PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Offer for new F6B/Deluxe

bikernerd@th
01-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Long time forum lurker, first time poster...

I noticed that Honda as of 01/01/2017 has extended the $2500 rebate to the 2015 models of the F6B. Given the relatively soft market for these bikes, what would you recommend would be a good offer to make on a 2015 F6B regular or deluxe models. Most of the dealers in my have both models in the color that I want.

Thanks in Advance.

tiltingf6b
01-02-2017, 05:05 PM

I noticed that Honda as of 01/01/2017 has extended the $2500 rebate to the 2015 models of the F6B. Given the relatively soft market for these bikes, what would you recommend would be a good offer to make on a 2015 F6B regular or deluxe models. Most of the dealers in my have both models in the color that I want.

Thanks in Advance.

seadog
01-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Then be willing to walk out the door when they say that's not enough.

stroguy
01-02-2017, 05:50 PM

Or a hair lighter at $15.5K. $16K with some accessories thrown in. Mark ups from the parts department are huge so they make good bartering tools. Good luck.

bikernerd@th
01-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Or a hair lighter at $15.5K. $16K with some accessories thrown in. Mark ups from the parts department are huge so they make good bartering tools. Good luck.

Thanks. I was thinking about starting at 15.5K for the deluxe and 14.5 for a non-deluxe and see if I can get some bites.

seventwenty
01-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about starting at 15.5K for the deluxe and 14.5 for a non-deluxe and see if I can get some bites.

Good luck, the dealers here are tight. I paid $14500 for a 13 Standard in August. They were asking $16k and came down to that. Get them to throw in the extended warranty, especially if it has any miles at all. Factory warranty started as soon as the 1st test drive was taken.

opas ride
01-02-2017, 10:10 PM
I would think around 16K is a fair price for the standard..Maybe a few bucks more for the deluxe...What you pay is really personal and as long as you and the dealer are happy it is really no one else's business as far as I am concerned....Good luck

2wheelsforme
01-03-2017, 08:07 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Negotiate

olegoat345
01-03-2017, 10:57 AM
My pet peeve is dealer fees.
Here in Fl. I've seen hidden dealer mark ups between $1,000.00 & $2,000.00 bucks. The Fl. M/C dealers I've tried to do business with will not tell you about their fees unless you ask. The Indian dealer in Ocala, Fl. is right at $2k. Honda dealer in Eustis, Fl. is over $1k, I understand HD dealers are higher. The Fl. dealers I've tried to deal w/ refuse to give a "out the door price" (OTD) on a "dealer invoice w/ their letterhead" Instead they give you something on a business card or a piece of scrap paper they have layin' around, which means nothing when it's time to close. =
I brought my 2016 Indian Chief Vintage in NC, dealer doc fee $368.00, at a nice discount, driving less than 900 miles round trip. Trip cost was less than $400 bucks, inc. food, gas & 1 night in motel. Net savings, little over $4k.
My point, get a OTD price, check your contract over, ask questions, before signing. Remember, that's not the last one made, they're building thousands of "your dream bike" every week......... okay, okay, I'll get off my soap box....................... damn dealer fees!.........sorry, I'm really done.

No Handle Sam
01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
You can get a new 2016 Deluxe in white or matte silver for $16,798 out the door from Sport Cycles in Rockingham, NC. (of course you will still have to pay taxes on it when you register it in your home state) It's the best number on a brand new one that I've seen. There is also a new black 2014 standard at Honda of Stillwater OK that they are asking $14,999 for. I'm not sure if that is "out the door" or not? So there are deals to be had out there if you do a little digging. Good Luck!!

JMartin
01-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I've been watching the market for several months... the advice given here is sound. There are deals to be made on new F6B's (even older model year bikes still in crates). The market for the F6B is soft, and you are entering the "dead of winter" so that is also in your favor.

Originally I wanted a new, white, 2016 with cruise... but in the end, I decided to compromise the color and cruise, and got a 2013 Deluxe in Red with 2700 miles on it, for $10,500.

That was a considerable savings from the cost of new, and if Honda decides to totally update the Gold Wings in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... I can still upgrade to the new model and not take that huge depreciation hit of buying new. Then again, Honda would have to make some huge improvements in order to make me want to part with my current F6B.

Just my $.02.

Jim

bikernerd@th
01-03-2017, 01:54 PM
I've been watching the market for several months... the advice given here is sound. There are deals to be made on new F6B's (even older model year bikes still in crates). The market for the F6B is soft, and you are entering the "dead of winter" so that is also in your favor.

Originally I wanted a new, white, 2016 with cruise... but in the end, I decided to compromise the color and cruise, and got a 2013 Deluxe in Red with 2700 miles on it, for $10,500.

That was a considerable savings from the cost of new, and if Honda decides to totally update the Gold Wings in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... I can still upgrade to the new model and not take that huge depreciation hit of buying new. Then again, Honda would have to make some huge improvements in order to make me want to part with my current F6B.

Just my $.02.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I have been following your posts closely over the last month or so as your decision process seems to closely parallel mine. This will be a big upgrade for me so I have been mulling over the new vs used decision in much the same way you did. Like you, I have a preferred color (blue) and a perceived need for the cruise control option. The more I thing about it, neither seem to be worth the $5K premium.

My problem is I usually keep my toys for a long time and don't trade often. It's a very tough decision.

bikernerd@th
01-03-2017, 02:00 PM
My pet peeve is dealer fees.
Here in Fl. I've seen hidden dealer mark ups between $1,000.00 & $2,000.00 bucks. The Fl. M/C dealers I've tried to do business with will not tell you about their fees unless you ask. The Indian dealer in Ocala, Fl. is right at $2k. Honda dealer in Eustis, Fl. is over $1k, I understand HD dealers are higher. The Fl. dealers I've tried to deal w/ refuse to give a "out the door price" (OTD) on a "dealer invoice w/ their letterhead" Instead they give you something on a business card or a piece of scrap paper they have layin' around, which means nothing when it's time to close. =
I brought my 2016 Indian Chief Vintage in NC, dealer doc fee $368.00, at a nice discount, driving less than 900 miles round trip. Trip cost was less than $400 bucks, inc. food, gas & 1 night in motel. Net savings, little over $4k.
My point, get a OTD price, check your contract over, ask questions, before signing. Remember, that's not the last one made, they're building thousands of "your dream bike" every week......... okay, okay, I'll get off my soap box....................... damn dealer fees!.........sorry, I'm really done.

The dealer fees are what makes shopping around for bikes difficult. I beginning to believe that it is all part of this shell game that the dealers are playing. Seems a bit unethical to offer a advertised price for something then tack on the $2K premium once your start negotiating.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely open up the negotiation with the understanding that we are talking OTD prices and they should include their profit in the negotiated numbers.

opas ride
01-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks Jim.

I have been following your posts closely over the last month or so as your decision process seems to closely parallel mine. This will be a big upgrade for me so I have been mulling over the new vs used decision in much the same way you did. Like you, I have a preferred color (blue) and a perceived need for the cruise control option. The more I thing about it, neither seem to be worth the $5K premium.

My problem is I usually keep my toys for a long time and don't trade often. It's a very tough decision.

I used to trade bikes every 2/3 years when I was younger and some colors/options, etc. did not really matter much....but now that I am older, hopefully wiser, living on a fixed income in retirement, I bought what I wanted as I planned to keep my F6B for while...If your one of those, as you said, who keep things for a while, buy exactly what you want, or as close as you can, for the money you can spend, and ride off into the "sunset" a happy camper!!!....JMHO

JMartin
01-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks Jim.

You're welcome.

With the money I saved, the bike could become any color I want.

With respect to Cruise... I thought I wanted it mostly to help me keep my speeds under control, but what I've found is that because this bike is so much heavier (read: smoother) than my ST1100P and previous bikes, I actually don't find myself creeping up to unreasonable speeds like I thought I would. I actually ride it quite conservatively. Then again... I'm 56 now and that could be a contributing factor. Additionally, for those few moments when I need to remove my right hand from the throttle, the ThrottleMeister performs well enough.

Jim

D-Train
01-04-2017, 02:29 AM
I checked cycletrader, they had an ad from a dealer in Huntington Beach, CA that was selling a new 2015 blue one for $13,500. I called the dealer and they told me that I have to add freight and assembly. Assembly was $999 (to put the bike together!) and $400 for freight. The bike may still be available, but you're looking at about $15K OTD. Not sure if you need to figure in sales tax on top of that also or not. I, like Jim, bought a used 2013 red one. Mine has 29,005 miles on it, plus some other goodies, for $9999, plus $318 for doc fees so $10,317 OTD. Delivered right to my garage for free (the dealer was 200 miles away and we have tons of snow on the ground!). Anyway, deals can be had. I just decided it wasn't worth half again the price I paid for a new bike. 29,005 miles in nothing on this engine and the bike still looks great and has some pricey farkles already added. Good luck! :beer3:

3Chief
01-04-2017, 05:52 AM

If you intend to keep it awhile then spending the extra funds to get what you want is worth it. Nothing worse then compromising on something and then realizing you really didn't want to give up whatever. $5K may seem like a lot now but if it keeps you on the bike vs trading out in a few years because you didn't get a color or feature you wanted will cost you more in the long run. I myself bought a bike before the B that I wasn't sold on the color but it was a great deal on a new prior year model. The color was just one more irritation when I started having issues with bike. Wonderful machine but it an I could not get on the same page. I unfortunately still own it and will have it finally paid off this spring so hopefully some lucky soul will give it a new home. My B not so subtly laughs at it every time I go for a ride. :icon_wink:

bikernerd@th
01-04-2017, 06:05 AM
Thanks to all who have replied, your comments have been helpful. II agree that the market on the F6B is just too soft to justify purchasing a new bike. Like Jim suggested, the $5K difference in price can more than make up for the color and options that the new bike would bring. The only value add would be the additional warranty, but from what I have read about the bike, these things are pretty much bullet proof beyond some minor issues with the paint.

I think I am going to continue to keep an eye out for a used bike with the options that I want and paint it with the money I saved over new.

Thanks again

Bigcityd
01-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks in Advance.

Fl1madmax on this forum has a F6B 2013 with lots of extras for sale. You should contact him and see if you can get krona deal

AnthonyGen
01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
I would appreciate any input on a deal I've secured, but haven't signed the paperwork yet. I'm primarily undecided because the bike is technically 4 model years old, although it was just taken out of the crate a month ago.

2013 F6B Standard $13,200 + $250 Doc Fee + $890 Tax = $14,340 out the door
The dealer was also able to get 60 or 72 months financing through American Honda Finance at 5.99% with no prepayment penalty.

I'm wondering how many 2015 models are left out there unsold and if Honda will discount them as much as they did on the '13 and '14 models? I'm thinking if I wait another 6 months I might possibly be able to get a '15 with cruise for $14,500? I'm guessing Honda slowed down production on the '15 and '16 models since they were left with so many '14 and '14's leftover.

The other crazy thing is I purchased a new '13 F6B in May of 2015 for $12,999 but it was sold by the dealer as a demo model. I've regretted my decision to sell it ever since its been gone and want another F6B. It also looks like Honda is no longer making this bike after 2016?

What do you guys think? Should I buy the '13 now or wait? Thanks

53driver
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM
I would appreciate any input on a deal I've secured, but haven't signed the paperwork yet. I'm primarily undecided because the bike is technically 4 model years old, although it was just taken out of the crate a month ago.

2013 F6B Standard $13,200 + $250 Doc Fee + $890 Tax = $14,340 out the door
The dealer was also able to get 60 or 72 months financing through American Honda Finance at 5.99% with no prepayment penalty.

I'm wondering how many 2015 models are left out there unsold and if Honda will discount them as much as they did on the '13 and '14 models? I'm thinking if I wait another 6 months I might possibly be able to get a '15 with cruise for $14,500? I'm guessing Honda slowed down production on the '15 and '16 models since they were left with so many '14 and '14's leftover.

The other crazy thing is I purchased a new '13 F6B in May of 2015 for $12,999 but it was sold by the dealer as a demo model. I've regretted my decision to sell it ever since its been gone and want another F6B. It also looks like Honda is no longer making this bike after 2016?

What do you guys think? Should I buy the '13 now or wait? Thanks

That's a tough call.....unless you have your heart set on "Red" and the bike is in fact red. That was the only year they came in red.
I'm pretty sure I've seen others get, for ~$1k more, a 2015 with cruise and the revised 4th & 5th gears in the transmission.
If color doesn't really matter, the matte finish did away with a lot of the paint issues as well.
Of course, many of us spent >$18k on ours.....
Cheers,
Steve

JMartin
01-08-2017, 09:49 AM
This is why the used market is so interesting to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122302117018

This is a 2013 with only 4200 miles on it.
Already has an aftermarket Electronic Cruise Control installed.
Cee Bailey and Factory Windscreens.

$10,200 and accepting offers.
This one is another screamin' deal that I would have jumped on.
Plus it's already here in California, which would have saved me another $600 on shipping.

The deals are out there.

D-Train
01-08-2017, 10:59 AM
This is why the used market is so interesting to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122302117018

This is a 2013 with only 4200 miles on it.
Already has an aftermarket Electronic Cruise Control installed.
Cee Bailey and Factory Windscreens.

$10,200 and accepting offers.
This one is another screamin' deal that I would have jumped on.
Plus it's already here in California, which would have saved me another $600 on shipping.

The deals are out there.

Damn, that's an even better deal than I got! Of course I would have still needed to have it shipped and arranged my own financing, but other than those 2 drawbacks it's still a great deal! It also has a center stand installed. :biker:

JMartin
01-08-2017, 12:01 PM
... It also has a center stand installed. :biker:
Yeah, I caught that... it appears to be a Standard and not a Deluxe, but the price is still great, and the Cruise Control would have sold me too... it was one of my initial criteria.

I bet you could offer something in the range of $9,500 and take it. ("Divorce forces sale").

JMartin
01-08-2017, 06:56 PM
...I would have still needed to have it shipped...

Upon reflection... I would have gladly picked it up for you in Southern Cal and rode it up to you... I have family in Grants Pass and Portland. :icon_biggrin:

D-Train
01-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Upon reflection... I would have gladly picked it up for you in Southern Cal and rode it up to you... I have family in Grants Pass and Portland. :icon_biggrin:

Not without mounting snow skis to it you wouldn't have! :yikes: ;snowshoveling;

AnthonyGen
01-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Well guys, I did it. After a little more negotiating, I bought the 2013 F6B leftover. I think the dealer gave me a fair deal.
2013 F6B Standard $13,000
Doc Fee $250
Here's the crazy thing... When he saw me wavering on the '13 vs the '15 Deluxe, he ordered me the passenger backrest and heated grips at his cost ($535) and threw in a free center stand and free labor to install everything. Aside from self cancelling signals, I basically got a deluxe for $13,535. At this point I'm looking at roughly $2200 more for the '15 deluxe with cruise, transmission change, and 2 years newer. I plan on keeping the bike and just couldn't justify paying $2200 more.

Bottom line: I'm happy with the deal and I got a new F6B in red!

JMartin
01-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Then you did well.
Plus you got the one thing I can't in the used bike world... a fresh factory warranty.

Congratulations and ride well.

Jim

53driver
01-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Well guys, I did it. After a little more negotiating, I bought the 2013 F6B leftover. I think the dealer gave me a fair deal.
Doc Fee $250
Here's the crazy thing... When he saw me wavering on the '13 vs the '15 Deluxe, he ordered me the passenger backrest and heated grips at his cost ($535) and threw in a free center stand and free labor to install everything. Aside from self cancelling signals, I basically got a deluxe for $13,535. At this point I'm looking at roughly $2200 more for the '15 deluxe with cruise, transmission change, and 2 years newer. I plan on keeping the bike and just couldn't justify paying $2200 more.

Most excellent. Welcome!
And? The self canceling turn signals can be a PITA...

You did well!

BIGLRY
01-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Doc Fee $250

Bottom line: I'm happy with the deal and I got a new F6B in red!A good deal is when the seller and buyer feel they both got a good deal and it souds like you did. Congrats, now the real fun begins.......ride the wheels off that baby and enjoy.:icon_lol:

AnthonyGen
01-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys. Now, I just need some warm Ohio weather and get some seat time.
The dealer did offer me an extended 4 year warranty for $599 taking it out for a total of 7 years. What do you think?

D-Train
01-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys. Now, I just need some warm Ohio weather and get some seat time.
The dealer did offer me an extended 4 year warranty for $599 taking it out for a total of 7 years. What do you think?

Not sure I'd bite on the extended warranty but I think you did well otherwise. :congrats:

Dak44312
01-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Be careful. Honda allows the dealer to hold that extra $2500 in Honda Bonus Bucks- that's how they get to the attractive pricing. If they are a shitty dealer, like mine, they won't disclose that until you are ready to sign the papers. In my case, the sales agreement that I signed was re-written on the day of my purchase to read that they were holding back the accessory money. After a heated argument with the sales manager and a call to Honda, I got nothing. I could have walked, but after checking, I couldn't get the same deal anywhere else so I folded. Perhaps one day the dealer will get struck by lightning and the place will violently explode with my salesman and the manager inside. I'd be ok with that.... but that's none of my business.

While I despise the way they treated me and I felt like it was shady, in the end, you're really better off that way anyhow, as the taxable sale amount will be reduced by $2500 and you can buy the same Honda or equivalent accessories for much less on your own.

AnthonyGen
01-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Yes, I know Honda is offering the $2500 in bonus bucks on '15 and prior Goldwings and F6Bs. You are correct also in that you have to pay sales tax on that $2500 also. In my situation, the dealer was upfront and disclosed that he was utilizing those funds to make me the best deal. The way he wrote my deal up though helped because I didn't have to pay tax on the bonus bucks. I feel that I got a good, not great deal on my bike. He also only charged me $535 for the backrest, heated grips, centerstand, and installation.

That's not cool that your dealer didn't disclose the bonus bucks but at least it sounds like they included them to get you a better price on the bike? These bikes certainly aren't investments as we all know they plummet in value the minute you sign the paperwork. I bought mine because it's a hell of a bike that was discontinued in '17 and it fits my Sport touring needs perfectly.

JMartin
01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
The eBay bike that I mentioned a few posts ago has since expired.
But it has now been relisted with a $11,000 Buy it now, and no more Best Offer. Must have had some serious interest.
I did notice that over 30 people had it on their watch list... but I was surprised that it didn't sell.

Just watching the market still.

Jim

AnthonyGen
01-15-2017, 10:13 PM
I just checked that Ebay posting out and something seems fishy with this seller. It shows only 21 feedbacks with a 0% feedback rating. If it didn't sell with that low of a buy it now price and now the price has been raised I wouldn't trust it. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is.

tiltingf6b
01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Doc Fee $250

:clap2:

D-Train
01-15-2017, 11:01 PM
I just checked that Ebay posting out and something seems fishy with this seller. It shows only 21 feedbacks with a 0% feedback rating. If it didn't sell with that low of a buy it now price and now the price has been raised I wouldn't trust it. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is.

I'm an extremely experienced eBay pro. That sellers feedback rating is 0% because you were looking at his 21 feedbacks, but none of them were during the last 12 months, and that is what the 0% shows. If you read the feedbacks he HAS received, it is for motorcycles, and they are all positive but over a year old.
He probably ended the auction early before he got any bids because he realized he had not set a reserve price, he was getting more watchers than he expected (because he realized he priced it too low) and realized he was going to most likely have a last minute bidder and have to sell it for $10,200. I would have done the same thing. It's still a great deal but I think it's legit.

JMartin
01-15-2017, 11:31 PM
I'm an extremely experienced eBay pro. That sellers feedback rating is 0% because you were looking at his 21 feedbacks, but none of them were during the last 12 months, and that is what the 0% shows. If you read the feedbacks he HAS received, it is for motorcycles, and they are all positive but over a year old.
He probably ended the auction early before he got any bids because he realized he had not set a reserve price, he was getting more watchers than he expected (because he realized he priced it too low) and realized he was going to most likely have a last minute bidder and have to sell it for $10,200. I would have done the same thing. It's still a great deal but I think it's legit.Yes, but it wasn't an auction listing, it was a Buy it Now, or Best Offer, so there was no bidding or reserve price.

D-Train
01-16-2017, 12:52 AM
Yes, but it wasn't an auction listing, it was a Buy it Now, or Best Offer, so there was no bidding or reserve price.

Oh, well I guess it all amounts to the same thing. He realized he priced it too low and decided to end it early and raise the price. Still it will probably sell and it's still a great deal. The seller obviously realizes that as well. :icon_mrgreen:

AnthonyGen
01-16-2017, 11:02 AM
I certainly don't claim to be an Ebay Pro, but Jim is right in that the original listing had a $10,200 Buy It Now or Best Offer. That would typically indicate the seller will take $10,200 right now to end the auction. It just seems strange that the seller raised the price, but maybe they're playing games trying to get as much as they can. Either way, that type of selling manipulation would deter me as a buyer and I would be skeptical. At the end of the day it's only going to bring what someone is willing to pay. $11k or even $11.5k would be a steal on that bike with only 4400 miles and aftermarket cruise control installed. Got this one saved to my watch list and anxious to see how it turns out.

blackmetoc
01-16-2017, 05:33 PM

I am halfway thinking about trading my black one in for a new, white one. This is just a wee thought going through my head. I am not too serious. You should look at $15k to 16k, I think.

Bigcityd
01-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Yes, I know Honda is offering the $2500 in bonus bucks on '15 and prior Goldwings and F6Bs. You are correct also in that you have to pay sales tax on that $2500 also. In my situation, the dealer was upfront and disclosed that he was utilizing those funds to make me the best deal. The way he wrote my deal up though helped because I didn't have to pay tax on the bonus bucks. I feel that I got a good, not great deal on my bike. He also only charged me $535 for the backrest, heated grips, centerstand, and installation.

That's not cool that your dealer didn't disclose the bonus bucks but at least it sounds like they included them to get you a better price on the bike? These bikes certainly aren't investments as we all know they plummet in value the minute you sign the paperwork. I bought mine because it's a hell of a bike that was discontinued in '17 and it fits my Sport touring needs perfectly.

Our bikes continue to be sold in Canada and Australia into the next model year. The US Honda site doesn't list the F6B for 2017 yet, just the 2015 and 2016 models. That may be the last of them as the 'wing is supposed to change up a bunch for 2018.
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/touring/gold_wing_F6B

blackmetoc
01-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal!