PDA

View Full Version : Goldwing F6B's 2013-2015 Electronic Saddlebag Door Release Kit

tiltingf6b
01-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Has anyone installed these?

http://www.mblinnovations.com/store/Electronic-Saddlebag-Door-Release-Kit-Remote-Control-16-.htm

$20.00 more on evil bay. go figure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111738532274?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thanks in advance

here is a link from our site but wondering what if anything is new news?

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5422-Saddle-Bag-Remote-Opener&highlight=saddlebag+door+release

53driver
01-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Yes, I have that kit installed.
With the Smuggler trunk, it's really the only way to go as you lose the levers when the trunk is in place.
Install was easy.
Work like a champ.
No key required.

Only drawback: no manual "emergency" release. I.e. if you lose battery power, you're resigned to taking off the trunk (2 bolts) to get your doors open. Leave the 10mm ratchet in the trunk, not the saddlebag tool kit.
Lots of people saw the system at the rally in Arkansas, most liked it.

Cheers,
Steve

BACA
01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
I've got it installed on my F6 and would do it again........works great........ In case of a battery malfunction - I have the tools in the left hand compartment by the handlebars so I can remove the seat and the rear panel to open the saddlebags manually and also to the remove the left side cover to get at the battery. Sounds like a pain, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience of opening the saddlebags. I've had it installed for a couple of years now and have had no problems.

F6Pilot
01-12-2017, 05:48 PM
There was a guy over on the Kustom F6B Facebook page that took a different route. If I remember correctly he had a workaround in case of battery failure. I think his name was Kenneth Raby and he posted a video

53driver
01-12-2017, 06:38 PM
There was a guy over on the Kustom F6B Facebook page that took a different route. If I remember correctly he had a workaround in case of battery failure. I think his name was Kenneth Raby and he posted a video

Yes, his levers still work!
However, if you have the Smuggler trunk, the levers be gone!

tiltingf6b
01-13-2017, 07:10 AM
I've got it installed on my F6 and would do it again........works great........ In case of a battery malfunction - I have the tools in the left hand compartment by the handlebars so I can remove the seat and the rear panel to open the saddlebags manually and also to the remove the left side cover to get at the battery. Sounds like a pain, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience of opening the saddlebags. I've had it installed for a couple of years now and have had no problems.

:yes:

tiltingf6b
01-13-2017, 07:14 AM

didn't know about the
FB page thanks

2wheelsforme
01-13-2017, 08:15 AM
I do not understand the advantages of the remote control opener for the bags. I mean you are right at the bike anyway and it only requires a gentle pull so why is it better to carry a remote control rather than just pull the lever? I'm guessing if it came with a remote control someone would be trying to figure a way to mount it on the bike rather than carrying it in your pocket. Now if your levers are gone like 53driver then yes it is needed.

2wheelsforme
01-13-2017, 08:23 AM
I also wonder why if you are preparing for a failed battery in the remote by packing the tools required to manually open the bags why not just pack an extra battery for the remote? But I often don't understand. t :shrug:

3Chief
01-13-2017, 09:04 AM
I do not understand the advantages of the remote control opener for the bags. I mean you are right at the bike anyway and it only requires a gentle pull so why is it better to carry a remote control rather than just pull the lever? I'm guessing if it came with a remote control someone would be trying to figure a way to mount it on the bike rather than carrying it in your pocket. Now if your levers are gone like 53driver then yes it is needed.

I also wonder why if you are preparing for a failed battery in the remote by packing the tools required to manually open the bags why not just pack an extra battery for the remote? But I often don't understand. t :shrug:

Our B's while wonderful machines are lacking in a few really basic modern conveniences...The one that irritates me the most, so far, is the "trunk" style locks which is why you would want this mod. It's on my list. I'm not sure how, although I certain there's away, anyone could design a more archaic setup for accessing your saddlebags on the B. I know I'm not alone in leaving my keys hanging from the back of the bike on occasion. Electronic locks and fobs are standard on other bikes and well proven in this day and age. That I either have to carry a spare key, make a cut out, disable the locks or shut the bike down to grab something from the bags quickly is mentally challenged and the key slot is not intuitively located. Killing the battery on your B shouldn't be a regular occurrence and fob battery's last quite awhile. You could take this a step farther and mount a backup switch in the locked cubby for the rare occasion you lose your fob or it's battery is dead. This tech is so proven in the automotive world that many newer cars do not have key locks for the trunk.

2wheelsforme
01-13-2017, 10:19 AM
I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have a problem with the locks and love the way they work. I have the valet key with a small knob always in the keyhole in the unlock position, not noticeable at all and never keys hanging from the lock. That sounds like the biggest gripe you have about this system and I did not like it either until installing the always unlocked key and knob. Just a pull on the lever and I'm in the bag. Can be removed if I wish to lock the bags, seldom needed. The ignition key is either in the slot or in my pocket, not needed anywhere else. Another Valet key with an even smaller knob is always in the right side to open the middle cubby and easily removed to unlock the fuel door, no need to remove the ignition key to access sunglasses or fuel door. Now if you want to go modern we need a fob with a proximity switch and starter button that only works when you are close to the bike. No having to dig in a pocket. You would still need to pull the lever to open the bags. Friends with HDs and those switches seen to have some problems sometimes but the one on my my Pathfinder works great. My remote control garage door opener is much more easy to use now that is mounted hidden on the bike with a momentary push switch mounted in the panel to the left and can even be pressed with my knee to open garage. So if I had a remote to open the bags I would want it mounted (hidden I guess) on the bike to avoid having to carry it in my pocket but don't see how that would be more easy that just pulling the lever.

JMartin
01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
I also wonder why if you are preparing for a failed battery in the remote by packing the tools required to manually open the bags why not just pack an extra battery for the remote? But I often don't understand. t :shrug:I don't think the concern here is for a failed battery in the remote, but for a failed battery on the bike... in which case you could push the remote as many times as you want, but there is no juice in the bike battery to power the actuators and open the bags. The tools then become necessary to open the saddlebags... but you still have a dead battery on the bike.

But you are correct in that carrying a small screwdriver and an extra remote battery would be a much easier solution than the removal of the seat... because the real problem, as I have heard from others, is the nightmare of trying to re-align those factory seat bolts for the re-installation of said seat. Which, if it happened only once, would eliminate any collective time savings for each time you didn't have to simply move the key from the ignition to the saddlebag lock and its return.

Having said that, it often amazes me how dependent people become on things like remote fobs. You would be surprised at the number of AAA calls we receive from people who "can't get into their vehicle" because their remote fobs don't work... and they have become so numb to this technology that it's actually entertaining to see the look on their face when my drivers ask them for their fob... flip out the key... and STICK IT IN THE DOOR and turn it to open their car. Which of course starts right up once they are inside it. (I run a towing company here on the West Coast - if you hadn't guessed).

2wheelsforme
01-13-2017, 10:44 AM
I bet a lot of people don't know the fob has a hard key inside it to open the door and that the fob works if really close to the starter push button.

53driver
01-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Yes....

The failed battery would be the bike's not the remote....

When we going riding?

Cheers,
Steve

2wheelsforme
01-13-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm going on a ride tonight, another Sat morning and again Sunday morning with our local SCRC. Taking advantage of this great 70 deg weather. You are welcome to come ride as a visitor on any/all of them. I'm leading the Saturday ride. DQ on Scenic KSU 9:00 Sat and Sun.

scoplin
01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
I have it installed and really like it, comes in handy when the wife wants in the side bags time and time again. Don't have to unlock the locks to open the bags just click a button and she is in. I am addressing the dead battery issue via the trailer wiring plug. I can use the plug to run my battery tender and can plug into if the battery is dead and open the saddle bags.

BACA
01-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Bike battery not the remote battery.....sorry!

3Chief
01-14-2017, 03:00 AM
I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have a problem with the locks and love the way they work. I have the valet key with a small knob always in the keyhole in the unlock position, not noticeable at all and never keys hanging from the lock. That sounds like the biggest gripe you have about this system and I did not like it either until installing the always unlocked key and knob. Just a pull on the lever and I'm in the bag. Can be removed if I wish to lock the bags, seldom needed. The ignition key is either in the slot or in my pocket, not needed anywhere else. Another Valet key with an even smaller knob is always in the right side to open the middle cubby and easily removed to unlock the fuel door, no need to remove the ignition key to access sunglasses or fuel door. Now if you want to go modern we need a fob with a proximity switch and starter button that only works when you are close to the bike. No having to dig in a pocket. You would still need to pull the lever to open the bags. Friends with HDs and those switches seen to have some problems sometimes but the one on my my Pathfinder works great. My remote control garage door opener is much more easy to use now that is mounted hidden on the bike with a momentary push switch mounted in the panel to the left and can even be pressed with my knee to open garage. So if I had a remote to open the bags I would want it mounted (hidden I guess) on the bike to avoid having to carry it in my pocket but don't see how that would be more easy that just pulling the lever.

My Concours has that proximity for the ignition and it works great plus the fob has the removable key that I use for the fuel cap and the bags. The BMW I test road had the full on remote that worked great. My bags have been rifled more then once at work so I would be pulling the valet key setup everyday. Coming up with a system like the BMW's, to me, would seem the best setup. Like I said before it's one of the few things about the B that irritates me and I'll get the remote setup this summer barring any unforeseen issues that arise. That hidden switch for the garage is great idea, the new place will have a gate minder and eventually a remote garage door opener.

tiltingf6b
01-14-2017, 07:54 AM
I have it installed and really like it, comes in handy when the wife wants in the side bags time and time again. Don't have to unlock the locks to open the bags just click a button and she is in. I am addressing the dead battery issue via the trailer wiring plug. I can use the plug to run my battery tender and can plug into if the battery is dead and open the saddle bags.
Scoplin - great idea! thanks.:biggthumpup:

Gssbmm
01-16-2017, 01:14 AM
I installed this kit and love it. In case of a battery failure I have one of the battery jumpstart kit. The pod that cycle gear sells. It fits nicely in the cubby below the handle bars. I have a lead hooked up to the battery that plugs straight into the unit so it is plug and go. Mostly the pod gets used for jumping dead harleys. I also keep a spare remote battery in there as well.

willtill
01-16-2017, 06:31 AM
I don't think the concern here is for a failed battery in the remote, but for a failed battery on the bike... in which case you could push the remote as many times as you want, but there is no juice in the bike battery to power the actuators and open the bags. The tools then become necessary to open the saddlebags... but you still have a dead battery on the bike.

But you are correct in that carrying a small screwdriver and an extra remote battery would be a much easier solution than the removal of the seat... because the real problem, as I have heard from others, is the nightmare of trying to re-align those factory seat bolts for the re-installation of said seat. Which, if it happened only once, would eliminate any collective time savings for each time you didn't have to simply move the key from the ignition to the saddlebag lock and its return.

Having said that, it often amazes me how dependent people become on things like remote fobs. You would be surprised at the number of AAA calls we receive from people who "can't get into their vehicle" because their remote fobs don't work... and they have become so numb to this technology that it's actually entertaining to see the look on their face when my drivers ask them for their fob... flip out the key... and STICK IT IN THE DOOR and turn it to open their car. Which of course starts right up once they are inside it. (I run a towing company here on the West Coast - if you hadn't guessed).

This is probably worth mentioning as well (unrelated but related)... my wife's battery died in her Mustang's Key Fob. Upon taking the Key Fob apart. I discovered that there was a hidden key installed inside of the Key Fob. :shock: We had NO IDEA it was there.... :shhh:

2wheelsforme
01-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Post number 13:
I bet a lot of people don't know the fob has a hard key inside it to open the door and that the fob works if really close to the starter push button.

willtill
01-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Post number 13:
Ah, I saw that you posted that already, well; repetition may be key here (no pun intended) :icon_lol:

2wheelsforme
01-16-2017, 07:20 AM
It is also worthy to note that most cars, my Nissan anyway will operate the ignition even with a dead fob battery if you hold it close to the push to start button. I like your pun.

tiltingf6b
01-16-2017, 07:27 AM
I'm going on a ride tonight, another Sat morning and again Sunday morning with our local SCRC. Taking advantage of this great 70 deg weather. You are welcome to come ride as a visitor on any/all of them. I'm leading the Saturday ride. DQ on Scenic KSU 9:00 Sat and Sun.

I work m-f full days with a 1/2 day on Saturdays - always open for a Sunday ride.

2wheelsforme
01-16-2017, 07:58 AM
When to Jackson AL yesterday. Will give you a shout if over that way next time.

53driver
01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
I work m-f full days with a 1/2 day on Saturdays - always open for a Sunday ride.

We still haven't linked up yet. Sundays? Okay then.
Cheers,
Steve