PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Holder Recommendations?

DocF6B
01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
I've got a '15 B and looking for a holder for my iPhone. Any suggestions? Removable wouldn't be a bad feature.

stroguy
01-14-2017, 10:36 AM
I did a RAM XMount on my windscreen. Wanted it out of the way so I drilled a pair of holes for the RAM balls and use a plastic button on the front of the windscreen to help dress it up.

tpa
01-14-2017, 02:11 PM
i used a RAM X mount on my handle bar (left). pros: it was very adjustable for optimal viewing angle; it was quick and easy to insert/remove phone, it fits many/most phones, easy to install. cons: a rubber grip fell off rendering it useless until replaced as it will scratch the phone and weaken its grip; i still need to figure out a good way to waterproof my phone when using the mount.

StonedInNy
01-14-2017, 03:35 PM
i used a RAM X mount on my handle bar (left). pros: it was very adjustable for optimal viewing angle; it was quick and easy to insert/remove phone, it fits many/most phones, easy to install. cons: a rubber grip fell off rendering it useless until replaced as it will scratch the phone and weaken its grip; i still need to figure out a good way to waterproof my phone when using the mount.

Ram Xmount is a great mount. Quick tip put a small dab of clear silicone to glue those rubber pieces on the arms. After buying many replacements i finially figured it out. As far as your waterproofing issue. Buy a Lifeproof case for your phone

stepbill
01-14-2017, 06:53 PM
I have a Samsung but bought from this company and it is a great case and mount. Not cheap but worth it! Here is the link for the iphone cases. https://www.rokform.com/collections/apple

pdxstriper
01-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Hi
I used a RAM mount with the ball mount on the brake fluid cap. With this setup I found I could position my iPhone up and forward in my line of sight, and not too much in my face. (The goal being not to block forward vision while not having to look away from the road). I'd take a picture but right now I am in Maui and my bike is back home in Portland, OR. :)
Pete

Kitulu
01-15-2017, 02:53 PM
I use the RAM mount as well. Granted, it is on my Shadow, as I am currently saving to buy an F6B. I use the RAM Claw to secure it to my handlebars, which gives me the option of several different placement locations as well as easy removal for when I am not using it.

willtill
01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M06994A/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0 DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=W6B4JEA0RP0KH04GVTJ2&pd_rd_wg=bhwWQ&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=xNv3d&pf_rd_i=motorcycle+cell+phone+mount&pd_rd_r=9KP7AMQGAYM92EZE8VK0&psc=1

MisterB
01-15-2017, 03:09 PM
If you use an Otterbox Defender it is possible to modify the clip that comes with it and use it as a holder.
It's a lot of RAM parts, but it's very handy and I use one on both my vehicles.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2lb16h2.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/dq3pe0.jpg

Ball mount attaches with a couple of large pop rivets with a little bit of adhesive between the clip and the ball mount just in case.
Use a spade bit on the clip around the mounting holes to slightly recess the rivet heads and then grind off any of the head that sits above flush.
The spade bit needs to be the cheaper kind without little teeth at the end of the blades. You just want to counter-bore 1/16" or so.

I have since switched cases and used a piece of plastic and a wooden mockup of my phone to create a holder that I've attached to the setup pictured. In doing so I had to remove the old clip, the rivets held surprisingly well. Required a LOT of effort to remove from the RAM ball.

edit: the cutouts on the clip are to allow use of the camera and make it easier to plug in the power cord.

tpa
01-15-2017, 04:07 PM
I use the RAM mount as well. Granted, it is on my Shadow, as I am currently saving to buy an F6B. I use the RAM Claw to secure it to my handlebars, which gives me the option of several different placement locations as well as easy removal for when I am not using it.

hey Kitulu, while the Shadow is a great bike, you're going to love the 6 - especially whenever you decide to go far...

tpa
01-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Hi
I used a RAM mount with the ball mount on the brake fluid cap. With this setup I found I could position my iPhone up and forward in my line of sight, and not too much in my face. (The goal being not to block forward vision while not having to look away from the road). I'd take a picture but right now I am in Maui and my bike is back home in Portland, OR. :)
Pete

i'd love to see a photo when you return from Maui. sounds like a perfect location. i'm curious as to how you mounted it on the brake fluid cap.

tpa
01-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Ram Xmount is a great mount. Quick tip put a small dab of clear silicone to glue those rubber pieces on the arms. After buying many replacements i finially figured it out. As far as your waterproofing issue. Buy a Lifeproof case for your phone

good idea StonedInNv. i ordered a pack of replacements and will hunt down some glue before the return of riding season here.

broncsrule21
01-16-2017, 12:08 AM
I have a Samsung but bought from this company and it is a great case and mount. Not cheap but worth it! Here is the link for the iphone cases. https://www.rokform.com/collections/apple

Thanks for that^^^looks like a good option for me.

Kitulu
01-16-2017, 04:44 PM
hey Kitulu, while the Shadow is a great bike, you're going to love the 6 - especially whenever you decide to go far...

That is why I am looking. Generally cheaper than the Big Twins, and I am a little tired of the drone from the V-Twin with aftermarket exhaust. I took a trip from Ft. Rucker, AL to Panama City Beach a few years ago, which was a little over 2 hours, and by the time I got there I was ready to get off the bike.

Just have to pay off some other debt first before I can justify a new motorcycle payment and/or depleting savings for a down payment or an outright buy.

Just to keep the post within the OP's subject, I used the RAM mount setup on that trip, and it worked flawlessly. I was running Google Maps and IHeartRadio, with an SAE-to-USB adapter running from my battery tender plug to the phone, and an audio cable extender from the phone to the seat strap on the passenger seat. I would route the wire from my earbuds down my jacket to the seat and plug in there.

pdxstriper
01-17-2017, 08:31 PM
i'd love to see a photo when you return from Maui. sounds like a perfect location. i'm curious as to how you mounted it on the brake fluid cap.

Hi
Well my failed memory proved consistent. It. Turns out that after some experimenting I used the reservoir ball mount for the Garmin and standard RAM parts for the iPhone. Regardless, works real well. See pictures below.

View from the helm. As I mentioned before, for me these are well placed to see both devices without looking away from the road.

View from port. Shows how much I've invested in RAM parts!

View from starboard. Shows reservoir cap with ball mount, which allows Garmin to be placed farther forward than the std RAM mount-to-clutch-or-brake option.

The unused ball mount on the starboard is for a water bottle holder. The reservior cover with ball mount is available from motorcycle larrys.

Hope all this helps. You'd think I am a shareholder in RAM Mounts for all that I have on this bike but that's not the case.
Pete