07:44 AM
^^^ THIS! ^^^

And these:

lol

SWEET! that's the way to set the hook :icon_mrgreen:

tiltingf6b
12-02-2016, 07:55 AM

+ has warranty
+ has Cruise Control

- costs the most
- huge depreciation hit

- can't get White

Jim

When i got into the F6 market in 2016 i thought the 2014 Valkyrie F6C would work and save me some moolah at 11K out the door. Fell in love with the platform! Woof.
But alas, I wanted more touring capability so I bought a 2015 F6B @ 16K out the door. Woof Woof.
Now I'm really in love with these F6 scoots - but the full boat gold wing? I took one for a ride and it's behemoth nature scared the heck out of me.
Being 5'7" the Full Wing is just too damn much bike for my little arse + the wifey and no one else is throwing a leg over it.
No breasts at your back = why go all the way?:icon_mrgreen:
You can't go wrong with a new set of wheels if you can afford it. If not there are lots of great deals to be had that folks have done tons of ugrades to.
So Unless your destined to tote some fine lady behind you to keep your back side warm, stay with the B. And unless you need to be frugal and pinch pennies go NEW and HUNT for the DEAL!

copper
12-02-2016, 08:17 AM

+ has warranty
+ has Cruise Control

- costs the most
- huge depreciation hit

- can't get White

Jim

^^^ THIS! ^^^

And these:

lol

As much as the full wing is a nice 'ship', I found that the seating on the full wing sat me to far forward onto the tank. I found that at 6', with a 34" inseam and an arm length to match, the seating position of the F6B was farther back and more relaxing.

I gotta say the white wing is pretty nice, but I can't say enough about how the black one I have gets lots of love from the Harley riders I go out with. I also test rode a white wing, and a white Victory Vision to help me with decision process.

I decided to go with the 'discounted' used 2013, with many of the 'first owner' options I wanted already installed on it. Mine came with an adjustable backrest & rack, Madstad shield, a home-grown version of baker hand wings & mini driver boards. Have to admit I have also installed a couple other items to make it mine though. (A Breakaway Throttle lock arrived yesterday!) Couldn't be happier.

The decision to go with a new bike means you are staring from scratch though, so in addition to the instant depreciation hit, but you (as most do) will be quite likely looking at a shield, a seat, and a back rest & (more importantly) a luggage rack on top of the new bike price. The photo of the above white bike pretty much makes my point.

This will be my last bike, hopefully, and I can't say enough how pleased I am with my choice. Really, in your above options, there isn't a bad choice in the bunch....

Good luck with your decision!

C

pilotguy299
12-02-2016, 08:35 AM
As much as the full wing is a nice 'ship', I found that the seating on the full wing sat me to far forward onto the tank. I found that at 6', with a 34" inseam and an arm length to match, the seating position of the F6B was farther back and more relaxing.

I gotta say the white wing is pretty nice, but I can't say enough about how the black one I have gets lots of love from the Harley riders I go out with. I also test rode a white wing, and a white Victory Vision to help me with decision process.

I decided to go with the 'discounted' used 2013, with many of the 'first owner' options I wanted already installed on it. Mine came with an adjustable backrest & rack, Madstad shield, a home-grown version of baker hand wings & mini driver boards. Have to admit I have also installed a couple other items to make it mine though. (A Breakaway Throttle lock arrived yesterday!) Couldn't be happier.

The decision to go with a new bike means you are staring from scratch though, so in addition to the instant depreciation hit, but you (as most do) will be quite likely looking at a shield, a seat, and a back rest & (more importantly) a luggage rack on top of the new bike price. The photo of the above white bike pretty much makes my point.

This will be my last bike, hopefully, and I can't say enough how pleased I am with my choice. Really, in your above options, there isn't a bad choice in the bunch....

Good luck with your decision!

C

I understand your point about having to start from scratch, but every time i've tried to save few dollars i've ended up less than thrilled. I ended up spending extra money trying to get where I really wanted to be, and then still not been that happy.

On previous bikes i tried saving a few dollars on buying accessories based on price, instead of what I really wanted to get. I always felt a little disappointed, and in a few instances replaced the item later on with what i really wanted to begin with. Too many extra parts sat in my garage until I could resell them at a loss.

Sure it cost a bit more, but i have exactly what i want on the bike, (well, except for the woman I REALLY WANT - G67), and couldn't be happier. I'd rather wait a bit and buy exactly what I want, and i've been a lot happier that way, and saved space in my garage from storing used stuff.

This is most definitely going to be my last bike ever, and I'll be damned if she won't be exactly how I want her.

And the dead don't worry about depreciation that much...

YMMV

Redlinez
12-02-2016, 09:44 AM
If you can afford both, I'd say ride both. The discounts on F6B's are so much greater though, I believe it was at least $4k more for the full wing for me. That made the decision easy.I bought a 15 Blue F6B last spring, got rid of it this spring, bought a Ninja 1000. Wife hated it and me. Traded it on another 15 B a couple months back, this time matte silver. Now they have a blue and black full wing that really looks awesome for 16 or 17....

JMartin
12-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Alright guys... thank you so much for your input and opinions. At the moment, I'm leaning heavily toward the F6B again. White, of course... which pretty much forces me to the 2016. PilotGuy, your pictures are awesome... I just love that White/Black look. White over Black has been a trademark look for me most of my life and with several vehicles. Even my current ride is an ex-Pasadena Police bike.

For the stock F6b however, these items are a must:

Touring Rack (http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/f6b_touring_rack/185897/259409)
The stock rear rack is pitiful. Plus I already bought a TourMaster Tail Bag (http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/nylon_cruiser_iii_tour_trunk_rack_bag/287/515), where my Tent (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/backpacking-tents/elixir-3/product) and several other items will reside, so I'll need a larger rack to handle this bag. The bike I rented had this rack on it. I like the design and looks of it over the other tubular type racks available.

Saddlebag Liners (http://tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/select_saddlebag_liners/293/517)
Already bought these too. Have one of them packed with goodies already (Tool Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWKOY2K), Tire Kit (http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-puncture-pilot-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs/), Stove (http://www.campchef.com/camp-chef-mountain-series-stryker-stove.html), Propane, Tarp, First Aid Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FN9ZCBY), Hammock, and other necessities). The other will be for clothing and the likes. I want to be able to pull into a hotel/motel and just grab the one bag and go.

Madstad Windscreen (http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2837/.f)
Although I don't really care for the bracketry hanging off it... it does work very well. This was also on the bike I spent a day on. Very effective. I may look at, and try, others that are more sleek and look better... I just don't want to go through 5 or 6 windshields just to settle on one.

Lighting
Filling in the factory lighting location seems a requirement for me. Something in LED's would be my preference. I also like the idea of the Badge accent lights, but don't know if I like the "brighter than the headlights" look or the "white/yellow" turn signal functionality. And if I do end up with White... then switching out to the clear turn signal lenses with switchback LED's is likely also. (I tried to link to some, but the URL gets squashed by the forum software... apparently they have to be supporting vendors).

Other than those specific items, I'm sure I would consider the F6B a perfect bike. Especially if it already has Cruise Control. I want Cruise more to keep my speeds under control than I am worried about hand fatigue or anything like that. Most of my street bikes have had some form of throttle lock, but I've never experienced a true electronic cruise control on a bike. I love the torque and thrust that the 1800cc Flat Six puts out, but I'm afraid it will constantly creep up on me over distance, and I've kept my driving record clean since giving up my 1978 Black TransAm back in my teen years. :icon_biggrin:

Just thinkin' out loud.

Jim

[Holy Smokes... just got off the scale this morning... 215.8... less than a pound to go!!! Wooohoooooo!!!]

opas ride
12-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Alright guys... thank you so much for your input and opinions. At the moment, I'm leaning heavily toward the F6B again. White, of course... which pretty much forces me to the 2016. PilotGuy, your pictures are awesome... I just love that White/Black look. White over Black has been a trademark look for me most of my life and with several vehicles. Even my current ride is an ex-Pasadena Police bike.

The stock rear rack is pitiful. Plus I already bought a TourMaster Tail Bag (http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/nylon_cruiser_iii_tour_trunk_rack_bag/287/515), where my Tent (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/backpacking-tents/elixir-3/product) and several other items will reside, so I'll need a larger rack to handle this bag. The bike I rented had this rack on it. I like the design and looks of it over the other tubular type racks available.

Saddlebag Liners (http://tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/select_saddlebag_liners/293/517)
Already bought these too. Have one of them packed with goodies already (Tool Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWKOY2K), Tire Kit (http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-puncture-pilot-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs/), Stove (http://www.campchef.com/camp-chef-mountain-series-stryker-stove.html), Propane, Tarp, First Aid Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FN9ZCBY), Hammock, and other necessities). The other will be for clothing and the likes. I want to be able to pull into a hotel/motel and just grab the one bag and go.

Although I don't really care for the bracketry hanging off it... it does work very well. This was also on the bike I spent a day on. Very effective. I may look at, and try, others that are more sleek and look better... I just don't want to go through 5 or 6 windshields just to settle on one.

Lighting
Filling in the factory lighting location seems a requirement for me. Something in LED's would be my preference. I also like the idea of the Badge accent lights, but don't know if I like the "brighter than the headlights" look or the "white/yellow" turn signal functionality. And if I do end up with White... then switching out to the clear turn signal lenses with switchback LED's is likely also. (I tried to link to some, but the URL gets squashed by the forum software... apparently they have to be supporting vendors).

Other than those specific items, I'm sure I would consider the F6B a perfect bike. Especially if it already has Cruise Control. I want Cruise more to keep my speeds under control than I am worried about hand fatigue or anything like that. Most of my street bikes have had some form of throttle lock, but I've never experienced a true electronic cruise control on a bike. I love the torque and thrust that the 1800cc Flat Six puts out, but I'm afraid it will constantly creep up on me over distance, and I've kept my driving record clean since giving up my 1978 Black TransAm back in my teen years. :icon_biggrin:

Just thinkin' out loud.

Jim

[Holy Smokes... just got off the scale this morning... 215.8... less than a pound to go!!! Wooohoooooo!!!]
Good luck with your decision my friend and hope it works out for you..but, be very careful about thinking there is such a thing as the "perfect bike" because I doubt you will be totally happy with that mind-set....I love my F6B and have no plans to sell it at this point, but after several bikes over the years, I am still looking for that "perfect bike"....Regards and ride safe

Old Ryder
12-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Good luck with your decision my friend and hope it works out for you..but, be very careful about thinking there is such a thing as the "perfect bike" because I doubt you will be totally happy with that mind-set....I love my F6B and have no plans to sell it at this point, but after several bikes over the years, I am still looking for that "perfect bike"....Regards and ride safe

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!! And my wife will tell you that it is a very expensive search! The B is my 12th bike in 16 years (to be truthful some of the bikes were tempory "flips" to make a few bucks) and another trade is on the way, but I am not leaving the Goldwing family. All bikes have there strong and weak points and for some of us--as my wife says--"You just can't be happy with a single bike, can you?" It is a sickness. I have buddies that ride the same bike for a decade and are happy as can be. And then you have guys like us.................:icon_doh:

JMartin
12-02-2016, 02:07 PM
... as my wife says--"You just can't be happy with a single bike, can you?" :icon_doh:

And yet we are expected to be happy with a single wife, huh?
Double standard.

(Just kidding hun... :icon_biggrin: )

JMartin
12-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Thank you.

Perhaps "perfect" might have been a little overstated. To me, perfect means that it meets my needs, satisfies my desires, and suppresses my yearnings.

Much like my wife. She's perfect too. :icon_wink:

opas ride
12-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Thank you.

Perhaps "perfect" might have been a little overstated. To me, perfect means that it meets my needs, satisfies my desires, and suppresses my yearnings.

Well said my friend..That is exactly how I feel about my 2013 F6B with Cobra pipes, Mustang seat, Baggershield windscreen, custom paint (Brandywine Candy Red) and extra chrome goodies....A keeper for me for a long while....Regards and ride safe.....Been married to my wife for almost 52 years and would not trade her for anything!!!

Milkmaster
12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I had some of the same choices mentioned in the original thread. After owning many bikes and adding doo dads that would make them have features much like the wing, I too was faced the choice of full wing or F6B. Money was a contributing factor as well. I first fell in love with the F6B, but I ended up choosing a new 2015 FGoldwing over the 2016 F6B just this past October. The pricing discounts offered for the still new 40th anniversary 2015 GW were hard to pass up. One other thing contributed a great deal for me. I am a shiny paint, shiny wheels, and a bit of chrome type of bike guy. I don't much care for the blacked out look so popular these days. The end differences amounted to $362 after I would have spent the money to buy a taller windshield for the F6B. $362 bucks got me all the extras that were offered on the full wing including my now well appreciated rear trunk. The only thing I have added to the 2015 GW was a set of Baker Wings for cold weather riding. OH!... and a cup holder :) DO what makes you happy when you go down the road. Most likely this will be my last bike for years to come, and it is a bike I admire when I see it parked and waiting. I just got tired of trying to make every other bike I owned into a GW. Good Luck!

JMartin
12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
... I just got tired of trying to make every other bike I owned into a GW. Good Luck!

This is where I don't want to find myself in a couple years. I'm already thinking this will be my final bike... and I really don't want to be ditching a two or three year old F6B and taking the depreciation hit I'm seeing others take right now... and then finding myself shopping for a full wing. I don't particularly need the latest model... design wise... to be happy. So I'm not going to hold out for the next generation Gold Wing (since nothing changed for 2017).

Now it does leave me wondering when is the best time to deal. The current Honda incentives expire on December 31st... does that mean that the end of December is the best time to buy? I know that dealers often want to close their year with last minute sales to get their numbers up (I got a couple great deals on new cars this way). Or does that mean that larger incentives may happen after the first of the year? Especially on what is now last years bike.

I'm not in any hurry, and the weather for riding is only getting colder now, so this should be a great time to deal.
We'll see.

opas ride
12-02-2016, 06:18 PM
This is where I don't want to find myself in a couple years. I'm already thinking this will be my final bike... and I really don't want to be ditching a two or three year old F6B and taking the depreciation hit I'm seeing others take right now... and then finding myself shopping for a full wing. I don't particularly need the latest model... design wise... to be happy. So I'm not going to hold out for the next generation Gold Wing (since nothing changed for 2017).

Now it does leave me wondering when is the best time to deal. The current Honda incentives expire on December 31st... does that mean that the end of December is the best time to buy? I know that dealers often want to close their year with last minute sales to get their numbers up (I got a couple great deals on new cars this way). Or does that mean that larger incentives may happen after the first of the year? Especially on what is now last years bike.

I'm not in any hurry, and the weather for riding is only getting colder now, so this should be a great time to deal.
We'll see.
If you don't have a trade and can arrange financing or have the cash ready this time of year, if you live in winter climates, is a great time to buy a bike..Most dealers don't want inventory just sitting over the winter on the sales floor and are generally willing to accept any decent deal....If you buy a 2017 Goldwing now, just don't get at yourself if Honda offers a new generation model that is rumored to be coming as an 2018 model sometime early next year......Good luck

JMartin
12-02-2016, 06:39 PM
If you don't have a trade and can arrange financing or have the cash ready this time of year, if you live in winter climates, is a great time to buy a bike..Most dealers don't want inventory just sitting over the winter on the sales floor and are generally willing to accept any decent deal....If you buy a 2017 Goldwing now, just don't get at yourself if Honda offers a new generation model that is rumored to be coming as an 2018 model sometime early next year......Good luck

I can be an all cash deal, or I can do some financing... I'm in a good position. I don't mind carrying a little on finance if it makes the deal go more in my favor. Sometimes they will drop the price even more if they know they're going to make some money over time on the financing as well. You don't always get the best deal just because you can pay full cash. Besides, under the current personal situation that I'm in, I might want to keep some of that cash on hand in case I need it for other expenses. But if I go that route, I'll put enough skin into the game that I can negotiate the best finance rate on the balance... hopefully.

I'll part with my current 2003 ST1100P once I get the new bike, but I'm sure I'll do better on the open market next spring... and that can wait. I doubt seriously that they would give me much for it on trade. It's just another option.

It would take some pretty incredible features on a 2018 (or whenever this imaginary next-gen Wing gets released), to make me wait, or cause me to have remorse.

I think. (Says he, who only caught this fever back in September :icon_rolleyes: ).

DTOM
12-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Lighting

Just thinkin' out loud.

Jim

Sounds like you should go with the white/black...I love the look too. I was looking at that color at one of the dealerships here, but they weren't interested in competing with the deals I found online. Silver/black it was!

JMartin
12-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Sounds like you should go with the white/black...I love the look too. I was looking at that color at one of the dealerships here, but they weren't interested in competing with the deals I found online. Silver/black it was!

Alright, you're going to make me break out the mock up (my daughter - the fashion plate - was teasing me about this picture I made it several weeks ago).

I already wear the Nolan N104 helmet (I LOVE this helmet... most comfortable I've ever owned).
I also have the Cortech VRX Air Jacket (chose the White/Black/Red because I was riding my Red PC800 at the time of purchase).
and I have the Cortech HDX3 Gloves (comfortable... for summer gloves anyway).

So I took some Manufacturers Images from their websites, in many different color options and overlaid them above the White F6B in approximate scale.
I believe I finally decided on this:

I'm almost always in Black Denim Jeans and have some nice black Speed and Strength Boots to finish the ensemble' (so to speak).

I decided I'd have a simple Red Reflective Stripe added to each rim, just to tie things together. (Sloppy image edit job, but again... it was just a mock up).

Does it give me that Super-Hero look? .batman-smilie.

Jim

[I'm putting waaaaay to much thought into this :icon_wink: ]

jm21ddd15
12-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Test ride the two bikes. However, all the dealers around here, Wi, have already moved the cycles to their warehouse, and the showrooms are full of snowmobiles and ATVs. You may have to take a southern vacation to get test rides, as you are from Mi. So, what's more fun than a vacation to test ride cycles! My thoughts are, if you truly ride solo, 95% of the time, the 6 will do perfect!

JMartin
12-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Test ride the two bikes. However, all the dealers around here, Wi, have already moved the cycles to their warehouse, and the showrooms are full of snowmobiles and ATVs. You may have to take a southern vacation to get test rides, as you are from Mi. So, what's more fun than a vacation to test ride cycles! My thoughts are, if you truly ride solo, 95% of the time, the 6 will do perfect!

Well... actually, I'm here in California... about 40 miles south of the "Bay Area." I have never seen a snow-mobile in any dealership in the bay area. ATV's, yes, but snow-mobiles.... uh, no. You've got to head to altitude (Tahoe, Reno, Mammoth, Etc...) to find snow-mobiles in this state.

As for the test ride, I did get a chance back in September to spend the day on a 2013 F6B and had an absolute blast. My review and thread about the trip is here (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9671-I-wanted-to-share-my-F6B-Rental-Experience) if anyone is interested. It was this trip that gave me the fever and made me decide to lose 40 pounds before jumping in and buying one. It was also this self inflicted "delay of instant gratification" time that has caused my eyes (and mind) to wander toward the possibility of a Full Wing. My friends here on the forum (such as yourself) are helping me get my head back on straight. :icon_biggrin:

Jim

pilotguy299
12-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Alright, you're going to make me break out the mock up (my daughter - the fashion plate - was teasing me about this picture I made it several weeks ago).

I already wear the Nolan N104 helmet (I LOVE this helmet... most comfortable I've ever owned).
I also have the Cortech VRX Air Jacket (chose the White/Black/Red because I was riding my Red PC800 at the time of purchase).

So I took some Manufacturers Images from their websites, in many different color options and overlaid them above the White F6B in approximate scale.

I'm almost always in Black Denim Jeans and have some nice black Speed and Strength Boots to finish the ensemble' (so to speak).

I decided I'd have a simple Red Reflective Stripe added to each rim, just to tie things together. (Sloppy image edit job, but again... it was just a mock up).

Does it give me that Super-Hero look? .batman-smilie.

Jim

Dude, you are freakishly tall and gots no legs! lol

JMartin
12-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Dude, you are freakishly tall and gots no legs! lol

hmmmm.... I'm standing on the Left foot peg... and wearing white pants?
Yeah, that's it. :yes:

DTOM
12-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Does it give me that Super-Hero look? .

Lol...yeah probably too much thought. These bikes (or any bikes for that matter) are fun to look at, but I don't think I've ever thought about the color of my bike while I'm riding. No matter what color you decide on...you will love it mostly because of how awesome the ride is. Go get her!

motozeke
12-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Congrats on the weight loss, Jim! I'm betting the way you feel now is better than any motorcycle upgrade you can imagine. You can't buy physical fitness, you have to earn it!

JMartin
12-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Congrats on the weight loss, Jim! I'm betting the way you feel now is better than any motorcycle upgrade you can imagine. You can't buy physical fitness, you have to earn it!

[Edit: Kevin! Didn't realize it was you.]

How right you are. The first 30 pounds were pretty easy really... portion control is the key for me.
The next 5 took some work... had to kick in the exercise... but these last 5 pounds... ugh.

I do feel much better. Many of my old clothes fit again. My XXL motorcycle jacket is now too big. All good things.
I've tossed out my 40" waist pants and vowed to never go there again.
38's fit fine, and I'll push till I'm back into 36's before I stop... even if I reach my 215 goal.

Thanx for the support. :icon_biggrin:

Jim

ADV67
12-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Congrats on your weight loss Jim!!! :yes:
Keep them off during X-mas time!

Regarding the F6B or full Wing: I rode both before my purchase of the B.
With 6.3" and 34 inseam I sat much better on the B, the position was less cramped. The seat of the Wing fixes your position and doesnt allow you to slide backwards and stretch some more. My knees were more bent on the Wing and the handlebar seemed too close.
Besides that i preferred the look of the B without the trunk. My wife is very happy and comfortable riding on the back of the B.
Then 2 month ago I made it even better by having the seat customized at my local upholstery, 2" higher up and 2" more backwards. i also added highway pegs to relax my legs from time to time.
Now add some adjustable Helibars and there you have perfect Batmobile. "batsmiley"

JMartin
12-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Congrats on your weight loss Jim!!! :yes:
Keep them off during X-mas time!

Regarding the F6B or full Wing: I rode both before my purchase of the B.
With 6.3" and 34 inseam I sat much better on the B, the position was less cramped. The seat of the Wing fixes your position and doesnt allow you to slide backwards and stretch some more. My knees were more bent on the Wing and the handlebar seemed too close.
Besides that i preferred the look of the B without the trunk. My wife is very happy and comfortable riding on the back of the B.
Then 2 month ago I made it even better by having the seat customized at my local upholstery, 2" higher up and 2" more backwards. i also added highway pegs to relax my legs from time to time.
Now add some adjustable Helibars and there you have perfect Batmobile. "batsmiley"

Thank you very much.

I've pretty much consigned myself to purchase the F6B, and I'm pretty well decided I will pick up a very slightly used one. I'm looking at two different 2013's that have tons of aftermarket stuff, have less than 5,000 miles on them, and are priced at $11,000 or best offer. I may have to travel a bit to retrieve them, but hey... that's part of the adventure. I'll get by without factory cruise for now, and at the substantial savings that are available, I could paint any one of them White and still come out ahead. If there were any major differences between the last few years model (there are none to speak of), then I could more easily justify the new bike. But if I buy used, and Honda comes out with something major in the next upgrade... I could part with the used bike and move up without having to take a big depreciation hit.

At least that's my current thinking going into Winter... where the prices should drop a little more as well.

motozeke
12-05-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm looking at two different 2013's that have tons of aftermarket stuff, have less than 5,000 miles on them, and are priced at $11,000 or best offer.

SMH. That's incredible value for this bike. Some previous owner's massive loss is going to be your gain! Sad to see the decline in popularity of this bike, but since I'm not planning on selling I suppose it doesn't really impact me. Especially since so many parts are compatible with the standard Wing.

JMartin
12-05-2016, 10:57 PM
SMH. That's incredible value for this bike. Some previous owner's massive loss is going to be your gain! Sad to see the decline in popularity of this bike, but since I'm not planning on selling I suppose it doesn't really impact me. Especially since so many parts are compatible with the standard Wing.
Yeah, there is one on eBay and one on CycleTrader... both are a great deal, and both have several aftermarket upgrades. Once again, I just wish I was closer to these bikes. I spent $650 to have my PC800 shipped here from Texas. It was at a dealership which made everything easier. Both of these bikes are private parties. Dealerships are hardly likely to take your money and run. But I'm not sure I have the same faith in a private party deal.

Anyone out there near Chanute, Kansas?

[Edit: Just got off the phone with the Kansas seller... nice guy. Says he wants an amount equal to what I was going to offer, so that part fits. Shipping (using a shipper I am familiar with) is just under $700 to California. He says that if it doesn't sell soon, he'll just put it away and relist in the spring for a better price...
All this makes sense. Man...this would make a great Christmas present to myself. :icon_biggrin: ]

DTOM
12-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Yeah, there is one on eBay and one on CycleTrader... both are a great deal, and both have several aftermarket upgrades. Once again, I just wish I was closer to these bikes. I spent $650 to have my PC800 shipped here from Texas. It was at a dealership which made everything easier. Both of these bikes are private parties. Dealerships are hardly likely to take your money and run. But I'm not sure I have the same faith in a private party deal.

Anyone out there near Chanute, Kansas?

[Edit: Just got off the phone with the Kansas seller... nice guy. Says he wants an amount equal to what I was going to offer, so that part fits. Shipping (using a shipper I am familiar with) is just under $700 to California. He says that if it doesn't sell soon, he'll just put it away and relist in the spring for a better price...
All this makes sense. Man...this would make a great Christmas present to myself. :icon_biggrin: ]

I used Haul Bikes in September to ship from SC to UT. They were professional and their drivers are motorcycle riders themselves, so know how to treat one. Everything went perfect. Even received my bike 2 days earlier than I expected. They were offering a deal at the time of $450 anywhere to anywhere with $15K in insurance ($500 deductible). I paid an extra $50 to make that deductible $0. Not sure if they are still offering the deal, but worth a look. https://haulbikes.com/

Good luck!

JMartin
12-06-2016, 11:28 AM
I used Haul Bikes in September to ship from SC to UT. They were professional and their drivers are motorcycle riders themselves, so know how to treat one. Everything went perfect. Even received my bike 2 days earlier than I expected. They were offering a deal at the time of $450 anywhere to anywhere with $15K in insurance ($500 deductible). I paid an extra $50 to make that deductible $0. Not sure if they are still offering the deal, but worth a look. https://haulbikes.com/

Good luck!

THAT... my friend, is excellent info. They are currently offering $600, but that's still better than the $691 that Federal is quoting (though I've used them before and they are also good). I'll follow up with this today.

Thanx for the lead.

Jim

Dave Ritsema
12-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Good Luck on your pending purchase and congrats on your weight loss!
I have owned both an F6B and a full Wing and in my case the full Wing won out. The only reason being that my wife could never get comfortable on the back and riding is something we do together about 75% of the time. If I was riding solo most of the time I would have kept the F6B. I had to spend alot of money in seating, floorboard relocation and bar pull backs to get as comfortable on the Wing as I was on my F6B. If Des at Ultimate seats had not been able to push me back from the bars a few inches I would never been able to match the comfort from the F6B right out of the crate.

The Wing has a few luxuries that I enjoy but with the exception of cruise control I could live without them. Once I have had a bike with cruise, there is no going back. I would also look for a one or two year old F6B that is still under warranty and the original seller has taken the major hit on resale price. You also tend to get most of the add-ons for free. Personally, I would go with a 15 or newer to get the cruise and I would only purchase a deluxe.

I wish you many happy miles and smiles!

Dave

JMartin
12-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Committed to the bike in Kansas:

2013 Honda F6B Deluxe, Red.
2770 miles.
Three windshields:

Stock - clear,

Slipstreamer Tall Touring - clear with vent,

Bagger 11/19 smoked/clear,

12 volt acc. plugin.
Throttle Master cruise control bar ends.
Honda luggage rack.
Rush chrome exhaust Big Louie 4 inch - 2.5 baffle. (Stock Exhaust included - but I love the tips on the Rush - they match the Bar Ends - we'll see)
Bilt motorcycle cover.

Working out details and shipping now, but I should have the bike here in California around Christmas.

Phew! This took a while, lost my 40 pounds and still going.
Compromised a bit on the White 2016 of my dreams, but this move makes more sense to me right now.
And... If Honda blows us all away with a next-gen Gold Wing in 2018... I could still make a switch and not take a huge hit financially.

So far, I'm feeling really good about all of it. :icon_biggrin:

Bryster
12-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Congrats! And the bonus is, it'll be zippier with a better power to weight ratio! :icon_wink:

motozeke
12-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Congrats, Jim! And remember, pics or it didn't happen... :yes:

JMartin
12-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Congrats, Jim! And remember, pics or it didn't happen... :yes:

It's not a completely done deal yet, and I don't want to jinx it, but:

Not White, but 2770 miles? That's awesome.

I may not care for the exhaust sound (I prefer silent, but we'll see).
Still, I love these tips... they match the Throttle Master machined bar ends.

Three windshields to chose from... again, we'll see.

Not the electronic Cruise Control I wanted... but it's the next best thing in my book.

Now I just need to do a few things to make it "mine."
I have to add the over-sized rack that you have Kevin. I like that one best, and I already have a large tail bag.
Also may install a larger passenger backrest in case my daughter rides pillion.
Will eventually add some LED Driving Lights, and possibly clear lenses and switchback LED's for the front turn signals (I like the "daytime running light" idea).

Thanx for everyone's input and advice... I think I've done the right thing.

Jim

Jerryo
12-08-2016, 01:25 PM
I just purchased an 2016 F6B deluxe couple months ago.
I had a 2007 Honda VTX 1800, then went to a 2012 HD Street Glide,, then to a 2014 HD Limited (wife said she would feel more secure) after 2 years and NO trips by wife
went back to a new left over 2014 Valkyrie.. After riding HD for a couple years I was amazed at the difference in ride quality,power,handling,smoothness of the Flat 6 in the Honda
my only dislike of the Valkyrie was absolutely no storage,, this is why I decided on the F6B and I am extremely happy now,, get the best of both worlds..
after having a bagger and a full touring machines ... unless you ride 2 up majority of the time I would strongly recommend the F6B by a landslide.
Thanks for listening sorry I have been so long winded,,i just cant say enough about this bike.

JMartin
12-08-2016, 01:32 PM
... I would strongly recommend the F6B by a landslide.

Anyone who includes that recommendation in their second post here... is OK in my book. :yes:

tiltingf6b
12-08-2016, 03:37 PM
'gw-smiley''gw-smiley''gw-smiley''gw-smiley'
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!! And my wife will tell you that it is a very expensive search! The B is my 12th bike in 16 years (to be truthful some of the bikes were tempory "flips" to make a few bucks) and another trade is on the way, but I am not leaving the Goldwing family. All bikes have there strong and weak points and for some of us--as my wife says--"You just can't be happy with a single bike, can you?" It is a sickness. I have buddies that ride the same bike for a decade and are happy as can be. And then you have guys like us.................:icon_doh:

JMartin
12-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Just have to wait for the bike to be brought to California.
If it wasn't December, I would have flown out and rode back home... but I didn't want my first experience to be a miserable one.

Making a spot in the showroom for it... probably right in the middle where the old PC800 used to be:

Can't wait!

Ordered a full shop manual off eBay, and have a few farkles on my Christmas list now. :icon_biggrin:

JMartin
12-16-2016, 08:15 PM
They are supposed to load up my bike in Kansas next Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and then it's two weeks en-route to California.

In the mean-time, I picked up this today... complete with Goldwing Hitch and Wiring Harness.
Spotted it on Craigslist about 90 miles away, and couldn't pass it up!

24944 24945 24946

I can't wait to "not even know it's back there" (so everyone says). :icon_biggrin:

pilotguy299
12-17-2016, 06:59 AM
They are supposed to load up my bike in Kansas next Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and then it's two weeks en-route to California.

In the mean-time, I picked up this today... complete with Goldwing Hitch and Wiring Harness.

24944 24945 24946

I can't wait to "not even know it's back there" (so everyone says). :icon_biggrin:

great find !

tiltingf6b
12-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Just have to wait for the bike to be brought to California.
If it wasn't December, I would have flown out and rode back home... but I didn't want my first experience to be a miserable one.

Making a spot in the showroom for it... probably right in the middle where the old PC800 used to be:

Can't wait!

Ordered a full shop manual off eBay, and have a few farkles on my Christmas list now. :icon_biggrin:

And I thought My garage was clean :icon_frown:

tiltingf6b
12-17-2016, 07:47 AM

24944 24945 24946

Does that trailer thingy? have a name? looks like I could modify it to run a stock M-60 machine gun for tailgaters. Or a mean ass pitbull.:yikes:

willtill
12-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Does that trailer thingy? have a name? looks like I could modify it to run a stock M-60 machine gun for tailgaters. Or a mean ass pitbull.:yikes:

Trunk monkey. :icon_lol:

JMartin
12-17-2016, 09:52 AM

Actually, it's made by Uni-Go, and it's the Touring Model (they have three). Made in New Zealand and sold by a U.S. Distributor in Florida (http://www.unigotrailers.com/).

See interesting video below. (You'll have to get past the poor resolution and obnoxious soundtrack):

Interesting, albeit poor quality video, here. (https://youtu.be/6CyqMsz3btE)

JMartin
12-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Here is another older demo video. There's not a lot out there on them.
He has an unusual removable hitch, but it shows the process from start to ride.
(Sorry, I guess obnoxious soundtracks are an Aussie thing.)

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8nMGTatAfk)

[I suppose it's okay that I'm hijacking my own thread :shhh: ]

D-Train
12-17-2016, 12:00 PM

That really "is" the coolest color! GORGEOUS bike man! Daayyuuuummm !

D-Train
12-17-2016, 12:46 PM

You and I are 2 peas in a pod bro! I've also had 12 bikes in the past 18 years: http://dwelch.cocc-cis.com/hobbysite.html. (Need to add pics of the new F6B)
Though I can't say I've bought any of them with the intention of flipping them, I'm just fickle.:icon_redface:
As I founded cruisercustomizing.com I'm obviously a cruiser guy, and love to spend money customizing my bikes to my liking (see my current other bike, the M109R at above link) as proof. :headbang:

So I think keeping both of these bikes may be my solution. The M109R as my around town uber cool "bar hopper" type of bike, and the F6B as my road trip bike. At least that what I'm thinking at this stage, I just got my F6B yesterday and likely won't be riding it for a few months. Maybe I should have bought a snowmobile. ;snowshoveling;

I also am ex-Navy, also did 6 years (83-89) and got out as an E5 like Redlinez, I was an STG2 (sonar tech) and am unsure what an IC is? :shrug:

Anyway, just had to say hello to a kindred spirit. Sorry for hijacking your thread Jim. :beer3:

D-Train
12-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Thank you.

And they are both fun to ride too, right? :banana:

D-Train
12-17-2016, 01:30 PM

24944 24945 24946

Now you just need to paint it red to match your new bike! :biker:

JMartin
12-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Now you just need to paint it red to match your new bike! :biker:

Ah... yes... but... I've decided that if I'm not happy with the Red 2013 Paint (there have been reported issues - lack of clearcoat), then the whole bike becomes the WHITE that I originally wanted. :cheers: At which point I'll revisit the Black trailer issue.

JMartin
12-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Bike is on the truck and headed West from Kansas!!! Wooohooo.
(Still doubt I'll see it till the new year though).

D-Train
12-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Ah... yes... but... I've decided that if I'm not happy with the Red 2013 Paint (there have been reported issues - lack of clearcoat), then the whole bike becomes the WHITE that I originally wanted. :cheers: At which point I'll revisit the Black trailer issue.

If you do decide to repainted it please let me know how much work it is taking all of the painted parts off of the bike. I'm thinking about repainting mine too, but I want mine to be blue! Im a bit intimidated thinking about taking the fairing apart as there are a million things attached to it! The rest of the painted parts should be fairly easy to R&R. 'gw-smiley'

JMartin
12-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Shipper called today... should be delivering bike tomorrow between Noon and 1:00pm.
Wooohoooo.

Final weight loss before bikes arrival: 46 pounds!
I have my XXXL motorcycle jacket on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/112249589127), and my XL jacket on its hanger!

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

AND... I've got a four day weekend!

D-Train
12-30-2016, 01:12 AM
Shipper called today... should be delivering bike tomorrow between Noon and 1:00pm.
Wooohoooo.

Final weight loss before bikes arrival: 46 pounds!
I have my XXXL motorcycle jacket on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/112249589127), and my XL jacket on its hanger!

Very cool, I bet you won't get much sleep tonight! Post pics when you get it! :congrats: :8:

We've got tons of snow here, so I don't care how long my weekend is. 'cold' :rant:

JMartin
12-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Shipper called this morning to tell me that delivery would be postponed... Truck blew a radiator hose near San Louis Obispo. Ugh.
It was only about a 2-1/2 hour delay though.

First two pictures on the ground:

25068 25069

Got it home and spent the first two hours carefully peeling off Pin-striping:

25070 25071

Now I'm waiting for parts so I can hook these two together:

Happy, happy, happy!

(just wish it wasn't so cold out)

JMartin
12-30-2016, 09:44 PM
I have to say however... those Rush Pipes have got to go.
Way to loud for my taste. Good thing I have the stock pipes too.
I'll probably switch them out while I have it on the lift to install the Vertical Hitch.

D-Train
12-31-2016, 01:57 AM
I have to say however... those Rush Pipes have got to go.
Way to loud for my taste. Good thing I have the stock pipes too.
I'll probably switch them out while I have it on the lift to install the Vertical Hitch.

Sweet looking ride Jim! Congrats! I envy you though because you can actually ride yours, I've gotta wait a few months. Heck it's even too cold to go out and work on it! I'll probably brave the cold and install the Cobra slip-ons though. They should arrive next week. The high temp next week though will generally be well below freezing. I don't care for the looks of the Rush pipes, but I would still like to hear them. I want my exhaust completely blacked out, that's why one reason I went with the Cobra's, plus I think it looks cool having 6 separate pipes! I just hope I like the sound. Keep us informed about your new baby. I for one am excited for you and wish I still lived in Fremont. I'd ride over and go for a spin with you. :congrats:

JMartin
12-31-2016, 09:41 AM
Sweet looking ride Jim! Congrats! I envy you though because you can actually ride yours, I've gotta wait a few months. Heck it's even too cold to go out and work on it! I'll probably brave the cold and install the Cobra slip-ons though. They should arrive next week. The high temp next week though will generally be well below freezing. I don't care for the looks of the Rush pipes, but I would still like to hear them. I want my exhaust completely blacked out, that's why one reason I went with the Cobra's, plus I think it looks cool having 6 separate pipes! I just hope I like the sound. Keep us informed about your new baby. I for one am excited for you and wish I still lived in Fremont. I'd ride over and go for a spin with you. :congrats:

Thanx. I've got in-laws in Grants Pass, and they are a bit cold right now too.

I'm going to leave the Rush Pipes on for a while and see if they grow on me... or continue to annoy me. I thought maybe I would have the factory exhaust powder coated black while I was waiting... as I too, like the monochromatic black look better (especially since all the red on this bike may end up white some day).

So far, I've only ridden it home from my work (where I had it delivered). But I need to run to Santa Cruz sometime today, and I think I'l suit-up later and brave the 53 degrees. :icon_cool:

D-Train
12-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanx. I've got in-laws in Grants Pass, and they are a bit cold right now too.

I'm going to leave the Rush Pipes on for a while and see if they grow on me... or continue to annoy me. I thought maybe I would have the factory exhaust powder coated black while I was waiting... as I too, like the monochromatic black look better (especially since all the red on this bike may end up white some day).

So far, I've only ridden it home from my work (where I had it delivered). But I need to run to Santa Cruz sometime today, and I think I'l suit-up later and brave the 53 degrees. :icon_cool:

Boy you sure know how to hurt a guy! :bendover: :021: :icon_lol:

Both of my brothers have lived in Santa Cruz for over 30 years! One of them produced the Santa Cruz Blues Festival for 22 years and he owns Moes Alley, a bar/music club. :woohoo:

JMartin
12-31-2016, 04:06 PM
...Both of my brothers have lived in Santa Cruz for over 30 years! One of them produced the Santa Cruz Blues Festival for 22 years and he owns Moes Alley, a bar/music club.

Well... here's to you... AND your brothers!
It was a nice ride, 55 degrees, and I actually caught a teeny bit of Rain as I was headed home through Watsonville.

Jim

D-Train
12-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Well... here's to you... AND your brothers!
It was a nice ride, 55 degrees, and I actually caught a teeny bit of Rain as I was headed home through Watsonville.

Jim

Very nice photo! The boardwalk brings back memories from when I also lived in SC! So that was Hwy 52 or 152 on the way back home, right? I've ridden that road a lot on my way to Los Banos to catch the 5 south. Mom lives in Hemet.

JMartin
12-31-2016, 05:12 PM
Very nice photo! The boardwalk brings back memories from when I also lived in SC! So that was Hwy 52 or 152 on the way back home, right? I've ridden that road a lot on my way to Los Banos to catch the 5 south. Mom lives in Hemet.Hwy 152 goes from Watsonville over through Gilroy and on to Hwy 5 then Los Banos. The Watsonville to Gilroy stretch is gorgeous with its huge Redwoods and Pines. But I went further south and took San Juan Road over to 101 and back up to 156 through San Juan Bautista... it's the back way to Hollister, where I live. I caught just a smidgen of rain at Hwy 1 and Hwy 129 and I could see it coming down over Monterey... which is where I wanted to go, but I cut things short. I had to get back to my shop and make the Radio Knob Keys that I learned about in another thread. I had two extra keys made at Ace Hardware this morning on my way out of town.

By the way... it's my thread, and I'll hijack it if I want!

Jim

JMartin
01-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Not a simple process. End result was great, but the tolerances on the hitch assembly were terrible. Had to pry thing 1/2 a bolt width in order to get things to line up. Overall, about a 3 hour job... and for a "bolt on" it should have been easier.

The "Vertical Hitch" is now installed and I found a Uni-Go adapter/receiver bracket that pops right in:

Now to wait for the weather to break and take a ride with the "pod" behind me.
(Still need to take care of the wiring, but there are a few, simple, third-party options for wiring - first I need to look at the stuff that came with the Uni-Go trailer).

Jim

JMartin
01-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Further... although I had both Rush Mufflers off to make the hitch easier to install, I opted to re-install them and give them a little more time to impress me.
I have the stock mufflers sitting on the floor in the shop, but since I've discovered how simple these "slip-on" style mufflers are to put on... I'll give the Rush Pipes a little more time and see if they grow on me.

DocF6B
01-09-2017, 12:39 PM
I bought a new B deluxe last year trading in my full 2000 Wing. I was riding so much, now my wife wants to go on more trips. So, what to do.

Trading in wasn't an option since an even swap would be a 2012 Wing - losing about $6,000 due to its "used" condition- ouch. FYI, the difference between a new B and the bottom line Wing is about $4000-5000. After talking to a bunch of people here's what I'm doing to modify my B.

Corbin heated seat with driver and passenger backrests (approx $1200)
Full passenger floorboards. Honda OEM ($150 ebay - new)
I bought the luggage rack when I get the bike, works fine for a medium-sized bag nixing the need for the 3rd trunk.

With these modifications, my B has the critical upgrades that come with a Wing but still keep the style of the B, which I love.

Hope that helps.

JMartin
01-09-2017, 12:54 PM

I bought the luggage rack when I get the bike, works fine for a medium-sized bag nixing the need for the 3rd trunk.

With these modifications, my B has the critical upgrades that come with a Wing but still keep the style of the B, which I love.
Hope that helps.

When you say, "I bought the luggage rack" are you referring to the factory rack? It's just my opinion, but the factory rack is pathetically small. I went with the one from BikeMP3 and am very happy with it. It's much larger, it's also lighter than the factory rack, it has pins on the bottom for bungees etc... and will support a much larger tail bag.

[Edit: It also does not conflict with the antenna, but a large tail bag might.]

DocF6B
01-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Yes, the factory rip-off rack. It was an impulse buy. I like the larger one you got.

JMartin
01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Yes, the factory rip-off rack. It was an impulse buy. I like the larger one you got.Well, actually, even if you go to a larger rack, you still need the base parts and they are about $100 anyway. Swapping to a larger rack will be easier for you now... should you choose.

JMartin
01-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Installed a License Plate Lock-Box (http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ACII1001.html) to put my trailer wires in (the hitch is behind the rear cover and the Uni-Go adapter is only installed in the first picture). I looked for a clean 4-Pin trailer harness jack but there was nothing that I liked. I can't stand just having the trailer wiring rolled up and hanging down underneath, so I ordered this $20 lockable box that goes behind the license plate. I decided to remove the factory license plate bracket, as installing this on that bracket would look goofy, and would push the actual license plate out about 1 inch and cause the license plate light (above) to illuminate the box and not the plate. So I not only removed the bolt on bracket, but I cut the molded "hump" off so this box would mount flush to the rear cover and the license plate would be exactly where it would hang from the factory bracket. I used some black RTV silicone and sealed the back up so there was no way for water to get through, then secured the box with four bolts and nuts from the inside of the box. Once I get my wiring done (I'm waiting for an adapter from Electrical Connections) I'll just leave a short length of cable and the connector inside the box, so I can unlock it... plug in the trailer... and lock it back down.

RTV to seal things up on the backside...

Final product hinges at the top...

Pretty stealthy huh? :icon_mrgreen:

[Oh yeah... I have a nice black License Plate Frame, but I don't have my California Plates yet.]

Jim