PDA

View Full Version : Polaris dumps Victory

willtill
01-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Polaris is dumping Victory. What a shame. Such great engineering gone to waste by goofy management. Am glad I got rid of my Victory Vision; though sweet memories of it for a time - it was the most comfortable highway tourer/cruiser I have ever owned. Too bad the dealer service and warranty sucked on it though.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/victory-motorcycles-important-announcement

F6B1911
01-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Polaris is dumping Victory. What a shame. Such great engineering gone to waste by goofy management. Am glad I got rid of my Victory Vision; though sweet memories of it for a time - it was the most comfortable highway tourer/cruiser I have ever owned. Too bad the dealer service and warranty sucked on it though.
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/victory-motorcycles-important-announcement

Wonder if Indian will be then be the recipient of increased R&D funding?

willtill
01-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Wonder if Indian will be then be the recipient of increased R&D funding?

No.. Slingshot will...

Not sure if there's going to be a "fire sale" on the remaining inventory at the dealers... Victory say's they're going to continue to make parts and offer non-existent warranty service on them for another 10 years...

53driver
01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Dang...Another American V-Twin company gets the ax.
I guess I'm surprised there isn't another company in line to buy the rights.
Or maybe it has to "die" then be reborn al a Indian's phoenix rising and falling....

opas ride
01-09-2017, 11:25 AM
No.. Slingshot will...

Not sure if there's going to be a "fire sale" on the remaining inventory at the dealers... Victory say's they're going to continue to make parts and offer non-existent warranty service on them for another 10 years...
I heard a rumor from the Mgr. of a local dealer here that Victory sales were down and there was some concern about the future of the brand as Indian sales are improving each year....Like you I am glad I traded my Vision when I did, although I really like the bike..Almost traded the F6B for a Victory Magnum last year, now glad I did not!!.....Ride safe

Davidk
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Wow, I am shocked. I love the look of the Vision, but found it too top heavy. Always stayed clear of them based on reports of lack of parts and misc problems.

BIGLRY
01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Wow, I am shocked. I love the look of the Vision, but found it too top heavy. Always stayed clear of them based on reports of lack of parts and misc problems.
+1

Old Ryder
01-09-2017, 02:22 PM
They were a great bike---it was the dealers--or rather "lack of dealer support" that run me off. The machine itself was well designed.

WOW--hard to imagine. I am sure that the reasoning is to promote and support the Indian. Talking to the guys at Daytona for the last 2 years, they simply cannot build Indians fast enough. Victory and Indian are very close to identical twins once you get past the engine and tins. They share a lot of design and engineering DNA.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-09-2017, 02:59 PM
From what I read in the Investor Relation presentation, some Victory Dealers will have the choice to be Indian Dealers..

Funny though,, this is not a "discontinued operations" event, just a cease manufacturing. It reads that Victory has been only 3 percent of Polaris sales and lost money 3 of the last 5 yrs.

The Focus is now on Indian and Slingshot

DaWadd
01-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Kind of knew that was coming. Sales were bad. Now they can focus on the beautiful Indian brand. I not a slingshot fan so don't care."coffee"

willtill
01-10-2017, 06:11 AM
I've been reading some of the Victory forums (used to be a member on one) some of the membership is pretty upset regarding this. I can feel for them... it sucks to have a bike with rapidly dissipating resale value. Especially for the poor guys whom just got one and started making payments on it:

http://www.thevog.net/threads/polaris-just-anounced-it-is-shutting-down-victory-what-the-f-k.89537/

I remember when Harley axed Buell... that was pretty sad as well.

Old Ryder
01-10-2017, 08:51 AM
From what I read in the Investor Relation presentation, some Victory Dealers will have the choice to be Indian Dealers..

Funny though,, this is not a "discontinued operations" event, just a cease manufacturing. It reads that Victory has been only 3 percent of Polaris sales and lost money 3 of the last 5 yrs.

The Focus is now on Indian and Slingshot

When Indian first cranked up, they had first choice back then, too. I seem to remember the cost of a Victory franchise was in the $50K range, while Indian was $400-$450K. Most Victory dealers were taking a pass in the beginning. I am not sure if they are changing that now, but they took a hard line on the Indian price tag early on.

opas ride
01-10-2017, 11:29 AM
When Indian first cranked up, they had first choice back then, too. I seem to remember the cost of a Victory franchise was in the $50K range, while Indian was $400-$450K. Most Victory dealers were taking a pass in the beginning. I am not sure if they are changing that now, but they took a hard line on the Indian price tag early on.

I wonder how many "Slingshot" units they sell each year??..I have only seen 3 on the road around here and the local dealer that sells them has had the same ones on the floor for several months now.....Just curious...

JMartin
01-10-2017, 12:30 PM
I wonder how many "Slingshot" units they sell each year??..I have only seen 3 on the road around here and the local dealer that sells them has had the same ones on the floor for several months now.....Just curious...Around here, all I see are used Slingshots, with about 9 miles on them... (joking of course - but I'm amazed how often it appears someone buys one of these on a whim and tries to bail on it just a few months later).

opas ride
01-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Around here, all I see are used Slingshots, with about 9 miles on them... (joking of course - but I'm amazed how often it appears someone buys one of these on a whim and tries to bail on it just a few months later).

Agree!!..I used to ride with a guy who was really into bikes and speed stuff...He bought one of the first Slingshots available in this area and was in a "whole new world" as he said a few days after purchase...Since then, 2 years ago or more, he has driven it only 4 times and these were trips to local auto shows....He is now trying to unload it with no luck so far!!!!

sharkey
01-10-2017, 11:56 PM
I had a feeling that was coming and kinda steered me to the F6B over the XC. Kinda shame because I attended the Victory ride days and always enjoyed the Cross Country.

53driver
01-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Around here, all I see are used Slingshots, with about 9 miles on them... (joking of course - but I'm amazed how often it appears someone buys one of these on a whim and tries to bail on it just a few months later).

Agree!!..I used to ride with a guy who was really into bikes and speed stuff...He bought one of the first Slingshots available in this area and was in a "whole new world" as he said a few days after purchase...Since then, 2 years ago or more, he has driven it only 4 times and these were trips to local auto shows....He is now trying to unload it with no luck so far!!!!

Yeah....I know a guy with a TRex and he doesn't run it anymore.
I offer to take care of it for him, but he refuses my help but he knows I'm there for him.
I truly hope someday he gets back into it because I know he really likes it.
Cheers,
Steve

Davidk
01-11-2017, 12:26 AM
If Polaris could not create a proper supply of Victory parts, will they do any better with Indian?

willtill
01-11-2017, 06:05 AM
If Polaris could not create a proper supply of Victory parts, will they do any better with Indian?

Not sure. But I think Indian may not be long lasting either. It is a high end bike; and from what I've seen... a lot of the customers are middle aged to older; than the younger motorcycle crowd. Polaris sure is throwing a lot of money at it though... and the dealership franchises are pretty damned expensive for someone to host them. I've read that Polaris is charging dealerships 450-500K for a franchise; as opposed to Victory which had cost 50K.

If they marketed Victory better (visibility) and had a better support network for it... it may have caught on better.

Old Ryder
01-11-2017, 08:30 AM
There were some really great dealers out there but they were few and far between. I have personal stories that would drop your jaw in disbelief---not to mention others that I read about. I have always been a "forum rat" and it did not take long for me to be more informed than the service manager at the local dealership and he had been doing it since 1999.

Some companies are known for customer service. I think Sears Roebuck set the gold standard decades ago. Some are known for very poor customer care---Polaris falls into that category and makes NO EXCUSES about it.

3Chief
01-11-2017, 08:45 AM
There were some really great dealers out there but they were few and far between. I have personal stories that would drop your jaw in disbelief---not to mention others that I read about. I have always been a "forum rat" and it did not take long for me to be more informed than the service manager at the local dealership and he had been doing it since 1999.

Some companies are known for customer service. I think Sears Roebuck set the gold standard decades ago. Some are known for very poor customer care---Polaris falls into that category and makes NO EXCUSES about it.

I'm learning to be a forum rat...Before I left on this trip I managed to get my 2015 xmas gift home finally, a very nice bike lift. The GF and I are closing on a house next week with a considerablely nicer garage then my old one. My VTX may suffer for it, however to avoid stealership issues I intend on buildup my skills and will not have any excuses not to... My poor VTX will be my guiney pig before I delve to far into the B. Manual in hand, wifi run to the garage, forum opened up and away we go. Now if I can just find away to get all you tech assist type the beer to enjoy while questions are asked....:icon_lol:

F6Dave
01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

I've heard countless complaints about Victory dealers, and the terrible warranty service. If they don't fix that, they won't develop much loyalty with their other brands, either.

As an owner of two old 1500 Valkyries I'm used to riding discontinued motorcycles. But thankfully these bikes share most mechanical parts with the 1500 Wings, so availability still isn't much of an issue even 14 years after Honda dropped the Valk. Since the F6B has nearly all parts in common with other GL1800s, it should fare even better.

F6Dave
01-11-2017, 09:34 AM
I'm learning to be a forum rat...Before I left on this trip I managed to get my 2015 xmas gift home finally, a very nice bike lift. The GF and I are closing on a house next week with a considerablely nicer garage then my old one. My VTX may suffer for it, however to avoid stealership issues I intend on buildup my skills and will not have any excuses not to... My poor VTX will be my guiney pig before I delve to far into the B. Manual in hand, wifi run to the garage, forum opened up and away we go. Now if I can just find away to get all you tech assist type the beer to enjoy while questions are asked....:icon_lol:

The F6B is actually easy to work on. The hard part is getting to the parts than need the work!

3Chief
01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
The F6B is actually easy to work on. The hard part is getting to the parts than need the work!

I'm a bit paranoid about it, me and small fasteners or plastic tend to have issues...

skippy1969
01-13-2017, 09:47 PM
+1

+2 I almost bought a new Victory Cross Country Magnum last fall,but I chose the F6B my instead.
Thank goodness.
A shame about Victory going away though. :icon_frown:
They are great bikes.

willtill
01-14-2017, 11:04 AM
The local dealer here sickens me. Putting a favorable "spin" on the 10 year future duration of Victory making parts and offering warranty; acting as if they're doing it on their own good will (they're not mentioning that is required by law). And not much reduction in the current sales price.

That is why they're called "stealerships" :icon_rolleyes:

D-Train
01-14-2017, 11:08 AM
I offer to take care of it for him, but he refuses my help but he knows I'm there for him.
Cheers,
Steve

Don't worry, Tony will get back into it someday, won't you Tony? :icon_lol:

Davidk
01-14-2017, 11:10 AM
The local dealer here sickens me. Putting a favorable "spin" on the 10 year future duration of Victory making parts and offering warranty; acting as if they're doing it on their own good will (they're not mentioning that is required by law). And not much reduction in the current sales price.

Shameful. You can fool some of the people all of the time...

Phantom
01-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Cheers,
Steve

:cheers:

No other vehicle can replicate the experience, just unique.
Because of not being used, I need to have the carbs cleaned again :banghead:

Steve, I thank you for the offer however it's like sharing a girlfriend :nono: :icon_biggrin: She's loyal and patiently awaits my return.

Don't worry, Tony will get back into it someday, won't you Tony? :icon_lol:

Yes, someday. Other priorities at hand at the moment.:icon_frown: 'sick'

Jhox
01-14-2017, 03:49 PM

This is the "10 year myth". Here is a good article explaining.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/07/orphan-cars-10-year-parts-myth/

willtill
01-14-2017, 04:05 PM
This is the "10 year myth". Here is a good article explaining.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/07/orphan-cars-10-year-parts-myth/

Interesting. I stand corrected.

lhomuth
01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
since I came over from the harley camp in 2013 (six new ones in 31 years) i have had little interest ..there isn't a new harley or any other v-twin that would cause me to trade my F6B...indians and victories are harley wannabes and i've been there done that

opas ride
01-16-2017, 04:10 PM
since I came over from the harley camp in 2013 (six new ones in 31 years) i have had little interest ..there isn't a new harley or any other v-twin that would cause me to trade my F6B...indians and victories are harley wannabes and i've been there done that
I pretty much agree with you on the V-Twin motors...I had two Victory's and they were nice bikes, but nothing like my F6B and I did not expect them to be...Harley has had the V-twin motor market for years and years and will continue to do so as HD riders are, for the most part, as stubborn as Democrats, convinced they have the best bike available and do not want to talk about, or try, anything else but HD...I was not surprised about Victory and doubt Indian will have much more success....Hope they do, but it will be an "uphill and long", perhaps losing battle!!...JMHO

willtill
01-16-2017, 04:34 PM
I pretty much agree with you on the V-Twin motors...I had two Victory's and they were nice bikes, but nothing like my F6B and I did not expect them to be...Harley has had the V-twin motor market for years and years and will continue to do so as HD riders are, for the most part, as stubborn as Democrats, convinced they have the best bike available and do not want to talk about, or try, anything else but HD...I was not surprised about Victory and doubt Indian will have much more success....Hope they do, but it will be an "uphill and long", perhaps losing battle!!...JMHO

I think the Polaris Slingshot is ultimately going to go the same way as Victory motorcycles. Some of you guys may remember that I was toying with the idea of owning a Slingshot. After what I saw with what was done with Victory, there's no way I'd get a Slingshot now. I now trust Polaris as much as I trust Hillary Clinton. :nono:

Kitulu
01-16-2017, 05:10 PM
I am not too surprised. Motorcycling is a niche market in the States, we have far more cars than motorcycles on the road, and will probably remain that way for may years to come. Other countries are different, but they don't go for the "Big Twin" bikes as much. For example, look at South Korea. Most of the bikes sold there are smaller displacement, and they use them for EVERYTHING. The new H-D Street 500 and 750 was built for the India market, and was not intended for sale in America until public interest came in. (As an aside, if my Shadow 750 had a 6th gear, it would be just fine for highway miles, but I digress)

For one parent company (Polaris) to try to run two brands that compete against each other (Victory and Indian) is an almost sure guarantee that one will come out the loser. While Victory had a good run, they never really matched up to Harley Davidson in the fit and finish department, and Indian has that name-brand recognition that Victory really cannot match, especially with all the work that Polaris put into getting the bikes done up right, and in comparison to the last few times that the brand has been resurrected the new Indians are miles ahead.

Hopefully, Polaris will commit to the Indian brand so that it will not fade away...again.

Kitulu
01-16-2017, 05:11 PM
I think the Polaris Slingshot is ultimately going to go the same way as Victory motorcycles. Some of you guys may remember that I was toying with the idea of owning a Slingshot. After what I saw with what was done with Victory, there's no way I'd get a Slingshot now. I now trust Polaris as much as I trust Hillary Clinton. :nono:

Slingshot= all the inconveniences of a motorcycle with none of the fun. :icon_mrgreen:

opas ride
01-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Totally agree my friend...Noticed on the web today, Polaris is offering a $2500 hundred dollar rebate on the Slingshot....The local dealer by me is one of the largest Slingshot dealers in this area and they have many of the same models on the sales floor that have been there since last spring!!!.....Goodbye finally to Hildabeast and party this Friday!!!!!