PDA

View Full Version : F6B crowd vs GWRRA Full Wing crowd

Ntexastom
01-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Total newbie here to all things Goldwing (been on non-Honda metric crusiers for last 10 yrs) but can some of you folks comment on the basic differences between these two crowds besides the GWRRA matching shirts? Attitudes, type of rides/rallys, other...

edgeman55
01-10-2017, 02:34 PM
IMHO our attitudes don't differ much.We love the feel of the flat six under us with dependability that is hard to match.I suspect many F6B owners choose that over the full dress Wing because of looks and lighter weight which equates to better handling.Lot of us ride alone with no passenger so we don't need a big trunk.Plus being a big guy the cockpit just fits me better overall-but if my wife still wanted to ride I would be on a full dress Wing in a heartbeat.Plus all F6B or Wing owners love the same thing "Ride to Eat".4623

2wheelsforme
01-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I think full Wing Riders like pin striping more than F6B people do. Plus I have not seen any of those cute His and Her custom painted names on a F6B yet. :icon_razz:

edgeman55
01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Plus I have not seen any of those cute His and Her custom painted names on a F6B yet. :icon_razz:

We don't have that big trunk canvas to paint on-LOL.

JMartin
01-10-2017, 02:52 PM
I think full Wing Riders like pin striping more than F6B people do. Plus I have not seen any of those cute His and Her custom painted names on a F6B yet. :icon_razz:

First thing I stripped off my recently acquired F6B was goofy pin-striping the previous owner put on. :shhh:

D-Train
01-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Plus being a big guy the cockpit just fits me better overall.
Plus all F6B or Wing owners love the same thing "Ride to Eat".

Hmm, I'm thinking there's a correlation here. :icon_lol:

53driver
01-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Having owned both....
I think the Wing crowd is a little more ostentatious in lighting, pinstriping, chrome, paint, etc. Romantic reasoning, if you will.
The F6B crowd seems more concerned with the underlying classic form and Quality as Phaedrus would not have defined it. :shhh::icon_mrgreen:

Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
01-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Most of the F6B riders I know love the bike and try to keep it simple, sleek and fast...Many GW riders love to load the things with gobs of chrome, lights, whistles and bells, etc. etc.....Some don't and just keep it stock looking which is okay....The majority of the GW riders I know "ride to eat" as stated earlier and many ride two-up a lot...Several folks think GW riders are just "old folks", but in reality many are middle aged riders that love the comfort and ride of the fully loaded Wing.....I would ride if I took long trips, rode two-up, and was a little taller and younger....but my F6B works fine for me for now....Regards, and ride safe

ISLANDER1089
01-10-2017, 06:03 PM

I noticed the same connection. I definitely don't ride to eat. At 5' 10" and 170 lbs. I ride to live. I'm usually doing big 10,000 mile trips each summer on my own as I'm single and 70 and have nothing to tie me down. This summer I'm headed to Alaska. I do wish I had cruise control and reverse, standard on Gold Wings, but hey, you can't have everything. After all, what would you do with it all?

BACA
01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
For what it's worth I've owned 3 Goldwings and am a member of the local GWRRA chapter mainly because there wasn't too many motorcycle riders in the area where I live and it seemed to be the most logical place to go riding with people who loved to ride. I bought my F6B in Jan of 2013 because it was the best of both worlds. I owned a Valkyrie tourer for a number of years and it was the best bike I had up until the F6B........now I get the comfort of the Wing with the performance and handling of my old Valkyrie.......couldn't be happier and with the addition of the CB radio and the Bushetc trailer, I can still group ride with my GWRRA friends and my Harley buddies that live near me and have since surfaced in the last 5 years. Best of both worlds.

seadog
01-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Most of the F6B riders I know love the bike and try to keep it simple, sleek and fast...Many GW riders love to load the things with gobs of chrome, lights, whistles and bells, etc. etc.....Some don't and just keep it stock looking which is okay....The majority of the GW riders I know "ride to eat" as stated earlier and many ride two-up a lot...Several folks think GW riders are just "old folks", but in reality many are middle aged riders that love the comfort and ride of the fully loaded Wing.....I would ride if I took long trips, rode two-up, and was a little taller and younger....but my F6B works fine for me for now....Regards, and ride safe

I like Chrome! But not the amount some of those people hit their bikes with, suttle touches make it stand out without being way to much. I didn't like the black pipes on the 2015 so the dealer switch in a set off a new 2014 and I didn't like the big ugly frame welds so I put on a set of chrome frame covers, the next was the Chrome Rivco Aero Highway peg and two nice little chrome pieces for the front fender, the Kuryakyn Chrome cubby cup holder and got rid of that ugly kick stand for a nice chrome one from Value Accessories and at that point I am done, enough but not over the top.4624

tiltingf6b
01-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Total newbie here to all things Goldwing (been on non-Honda metric crusiers for last 10 yrs) but can some of you folks comment on the basic differences between these two crowds besides the GWRRA matching shirts? Attitudes, type of rides/rallys, other...
Not much point in owning a full wing unless your into riding two up. Me I like solo - I owned a Honda 2014 F6C Valkyrie which is the naked Goldwing with slightly different geometry - true cruiser. The F6B feels like a sofa on two wheels compared to the Valkyrie. There is a Goldwing group in my area and I was invited to ride to a golden coral befat within a month of owning my bike - go figure. Now I know why :icon_rolleyes:

Navvet
01-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Once upon a time my wife and I rode two up .....

then came the Spyder and she will not ride with me any more .....

So ... The "6" is perfect for me (and it matches her Spyder)

53driver
01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Riding solo machine:

4625 4626

edgeman55
01-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Yep-I am 6'5" and around 385lbs.Was as big as 425 last year but slowly on the way down.Small for me would be under 300.Been big all my 62 years but I'm a lover not a fighter-Plus I have out lived 5 thin doctors-LOL.

D-Train
01-13-2017, 12:32 AM
First thing I stripped off my recently acquired F6B was goofy pin-striping the previous owner put on. :shhh:

Hey Jim. I should have bought a snowmobile, but after watching the news, you should have bought a boat! Hows the flooding situation where you live? (sorry for hijacking the thread!) :icon_redface:

JMartin
01-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Hey Jim. I should have bought a snowmobile, but after watching the news, you should have bought a boat! Hows the flooding situation where you live? (sorry for hijacking the thread!) :icon_redface:

The flooding is on the North East end of town, out in a rural area... a rather flat place known as Soap Lake and Fraser Lake... you would think that people who build in that kind of place pay more attention to the word "Lake" but I guess the lake only forms every 10 years or so. Anyway, the news is certainly running away with it.

The main road that I commute to and from work (Fraser Lake Road) has been barricaded for a few days due to flooding across the road, so it has made the local highway (Hwy 25, a two lane joke to begin with) a morning and evening bumper-to-bumper crawl.

I can certainly feel for those who have been temporarily displaced, but the water is only a couple feet deep, it just covers hundreds of acres that are normally dry. It's not like it's sweeping homes off their foundations or anything. The sky's are clearing up for the next couple days, and waters should begin to recede. There's some cleanup to be done, but not from the kind of damage brought on by swift water. On the other hand, all the local reservoirs are flowing over their spillways... Coyote Lake, Anderson Dam, and Calero Reservoir. We haven't seen that in many years. San Luis Reservoir, over highway 152 is fuller than it's been in a decade. All of this is good news for our region, and for California in general.

Other than a revisit from an old leak over my living room ceiling... which I will be tending to tomorrow... I'm doing fine.
Thanx for asking.

Jim

[I return you to your normally scheduled thread]