GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

Just Purchased Zumo 395LM

I just purchased the 395LM. I was using my phone with Google Maps. I lost service when I got out in the boonies at which point it left me stranded. Also I find creating routes in Basecamp much easier than Google Maps. I do us Google Maps or Earth in conjunction with it as Basecamp doesn't have a satellite view. Can't wait to get it and give it a try. I'm doing a Saddlesore 1000 over the labor day weekend. Should be a good test of its capabilities and functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.
    I have a 660 and moved it from 3 different bikes in succession. It has done a great job and works pretty good in remote areas also.

Which GPS units have the "curvy roads" options? I'm interested in a good GPS unit but I want to find curvy roads and avoid city centers/traffic lights.
    Riding the upward spiral.

The Garmin's seem to have been price fixed forever, but lately that has changed.
    I have the 595LM, it has all of the great features for motorcycle traveling.
    $899.95 was way out of my price range, but after a few google searches I found it for $550.00 w/free shipping.

Whatever you decide, do your homework first, there's some good deals if you look around.

I have had a refurbished 390 for a couple of years now. when I was getting ready to go to the Smoky's I went to base camp, put in my starting point and destination, ran that line from one to the other, hit the configure route and wala, a little bit later I had a route I liked. Now for the return trip I just hit HOME and I was not all that happy w/the route home, but oh well. They are pretty amazing.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

reconditioned Tom-Tom off ebay for 70 bucks, ram mount w/ lock, works great, good to go. If somebody steals it, I'm out 70 bucks

Here is an interesting video that seems relevant to this thread. I did it to mine some weeks ago and it hasn't effected the operation of my Garmin at all. In fact I have to watch some more of this dude's vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg

The curvy roads option is something I never use and really do not see a need for it. The GPS when not following a pre made route is just so I know where I am and what is coming up. Also useful in determining how much time is needed to get to a certain point or even home if you need a plan in a hurry. The main use is making routes beforehand to follow that day. The unit is set on shortest route and I use Base Camp and Google Maps to build the route I want, not one the unit chooses for me. The shaping points I use insures me I'm traveling the roads I found on google earth etc. that I like and the counter helps in timing my arrival where and when I wish, like for lunch at lunch time. If running ahead or behind schedule the pace can be adjusted along the way. Anything from memory, given directions, a paper map, cell phone without help or with a program, cheap GPS to expensive GPS will prob get you where you would like to go but a huge difference how well each one will work. The top of the line units like the 595 while expensive are fantastic and can not be equally compared to a cell phone any more than the phone can be compared to a paper map. Each is better than the other. Almost nothing is completely water proof as even a submarine will implode if it goes deep enough but the Zumos can get totally wet without a problem. The vibration resistance, left hand controls, glove friendly screen along with no rain worries makes the 390/395 and 590/595 the top choices for motorcycle GPS. The built in music, blue tooth ability and the tire monitors are just nice extras. The other Zumos are also great but as said no longer made and some no longer supported by Garmin.