PDA

View Full Version : Need to put on a battery tender,, not sure where or how?

svnten
12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
I am not even sure where the battery is to put this on or is there a lead somewhere I did not see.?

2015 F6B

wjduke
12-07-2016, 03:20 PM
I took the left side cover off. The battery is there. Take the bracket off, attach the leads directly to the battery, then fish them to the little opening in that cover. When I plug in, I can usually fish it out if it slips inside. It usually just hangs right there and is out of sight.

edit....the cover under the seat, left side! Be careful pulling it off. I just remembered breaking a tab on that job.

pilotguy299
12-07-2016, 04:33 PM
it helps if you open the left saddle bag before trying to pull the left cover off.

Rickc
12-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I fished the lead out by the rear crash bar and plastic wire tied it in place.

53driver
12-07-2016, 04:51 PM
I fished the lead out by the rear crash bar and plastic wire tied it in place.

+1.

Fastened to the underside of the left rear crash bar.
2 Black zip ties.
Unnoticeable.

svnten
12-07-2016, 11:12 PM
I started taking the side panel off (had the bags open) but could not get it all the way off. I took off the seat to try and get a better grip on it but it's being stubborn along the part we're it connects to the front of the saddlebags. I can reach the battery but would like to get this side piece off without messing it up.?

Big Jay
12-07-2016, 11:24 PM
The owners manual gives pretty good instructions for removing the side panels. probly better than than I could explain it.

53driver
12-07-2016, 11:36 PM
I started taking the side panel off (had the bags open) but could not get it all the way off. I took off the seat to try and get a better grip on it but it's being stubborn along the part we're it connects to the front of the saddlebags. I can reach the battery but would like to get this side piece off without messing it up.?

I thought I was going to break something first few times I did it.
It's just round plugs into grommets.....should pop off but, yes, right around the saddlebag enclosure can get a bit interesting.

Of course, once you get it off, now is a great time to take those ultra small zip ties and put one on each rubber grommet.
Then use vaseline and lube the rubber so the panels pop off and on easier.

Best of luck,
Steve

willtill
12-08-2016, 06:18 AM

There are two prongs that are inserted into grommets, roughly where I indicated with the arrows. Just use a firm grip close to this plastic area and pull it straight off (directly away from the bike). They are some of the most resistant fasteners on the bike.

After you get them off, use Vaseline (as Steve said) or use a spray silicone (like I have) to treat the rubber grommets. You will be amazed at how easy it will be to push the fasteners back on and off thereafter

http://i65.tinypic.com/jhg7px.jpg

This is the silicone spray that I have (and use): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sprayway-946-11-oz.-Colorless-Silicone-Spray/49134886

Jerryo
12-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Just installed one on my 2016 F6B

very easy takes 10 minutes
open RH saddle bag/shifter side, remove body panel with F6B logo,, this exposes battery and terminals
just need to use (pigtails/quick connect lead) supplied with charger and attach to battery terminals, you can use wire ties to hold wires where you need them.
then just replace covers ..took me longer to get covers back on than to install leads.

Hope this helps

Bill_C
01-02-2017, 01:16 PM
I just did this too, pretty quick job. Took Steve's advice and zip tied the pig tail to the crash bar. All went well, except for the fact that I broke one of the tabs on the side cover. I'm trying to Crazy Glue it and avoid the (ridiculous) cost of an OEM replacement cover...