PDA

View Full Version : Took delivery of my F6B

D-Train
12-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Hi guys,
Well yesterday the dealer actually brought my F6B to my house, which is a good thing because we've got a LOT of snow recently!

Here's a link to some pics. (http://https://flic.kr/s/aHskN8qp5L)

As you can see, the paint around the gas tank sucks, lots of orange peel, and the edges are bare in places. (https://flic.kr/p/QfC5j7) Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing with the paint issues you guys talk about? The paint on the rest of the bike looks great.

Some other accessories that were included:
Brake Away Throttle Lock (https://flic.kr/p/QiUd9z)

Kuryakyn Highway Pegs (https://flic.kr/p/Q8GKfH)

And I need help identifying this shield. (https://flic.kr/p/QiUAdp) Is this a Baggershield?

I'm also not sure what to make of this drivers backrest (https://flic.kr/p/QiUctr) Can it be easily removed? I won't be able to test drive it for a while.

As you can see from this photo, (https://flic.kr/p/Q8GPgZ) which shows my 2 month old Mazda CX-9 in the background and a look at my snowy neighborhood, I won't be riding anytime soon. ;snowshoveling;

Phantom
12-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Those bare paint scuffs are nothing that I have seen before, its a red F6B therefor its possible that the paint may have flown off when it hit Mach 2 speeds. The backrest looks like a Utopia attached at bottom of seat pan and if removed you will end up with a hole, The shield is a WindBender, The Breakaway is a sweet add on. The snow ... sucks, last I checked U-Haul had trucks in your area, pack everything up and drive south :icon_mrgreen::yes:

Steve 0080
12-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Yup !!!! 85* here today and most of the week....I can't get the grass to stop growing !!!!!:icon_evil:

JMartin
12-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Congrats... I'm still waiting for mine.

D-Train
12-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Congrats... I'm still waiting for mine.

Thanks Jim. Yours, while the same year and color as mine, has about 1/10th the miles mine has. And I bet your paint is in better shape than mine too. I wonder if I can replace the painted parts around my tank? Or maybe just have them repainted? Frankly I think you should keep it red, I'm not a fan of white. But you seem to like looking like a cop, eh? :cop2: :duck:

JMartin
12-17-2016, 10:25 PM
... you seem to like looking like a cop, eh? :cop2: :duck:Actually, I have a history of White/Black with about a dozen vehicles in the past. It's kind of a trademark for me. And now that you mention it... I've learned there is a bit of an advantage to the "cop bubble."

I am a bit nervous about the 2013 paint problems.

sandragggen
12-18-2016, 01:13 AM
My red 2013 gas tank area paint looks nothing like that. I bought mine a leftover new bike in the spring of 2015 and put several coats of Liquid Glass on all the paint and it looks as it should to this day. Not to knock your bike but that paint is horrible.

D-Train
12-18-2016, 01:39 AM
My red 2013 gas tank area paint looks nothing like that. I bought mine a leftover new bike in the spring of 2015 and put several coats of Liquid Glass on all the paint and it looks as it should to this day. Not to knock your bike but that paint is horrible.

No offense taken, I agree it looks like sh*t, which is strange considering the rest of the bike looks pretty good. This was one of my reservations about buying a bike sight unseen. Oh well, I can probably get those parts repainted for a few hundred bucks I would guess. I really can't figure out what might have caused the damage. And since LOTS of owners of this bike complain about problems with the paint I guess I should "join the club". I just wish I knew if this is Honda's fault or if the previous owner might be somehow responsible. :shrug:

unsub
12-18-2016, 03:43 AM
Op was this bike a wreck and restored by any chance? Looks to me like the areas you've shown have been re painted without proper prep. I'm thinking damaged and repaired....... but I'm far from an expert.

Sorcerer
12-18-2016, 10:47 AM
On my black 13 the top edge of the gas door was starting to look like yours. Between the bottom edge of the center cubby contacting and the cubby mounted map pouch I ended up putting the Show Chrome black gas door trim on to cover up the paint damage. Even that part was showing ware. On my 14 yellow I've put a clear film protector on the top area of the gas door and replaced that twice in 5,000 miles. Take a close look at your gas door there may be a clear cover on it. To me it looks like some one may have had a map or gas door mounted pouch on it. The left edge of the shelter looks like there may have a cable from the headset jack riding on the paint. Congrats on the new ride.

98valk
12-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Looks like you have Muth Mirrors with built in turn signals. :yes:

D-Train
12-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Op was this bike a wreck and restored by any chance? Looks to me like the areas you've shown have been re painted without proper prep. I'm thinking damaged and repaired....... but I'm far from an expert.

I seriously doubt it because what kind of a wreck would damage only the gas tank? I can't imagine such a scenario. The bags, fairing, crash guards etc are all in excellent shape. Those would be the things that would be damaged in a wreck and the dealer says they've done a complete inspection and the bike has never been wrecked. I did ask them if there was such a thing as a Carfax for bikes and they said no.

:idea: I wonder how much work it would be to pull all of the painted parts off of the bike and change colors? I'm sure I could have it repainted for about $1000. I'm really infatuated with the metallic blue of the 2015 model. I'm sure if I had the whole thing repainted that color then I would be even more stoked than I already am about my new bike.

D-Train
12-18-2016, 11:25 AM
On my black 13 the top edge of the gas door was starting to look like yours. Between the bottom edge of the center cubby contacting and the cubby mounted map pouch I ended up putting the Show Chrome black gas door trim on to cover up the paint damage. Even that part was showing ware. On my 14 yellow I've put a clear film protector on the top area of the gas door and replaced that twice in 5,000 miles. Take a close look at your gas door there may be a clear cover on it. To me it looks like some one may have had a map or gas door mounted pouch on it. The left edge of the shelter looks like there may have a cable from the headset jack riding on the paint. Congrats on the new ride.

I'll have to go out and take a closer look, but it looks like all of the edges of the fuel door are missing paint, but the thing that bothers me the most is all of the gas tank paint has that orange peel effect going on. :shrug: Does that necessarily mean that it has been repainted? Or did Honda just do a poor job on the original paint job? :icon_question:

The tank sides and fuel door do look like they have a clear plastic protectant film on them but I thought that was stock. The salesman seemed to imply that was on the tank where your thighs rub against the tank to protect the paint. Is that standard? Or is that something the original owner added himself and might that be the source of my problems? :shrug:

Thanks guys for tolerating all of my newbie ignorance. :icon_redface:

D-Train
12-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Looks like you have Muth Mirrors with built in turn signals. :yes:

OK I am going to show just how ignorant I am really now, don't the stock mirrors have built in turn signals? Or are those just running lights? What is the difference and how can you tell from my pics? Thanks for the info! :biggthumpup:

Oh you mean turn signals IN the glass, not the backside of the mirrors!

http://wingstuff.com/shop/muth_mirrors-lights_electrical-f6b

Now I gotta go out and take a closer look. I also gotta check for a center stand that my dealer said was "serviced"? I got a "Motorcycle & ATV Safety Checklist" from the dealer where everything is checked off. At the bottom of the list they wrote: "Replaced Bad Headlight Bulb", "Replaced Left & Right Foot Peg Pads", "Fixed Center Stand". So obviously it has one. I wonder what was wrong with it that it needed "fixing"? :shrug:

***OK upon further inspection of the paperwork it says "replaced center stand spring". So maybe it was dragging on the ground when riding. I bet that sent up a shower of sparks! :icon_lol:***

Also, for the 24K service, the total came to $660 for labor and $134 for parts, $15 shop supplies and $55.44 Tax for a grand total of $864. I paid $325. They put in new oil and filter, coolant, 6 new spark plugs, new air filter and new brake fluid. They also wrote "Front Brake Pads are at 85%, rear are at 70%". Everything else on the 24K check list either says "ok, lubed, or replaced". :icon_mrgreen:

F6BPDX
12-18-2016, 11:31 AM
It looks to me like maybe somebody mounted a tank bag of some sort that didn't do so hot.

D-Train
12-18-2016, 11:45 AM
It looks to me like maybe somebody mounted a tank bag of some sort that didn't do so hot.

I agree, that would be my guess too! I wonder if the previous owner tried repairing the damage himself or..? Is the clear plastic film on the sides of the tank OEM or did he add that himself perhaps? Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Keep it coming! :yes:

I assume from your name that you are a fellow Oregonian in Portland? If so are you getting any riding done? :yes:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Congrats on the bike and welcome to this great forum.

My observation is the previous owner added 3m protective film to the tank and that's what you are seeing peel or bubble. Not hard to repair. It's made to come off, clean up your paint, if unhappy with oem paint, you can add protective film back.

I'd normally be riding in western Oregon now, but we just got our usual white Christmas storm here too.

D-Train
12-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the bike and welcome to this great forum.

My observation is the previous owner added 3m protective film to the tank and that's what you are seeing peel or bubble. Not hard to repair. It's made to come off, clean up your paint, if unhappy with oem paint, you can add protective film back.

I'd normally be riding in western Oregon now, but we just got our usual white Christmas storm here too.

Thanks for the info, I doubt the film will come off too easily in 25 degree weather, I may have to wait for it to warm up or use a hair dryer, or I have a heat shrink gun that's like a really hot hair dryer that I can maybe try. It definitely has that clear 3M film on it, hopefully the "orange peel" look is from that and not the paint. But the edges of the tank and fuel door still are bare so that's an issue, but maybe some trim like another member suggested would fix that.

What city in Oregon are you in? The bike I bought came from Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA. They have more than 600 bikes on their sales floor! :yikes:

Thanks for the welcome! Here's my favorite thing about Oregon. :beer3: :icon_wink:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info, I doubt the film will come off too easily in 25 degree weather, I may have to wait for it to warm up or use a hair dryer, or I have a heat shrink gun that's like a really hot hair dryer that I can maybe try. It definitely has that clear 3M film on it, hopefully the "orange peel" look is from that and not the paint. But the edges of the tank and fuel door still are bare so that's an issue, but maybe some trim like another member suggested would fix that.

What city in Oregon are you in? The bike I bought came from Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA. They have more than 600 bikes on their sales floor! :yikes:

Thanks for the welcome! Here's my favorite thing about Oregon. :beer3: :icon_wink:

Yes, don't try to remove it in those temperatures.
Check your Private Messages.

F6BPDX
12-19-2016, 12:48 AM
I agree, that would be my guess too! I wonder if the previous owner tried repairing the damage himself or..? Is the clear plastic film on the sides of the tank OEM or did he add that himself perhaps? Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Keep it coming! :yes:

I assume from your name that you are a fellow Oregonian in Portland? If so are you getting any riding done? :yes:

Portland adjacent yeah. I ride year round as a commuter, not much in the way of extra curricular miles in the winter time though. Like Dirtstiff said though this past week has been the exception as we endured Snowpocalypse '16.

D-Train
12-19-2016, 01:00 AM
Portland adjacent yeah. I ride year round as a commuter, not much in the way of extra curricular miles in the winter time though. Like Dirtstiff said though this past week has been the exception as we endured Snowpocalypse '16.

You guys didn't get squat for snow, not like Bend got! I bought the bike from ProCaliber in Vancouver, and he said they just got a dusting that was melted the next day. The snow we got here won't melt any time soon! 'freezing-cold'

I didn't notice that it says you're in Hillsboro below your name, sorry. But if you're riding at all this time of year you're a brave man! :icon_lol:

valkmc
12-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Yup !!!! 85* here today and most of the week....I can't get the grass to stop growing !!!!!:icon_evil:

That's why I live in central Florida and not here:

https://articles.niche.com/top-25-snowiest-cities-in-america/

Grew up in Oswego 40 miles north where they get more snow than Syracuse.

Going camping this week, bike is in the toy hauler!!!

98valk
12-19-2016, 12:33 PM
But the edges of the tank and fuel door still are bare so that's an issue, but maybe some trim like another member suggested would fix that.

If you are lucky:

I don't know how the bottom of the tank cover could get rubbed. Maybe what looks like rubbed off paint is the 3m film is not sticking down and has collected debris under it. Once the film is removed, you may find paint under it! That goes for the left side panel, too. Looks like the same thing happened there.

D-Train
12-19-2016, 11:13 PM
If you are lucky:

I don't know how the bottom of the tank cover could get rubbed. Maybe what looks like rubbed off paint is the 3m film is not sticking down and has collected debris under it. Once the film is removed, you may find paint under it! That goes for the left side panel, too. Looks like the same thing happened there.

I believe you may be right. At least, I'm HOPING you're right! However, I still want to paint it blue (not black like the Stones say). That, along with black Cobra 6-into-6 pipes and a cool windshield would make this bike MINE! :headbang:

2wheelsforme
12-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Hopnel makes a gas door cover that gives you a pocket and will cover up the door, https://www.amazon.com/Hopnel-POUCH-GL1800-Luggage-Accessories/dp/B000GTWQ20/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1482230270&vehicle=2015-59-24084-20-----14342------2-0&sr=1-8&ymm=2015%3Ahonda%3Agl1800b+gold+wing+f6b+deluxe

2wheelsforme
12-20-2016, 07:37 AM
Our sponsor Wing Stuff has one also.

D-Train
12-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Hopnel makes a gas door cover that gives you a pocket and will cover up the door, https://www.amazon.com/Hopnel-POUCH-GL1800-Luggage-Accessories/dp/B000GTWQ20/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1482230270&vehicle=2015-59-24084-20-----14342------2-0&sr=1-8&ymm=2015%3Ahonda%3Agl1800b+gold+wing+f6b+deluxe

Ummm, I'm thinking I might need to access the key hole every once in a while. :joke:

2wheelsforme
12-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Says gas lock is reachable.

terryboyle
12-22-2016, 02:43 PM
I am retired and don't have the coin for a repaint but that blue is a beautiful colour. I had a CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and it was in a similar blue, the red will do for now for me.'welcome gang'

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-22-2016, 08:41 PM
You guys didn't get squat for snow, not like Bend got! I bought the bike from ProCaliber in Vancouver, and he said they just got a dusting that was melted the next day. The snow we got here won't melt any time soon! 'freezing-cold'

I didn't notice that it says you're in Hillsboro below your name, sorry. But if you're riding at all this time of year you're a brave man! :icon_lol:

Maybe look up the elevation of PDX- Hillsboro, OR vs Bend, OR. Might explain snowfall versus rainfall.

F6BPDX
12-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Maybe look up the elevation of PDX- Hillsboro, OR vs Bend, OR. Might explain snowfall versus rainfall.

Snowfall totals is a contest I will gladly let him win. :catfight:

Big Jay
12-23-2016, 09:58 PM
:yes: Me too

D-Train
12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Snowfall totals is a contest I will gladly let him win. :catfight:

And RAINFALL totals is a fight I will gladly let YOU win! Bend=~10 inches, Portland=~40 inches/year. You win! :icon_mrgreen:

OK, maybe just a SLIGHT exaggeration.

More than twice the days of rain, but nearly 4 times the AMOUNT of rain! :yikes:

:banana: :duck:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-24-2016, 12:10 AM

Bend is about 3625 feet above sea level, Portland is about 50 ft above sea level. You will always win the snow fall contest.

OK, Merry Christmas.

D-Train
12-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Bend is about 3625 feet above sea level, Portland is about 50 ft above sea level. You will always win the snow fall contest.

OK, Merry Christmas.

Both cities have their advantages & disadvantages. Merry Christmas to you too! :114: :icon_tree: :114: