PDA

View Full Version : IMS Washington DC...

Slammd
01-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Any of you DC Baltimore folks make it out to the International Motorcycle Show this weekend? All the usual suspects were there except.....Honda! I must've walked around three times looking for them...even asked a few vendors....nada. I just can't believe they would not attend a major gig like this. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed.

opas ride
01-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Any of you DC Baltimore folks make it out to the International Motorcycle Show this weekend? All the usual suspects were there except.....Honda! I must've walked around three times looking for them...even asked a few vendors....nada. I just can't believe they would not attend a major gig like this. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed.

For reasons known only to Honda, I suppose, they seem to "laying low" on any new cruiser or touring bike models lately...GW is out-dated in a lot of ways, F6B has had very little changes since 2013, cruiser line has not changed since 2010, new Valkyrie was a bust and other bagger/street bike types they offer are obsolete...I was giving some thought to getting a smaller bike from Honda and really was interested in the Honda Interstate until I realized it has not been manufactured since early 2105 and only a few are left around the dealers...Hopefully in the next couple years we will see a new GW and other up-dated and interesting bikes...The "Cruiser and Bagger" market is definitely controlled by Indian, Victory and Harley with BMW bringing out a new "bagger" this year....Meanwhile Ma Honda seems content to provide the U.S. market with the same old stuff..., although, I really love my 2013 F6B and what it does for me for now, but it would be nice to see some up-dated street bikes from Honda besides "crotch rockets and etc."....Ride safe

Slammd
01-08-2017, 03:27 PM
...also went by the BMW booth to get a look at their new bagger. Bummed out again...they didn't have it on display. The rep said the only IMS show it was being showcased was Detroit. Kinda didn't make sense to me since I would think the DC/Balt market would be one of the larger more affluent markets??

opas ride
01-08-2017, 04:21 PM
...also went by the BMW booth to get a look at their new bagger. Bummed out again...they didn't have it on display. The rep said the only IMS show it was being showcased was Detroit. Kinda didn't make sense to me since I would think the DC/Balt market would be one of the larger more affluent markets??
I understand from a few riders around here in Mich that BMW's are very popular and "baggers" like the BMW and others are fairly common. I always thought the East and West coast were the most popular areas for BMW's....although I do see a lot more BMW bikes around the Detroit than Honda's....Harley is number 1 around where I live...They are everywhere!!....

Travelor
01-08-2017, 04:39 PM
I understand from a few riders around here in Mich that BMW's are very popular and "baggers" like the BMW and others are fairly common. I always thought the East and West coast were the most popular areas for BMW's....although I do see a lot more BMW bikes around the Detroit than Honda's....Harley is number 1 around where I live...They are everywhere!!....

If you think Harley's are popular where you are, try the Milwaukee - Chicago corridor! Around here they're like love bugs in Florida.

bubbasparks
01-08-2017, 07:43 PM
If you think Harley's are popular where you are, try the Milwaukee - Chicago corridor! Around here they're like love bugs in Florida.

I will second that, but I do like standing out during the Harley anniversary at all the dealers

Travelor
01-08-2017, 09:45 PM
I will second that, but I do like standing out during the Harley anniversary at all the dealers

:yes:

rdeady
01-09-2017, 07:58 AM
Harleys everywhere in NJ also. Went on a ride to South Jersey and stopped at a bar/restaurant that is frequented by bikers. All harleys. When we were leaving I yelled " who has the honda ? LET KICK HIS ARS" Got a laugh out of the guys I was with hehe. We have bike night at a bar called the Cabin like once a month and it is a sea of Harleys and a giant black honda. Heck I still had a fat boy sitting in the garage which I have since sold for lack of use . Most of the guys I know would never ride anything but a harley but I Have never been much for settling for the norm.

Bob Penn
01-09-2017, 10:40 AM
This is exactly what I noticed and wrote about back in December after the NY show. At least Honda was there with a half hearten attempt by showing up with 1 full wing and one F6B along with a bunch of crotch rockets. However, the people manning the booth seemed to have little or no interest in their own product line.

Following up I found out they had just hired a new Marketing/sales VP. back in April. I'm not sure if the guy I was introduced to as the head of marketing was the new man but he seemed to be as much a biker as Hillary Clinton. She, I mean he kept telling of great things to come! HMMM seems like I saw this movie before back in November.

When I mentioned this site he had no knowledge of it. That seemed strange to me, a marketing MGR. with no knowledge of today's internet! When I mentioned my experience here on this site I was assured that Mother Honda monitored us regularly but a month later I haven't seen one comment by anyone claiming to represent the factory's interest.

Maybe that is because biking is currently in a cycle fad downturn. In MHO this was brought on by the $20 to $30 thousand dollar price tags on many of today's cruisers. Kids who can't afford to move out of daddy's house aren't going to be buying into sports requiring this kind of out lay! Or maybe it's just because there is very little new worth that kind of investment.

F6B1911
01-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Hmmmm, he may have misspoken on that.
Don't think there is an IMS in Detroit this year, he probably was thinking of Chicago or Cleveland??

Bob Penn
01-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Anybody see a trend here?
BMW doesn't even have one of their new already announced bike to show.
Polaris is shutting down Victory.
Harley sales certainly haven't been all that great.
And Honda has nothing new to offer. They had a crippling surplus of F6B's until they got real and lowered the price on new left over bikes with rebates. That seemed to work!
Maybe the industry has finally priced themselves out of their own market.

3Chief
01-10-2017, 06:46 AM
Motorcycles are still a "nitch" environment. Those of us who run big cruisers are loosing ground in our nitch to the café racer and scooter crowd. Motor vehicles in general are going see declining sales as the years pass and the millennial's make up more of the workforce. Where as most of us fought to get our licenses as a ticket to freedom the millennial's aren't as attached to them. They're definitely not attached to MC's, those who do ride seem just as app to get a scooter vs a "real" bike. With the cost of newer bikes and the stagnation of our wages it's amazing more brands haven't gone away. Mother Honda's in the process of exiting the sport ATV market, Victory is going away and who knows who'll be next. IMHO anyway.

F6B1911
01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Anybody see a trend here?
BMW doesn't even have one of their new already announced bike to show.
Polaris is shutting down Victory.
Harley sales certainly haven't been all that great.
And Honda has nothing new to offer. They had a crippling surplus of F6B's until they got real and lowered the price on new left over bikes with rebates. That seemed to work!
Maybe the industry has finally priced themselves out of their own market.

Just wait until 2017.01.21.....
Consumer confidence will increase, and sales will start taking off.

opas ride
01-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Just wait until 2017.01.21.....
Consumer confidence will increase, and sales will start taking off.

I agree somewhat but not sure the "bagger/cruiser" market will stay strong enough to support many newer models in the future..The newer generation of young people are not buying cars and motorcycles like they did in the 80's and 90's plus...Harley will stay strong due to their terrific marketing techniques..In my opinion we will see more scooters, off-road bikes, and smaller cc road bikes...Hope I am wrong, but at age 77 today, my birthday, I haven't many riding years left anyway!!!....Ride safe

valkmc
01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
I agree somewhat but not sure the "bagger/cruiser" market will stay strong enough to support many newer models in the future..The newer generation of young people are not buying cars and motorcycles like they did in the 80's and 90's plus...Harley will stay strong due to their terrific marketing techniques..In my opinion we will see more scooters, off-road bikes, and smaller cc road bikes...Hope I am wrong, but at age 77 today, my birthday, I haven't many riding years left anyway!!!....Ride safe

Happy Birthday, I hope to be riding at your age!! Shoot, I hope to be around at your age.

Blk6bgg6
01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Congrats opas,I too wish hope to be riding at 77.I agree with guys bout millenials and motorcycles.I personally believe small displacement will be the future.I know the young guys just don't get revved up bout cars,trucks and bikes today.It's hard to believe they get more excited about the newest phones coming out.I have two sons and two stepsons only one rides and that isn't often.O well its just different today glad I can still get out there and go.good luck and safe year to all