PDA

View Full Version : Where too in the NE??

Bob Penn
01-05-2017, 09:50 AM
On another thread there was some discussion about riding in the up coming season. That started me to thinking where do I want to go and why am I going. It's easy to say I just want to ride, but then I don't need a plan or time or even a date. Heck I don't even have to leave the neighborhood. Around and around the block I'll go but that will probably just piss the neighbors off. Us old people like to do that!

In the interest of commonalty I now ask where would you like to go? What would you like to see? What would you like to do? Sure it's great fun to ride with a group of friends, but I ask, isn't it more fun to shoot your gun when you have a target?

Can I get some input? Surly you've been somewhere that you would like to share with the rest of us. Maybe you'd like to repeat a ride that we did in the past, just to have a known destination and get together. How do you feel about an overnight 2 day trip so we can extend our range? If we start to plan now maybe you could even plan your next day off. After all April fools day is coming!

Questions to answer:

Suggest a Destinations
Reason: Good roads
Scinery
FOOD
Best day to plan
Best time and place to meet

wjduke
01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
I'll just say this...I enjoyed all my rides from western CT to PA, to VT, to upstate NY. I'd repeat any ride I've done and venture further. Now, I haven't answered any of your questions! On these rides, I'm more of a follower. I'm not familiar with local stuff out there. I could be available for a weekend overnight. I do work every other Saturday morning.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-05-2017, 02:12 PM
I don't think that would be a day ride, so for the over night category I will throw in...... Welsboro PA
I have heard of but never been to Welsboro. From what I hear there is a huge Canyon or Gorge to see and the riding is nice.

As for day rides.....
Just to throw out a couple off the top of my head.

Although I ride the Catskills often it is still one of my favorite areas.
Rt 28 thru the middle to Hickory BBQ in Woodstock is a great stop for lunch as is the Phonecia Diner on the East side, or
Rt97 from Matamoras to Hancock with Lunch at the Circle E Diner or
17 to 30 to the Old School House Inn & Restaurant in Downsville NY are favorites on the West side.

I hope that is what you were after Bob, otherwise forget what I said and I'll just follow you for a GREAT Cheese Danish and slice of Apple Pie again.

ReserveBum
01-05-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't think that would be a day ride, so for the over night category I will throw in...... Welsboro PA
I have heard of but never been to Welsboro. From what I hear there is a huge Canyon or Gorge to see and the riding is nice.

As for day rides.....
Just to throw out a couple off the top of my head.

Although I ride the Catskills often it is still one of my favorite areas.
Rt 28 thru the middle to Hickory BBQ in Woodstock is a great stop for lunch as is the Phonecia Diner on the East side, or
Rt97 from Matamoras to Hancock with Lunch at the Circle E Diner or
17 to 30 to the Old School House Inn & Restaurant in Downsville NY are favorites on the West side.

I hope that is what you were after Bob, otherwise forget what I said and I'll just follow you for a GREAT Cheese Danish and slice of Apple Pie again.
Piggyback on Dans idea.....continue north on 28 out of Woodstock past Margaretville then Rt 30 South and a trip around the Pepactin Reservoir leading us back to Rt 17 near the PA line

shortleg0521
01-06-2017, 01:13 PM
You can also look at Gettysburg, lots of history and great ride through the area
of the battlefield.

wjduke
01-06-2017, 02:37 PM
You can also look at Gettysburg, lots of history and great ride through the area
of the battlefield.

I would love that trip. It was my brothers best vacation ever, but he's a Lincoln/Civil War buff....for you southerners, he's a "Northern Aggression" buff. You can tell this yankee has been down south.

Bob Penn
01-07-2017, 08:49 AM
See there, there's all sorts of great ideas for rides.

Here's one follow up to the Gettysburg ride www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/[/url] idea, but that does lock us into a specific date and it wouldn't happen until July. Who's up for it then?

An earlier ride could be planned for either our usual meeting spot at the I-84 PA border rest stop around March 26 weather permitting. That's about when we started planning last year. We finally got the ride in around middle May. If it is planned for the cool early season I would recommend heading south (it could mean a 5 to 10 degree difference) back down to the Apple Pie bakery for danish at the Water Gap then on up to the Hotel for dinner. Then again I don't know how much weight an F6B can carry.

If it's later in the season or warmer head north up 97 as suggested by Dan. I like the way he thinks he mentioned a number of eateries we could test ride. It is a good thing we ride the bikes we ride.

As was mentioned there is a place out in western PA marketed as the "PA Grand Canyon" (due a Google) on rt 6. That one would have to be an overnight-er. But it could be combined with a stop at the state Elk park. Google!

Another overnight-er might be up into the Finger lakes region. However there might be some wine drinking involved.

One of my planned rides this year will be up to Laconia for bike week and then continue up to Mount Washington for a picnic around June 13.

OK, who's up for what and what dates should we start to planning for?

zzh54
01-07-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm in, all the rides listed sounds good to me. I enjoy the reservoir rides but that is planned when the weather is a little warmer.
Gettysburg and the Pa Grand Canyon are going to be overnights, so that's a little more planning.

The first ride we did last year with Bob, Bob, Wayne and myself was a good day run.

As everyone else here I have some personal stuff to do, but I try not to let that get in my riding way. I will make the rides I can, and wish I made the rides I can't

bob109
01-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I'm in, all the rides listed sounds good to me. I enjoy the reservoir rides but that is planned when the weather is a little warmer.
Gettysburg and the Pa Grand Canyon are going to be overnights, so that's a little more planning.

The first ride we did last year with Bob, Bob, Wayne and myself was a good day run.

As everyone else here I have some personal stuff to do, but I try not to let that get in my riding way. I will make the rides I can, and wish I made the rides I can't

Last years first ride was great, as was the pie and sandwiches:icon_wink:

tpwood
01-07-2017, 11:36 PM

I used to ride the PA Grand Canyon years ago, great ride along Rt 6, highly recommended. I'd be up for that one too.
As far as Gettysburg Bike Week, I parked bikes for 5 years straight there, great if you ride a Harley, it's all tailored for them, not allot to do really except walk around, look at parts and goodies and drink beer. Only live 15 miles away from Gettysburg. I'll pass on that one, but could meet up with a group for some good rides around the area if you decide to go.
Tim

wjduke
01-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Believe it or not, the only ride I wouldn't be into is the Laconia, Mt Washington. I've been to Laconia, and it just isn't my kind of day. I want to ride, not walk around banging into people and being in bumper to bumper traffic. What I heard about Mt Washington makes me want to say no thanks. I'd go for the ride, but you guys can do the climb. I'd repeat our first ride for starters, and simply say count me in for whatever else comes along. I've been to the Finger Lakes region too....fantastic up there. I haven't been to northern VT yet either.

zzh54
01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
All rides are good, but I'm with the others, I don't do crowds well. I've done and I'm done with the likes of Daytona, If that's where you want to meet to go riding that's fine.

We could repeat our first year ride from last year, or something similar, like a dry run for those not sure how long it takes to get to the meeting spot.

We could also ( for those in the area ) follow suite and start a ride to eat as a regular thing.

I am going to Mt Washington this year but it will probably be more towards August

wjduke
01-08-2017, 09:35 AM
My riding has been delayed a bit...:joke:

DMAGOLDRDR
01-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm in for a Mt Washington ride, I've done it before and enjoy the ride up, as long as it is NOT during Laconia. Way too many clowns, showoffs and new riders. Although the road is not difficult, it can be a challenge for new riders.

Delta
01-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I'm in for a Mt Washington ride, I've done it before and enjoy the ride up, as long as it is NOT during Laconia. Way too many clowns, showoffs and new riders. Although the road is not difficult, it can be a challenge for new riders.

Definitely don't do it during bike week. It's even worse when you get stuck behind the cagers in a traffic jam. Nothing like riding the clutch in the friction zone to the top.

Delta
01-08-2017, 10:08 AM
I used to ride the PA Grand Canyon years ago, great ride along Rt 6, highly recommended. I'd be up for that one too.
Tim

A few years ago a friend and I went camping out that way. During one of our side trips we stopped a little country store in the middle of no where. The owner asked us if we were there for the rattlesnake hunt! Who knew. We really enjoyed that area. Nice suggestion.

Bob Penn
01-08-2017, 01:08 PM
OK then let the planning begin!

The first ride will be definitely Sunday March 26 or April 2 or the 9th or the 16th or the first Sunday there after, when it doesn't rain snow, hail or I run the risk of freezing my butt to the seat. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

The plan will be to meet at the reception area off I-84 in Matamoras, PA. @ 10 am depart at 10:30. Then follow the signs north or south, or maybe even east or west just to eat and BS. Of course this is all subject to change except for the eating and BS-ing part.

Now, for the second ride? How many weeks should we allow between rides or should we just pick a date and ride?

Any suggestions or preferences on dates to schedule the canyon ride or the lakes ride or maybe northern Vermont? Remember the canyon and the lakes rides will be 2 days Saturday and Sunday rides!

Maybe Tim can suggest the best time of year to visit the Gettysburg Park ride the area and see the history. Heck, living in the area maybe he could suggest the best places to eat down there. After all this gang has been known to spend more on food then gas.

That bring to mind another possible ride to Southern NJ or Maryland for all you can eat crabs. Food makes my mind and bike wonder!

Bob Penn
01-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Hey Bob, when or should I say are you coming back up this way? I'll keep the hotel and bakery open for you !!:039:

wjduke
01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Feels good to just have something booked, look forward to....

53driver
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Feels good to just have something booked, look forward to....

...always...

bob109
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Hey Bob, when or should I say are you coming back up this way? I'll keep the hotel and bakery open for you !!:039:

Bob!

I anticipate leaving Florida the last week of April! History has taught me returning mid April gets me a greeting of cold temps, rain and on occasion flurries. I'll give "Mother Nature" time to "wash" all the roads of anti-skid and salt. PENDOT may even have time to fix some "potholes" with their additional 8 cent per gallon gas tax:icon_doh:

DMAGOLDRDR
01-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Sunday March 26 is now on my Calendar.

Bob Penn
01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Bob!

I anticipate leaving Florida the last week of April! History has taught me returning mid April gets me a greeting of cold temps, rain and on occasion flurries. I'll give "Mother Nature" time to "wash" all the roads of anti-skid and salt. PENDOT may even have time to fix some "potholes" with their additional 8 cent per gallon gas tax:icon_doh:

So I should plan a ride for the second Sunday in May, ending with a welcome home party of multiple lunch stops?

Turns out the previous 50 cents per gallon was used to hire more state troopers. So now they needed that new 8 cents pg. to improve the roads so you can speed up and give those troopers something to do. Not to worry though, Gov. Wolfy's latest plan is to close 2 local state prisons. The bad news is you'll need a place to stay but at least they won't lock you up, it will only be a matter of transferring some funds to the state coffers.
Now there is a politician with a complete plan. :banghead:

Bob Penn
01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Sunday March 26 is now on my Calendar.
Thanks for confirming your interest! Glad to have you aboard, but you do understand that's only the first date suggested. Last year we started out with a similar March date and finally rode in mid May.:duck:

Now about that second Sunday in May?:icon_lol:

DMAGOLDRDR
01-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks for confirming your interest! Glad to have you aboard, but you do understand that's only the first date suggested. Last year we started out with a similar March date and finally rode in mid May.:duck:

Now about that second Sunday in May?:icon_lol:

Well to be Honest I have every Sunday marked for riding. I just marked this ride as a special event, as you guys are special.... And I don't just mean the "don't eat the paste" kind of special.. ;) ;)

tpwood
01-12-2017, 08:35 PM
A few years ago a friend and I went camping out that way. During one of our side trips we stopped a little country store in the middle of no where. The owner asked us if we were there for the rattlesnake hunt! Who knew. We really enjoyed that area. Nice suggestion.

I saw a mountain lion cross the road in front of me on my bike right about 12 noon one year. PA game commission still denies any mountain lions in the state, big controversy here.

tpwood
01-12-2017, 08:40 PM
OK then let the planning begin!

The first ride will be definitely Sunday March 26 or April 2 or the 9th or the 16th or the first Sunday there after, when it doesn't rain snow, hail or I run the risk of freezing my butt to the seat. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

The plan will be to meet at the reception area off I-84 in Matamoras, PA. @ 10 am depart at 10:30. Then follow the signs north or south, or maybe even east or west just to eat and BS. Of course this is all subject to change except for the eating and BS-ing part.

Now, for the second ride? How many weeks should we allow between rides or should we just pick a date and ride?

Any suggestions or preferences on dates to schedule the canyon ride or the lakes ride or maybe northern Vermont? Remember the canyon and the lakes rides will be 2 days Saturday and Sunday rides!

Maybe Tim can suggest the best time of year to visit the Gettysburg Park ride the area and see the history. Heck, living in the area maybe he could suggest the best places to eat down there. After all this gang has been known to spend more on food then gas.

That bring to mind another possible ride to Southern NJ or Maryland for all you can eat crabs. Food makes my mind and bike wonder!

Yep can give you all suggestions and places to eat for the area and some good roads, sometime in May would probably be about the best time, school is not out so we wouldn't run into the crowds yet and if the weather is a dry May it would be a good time.

Bob Penn
01-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Great, thanks for the quick come back.

Now how about a vote for the best day. Either Sunday the 7th of May or the 21st. The 14th is Mothers day and that May (there's a joke in there somewhere) be a problem for some.

We could plan for the 7th and rain or cold weather date it for the 21st.

Now for the important stuff! Where are we going to eat and what's on the menu??

wjduke
01-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Let's make sure we get the March date in first....anything like last year and any May dates "may" be taken.

Bob Penn
01-14-2017, 06:34 AM
Let's make sure we get the March date in first....anything like last year and any May dates "may" be taken.

Dam pessimist!

Dream, Dream Drrrrreeeeam. Now If I could only put a catchy tune to it you'd let me finish my nap. :icon_lol:

Delta
01-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Dam pessimist!

Dream, Dream Drrrrreeeeam. Now If I could only put a catchy tune to it you'd let me finish my nap. :icon_lol:

C / Am / F / G

wjduke
01-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Does anyone besides me see the weather for Saturday? I'm off from work, have all day, and would love an early season ride someplace! I'm up for ideas....if not, I'm doing my own thing here! 50 degrees and no rain forecast can't slip away in the middle of January.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Does anyone besides me see the weather for Saturday? I'm off from work, have all day, and would love an early season ride someplace! I'm up for ideas....if not, I'm doing my own thing here! 50 degrees and no rain forecast can't slip away in the middle of January.

I have to work Saturday or I would join you. I hope Sunday stays dry enough for me to get out.

Bob Penn
01-22-2017, 10:32 AM
I don't know how you guys feel about sipping wine and riding but they do offer a destination and maybe some cheese.

I was at the Split Rock Lodge Gun show yesterday and there was a representative from the PA wine industry there who handed me a brochure + map showing the 216 PA. wineries in the state that offer tastings and other events. Google pennsylvaniawine.com and let me know what you think about the possibility of a ride destination.

Another interesting and maybe necessary destination is the Bason's coffee roasting facility just outside of Bloomsburg, PA where they demonstrate their fine art of roasting coffee and offer sample tastings of the various types and roasts from around the world. Google Bason's coffee.

I have no first hand experience and can't recommend either but I'm willing to sacrifice myself and do some sampling research if there is interest. Oh hell I'll be researching these even if there is no interest.

Dam! There I go again 2 track mind riding and stuffing my face!

53driver
01-22-2017, 10:48 AM
I've got a Google map direction PDF for a covered bridge trip that includes 5 bridges and goes from Pipersville PA to Frenchtown, PA.
I'll email it to anyone who wants.
Cheers,
Steve

Baboone
01-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Hello from Paris in France !

Lucky men !

Can you wait after me ? The problem is not that it's a very long road for coming but you must know that I'll be probably in late because I drink more my motorcycle ! :yikes:

Woh .. it would be really a dream to be with you ... :banana:

Bob Penn
01-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Hello from Paris in France !

Lucky men !

Can you wait after me ? The problem is not that it's a very long road for coming but you must know that I'll be probably in late because I drink more my motorcycle ! :yikes:

Woh .. it would be really a dream to be with you ... :banana:

We would love to have you join us anytime.
A dream is a destination planned by your heart. Only your own determination can make a dream come true.
A F6B will help.

Bob Penn
01-24-2017, 02:25 PM
I've got a Google map direction PDF for a covered bridge trip that includes 5 bridges and goes from Pipersville PA to Frenchtown, PA.
I'll email it to anyone who wants.
Cheers,
Steve

There's another great idea for a ride. Just a matter of finding enough interest and a few good places to eat at along the way.

Steve, It's not easy to stir these guys up!

Maybe this will help. Saturday on the way home we ate at the Hotel, the tang of horseradish on the burger was great and the sweet potato fry's made me long for March 26!!!:icon_wink:

Bob Penn
02-26-2017, 08:06 AM
I don't know what happened to the rest of this thread but we seem to be missing quite a few comments.

The whole discussion including the off shoot thread on Americade are currently gone.

wjduke
02-26-2017, 07:00 PM
There was an update done to the site. Things were messed up for a while. Maybe still are.

Reedman71
02-27-2017, 01:06 PM
If you are ever near Lancaster Pa, I have an open invitation for a place to sleep, garage for your bike, and a hot shower. You just have to give me a heads up.

After being most everywhere, I think we have some of the best roads to be found anywhere for riding.

willtill
02-27-2017, 03:13 PM
There was an update done to the site. Things were messed up for a while. Maybe still are.

Yep, still messed up. Even all of the info for the 2017 F6B Rally is missing.

Bob Penn
02-28-2017, 07:03 AM
If you are ever near Lancaster Pa, I have an open invitation for a place to sleep, garage for your bike, and a hot shower. You just have to give me a heads up.

After being most everywhere, I think we have some of the best roads to be found anywhere for riding.

Likewise, why don't you plan on coming up to the Pocono's and joining us on March 26 for our initial ride of 2017 weather permitting. Last year we had 14 F6B's on the ride.

Yes, Lancaster, is a beautiful riding area. I used to hunt pheasants down there, back in the 70's. Maybe we could put together a ride down there, through the Amish country.

Mazilla
02-28-2017, 10:42 PM
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum! I am interested in the day ride to the Pocono's!!
And the Gettysburg mention sounds awesome too, I always wanted to go there!

53driver
03-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum! I am interested in the day ride to the Pocono's!!
And the Gettysburg mention sounds awesome too, I always wanted to go there!

Welcome Mazilla!
We have another rider in RI.
wjduke, aka "Wayne."
RI is like what, 10 acres?
Y'all are probably neighbors!

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
03-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Welcome Mazilla!
We have another rider in RI.
wjduke, aka "Wayne."
RI is like what, 10 acres?
Y'all are probably neighbors!

Cheers,
Steve

We ( me and Teach ) met her and her husband in Newport and plan to ride now. I mentioned that I had another rider or two for this ride, and Maz was one....maybe her hubby too?? She's just down the road a bit Steve...20-30 minutes and two bridges.

53driver
03-01-2017, 09:50 AM
We ( me and Teach ) met her and her husband in Newport and plan to ride now. I mentioned that I had another rider or two for this ride, and Maz was one....maybe her hubby too?? She's just down the road a bit Steve...20-30 minutes and two bridges.

Cool! It sounds like the NE is all on the same page.
Most excellent.

Y'all have fun & mind the potholes.
Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
03-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Cool! It sounds like the NE is all on the same page.
Most excellent.

Y'all have fun & mind the potholes.
Cheers,
Steve

Winter is coming back this weekend, hopefully for the last time...pothole season is here!

Mazilla
03-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Winter is coming back this weekend, hopefully for the last time...pothole season is here!

Yes, 50 degrees today and raining/high winds and Saturday the forecast is for a day time high of 29 DEGREES AND SNOW!! OH NOOOOOOO!

My husband works a lot (he is a Firefighter), so I will be looking for F6B friends to ride with this season!!

wjduke
03-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Yes, 50 degrees today and raining/high winds and Saturday the forecast is for a day time high of 29 DEGREES AND SNOW!! OH NOOOOOOO!

My husband works a lot (he is a Firefighter), so I will be looking for F6B friends to ride with this season!!

Ya, I won't be out this weekend...bummer. After this, I'm out all the time...we'll ride for sure!

DMAGOLDRDR
03-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Do you RI folks know when Aunt Carries opens, I'm lookin forward to one of their Lobster Rolls.

wjduke
03-02-2017, 05:17 AM
As small and as close to RI I am, I never heard of the place....must be way down at the beaches near CT.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
As small and as close to RI I am, I never heard of the place....must be way down at the beaches near CT.

Yup, opposite end of RI for you.
Aunt Carries is in Narragansett heading out to Point Judith.

wjduke
03-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Yup, opposite end of RI for you.
Aunt Carries is in Narragansett heading out to Point Judith.

I'll have to check it out next time down there. We went to a beach club last summer on a ride, but I don't recall the name. No shortage of those down that way!

DMAGOLDRDR
03-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Hey Bob. Is this still the plan ???

Sunday March 26 at the reception area off I-84 in Matamoras, PA. @ 10 am

Only a few weeks away...

Bob Penn
03-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Only a few weeks away...

I believe it is. From there no definite planned route of travel has been laid out to date. My vote is to head south down SR-209 through the park to a warmer climate and a donut.

But be forewarned, Yesterday I lost power for 13 hours at the house and was living off the generator in 70 mph winds.
Tomorrow's forecast is for a beautiful sunny day with daytime high temps in the mid to lower 30's. Unfortunately, the night time temperature will be a tad cooler around 5 degrees is the forecast. Please remind me to wash my long Johns!

The good news is, this past Tuesday I got out of bed and took a nice leisurely ride in temps in the mid 60's. Go figure!!

It's springtime in the Poconos!!

wjduke
03-03-2017, 08:31 AM
I believe it is. From there no definite planned route of travel has been laid out to date. My vote is to head south down SR-209 through the park to a warmer climate and a donut.

But be forewarned, Yesterday I lost power for 13 hours at the house and was living off the generator in 70 mph winds.
Tomorrow's forecast is for a beautiful sunny day with daytime high temps in the mid to lower 30's. Unfortunately, the night time temperature will be a tad cooler around 5 degrees is the forecast. Please remind me to wash my long Johns!

The good news is, this past Tuesday I got out of bed and took a nice leisurely ride in temps in the mid 60's. Go figure!!

It's springtime in the Poconos!!
According to the weather people...and I use that term loosely...end of March temps should be warmer than normal. Now...we haven't mentioned the "R" word...

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2017, 08:43 AM
According to the weather people...and I use that term loosely...end of March temps should be warmer than normal. Now...we haven't mentioned the "R" word...

Easy now rider,,,, no need to bring four letter words like that up just yet.. Lets keep thinking dry thoughts.

wjduke
03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Easy now rider,,,, no need to bring four letter words like that up just yet.. Lets keep thinking dry thoughts.

I only used one letter!

Bob Penn
03-04-2017, 08:00 AM
I only used one letter!

Yes, But you do have a reputation for being an environmentalist and washing your bike on the move usually on the interstates!

Good news, it only went down to 9 last night. Bad news, it's supposed to go lower tonight!
Good news, there is supposed to be a warm up this week, and as stated above, the long range forecast is for above normal temps for the rest of the month.

Please keep your tidiness tendencies to weekday use only.

Note: You will be marked for spelling errors!

wjduke
03-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Yes, But you do have a reputation for being an environmentalist and washing your bike on the move usually on the interstates!

Good news, it only went down to 9 last night. Bad news, it's supposed to go lower tonight!
Good news, there is supposed to be a warm up this week, and as stated above, the long range forecast is for above normal temps for the rest of the month.

Please keep your tidiness tendencies to weekday use only.

Note: You will be marked for spelling errors!

Let's just hope it warms up a bit....I won't mention the other word. Would like to ride in the 50's at least!

Delta
03-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Let's just hope it warms up a bit....I won't mention the other word. Would like to ride in the 50's at least!

Gonna be a long chilly ride home after darkness sets in.

Bob Penn
03-05-2017, 08:40 AM
I have 4 thermometers spread around the house just to be sure. This morning they were all in agreement within a tenth of a degree. It was indeed 2 degrees!!
But the sun was indeed shining. So I put another log on the fire and went back to bed. Life is good! (I-Cons not working)
I figure we don't have to worry about the "R" word but the "S" and "I" word could be problematic.

Sunday morning's long range forecast is still for above normal temps with a possibility of free bike washes in Massachusetts.

Mazilla
03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Do you RI folks know when Aunt Carries opens, I'm lookin forward to one of their Lobster Rolls.

Try "Iggy's" chowda house, right next door to Aunt Carries in Narragansett! I believe it is open year round!
http://www.iggysdoughboys.com/

Delta
03-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Only a few weeks away...

20 days away and they are predicting single digit temps again for this weekend and S***! Got permission from the CEO to run with you guys, though it's about a 300 mile trip. It will be a good ice breaker / spring tune up ride for my Rolling Thunder trek. But man, single digits.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Try "Iggy's" chowda house, right next door to Aunt Carries in Narragansett! I believe it is open year round!
http://www.iggysdoughboys.com/

Good to know, thanks

DMAGOLDRDR
03-06-2017, 08:43 PM
20 days away and they are predicting single digit temps again for this weekend and S***! Got permission from the CEO to run with you guys, though it's about a 300 mile trip. It will be a good ice breaker / spring tune up ride for my Rolling Thunder trek. But man, single digits.

Think spring...

wjduke
03-07-2017, 07:37 AM

The good thing is that it's still three weekends away. I'm not riding in 40 degree temps for 4 hours each way. I'm hoping for mid 50's at least. March is a little ambitious for this ride, but I'm all for it. I have a goal of 15,000 miles this year with no long trips planned. I'm less than 1,000 in since January.

Bob Penn
03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
The good thing is that it's still three weekends away. I'm not riding in 40 degree temps for 4 hours each way. I'm hoping for mid 50's at least. March is a little ambitious for this ride, but I'm all for it. I have a goal of 15,000 miles this year with no long trips planned. I'm less than 1,000 in since January.

The good news is today's and tomorrow's forecast is for temps in the mid 50's. Both days are made for you! They both include free heavy duty bike washes.
I had an uncle who worked his entire life outdoors as a carpenter. He always said winters not over until March 15. That explains this mornings forecast for the weekend. Highs in the 30's lows around 9 with snow.
Wednesday is the 15th. Long range forecast back to the 50's
Now if we can only get you to ride a dirty bike all will be fine.

wjduke
03-07-2017, 10:42 AM
The good news is today's and tomorrow's forecast is for temps in the mid 50's. Both days are made for you! They both include free heavy duty bike washes.
I had an uncle who worked his entire life outdoors as a carpenter. He always said winters not over until March 15. That explains this mornings forecast for the weekend. Highs in the 30's lows around 9 with snow.
Wednesday is the 15th. Long range forecast back to the 50's
Now if we can only get you to ride a dirty bike all will be fine.

Funny stuff.....my bike has been washed once since I've had it and my friend did it!

Bob Penn
03-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Funny stuff.....my bike has been washed once since I've had it and my friend did it!

That's what I've been saying Mother Nature seems to be your friend !!

But please plan to ride 1 up on the 26. Or at least find another date. We only have seventeen days to go!

Forecast for today temps in upper 40's. Tonight 2" of snow, temps in the 20's. Friday night low of 10 degrees.

bob109
03-09-2017, 08:02 AM

But please plan to ride 1 up on the 26. Or at least find another date. We only have seventeen days to go!

Forecast for today temps in upper 40's. Tonight 2" of snow, temps in the 20's. Friday night low of 10 degrees.

Quit complaining and move to Florida:>):>):>):>)

wjduke
03-09-2017, 09:13 AM

We have 3-6 forecast with more next Tuesday and Wednesday....temps aren't leaving the 40's for the next 2 weeks. I hope to see some mid to upper 50's before I have a 12 hour ride to do!

Bob Penn
03-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Quit complaining and move to Florida:>):>):>):>)

Bob, don't get me wrong, I ain't complaining. I've already had 4 days of riding in 60+ degrees so far this year. Even if it did interfere with my nap time.

I just enjoy giving condolences to those less fortunate working stiffs who keep our country going by riding on a forced schedule and usually in the rain, snow, or cold.

As far as moving to Florida goes. That ain't ever going to happen. I think I mentioned before I use to run my boat down to Key West every winter for 8 years back in the 80s when it was still nice down there. Now it's just one big flat strip mall from Jacksonville south!! Then if you stay down there from May until November it's too hot to ride in the day light between the freshet showers. Worst of all the pitter patter of rain drops hitting the bike changes to the split splat of bugs hitting your face shield and marring the bike's finish.

Bob Penn
03-10-2017, 07:56 AM
We have 3-6 forecast with more next Tuesday and Wednesday....temps aren't leaving the 40's for the next 2 weeks. I hope to see some mid to upper 50's before I have a 12 hour ride to do!

How does Sunday, April 2, look for you? You know the day after April fool's day!! (Damn the icons still not working LOL.)

wjduke
03-10-2017, 08:32 AM
How does Sunday, April 2, look for you? You know the day after April fool's day!! (Damn the icons still not working LOL.)

Don't cancel on my behalf....if it's nice enough for you, go for it. If it's nice enough for me, I'll be there.

Bob Penn
03-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Don't cancel on my behalf....if it's nice enough for you, go for it. If it's nice enough for me, I'll be there.

You know I won't cancel until Wed. the 22, two days after the equinox, and the official first day of spring. I'm just trying to get a feel for the majorities schedules.

If it helps I definitely canceled this morning ride. There is 10" of new snow on the ground and it's 6 degrees outside. Now I just have to decide should I go to the St."P" parade in Scranton or do I go cross country skiing? Maybe a morning nap will make my decision making easier.

How does May 7th look????

wjduke
03-11-2017, 01:11 PM
2 Sunday's I can't make...April 30, and May 21st. All others are doable.

Bob Penn
03-12-2017, 06:58 AM
2 Sunday's I can't make...April 30, and May 21st. All others are doable.

Thanks Wayne, at least we now have a promise of at least 2 days of temps in the mid 70's and totally rain free!

Today's forecast: This morning, as I write this, it's 6 degrees F warming to 28 later this afternoon. Tomorrow morning should be warmer in the lower 20's. UPS is currently scheduled to deliver 10 to 16" of snow starting in the evening.
The delivery is only a little late by about 2 months.

Where should we go on May 7th ??

wjduke
03-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Well, are we ruling out April? This month doesn't look good right now. I want to ride...anywhere, anyplace, the sooner the better. We're getting a blizzard Tuesday. This will set back riding for me for two weeks. Not too happy!

Bob Penn
03-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Well, are we ruling out April? This month doesn't look good right now. I want to ride...anywhere, anyplace, the sooner the better. We're getting a blizzard Tuesday. This will set back riding for me for two weeks. Not too happy!

Now you went and did it! I was hoping on sneaking up on April and purposely did not mention riding in it. Last year we planned through March and April but didn't get the ride in until mid May. I believe last year's thread was one of this site's longest. Notice I didn't mention June.

PS: I still haven't ruled out, March 26. The long range forecast looks perfect!

Bob Penn
03-15-2017, 06:03 AM
OK, it's starting to look a lot like Christmas now! We got 30" of fresh snow yesterday on top of the 10" we had and this morning it's 9 degrees outside. I probably won't be riding or washing my bike today.
If you think we have it bad you should see the poor deer. Not only do they have snow above their chest but they are now leaving tracks in the snow with 4 hoffs and 2 testicles.

The 26 is now starting to look doubtful. Maybe we should start looking seriously at April 2 ?

wjduke
03-15-2017, 07:58 AM
OK, it's starting to look a lot like Christmas now! We got 30" of fresh snow yesterday on top of the 10" we had and this morning it's 9 degrees outside. I probably won't be riding or washing my bike today.
If you think we have it bad you should see the poor deer. Not only do they have snow above their chest but they are now leaving tracks in the snow with 4 hoffs and 2 testicles.

The 26 is now starting to look doubtful. Maybe we should start looking seriously at April 2 ?

Ok by me.....the 26th shows rain/snow and 40 degrees. I was out either way.

Bob Penn
03-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Ok by me.....the 26th shows rain/snow and 40 degrees. I was out either way.

AHHH, Wayne your getting old!!

I remember a guy who rode all the way back to MA. in a torrential downpour just to prove his insanity.

This mornings forecast is for temps in the 50's for next Saturday and a possibility for 60's on Sunday the 26. That would make it ridable except for the 3 feet of snow and what we are going to do with the run off. That does make Sunday April 2 sound much better.

Now we just have to find out who among the remaining fools, left over from the day before, are willing to ride with us on April 2.

Damn Icons are still not working

wjduke
03-18-2017, 09:06 AM
AHHH, Wayne your getting old!!

I remember a guy who rode all the way back to MA. in a torrential downpour just to prove his insanity.

This mornings forecast is for temps in the 50's for next Saturday and a possibility for 60's on Sunday the 26. That would make it ridable except for the 3 feet of snow and what we are going to do with the run off. That does make Sunday April 2 sound much better.

Now we just have to find out who among the remaining fools, left over from the day before, are willing to ride with us on April 2.

Damn Icons are still not working

I always said, don't change the ride for me. That ride in the rain is the reason for my decision! We have rain forecast and 40's for next Sunday. If it changes, and it is 60, I'll be in. Have to wait a few more days.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-18-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm still in just let me know what Sunday.

Bob Penn
03-19-2017, 07:45 AM
I always said, don't change the ride for me. That ride in the rain is the reason for my decision! We have rain forecast and 40's for next Sunday. If it changes, and it is 60, I'll be in. Have to wait a few more days.

Your decisions are obviously based on experience and pain. We thank you and honor you by willingly changing our plans to avoid the pains you have endured.
That's how we chickens learn without ruffling our feathers.

The forecast for today is sunny with temps in the 40's. Perfect for some cross country skiing and finishing off the corn beef and cabbage leftovers. And maybe even a beer or 2. Not so much for bike riding but that fun will come!

Bob Penn
03-19-2017, 08:06 AM
I'm still in just let me know what Sunday.

It will definitely be the first sunny Sunday with temps above 59 degrees. I can only suggest you check in every Wednesday for a definite "maybe"!

Now if we could just get a few others to commit to maybes.

Delta
03-19-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm good to go when temps are above 50* and partly sunny. My only concern is the weather between here and there. Hopefully there will have been a few good rain storms by then to have washed any sand and chemicals away. Read any interesting article the other day that said that the brine being used now is worse than the road salt that was being used. It's much more corrosive, especially when wet.

Bob Penn
03-22-2017, 05:58 AM
The official local forecast for this coming weekend puts the temp for Sat. the 25 @ 50 degrees. Sunday is cooler with the strong possibility of rain.

So unless there's some intervention from the Gods or protest by the riders Sunday's planned ride is officially moved to April 2.

The long range forecast is for above normal temps next week! We live in hope.

wjduke
03-22-2017, 07:02 AM
I'm hopeful, but long range here calls for rain...things change! We're starting this season like last :(

wjduke
03-23-2017, 06:33 AM
April 2nd has promise....55, partly cloudy. See if it holds!

Bob Penn
03-23-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm hopeful, but long range here calls for rain...things change! We're starting this season like last :(

Not to worry May is only 1 month and 1 week away and I hear we have at least 2 good weekends we can make plans for.

wjduke
03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
This weather watching thing sux already....it's winter here today anyway, biking isn't on my mind. Well, that's a lie, but actual riding isn't.

Bob Penn
03-25-2017, 07:13 AM
The forecast for today is temps in the high 50's to 60 with a chance of Wayne. Tomorrow will be in the 40's. and wet

Maybe we did the right thing in moving our first ride of 17 to next week. Check back in on Wednesday for the details on the road washing schedule for April 2.

Right now the long range forecast looks good. All this week daily temps will be in the high 50's and touching 60 on couple of those days.

wjduke
03-25-2017, 08:21 AM
The forecast for today is temps in the high 50's to 60 with a chance of Wayne. Tomorrow will be in the 40's. and wet

Maybe we did the right thing in moving our first ride of 17 to next week. Check back in on Wednesday for the details on the road washing schedule for April 2.

Right now the long range forecast looks good. All this week daily temps will be in the high 50's and touching 60 on couple of those days.

You'd love a chance of Wayne....lol
Next Sunday goes back and forth from partly sunny to rain...hoping.

Bob Penn
03-27-2017, 07:32 AM
It's Wayne today and Wayne tomorrow, and Wayne the next day! As an old man, running out of time, I hope you don't mind me changing your name and calling you Sunny?

The long range forecast for Sunday here is, Temps in the mid to high 50's with a Sunny day.

wjduke
03-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Long range here is 53 and cloudy Sunday...next 7 days show all rain. I love it here.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-27-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm still good for this Sunday, mid 50s doesn't sound bad.

We were pretty lucky this winter, it looks like March will be the only Month I did not get in a ride.

wjduke
03-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm still good for this Sunday, mid 50s doesn't sound bad.

We were pretty lucky this winter, it looks like March will be the only Month I did not get in a ride.

I got in a few small rides. I'll do mid 50's...that's the min. for me on a long day like that. Guess we'll be well into April to see a 60 or better.

wjduke
03-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Delta and Jeff (zzh)....I tried to pm, but it didn't go through. If this ride goes off Sunday, do you guys want to ride in together? Delta, maybe we can meet where 691 and 84 intersect. MapQuest shows exit 26 before Waterbury about 2 hours from me...we'd have to meet up around 7:30. I know Jeff is at Beacon, NY exit 11....meet there around 9 as in the past. Waterbury to Beacon is just about 1-1/2 hours. I'll be leaving here about 5:30. Temps in PA look decent but I'll be starting off around 38...chilly ride out. I think I'll be solo. Maz is away, and I think it'll be too cold for my other friend who rides a Vic CC. Need to check with him.

Let me know here or text at 5083537748

Wayne

Delta
03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Looking pretty glum up this way. Friday is 90% chance of snow with 1 - 3 inches. Friday night 100% chance of junk. Saturday is 70% a.m. rain/snow. Saturday night clearing late with the temps a balmy 29*. If this report holds true through the weekend I'll have to pass. I don't mind dressing in layers trying to keep warm, but I don't want to look like the Michelin Man either. My initial plan was to ride down Saturday and grab a room in Matamoras. Then meet with you guys on 4/2. I like to allow 6 - 7 hours from NH to there. Since my operation hopefully my bathroom breaks will be fewer. Hopefully the forecast will change.

wjduke
03-28-2017, 04:55 PM
My forecast looks better than that. Rain Friday and Saturday and so far Sunday is hanging at 53 and some clouds. No snow. It's gonna be cold to start. I'm so hopped on a ride that as of now I'm planning on it. I totally understand your position. If my end gets worse, I'll be out too.

zzh54
03-29-2017, 05:17 AM
I can not make Sunday's ride, my plans got interrupted by the medical field. Hope to be up and running soon. Enjoy the ride, post some pics of what I'm missing.

wjduke
03-29-2017, 05:33 AM
Well, it's a straight shot for me! It's on Bob to confirm. My weather is holding at mid 50's, sun, clouds. It's going to rain as late as Saturday afternoon. Just hope for dry roads by morning. Hope a few guys can make it. I don't want to be alone with Bob Penn! :) I'm in as of now. Thanks Jeff, catch you on the next one.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-29-2017, 06:53 AM
I'm still in.

Wayne, let me know when your passing thru Danbury ( I think last time was 8:30 maybe? ) . We can meet at the gas station off exit #8 of I84 again. If I remember you will have 170 miles or so and need fuel to make PA anyway.

Bob Penn
03-29-2017, 08:59 AM
This mornings forecast is showing rain on Friday ending early on Saturday morning. Temps. in the mid 50's. There's a good chance, Sunny will be here on Sunday, with temps in the mid 50's by afternoon. Monday looks perfect, sunny with temps in the 60's. That's scary, sunny maybe sticking around until Monday. Is there a break down in the future?

Excuse me I have to go check out my bike. I want to be sure I can out run the rain. I especially don't want to be alone with him. I hear he's into dirty bike riding leading to wet unnatural perverted rides. My bike doesn't run that way she's only into clean dry normal rides! :-)

So maybe we should all check back in on Friday for a final decision.

PS How does the 9th look for either an alternative date or possibly a second ride? Easter is the 16 so the next realistic date would be the 23.

wjduke
03-29-2017, 09:23 AM
I'd love to switch to Monday, but short notice for work and quite frankly, Sunday looks better here. Monday would be a colder day. Let me know. I'm doing oil and gear oil change beforehand either way...I'll be ready.

vmaxed
03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
If Sunny there on Sunday i'm in :)

DMAGOLDRDR
03-30-2017, 06:16 AM

Good to hear Ed,,,keep me posted and we'll meet at Exit 8 again.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-30-2017, 06:19 AM
I can not make Sunday's ride, my plans got interrupted by the medical field. Hope to be up and running soon. Enjoy the ride, post some pics of what I'm missing.

I hope it's nothing serious Jeff, and your back at it quickly.

wjduke
03-30-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm still in.

Wayne, let me know when your passing thru Danbury ( I think last time was 8:30 maybe? ) . We can meet at the gas station off exit #8 of I84 again. If I remember you will have 170 miles or so and need fuel to make PA anyway.

I'd love to...8:30 will be tight. I need to leave at 5:30...you're 3 hours away. I hope the roads will be dry. I could book it and not hold you up.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-30-2017, 09:20 AM
I'd love to...8:30 will be tight. I need to leave at 5:30...you're 3 hours away. I hope the roads will be dry. I could book it and not hold you up.

8:30 - 9:00 what ever time you can get there is fine. Won't leave without you.

We met there before but just to confirm
Interstate 84 Exit #8 in Danbury. At the end of the ramp you will see a Mobil and right next to it a Global. The Global has inside seating and a coffee shop so I will wait at the Global.
From there it is 80 miles to the PA line (about 1 hr 20 min.)

203-733-five five eight eight ... if anything comes up.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Same thing for you ED

Interstate 84 Exit #8 in Danbury. At the end of the ramp you will see a Mobil and right next to it a Global. The Global has inside seating and a coffee shop so I will wait at the Global.

wjduke
03-30-2017, 10:13 AM

203-733-five five eight eight ... if anything comes up.

thanks...done deal. Pressure is on Bob now to make this happen :)

Bob Penn
03-31-2017, 07:35 AM
thanks...done deal. Pressure is on Bob now to make this happen :)

I feel pressure!! Oh, Oh, Oh, AAAH, That's a relief. Thank God it was only Gas. Senior diapers are expensive $

I won't make the final decision. I'll leave it up to those that have to travel the furthest. For me I only have to fall out of bed and ride 39 minutes in the morning chill to be there.

For guidance I will only offer the local forecast for Sunday. The morning temp will be around 32 degrees by the meeting time 10:30 am temp should be in the lower 40's warming up to 54 if sunny shows up as predicted in the early afternoon.

Now please state the mileage you'll be traveling and if you really want to do this!

The 9th will be the other option.

wjduke
03-31-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm ready to ride over 4 hours to get there with no heated gear. Mother Nature might have other ideas. It's supposed to precipitate maybe until close to midnight. I hope it leaves clear roads seeing as I have to roll out at 5:30. Let it go, I'll make every effort to make it. I want to very badly. I always said not to postpone on my account. Dan will get a message if I can't do it.

Dan...if you don't hear from me, I'm rolling.

Delta
03-31-2017, 08:32 AM
........Now please state the mileage you'll be traveling and if you really want to do this!

The 9th will be the other option.

275 miles. With the expected near freezing temps, water, ice, salt, and sand; I will have to pass on this one. :(

wjduke
03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Is this a contest? 239 for me....Delta wins

DMAGOLDRDR
03-31-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm ready to ride over 4 hours to get there with no heated gear. Mother Nature might have other ideas. It's supposed to precipitate maybe until close to midnight. I hope it leaves clear roads seeing as I have to roll out at 5:30. Let it go, I'll make every effort to make it. I want to very badly. I always said not to postpone on my account. Dan will get a message if I can't do it.

Dan...if you don't hear from me, I'm rolling.

I only have 80 mi or so to get to the meeting place and understand some of you folks have much cooler temps and possibly wet roads to ride to get out of your home town, so I will be watching the responses and keep an eye on my phone for messages !!!

I have never not ridden on a Sunday as long as it is DRY and over 35 deg so if this doesn't happen I will still be riding Sunday, instead of PA I will ride to NY to meet the usual bunch at 9am in NY and head up 22 for lunch in Copake NY.

wjduke
03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
I only have 80 mi or so to get to the meeting place and understand some of you folks have much cooler temps and possibly wet roads to ride to get out of your home town, so I will be watching the responses and keep an eye on my phone for messages !!!

I have never not ridden on a Sunday as long as it is DRY and over 35 deg so if this doesn't happen I will still be riding Sunday, instead of PA I will ride to NY to meet the usual bunch at 9am in NY and head up 22 for lunch in Copake NY.

It's supposed to be dry, just hoping dry enough early. I wouldn't think further north would be better...they're getting all snow, aren't they?

Bob Penn
04-01-2017, 06:35 AM
I woke up to a new half inch of snow on the ground this morning sprinkled with ice that fell off the tree branches thanks to the windy conditions last night !

The good news is they haven't changed the forecast for tomorrow yet. Still starting off in the low 30's and warming up to the mid 50's. Sunny boy is still supposed to show up in the AM and mix in with some dark clouds.

Please post your final decision tonight or tomorrow before 7 am so we know to wait for you or not.

HAPPY FOOLS DAY.

wjduke
04-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Clock is set for 4 am. If the roads are dry, I'll be rolling. It's gonna be 32. I don't need a black ice problem. Rain/ snow mix all day but might end now by 9pm. Just have to wait it out. I'll text Dan before he leaves if I'm out. No news means I'm rolling.

Bob Penn
04-01-2017, 04:44 PM
We have a problem Houston!!!

They are shutting this site down for repairs tonight.

So phones will be the only way to stay in contact.

wjduke
04-01-2017, 05:07 PM
I think we all have each other's numbers.

wjduke
04-01-2017, 05:10 PM
I thought that was last night. Either way...

vmaxed
04-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm not going to make it tomorrow...see you next ride.

wjduke
04-02-2017, 05:46 AM
I'm out today. Got out at 4:30, roads all wet and salted. It was 32 degrees.

willtill
04-02-2017, 06:19 AM
You boys have been leaning too far forward in the foxhole with riding expectations this early in the year; up here... but the season is now getting ready to break

DMAGOLDRDR
04-02-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm out today. Got out at 4:30, roads all wet and salted. It was 32 degrees.

I called and left Bob a message, I guess it was down to just me riding out to PA so I am changing my plans as well and hope we can try again next Sunday.

wjduke
04-02-2017, 07:21 AM
You boys have been leaning too far forward in the foxhole with riding expectations this early in the year; up here... but the season is now getting ready to break

It's all I got Will....any planned ride I can't make kills me. I was willing to freeze, but not get my bike full of salt.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-02-2017, 07:27 AM

March is the only Month I did not ride this entire winter. Even today I will ride, just now I will wait until 9am before heading out.

Bob Penn
04-02-2017, 08:36 AM
It's all I got Will....any planned ride I can't make kills me. I was willing to freeze, but not get my bike full of salt.

What's the matter with a little more salt in your diet? You could have left your bike outside. There's supposed to be a real down pour on Tuesday. It would have left your bike squeaky clean by your stated standards.

It's 9 am here and I got Dan's call. The temp is already 42 degrees and very sunny. The forecast has been updated, temperature at the bakery will be 65 by noon and sunny all day. I guess I mite as well go directly there.

Oh well, I'll have to eat your croissant this week.

Now about next week, the 9th. Who's in?

This could get very fattening!!

wjduke
04-02-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm in again. Another repeat of last year. I told Dan it was going to great if we could have gotten there.

wjduke
04-02-2017, 04:49 PM
I managed 130 today despite the salt laid down this morning. I'll decide next week about this trip. 32 degrees is extremely cold for me to ride 4 hours in. I didn't warm up today until it hit 50.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Should I NOT say that so far the 9th looks to be very nice with temps in the low 60s.

I won't mention that liquid sunshine in fear it may be like beetlejuice. Say it too many time and it appears.

I hope to see this ride work out for this Sunday

wjduke
04-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Should I NOT say that so far the 9th looks to be very nice with temps in the low 60s.

I won't mention that liquid sunshine in fear it may be like beetlejuice. Say it too many time and it appears.

I hope to see this ride work out for this Sunday

I was trying to remain silent....looks good starting Sunday and right through Wednesday. Lets hope it sticks.

Bob Penn
04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Yesterday, Monday, I took a little ride down to, Allentown, to the Cycle Gear shop. It was already 52 degrees and sunny when I left the mountain. By the time I got to the low lands it was 64. By the time I got my shopping done it was 66.
It was much too sunny to go home so I took a ride to "NO where"!
By the time I got home the tank was empty, there was another 220 miles on the clock and I was out the $14.00 it took to fill it back up.

And no I hadn't bought a damn thing, the helmet I went for didn't fit and nothing else interest me, but I still couldn't get the smile off my face.

It must be spring!

wjduke
04-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Seems like it's taking forever, but bright spots are showing up.

Bob Penn
04-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Seems like it's taking forever, but bright spots are showing up.

You mean like next Monday's and Tuesday's forecasted report putting the temps in the 70's. Damn, I'm going to have to go look in the closet for my formal T-shirts.
Today's forecast is only for 65. But with rain forecasted for tomorrow I better go spend another $14.00 this afternoon.

Do you think it would help your mood, if I said it looks like salt water rain on Sunday?

wjduke
04-05-2017, 06:26 AM
You mean like next Monday's and Tuesday's forecasted report putting the temps in the 70's. Damn, I'm going to have to go look in the closet for my formal T-shirts.
Today's forecast is only for 65. But with rain forecasted for tomorrow I better go spend another $14.00 this afternoon.

Do you think it would help your mood, if I said it looks like salt water rain on Sunday?

PA and southern NE are two different places. We might see 70 next Wednesday, you're looking at 80. Sunday looks great. 65? Shortsleeve weather...I'll leave here it'll be in the 30's again....the things I do for you.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-05-2017, 01:00 PM
PA and southern NE are two different places. We might see 70 next Wednesday, you're looking at 80. Sunday looks great. 65? Shortsleeve weather...I'll leave here it'll be in the 30's again....the things I do for you.

FYI.... I still have a New Gerbing Heated Jacket for sale. Not that I am pushing a sale just tossing it out there if you have thought about getting one.
If you have a power plug we can set you up to try it out Sunday. Of course you will still have to ride here in the cold to get to it. :)

wjduke
04-05-2017, 02:11 PM
FYI.... I still have a New Gerbing Heated Jacket for sale. Not that I am pushing a sale just tossing it out there if you have thought about getting one.
If you have a power plug we can set you up to try it out Sunday. Of course you will still have to ride here in the cold to get to it. :)

Dan, thanks....what really gets cold are my fingers. At this stage of the season, I'll suffer one last cold trip! Next season, we'll see.

Bob Penn
04-06-2017, 08:38 AM

Sounds like Siberia to me.

I'd much prefer Coffee and a danish!!!!

Bob Penn
04-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Dan, thanks....what really gets cold are my fingers. At this stage of the season, I'll suffer one last cold trip! Next season, we'll see.

Dan, you wouldn't happen to have a pair of Gerbling gloves to sell would you? Otherwise it sounds like he'll be getting no riding or sex until June.

Damn, icons are still not working! The perfect one is in the third row up from the (more) sign and three figures over from the left.

wjduke
04-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Dan, you wouldn't happen to have a pair of Gerbling gloves to sell would you? Otherwise it sounds like he'll be getting no riding or sex until June.

Damn, icons are still not working! The perfect one is in the third row up from the (more) sign and three figures over from the left.

Keep your icons to yourself!

DMAGOLDRDR
04-06-2017, 10:01 AM

I never noticed that particular icon before, that is to friggin funny,

Bob Penn
04-06-2017, 02:31 PM
I never noticed that particular icon before, that is to friggin funny,

Yep, That's one of those old boy scout icons. It taught them how to warm their fingers and start fires, but I always found the girl scouts had warm hands and were better at starting camp fires with friction!

DMAGOLDRDR
04-07-2017, 09:41 AM
deja vu.

Sunday 8:30 - 9:00 at the Global gas station off Interstate 84 Exit #8 in Danbury, still good ???

Any others from this area coming along ?

wjduke
04-07-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm in Dan. As of now, Maz from Jamestown is coming and maybe her husband. I'm meeting her around 6-6:15 on 95, then we're booking it to you guys. Haven't heard from anyone else. We should be in Danbury easily by 9.

Bob Penn
04-07-2017, 10:37 AM
deja vu.

Sunday 8:30 - 9:00 at the Global gas station off Interstate 84 Exit #8 in Danbury, still good ???

deja vu is right!

I just checked the forecast for this Sunday and it's almost a rerun of last week's forecast. Sunny all day with morning temps in the mid 30's warming to 65 by noon. It's been raining heavily for the past 2 days. All this in an effort to clean the streets of salt. Be aware local forecasters are warning of river flooding
The things we do for Wayne!

I just came in from feeding the animals. There was a light snow shower. Now the sun is shining brightly and the temp was up to 48 going to mid 50's.

The good news is Monday and Tuesday will be sunny with temps in the mid 70's to 80 degrees. The rest of the week is for 65 to 70 degrees. Wayne must be working!

Oh where are my icons?

DMAGOLDRDR
04-07-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm in Dan. As of now, Maz from Jamestown is coming and maybe her husband. I'm meeting her around 6-6:15 on 95, then we're booking it to you guys. Haven't heard from anyone else. We should be in Danbury easily by 9.

I'm will probably get there a bit after 8:00 in case you make real good time, that should give my time to have coffee and be ready.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-07-2017, 11:42 AM
deja vu is right!I just checked the forecast for this Sunday and it's almost a rerun of last week's forecast. Sunny all day with morning temps in the mid 30's warming to 65 by noon. It's been raining heavily for the past 2 days. All this in an effort to clean the streets of salt. Be aware local forecasters are warning of river flooding
The things we do for Wayne!I just came in from feeding the animals. There was a light snow shower. Now the sun is shining brightly and the temp was up to 48 going to mid 50's.
The good news is Monday and Tuesday will be sunny with temps in the mid 70's to 80 degrees. The rest of the week is for 65 to 70 degrees. Wayne must be working!
Oh where are my icons?

SNOW SHOWER !!!
Good thing your not from this area, these town guys are looking for a reason to use up the last of their salt..

JGF6B
04-07-2017, 06:36 PM
deja vu.

Behind on work at home and at work so I'm pretty sure I won't be there. There is a small chance I'll wake up early Sunday morning and decide to go though.
I'd text you or Wayne but my dog chewed that phone so I don't have either of your numbers anymore. I'm pretty sure I remember the stops from last year though.

wjduke
04-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Jim, I'm 508-353-7748.....if your number changed, text me the new one!

wjduke
04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
As of now, we probably won't stop at Beacon. if Jeff is coming we will. Exit 8 in Danbury, then on to PA from there.

JGF6B
04-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Jim, I'm 508-353-7748.....if your number changed, text me the new one!

Same number.
I'm itching to ride.... haven't ridden since November:(

Bob Penn
04-08-2017, 07:23 AM
They didn't change the forecast this morning. Looks like a starting temp in the 40's @ 10:30 and warming to the mid 60's by afternoon.

It's very windy here this morning with about a half inch of snow from last night.

Name change alert from "Sunny" to "snow flake".

wjduke
04-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Why is it still snowing well into April, when global warming will doom us all? How is the earth flat, when you see the shadow in an eclipse? Some of the things that keep me up at night.

Bob Penn
04-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Went to a gun show today with my cousin and his brother-in-law. We left the house at 9 am it was 38 degrees got back home after the show and a stop at the hotel for lunch, at 4 pm it was only 55 degrees windy and cold.
Both of them backed out of tomorrow's ride due to the cold.

The question of my sanity came up. I think I lost another debate.

wjduke
04-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Matamoras is saying mid 60's. I'm thrilled with upper 50's. I dont see a bad day at all. You're the boss Bob. Say the word. I'll check again later. We're ready on the east side.

Delta
04-08-2017, 04:00 PM
See you in the morning. I'm at the Best Western in Matamoros. It's windy, the flags are fully flying. Time to hit the Milford Diner.

wjduke
04-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Awesome. Tomorrow looks better

DMAGOLDRDR
04-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Behind on work at home and at work so I'm pretty sure I won't be there. There is a small chance I'll wake up early Sunday morning and decide to go though.
I'd text you or Wayne but my dog chewed that phone so I don't have either of your numbers anymore. I'm pretty sure I remember the stops from last year though.

It will be good to see you again if you choose to ride..

I will be at Exit #8 in Danbury CT at the Global gas station around 8am. 203-733-5588 if you need to get in touch.

See you all (well those that can make it) tomorrow

Dan

wjduke
04-09-2017, 03:15 AM
I didn't just roll out of bed for nothin! Meeting Maz in RI and we'll be there Dan.

Bob Penn
04-09-2017, 05:31 AM
The "WORD" Did you see that moon?

I just woke up, went outside and fed the animals. I felt something, I think it was chile and not the eating kind. I really have to start remembering to put my housecoat on before going outside.

Oh well, I'm up now, might as well stay that way, I'm kind've looking forward to meeting, Delta, and the rest of the loose screw gang. Sunny will be here soon if the meteorologist doesn't blow a tire getting here.

It should be a very interesting afternoon.

I'm not signing anything!!! Damn icons are still not working...

DMAGOLDRDR
04-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Bob Penn,
Thanks again for a nice roll thru a few of PA's great roads (and a stop at the Apple Pie Bakery for Cheese Danish!!!) The weather was good, the roads were clear and the company was great. Always nice to meet new riders. I really enjoy how motorcycle riding brings folks together, by lunch we all talked like a bunch of old friends.

A great day for sure............

Thanks all

Dan

wjduke
04-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Great day...thanks everyone. 15 hours from when I opened that garage door to when I closed it....worth every minute.
6 bikes from 6 different states...Maz sent a pic, but it's too large a file to post. I can text or email on request.

Mazilla
04-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks for "ride it like you stole it" kind of day that I LOVE!! Nice to meet everyone!!

f6bdan
04-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks for letting me tag along. Nice to meet such a good group of folks. Bob, you are an excellent ambassador for your state.

Delta
04-10-2017, 07:57 PM
It was a good day. Sorry I had to cut it short and skip the late lunch. Made it home safe and sound. We'll have to do it again some time.

Bob Penn
04-11-2017, 06:09 AM
First, let me say I was glad to hear everybody made it home safe and sound! It had to be a long day for some of you . I just wish we had more time to ride together. ERR eat together.

Yesterday I completed the ride and went to the Francis Walter Dam. It was such a beautiful day sunny with temps in the low 70's, I had to ride.
Maz would have loved the scene. Standing on top of the dam the eagles and chicken hawks were riding the air currents coming off the dam walls below and up at eye level. They were so close I could have plucked them in mid flight. Watching them reminded me of how we spread our wings shift our weight and lean into a turn on our bikes. So I followed suite and got back on the bike to soar.

The only problem is today looks even better with the forecasted temps in the high 70's touching on 80. Guess what I'm going to do! I'll give you a hint, make like a bird.

OK, we got the first run in!:clap2: Now we just have to decide when and "Where too in the NE" we should make the next ride ???? Please speak up!!!

PS guess what's working? :clap2:

Bob Penn
04-11-2017, 06:13 AM
Thanks for letting me tag along. Nice to meet such a good group of folks. Bob, you are an excellent ambassador for your state.

Dan, you weren't tagging along you were a welcome part of the group. Come back and ride again!

Bob Penn
04-11-2017, 06:16 AM
It was a good day. Sorry I had to cut it short and skip the late lunch. Made it home safe and sound. We'll have to do it again some time.

Come on back and this time bring your wife back to her roots.

wjduke
04-11-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm game...any day trip is good for me. Overnighters I'd have to plan more. Be a little nicer when it warms up more, but let's not let that stop anything! Dan will have a couple nice rides too, upstate NY....looking forward to that.

Bob Penn
04-12-2017, 05:47 AM
I'm game...any day trip is good for me. Overnighters I'd have to plan more. Be a little nicer when it warms up more, but let's not let that stop anything! Dan will have a couple nice rides too, upstate NY....looking forward to that.

I'm not sure I want it any warmer! Yesterday's ride was in the 80's and today I woke up to red burning arms. Maybe riding with only a short sleeved T-shirt wasn't such a good idea.

OK, Dan, Where are you taking us and what are we going to eat????