PDA

View Full Version : Taking off in 2nd gear.

RoughRider
09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
1rst gear is so low that occasionally I take off in second. Since the bike is lighter then the regular wing, and also I don't ride double, it seems to accelerate fine once in motion. Wondering if anyone else does this and if you think it lugs the engine too much?

tulku36
09-28-2013, 08:48 PM
I also take off in second gear, 1st gear to me is not needed to often.

fidz
09-28-2013, 09:21 PM
and that way you dont hit the neutral

JesseS
09-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I haven't tried this yet, do you have to ride the clutch any to get it off from a stop?

Scotrod
09-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Just a little, not real bad.
I use 1st, but hardly ever do more than 'just get it rolling' before I hit 2nd.

RoughRider
09-29-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't ride the clutch if I don't give it too much fuel initially. Just gently bring it up to speed. If Im on an incline, I definitely use 1rst gear. Most of the time, starting off in second brings me up to highway speed much quicker, 1rst gear is so low I feel I might get creamed from the rear.

cueman
09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
You guys are missing the fun of winding it up and feeling the power! Not saying to abuse it, just feel the rush. 1st gear is the one that gives it the motion.:icon_biggrin:cueman

mel1973
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I always take off in second gear. The only time I really put the bike in first gear is when I'm about to shut it off, that's it. Taking off in second gear gives me that immediate acceleration that I need to distance myself from the others.

Mel

MichaelG
09-30-2013, 12:09 AM
I always take off in second gear. The only time I really put the bike in first gear is when I'm about to shut it off, that's it. Taking off in second gear gives me that immediate acceleration that I need to distance myself from the others.

Mel

I am going to keep my opinions on this matter to myself, as...it your your bike...and you can ride it anyway you want to. :icon_rolleyes:

Pedro66
09-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I am going to keep my opinions on this matter to myself, as...it your your bike...and you can ride it anyway you want to. :icon_rolleyes:

I am with you on this one

dickiedeals
09-30-2013, 05:47 AM
So I guess all the old Farts take off in 2nd. and us Young 56 year olds like to wind her up a bit in first! Lol Just sayin. Really its yours ride it like you want.
I've been accused more than once of being an aggressive rider. Whatever that means. Dickie :biggthumpup:

Scotrod
09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Here in Houston, everyone likes to 'punch the old minivan for all its worth' at the green light,,, and let off when they reach the speed limit,,,

I must be bass-ackwards,,, Roll off the line easy and use the posted speed limits for 'general reference purposes!' :icon_biggrin:

Yeahoo Whoyah
09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
What Miles and Pedro said.

Schuvwj
10-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Mel

All you really need is 2nd 4th and 5th
However a gear indicator would be very nice!

Scotrod
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I paid for all 5, I'm gonna use all 5, dad-gum it! LOL!

My first interpretation of the OD light was that Honda 'just wanted to let you know' there weren't any more cogs left upstairs,,,

MichaelG
10-02-2013, 01:40 PM

My first interpretation of the OD light was that Honda 'just wanted to let you know' there weren't any more cogs left upstairs,,,

Dang Gummit, I have been trying very hard to stay out of this conversation, but...you just made me laugh so hard... :lolup:

RoughRider
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, you can rev 1rst gear all the way up to the red line, and be doing about 20mph..lol...Just kidding, but my impression of it is that its a gear that so low it comes in handy for taking off if you're pulling a trailer or initially taking off on an incline. 2nd gear gets you up to speed quickly otherwise, but my only concern is does it damage the clutch or the engine?:icon_cool:

contek
10-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Dang Gummit, I have been trying very hard to stay out of this conversation, but...you just made me laugh so hard... :lolup:

C'mon let's hear it Miles, don't disappoint me...

Texas TC
10-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Yup, I agree 100%!

RoughRider
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Here is Lafayette, La. there is a Harley hangout biker bar I rode up to with a budweezer of mine who rides a HD Road King. Anyway, long story short, when we walked out there were a half dozen HD riders gathered around my bike and they all loved the styling of the F6. A couple commented how bad ass it looked with many questions that followed. Had to smile leaving the place.

dickiedeals
10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
So while out riding today I tried the taking off it second gear. Worked ok. Problem is I've been using 1st gear for so many years. I naturally down shift without thought. Sort of muscle memory. Takes way more brain power to only down shift to second. So I'll continue to use ride the same way I have for the past 40 years...........Dickie

Deer Slayer
10-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Let it all hang out. shift to second gear at 6 k rpm = Front tyre lift! Forget starting off in second gear use them all and have a blast.

RoughRider
10-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I still sometimes use 1rst gear. I take it up to 3k then shift to 2nd if someone is not barreling down my ass at q light on the interstate.

Scotrod
10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Let it all hang out. shift to second gear at 6 k rpm = Front tyre lift! Forget starting off in second gear use them all and have a blast.

Kinda sorta like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHhIH78yLQ

RoughRider
10-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Kinda sorta like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHhIH78yLQ

HOLY SHIT CAPTAIN KIRK HOW MUCH MORE WARP SPEED CAN SHE TAKE, IM TELLING YOU MAN SHE CAN"T TAKE MUCH MORE< SHE"S COMING APART!!!!!:lolup:

Scotrod
10-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Does kinda look like fun doesn't it? :icon_twisted:

I think I may have had mine up to 4k,,,,, once!!! :nojoke:

ChiSteve
10-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Torque. No need to rev that far past the sweet spot.

Scotrod
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
The old Yami I had preferred the short shift. Max TQ was about 2600 rpm. (113mm of stroke was part of the reason! :icon_biggrin:)

4DI2D
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't ride the clutch if I don't give it too much fuel initially. Just gently bring it up to speed. If Im on an incline, I definitely use 1rst gear. Most of the time, starting off in second brings me up to highway speed much quicker, 1rst gear is so low I feel I might get creamed from the rear.

About the only thing that can cream you from the rear is a Bugatti.
I have ridden both ways and never had any clutch slipping or hesitation, just smooth beautiful torque. :icon_lol:

srt8-in-largo
07-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Am I the only one who takes off in 3rd gear :icon_lol: