PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

D-Train
12-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of buying a 2013 red F6B with 29,005 miles for $9999. There are no maintenance records available, and while the bike looks to be in excellent shape, I hesitate to be completely trusting that it has been maintained properly. Specifically after reading this forum, I wonder about the air filter. Has it ever been replaced? Should I tell the dealer that my buying the bike hinges upon them replacing it for me (they offered to get me a quote to have it done!) The bike is at a dealership about 200 miles away. They have another location in the city I live in (Bend, Oregon) and will transport the bike here for free.
The bike I'm already almost committed to buying (got the financing approved, etc) can be seen below, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get a brand new Blue 2015 model for only $13,499. That one is 850 miles from here and I can probably arrange to have it shipped here but not for free. I just sent a message to that dealership via cycletrader asking for more info and if they can arrange delivery. I got the paperwork in the mail today for the 2013 bike but haven't signed anything yet. Both are really good deals. Should I consider paying maybe $14,000 (including delivery) for a new 2015 model? Or pay just $10,000 for the 2013 model and hope that it's been maintained properly for the past 3 years? There are no actual photos of the new blue model, just the stock photos from Honda, but it's NEW! And $7000 cheaper than a new 2016 model.
Here's a photo of the 2013 bike. It has a drivers backrest installed.
It also has a bigger windshield and Kuryakyn highway pegs installed.

The blue one, well you guys know what it looks like. I love this color even more than the red, and love the idea of having a new bike.
So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?

AussieF6B
12-08-2016, 05:31 AM
for me it would be the new one

jm21ddd15
12-08-2016, 06:00 AM
.....So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?

Go with the new, as long as you can afford it. Then you won't ever need to wonder about the maintainence done by the previous owner. Plus, you said you like the blue better.

willtill
12-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Yes, I echo the above two posts. Go with the new one as well. It's a no brainer.

tiltingf6b
12-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of buying a 2013 red F6B with 29,005 miles for $9999. There are no maintenance records available, and while the bike looks to be in excellent shape, I hesitate to be completely trusting that it has been maintained properly. Specifically after reading this forum, I wonder about the air filter. Has it ever been replaced? Should I tell the dealer that my buying the bike hinges upon them replacing it for me (they offered to get me a quote to have it done!) The bike is at a dealership about 200 miles away. They have another location in the city I live in (Bend, Oregon) and will transport the bike here for free.
The bike I'm already almost committed to buying (got the financing approved, etc) can be seen below, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get a brand new Blue 2015 model for only $13,499. That one is 850 miles from here and I can probably arrange to have it shipped here but not for free. I just sent a message to that dealership via cycletrader asking for more info and if they can arrange delivery. I got the paperwork in the mail today for the 2013 bike but haven't signed anything yet. Both are really good deals. Should I consider paying maybe $14,000 (including delivery) for a new 2015 model? Or pay just $10,000 for the 2013 model and hope that it's been maintained properly for the past 3 years? There are no actual photos of the new blue model, just the stock photos from Honda, but it's NEW! And $7000 cheaper than a new 2016 model.
Here's a photo of the 2013 bike. It has a drivers backrest installed.
It also has a bigger windshield and Kuryakyn highway pegs installed.

The blue one, well you guys know what it looks like. I love this color even more than the red, and love the idea of having a new bike.
So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?

Well - a lot depends on if it is the DELUXE model or basic and how many $$$ of accessories have been added? I just bought a blue F6B internet purchase at 16k out the door but it was the deluxe model. If I am buying used I like to know the seller and how they treated their machine during break in and upkeep etc... If I don't know the answer to the question I would say "next" because there are a lot of good deals to be had - some on this forum with a lot less miles.. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9995-2013-F6B-For-Sale-in-Indiana

.welcome20.

opas ride
12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
A lot depends on your personal riding habits and mechanical skills...If you are going to keep the bike for a long while, I would go for the newer blue model, assuming it is a deluxe model as it does not have a lot of miles on it...These bikes are very reliable and 29,000 miles is not a lot for this motor..You are correct is asking the dealer, of the red one, to change the air-filter before you make the deal as it is a royal "PITA" to change....With the difference in price and my point of view, I would opt for the blue one as it has cruise control if this is important to you....Either bike would work for you in my opinion.....Ride safe

DTOM
12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Well - a lot depends on if it is the DELUXE model or basic and how many $$$ of accessories have been added? I just bought a blue F6B internet purchase at 16k out the door but it was the deluxe model. If I am buying used I like to know the seller and how they treated their machine during break in and upkeep etc... If I don't know the answer to the question I would say "next" because there are a lot of good deals to be had - some on this forum with a lot less miles.. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9995-2013-F6B-For-Sale-in-Indiana

welcome20.

what he said^^^^^

terryboyle
12-08-2016, 11:20 AM
The new option appeals to me. I bought a new 2014 in June 2016. Full warranty and I have the option to add to it with Honda. I would have liked the cruise but can live without it. It is my understanding that the 2015 has the same pipes as the Valkyrie. They are a little noisier than I care for and so I went with the 2014.

JGF6B
12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Some differences to think about:
The blue one has cruise control, the red one doesn't.
The blue one has a louder exhaust. Not really loud but more of a motorcycle exhaust sound compared to the red one. The 2013 and 2014 bikes sound more like an ST1300, or, if you prefer, a sewing machine.
The red one has an after market windshield and added on highway pegs. There will be extra cost to add these to the blue one.

If it was me, I'd go with the blue one because I wish I had cruise control and I like to buy new. The blue one is a better price than what I paid for my 2013 red deluxe brand new last year.

98valk
12-08-2016, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate. I would go with new, rather than 30k unknown miles. If nothing else, you may find annoying problems like scratches, broken tabs - who knows? :shrug:

Circle-5
12-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Unless you know the seller personally, including how he maintained his bike, buy the brand new F6B if you can afford it. Also, if the seller is NOT a member of this forum, then you know he is a shady character, who cannot be trusted. :icon_biggrin:

D-Train
12-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I REALLY wanted to go with the new one, but after talking with the dealer this morning, and hearing that they want to tack on another $1000 for assembly, $400 for freight, then $500 for delivery, I would be looking at $15,500 OTD, and that's just a bit tougher to swing. They also said they can't handle the financing because I would have to be there personally to sign the papers so they can be witnessed, so I would have to arrange financing locally, which I could do, but some of my friends pointed out to me that I just bought a new car recently, and do I really want to keep piling on even more debt? I'll just got for the 2013 and hope that it's been maintained properly. -sigh-

DTOM
12-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I REALLY wanted to go with the new one, but after talking with the dealer this morning, and hearing that they want to tack on another $1000 for assembly, $400 for freight, then $500 for delivery, I would be looking at $15,500 OTD, and that's just a bit tougher to swing. They also said they can't handle the financing because I would have to be there personally to sign the papers so they can be witnessed, so I would have to arrange financing locally, which I could do, but some of my friends pointed out to me that I just bought a new car recently, and do I really want to keep piling on even more debt? I'll just got for the 2013 and hope that it's been maintained properly. -sigh-

Doesn't sound like you're really that excited to "settle" for the red one. Maybe you are, but that's just the way it sounds. I'd wait...the right bike for you is out there. But good luck either way!

53driver
12-08-2016, 04:57 PM
If you are going to "settle" for the "red one" - have the Dealer do the 20k and 24k mile servicings to it gratis.
That will include everything.

See the gouge card at the end of the first post in this thread:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9094-New-F6B-Owners-Here-s-some-collected-gouge-to-get-you-going-Updated-27-Jul-2016

Best of luck,
Steve

Bigcityd
12-08-2016, 06:22 PM
The price tag says 9,999.00. I've never paid full price for any vehicle.
Get them to do the services for you and get the delivery and get them to give 90-120 days of buyers remorse coverage. That way if the bike is a lemon, it'll show up in that time frame and you can take it back. Good looking bike too.

D-Train
12-08-2016, 10:54 PM
The price tag says 9,999.00. I've never paid full price for any vehicle.
Get them to do the services for you and get the delivery and get them to give 90-120 days of buyers remorse coverage. That way if the bike is a lemon, it'll show up in that time frame and you can take it back. Good looking bike too.

Well I don't know about problems showing up in 90-120 days, as it's snowing here and I wont get to ride it until at least March/April. :icon_frown:

At a minimum I will have them replace the air filter. I'd pay to upgrade it to a K&N (I assume you guys recommend that?) as long as they throw in the labor! I know it sounds like I'm not thrilled to get the used bike but I am. Of course I would rather have the new one, but it just doesn't seem very wise to spend over 50% more for the new one than the used one. I guess I'm just a bit hesitant because I'm buying the bike sight unseen. I've purchased 2 other bikes in the past sight unseen, one new, one used, and everything turned out great, so I need to talk to the dealer more to see what they can do to alleviate my fears. Surely they can sweeten the pot a bit, right? One way or another I'll be getting an F6B soon. Most likely the red one. 29,000 miles is nothing for this engine. I'm just not sure 29,000 fewer miles and a 3 year warranty are worth another $5500.

Stay tuned! Thanks for all of the advice guys! .notworthy.

D-Train
12-08-2016, 11:01 PM
If you are going to "settle" for the "red one" - have the Dealer do the 20k and 24k mile servicings to it gratis.
That will include everything.

See the gouge card at the end of the first post in this thread:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9094-New-F6B-Owners-Here-s-some-collected-gouge-to-get-you-going-Updated-27-Jul-2016

Best of luck,
Steve

Thanks Steve, that was the first thread I read, and I already printed out that card! I've been on motorcycle forums since 1998 (and have been a moderator of a few) so I know to read all the "newbies read this first" threads before asking a million questions. That's where I read about what a PITA replacing the air filter is! :icon_wink:

They said the servicing is current, I'll ask them for something in writing to that effect. Thanks for the advice. 'all/right'

53driver
12-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Well I don't know about problems showing up in 90-120 days, as it's snowing here and I wont get to ride it until at least March/April. :icon_frown:

At a minimum I will have them replace the air filter. I'd pay to upgrade it to a K&N (I assume you guys recommend that?) as long as they throw in the labor! I know it sounds like I'm not thrilled to get the used bike but I am. Of course I would rather have the new one, but it just doesn't seem very wise to spend over 50% more for the new one than the used one. I guess I'm just a bit hesitant because I'm buying the bike sight unseen. I've purchased 2 other bikes in the past sight unseen, one new, one used, and everything turned out great, so I need to talk to the dealer more to see what they can do to alleviate my fears. Surely they can sweeten the pot a bit, right? One way or another I'll be getting an F6B soon. Most likely the red one. 29,000 miles is nothing for this engine. I'm just not sure 29,000 fewer miles and a 3 year warranty are worth another $5500.

Stay tuned! Thanks for all of the advice guys! .notworthy.

I don't recommend this. K&N's need to be serviced more frequently than the paper.
My air filter at ~30k miles looked about like it might sorta need changing.

I wouldn't install a K&N, but there are many who have.

Use the extra $$ and get an inspection camera so you can see when the filter needs changing.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html

Cheers,
Steve

PS - I use K&Ns in ALL my cages - so I am not biased.

D-Train
12-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Tanks Steve,

That's what I was kinda thinking. I have K&N's on my M109R and they need to be regularly cleaned and oiled. That would be a major PITA to do on the F6B.

So what are people paying to have the 20K servicing done? What about the 24K servicing? I emailed the dealership last night telling them my concerns:

A. no warranty
B. unable to provide service records so there's no proof that any servicing has ever been done
C. buying the bike sight unseen

I told them I'm ready to buy the NEW bike instead unless they can allay my fears by performing these maintenance services before delivering the bike. Still waiting for their response. This is a HUGE dealership that has over 600 bikes on their sales floor, millions in inventory. Surely they would be willing to pay one of their mechanics for a few hours labor to perform this maintenance if it means persuading me to buy their bike over another dealers new one, right? Is my request unreasonable? :iduno:

D-Train
12-09-2016, 04:47 PM
The dealer responded that the 24000 mile servicing is $650 and they've offered to split it with me. So $325, I believe this includes replacing the air filter, right? They can do it today but want my OK. I've seen where you guys said this servicing is mostly stuff I could do myself. You guys know this bike better than I do obviously, should I go for it? Thanks!

53driver
12-09-2016, 07:14 PM
The dealer responded that the 24000 mile servicing is $650 and they've offered to split it with me. So $325, I believe this includes replacing the air filter, right? They can do it today but want my OK. I've seen where you guys said this servicing is mostly stuff I could do myself. You guys know this bike better than I do obviously, should I go for it? Thanks!

Two schools of thought:
1. Yes you can do a lot yourself and save some money.
2. You can have the dealer DOCUMENT a service to give you a starting point and THEN if something is wrong, you have grounds to go back and ask them what's the deal?

For $325? I'm having them do it and DOCUMENT that the bike is good to go.
Of course, their ulterior "plan" might be to find something that needs "attention" and bill you for it, in which case you ask them why were they going to sell it to you in a condition that "warranted attention"?

$325, no more, bike is GOOD TO GO!
Cheers,
Steve

D-Train
12-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Many thanks Steve, that's kinda what I figured you would say so they're already on it. I told them to replace the air filter even if they think it doesn't need it. He replied "we might have to oder the filter" so I'm thinking a dealer with 600 bikes on the sales floor, a bunch of which are probably Wings, and they need to maybe order the filter? I say BS. Anyway, I guess I'm committed to buying it now. And yes, I'm still excited, especially now that this important service is being done.