PDA

View Full Version : Matte Silver rattle can match ?

Flem
12-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Wondering if anyone has found a readily available ( at DIY or auto parts store ) rattle can that closely resembles the Matte Silver paint ? I have a small part that I need to paint but doesn't need to a perfect match.

jm21ddd15
12-06-2016, 08:28 AM
So far, I haven't seen any paint match for the Matte silver. I got a few spots that need a touch up, too. Not a big deal, tho, cause it still goes FAST! 'riding'

F6Dave
12-06-2016, 10:48 AM
ColorRite probably carries an exact match, but it is mail order, so not readily available. They have great OEM matching paint, but they're a bit pricey.

Flem
12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
... but they're a bit pricey.

Exactly. Didn't want to shell out $40 for a rattle can. Had a quick look at Home Depot and couldn't find anything close. Will keep looking

willtill
12-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Exactly. Didn't want to shell out $40 for a rattle can. Had a quick look at Home Depot and couldn't find anything close. Will keep looking

Try Pep Boys if you have one in your area.

seadog
12-07-2016, 07:19 PM
But have never seen a touch up spray can there at all, but I am sure there are those out there that could match a color to what you need.

Phantom
12-07-2016, 07:39 PM
My personal logic.....

My time hunting for the non-matching paint and gas is much more valuable than $40

End result would be a MISMATCH that would annoy the heck out of me every time someone else noticed and pointed it out to me because I was too cheap to buy the correct paint :banghead: worse yet, someone else assuming that the bike had been dropped or in a accident.

As F6Dave pointed out ... ColorRite is your best bet. I have purchased from them before with great satisfaction on the match. I had purchased Candy Black Cherry for a couple of Honda Runes. It will never look like the original paint but 95-99% close.

Splurge a little spend your $40 on the matching paint and enjoy your time riding instead of walking through paint stores that will never have automotive specifically Honda Motorcycle touch up paint.

Just my 2 cents :shrug: take a look at the attachment with CORRECT paint codes.

http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

Papa Tater
12-07-2016, 07:55 PM
My personal logic.....

My time hunting for the non-matching paint and gas is much more valuable than $40

End result would be a MISMATCH that would annoy the heck out of me every time someone else noticed and pointed it out to me because I was too cheap to buy the correct paint :banghead: worse yet, someone else assuming that the bike had been dropped or in a accident.

As F6Dave pointed out ... ColorRite is your best bet. I have purchased from them before with great satisfaction on the match. I had purchased Candy Black Cherry for a couple of Honda Runes. It will never look like the original paint but 95-99% close.

Splurge a little spend your $40 on the matching paint and enjoy your time riding instead of walking through paint stores that will never have automotive specifically Honda Motorcycle touch up paint.

Just my 2 cents :shrug: take a look at the attachment with CORRECT paint codes.

http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

+ 1 - I had great results with them also when I added hard saddle bags, chin scoop on a couple Yamahas I had. Not sure how the Matte color will match up, I'm sure it will be tricky no matter what.

lake_carl
12-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Professional paint stores can often take a part that you take to them place in camera then make a spray can match

Phantom
12-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Professional paint stores can often take a part that you take to them place in camera then make a spray can match

NOT for $10, $20, $30 or even $40 .... Sherwin Williams and PPG will charge you much more pending on the complexity of the paint.

The OP is being "Thrifty" by asking for a "DIY or auto parts store", he's looking for a $12 rattle paint can. Home Depot is not a professional automotive paint store.
Im not aware of any professional paint store that will create just 2-4 ounces of paint for a consumer, its just not economically worth while. The last time I purchased touch up paint from Sherwinn Williams Automotive ... It was a minimum of a Pint for alot more than $40

just saying ColorRite is very reasonable.

stroguy
12-08-2016, 07:01 AM
I did the Colorite many years ago for my Charger. White is a hard color to match and they did nail it pretty darn good. Believe it was around $30 for the can and I used every drop. You are going to need a matte clear coat as a final coat. And, sometimes the clear is figured into the final shading so don't skimp it.

Flem
12-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the input. I may very well end up going the Colorrite route but I'll hunt around a little more. All I'm looking to do is paint the chrome knob I'm using for my saddlebag key to make it less conspicuous.

I get the 'time vs money' argument - but I'm in no real rush so not having to invest dedicated time to the search - and 'going to look for paint' is a great excuse to go for a ride.

So far Home Depot & Lowes are a bust. I'll try a couple of local auto parts stores next. If I do find something I post it here.

stroguy
12-11-2016, 09:00 AM
I would recommend a truck bed liner coating for your knob. You will be using that knob so often you will wear that paint of in no time. Plus you should strip the chrome off prior to painting. Paint just doesn't like adhering to chrome. For stripping chrome from plastic just let it soak in Clorox bleach overnight, rinse, repeat until it is stripped. It will like disgusting as the bleach strips it but just rinse and repeat. Don't go cheap either, use the Clorox. Good luck.

mrjava
12-24-2016, 07:42 PM
I have a HD tourpak installed that I had "painted" with Plasti dip grey.
Perfect match for out of the can.

Seeing as it is such a small part, it might be worth a try. If you dont like it, peel off.