PDA

View Full Version : Test drove an Indian Chieftain

rdeady
12-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I really do love this Honda but I still need to find a shield that gives me what I was originally thinking I was going to have with the supp0ssed biggest best touring bike on earth. I was unhappy with seating positio or foot position ,the seat stinks in my humble opinion and wind protection is not as good as it should be and that's with all the shields I've tryed. I have licked the foot position by installing ergo 3s. The seat which almost angles downward had me constantly trying to slide forward but it's not slippery so it just tugs or pulls on my skin on legs and rear-end. Very uncomfortable. Using a airhawk r in the right positions gives me a slight tilt rearward alleviating that tugging.I still want a new seat. Probably going to go mustang just because it's lower and it's nice looking. The russell day long scoot up probably won't work for all the short rides and lights I stop at. And I've tried a bunch of shields including
Using madstad which did get rid of some of the buffeting but not all and it also whistles!
So I Tryed a new harley and the other day I test road a beautiful indian chieftain. I told the owner/ salesman who I know that there is only one thing that will make me trade in the f6b and that is a beautiful quite pocket of air in the driver's seat. They told me all about the new vents etc etc.and how great it worked. Well it did not. Now that windshield was the stock shield so it was small. On a positive note the bike has huge amounts of torque . Is reasonably smooth (about like the 2017 Harleys which really are much smoother then the 16s and older).The indians are beautiful,very comfortable and sound real good. But there was nothing about that bike that would get me off the f6b though.

53driver
12-08-2016, 05:53 PM
I was reading my HOG magazine yesterday about the new motor, the Milwaukee 8, which is a 107....lol.
(yes, I'm a lifetime HOG member)
In order for it to get to 115hp, it has to have the Stage 1, 2, AND 3 kits installed.

I laughed and went out to pet Isleen.....
Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
12-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Saw the new Motorcycle Consumer News review of the "new 107" motor in a road test of the Road King which is one their lighter bikes in the Touring line...An earlier article in another mag said the new HD's are a full two or three bike lengths quicker from 0-60 than last years model...Wow!! ...what a joke....The thing goes from 0-60 in 5.26 seconds and runs the quarter mile in 14.32 sec @94.56 mph.....Not so bad until you see that a stock F6B does 0-60 in 3.80 seconds and runs the quarter mile in 11.85 sec @104.65 mph...."Whoops".....

ths61
12-08-2016, 09:54 PM
The 107 is one-upping Victory's 106, just like Indian's 111 one-upped HD's 110.

Victory has had 114 and 116 kits out for years now. Past time for them to do something stock.

opas ride
12-08-2016, 10:13 PM
The 107 is one-upping Victory's 106, just like Indian's 111 one-upped HD's 110.

Victory has had 114 and 116 kits out for years now. Past time for them to do something stock.

Kind of seems like a big V-Twin "pissin" contest....You one-up my twin and I will do the same next time...Maybe one of these days the games will end, but that is what successful marketing is all about, or so I'm told....Meanwhile I will stick with my F6B motor which has been around "blowing off these big V-Twins" for 16 years.....Ride safe

wantone
12-09-2016, 12:57 AM
After i totaled my F6B last year I bought Indian chieftain. I had it for 3 weeks and traded it for 16 Street Glide special. I do not know why I bought Chieftain. I have had close to 13 bikes in 3 yrs. By far best has been Street Glide FOR ME. See what I did there ? I highlighted " FOR ME". Why do most riders compare 6 cylinders with 2. I have no Idea. Every motorcycle is different. They all have good and bad. I went thru so many cycles in 3 years just to find the right one and I think I'm very close. I bought my SG in May 16 and by end of AUG I had 11000 miles on it. Travelled 19 states in 3 months. Never had a blast on any other bike.

F6b or some other bike may be the best in the world. But its not for everyone. SG fits me close to perfect and I luv it. It may not be reliable as Honda but I'm ok with that. With Chieftain I felt a need to shift into 2nd gear quickly compared to SG. Also there was clacking noise, it also was difficult to go into 2nd gear until bike warmed up. Chieftain felt like a tractor at lower torque, but at higher speeds was decent. Compared to F6B, SG feels like tractor too but F6b does not fit me well. I just love riding, and try to gather useful info from all the forums I've joined so far.

JGF6B
12-09-2016, 06:23 AM
My madstad does not whistle; you should double check your installation.
Regarding wind: I have a madstad and baker hand wings. I believe most of the wind I feel comes up through the fork holes. If you're trying to eliminate all wind, look into the fork wind blockers.

tiltingf6b
12-09-2016, 07:25 AM
I really do love this Honda but I still need to find a shield that gives me what I was originally thinking I was going to have with the supp0ssed biggest best touring bike on earth. I was unhappy with seating positio or foot position ,the seat stinks in my humble opinion and wind protection is not as good as it should be and that's with all the shields I've tryed. I have licked the foot position by installing ergo 3s. The seat which almost angles downward had me constantly trying to slide forward but it's not slippery so it just tugs or pulls on my skin on legs and rear-end. Very uncomfortable. Using a airhawk r in the right positions gives me a slight tilt rearward alleviating that tugging.I still want a new seat. Probably going to go mustang just because it's lower and it's nice looking. The russell day long scoot up probably won't work for all the short rides and lights I stop at. And I've tried a bunch of shields including
Using madstad which did get rid of some of the buffeting but not all and it also whistles!
So I Tryed a new harley and the other day I test road a beautiful indian chieftain. I told the owner/ salesman who I know that there is only one thing that will make me trade in the f6b and that is a beautiful quite pocket of air in the driver's seat. They told me all about the new vents etc etc.and how great it worked. Well it did not. Now that windshield was the stock shield so it was small. On a positive note the bike has huge amounts of torque . Is reasonably smooth (about like the 2017 Harleys which really are much smoother then the 16s and older).The indians are beautiful,very comfortable and sound real good. But there was nothing about that bike that would get me off the f6b though.

I own an Indian Scout 2015 first run model and I would have upgraded to the 2017 Springfield this year but Polaris and Indian don't have their act together when it comes to customer support. The 111's are known for their clacking noise and no fix on the horizon. Being air cooled they run hot, esp. in the summer. and you can forget the OEM windshields if you want quiet rides. For the life of me I do not know why motorcycle engineers don't spend some money on wind tunnels! The F6B is a dream boat compared to a lot of American bikes; its even boring because it is so reliable. When I tour I want reliable !!! Sure pretty is great if all you want is compliments but for me a motorcycle is about the ride and getting to where I am going.'gw-smiley'

F6Dave
12-09-2016, 10:15 AM
If you want great wind protection try a BMW K1600. I rode one for about 50 miles. As I remember the powered shield moves forward as it moves up. I was able to have perfect wind protection at any speed at the touch of a button. If I wanted a little breeze I could have that too. It has loads of smooth power, too. It's an excellent motorcycle.

Old Ryder
12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
But it is called a "motorcycle". Part of the attraction of riding a bike is the open feeling.

Now I full understand wanting to get that 60-80 MPH wind off of the face and chest. If you have wide bars and no wind protection, it tires me out quickly trying to hold on while being blown off the back of the seat. But I always thought that a little wind was SUPPOSE to be part of the motorcycle experience. I thought that was why they invented cars.

willtill
12-09-2016, 12:55 PM
But it is called a "motorcycle". Part of the attraction of riding a bike is the open feeling.

Now I full understand wanting to get that 60-80 MPH wind off of the face and chest. If you have wide bars and no wind protection, it tires me out quickly trying to hold on while being blown off the back of the seat. But I always thought that a little wind was SUPPOSE to be part of the motorcycle experience. I thought that was why they invented cars.

Define "a little wind"

Old Ryder
12-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Define "a little wind"

More than what you get while riding in a car. The amount of wind is adjustable with the right wrist.

opas ride
12-09-2016, 05:32 PM
I still maintain if you really feel the need for a "totally wind free cockpit", loud stereos, GPS, Bluetooth, Greentooth, Redtooth, etc. etc. buy a damn car and forget what the motorcycle experience is all about....C'mon man, it is a "Motorcycle".....JMHO....Ride safe

willtill
12-09-2016, 06:24 PM
I still maintain if you really feel the need for a "totally wind free cockpit", loud stereos, GPS, Bluetooth, Greentooth, Redtooth, etc. etc. buy a damn car and forget what the motorcycle experience is all about....C'mon man, it is a "Motorcycle".....JMHO....Ride safe

I don't mind the wind. Clean air is fine. I don't like severe buffeting though.

Wing'n it
12-09-2016, 06:54 PM
My madstad does not whistle; you should double check your installation.
Regarding wind: I have a madstad and baker hand wings. I believe most of the wind I feel comes up through the fork holes. If you're trying to eliminate all wind, look into the fork wind blockers.

X2, no whistling from my Madstad but will agree the stock seat sucks, tried 4 different ones before Hartco solved my seat problem.

53driver
12-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Some Madstad's will whistle.

Per the Madstad techs:
It has to do with the cut angle of the leading edge of the variable piece.
If yours does whistle, put some tape along that bottom edge and take it for a ride and see if the whistling stops.

I used black electrical tape on the bottom of my Extra Very Dark and the whistling stopped.
Cheers,
Steve

rdeady
12-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I returned the madstad and decided the next step was a huge shield. Bought a baggershield .The big two piece one for a goldwing. Beautiful piece and seemed to be of high quality. The bottom was like 14" I believe and the worked pretty good .fairly clean air in the face. Put the top on which is huge and I had to look through it. Guess what. Vacuume was insane ,buffeting was bad, and looking through messed with my head. I get sea sick and I think that was happening. I found out large shield make large vacuume. I have the honda 17" shield with vent. I get buffeting and vacuume at 65 plush and I look easily over that one (I'm 5 10"). And I always go 80 on this nearby highway. Going to have to purchase another madstad. Tryed the 11 and 13 last time.maybe try the 13 and a 15 but I'll have to get rid of the whistle that did bother me. As far as me not liking wind well, I rode Harleys since 1993 and had many bikes before that,also cbr600 triumph street triple. Never minded the wind. I would rather take full on wind then buffeting . Sold my harley 2 months ago cause I stopped using it as I prefer the f6b and just had no desire to use the fat boy anymore. Besides my garage is small and I had to move my little car then move the harley over then pull out the honda. So Harleys gone. But been staring hard at ducati 899 pannigale. Something is wrong with me!!!!

Allen Framen
12-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Something is wrong with me!!!!

You only need a bigger garage.

af

willtill
12-10-2016, 05:17 AM
I returned the madstad and decided the next step was a huge shield. Bought a baggershield .The big two piece one for a goldwing. Beautiful piece and seemed to be of high quality. The bottom was like 14" I believe and the worked pretty good .fairly clean air in the face. Put the top on which is huge and I had to look through it. Guess what. Vacuum was insane ,buffeting was bad, and looking through messed with my head. I get sea sick and I think that was happening. I found out large shield make large vacuum. I have the honda 17" shield with vent. I get buffeting and vacuum at 65 plush and I look easily over that one (I'm 5 10"). And I always go 80 on this nearby highway. Going to have to purchase another madstad. Tried the 11 and 13 last time.maybe try the 13 and a 15 but I'll have to get rid of the whistle that did bother me. As far as me not liking wind well, I rode Harleys since 1993 and had many bikes before that,also cbr600 triumph street triple. Never minded the wind. I would rather take full on wind then buffeting . Sold my harley 2 months ago cause I stopped using it as I prefer the f6b and just had no desire to use the fat boy anymore. Besides my garage is small and I had to move my little car then move the harley over then pull out the honda. So Harleys gone. But been staring hard at ducati 899 pannigale. Something is wrong with me!!!!

Yes, I found that large shields create a vacuum as well. I have a Nation Cycle VStream windshield for the GoldWing, and mounted it on my F6B. Great wind protection, but even with the vent open; you can feel the vacuum on your back. I still have it but am running a Madstad these days with the 13" screen.

I'm thinking about purchasing an additional Madstad upper (the 15") for winter. Does anyone know the difference between the 13" and 15" inch in how it measures? Do you get an extra two inches at the top of the shield; or is it a one inch increase at both the top and bottom?

DMAGOLDRDR
12-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Yes, I found that large shields create a vacuum as well. I have a Nation Cycle VStream windshield for the GoldWing, and mounted it on my F6B. Great wind protection, but even with the vent open; you can feel the vacuum on your back. I still have it but am running a Madstad these days with the 13" screen.

I'm thinking about purchasing an additional Madstad upper (the 15") for winter. Does anyone know the difference between the 13" and 15" inch in how it measures? Do you get an extra two inches at the top of the shield; or is it a one inch increase at both the top and bottom?

Two inches at the top......BUT you can have Madstad cut what ever you want.
I have an 11" dark and a 15" clear. I also have a VStream from a Wing and used it for a run to Daytona last year. It is now in a box somewhere in my garage. Nothing but Madstad now !

willtill
12-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Two inches at the top......BUT you can have Madstad cut what ever you want.
I have an 11" dark and a 15" clear. I also have a VStream from a Wing and used it for a run to Daytona last year. It is now in a box somewhere in my garage. Nothing but Madstad now !

Thanks!

opas ride
12-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Sorry some of you guys are having windshield issues..I have the larger Baggershield on my bike since new with none of the issues that I read about on the site here...I am about 5'9" and look thru the shield, which is fine with me..No buffeting, pressures, etc. that I am aware of, and very little wind noise at 80mph on the road..The only thing I have noticed is a little "drone" from the Cobra pipes if I lower my head way down below the windshield....It is more noticeable with the Shoei 3/4 helmet/shield, but hardly at all with the 3/4 open face HJC..Bottom line is I see no need to change anything or spend any money at this point....Ride safe

Old Ryder
12-10-2016, 06:59 PM
To me, anyway. I discovered that when you stick a big piece of plastic in front of your eyes, you change the personality of the F6B completely. I like they mini-madstad. I have both and this is 80% as effective and 100% cooler.

53driver
12-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Sorry some of you guys are having windshield issues..I have the larger Baggershield on my bike since new with none of the issues that I read about on the site here...I am about 5'9" and look thru the shield, which is fine with me..No buffeting, pressures, etc. that I am aware of, and very little wind noise at 80mph on the road..The only thing I have noticed is a little "drone" from the Cobra pipes if I lower my head way down below the windshield....It is more noticeable with the Shoei 3/4 helmet/shield, but hardly at all with the 3/4 open face HJC..Bottom line is I see no need to change anything or spend any money at this point....Ride safe

Never again shall I look through a windscreen!
Drizzly day, freeway, semi truck veered off into the right hand muck and threw up a bunch of mud/silt on to the windscreen.
I was suddenly completely blind at 70 mph.
Had to stand up on the pegs as I was slowing, trying not to become a "hood ornament" on the vehicle behind me that had no clue what was going on, why I was standing up, or why I was slowing.

My experience....
Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
12-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Never again shall I look through a windscreen!
Drizzly day, freeway, semi truck veered off into the right hand muck and threw up a bunch of mud/silt on to the windscreen.
I was suddenly completely blind at 70 mph.
Had to stand up on the pegs as I was slowing, trying not to become a "hood ornament" on the vehicle behind me that had no clue what was going on, why I was standing up, or why I was slowing.

My experience....
Cheers,
Steve
Sorry for your mis-adventure and I am glad nothing serious happened...I have tried both looking over the shield and looking through and prefer the latter...I had an adjustable shield on my Victory Vision and always preferred it set at the height I could look through...Just my preference and it is much less buffeting and wind noise for me...Regards

lake_carl
12-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Got lucky my used f6b came with vented honda screen not sure how tall but works great I see just over top, and when heavy rain I duck slightly get rain off face and look through