Russell Day-Long Saddle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russell Day-Long Saddle

Russell Day-Long Saddle

Just received my custom built Day-Long seat from Russell. The problem is the right rear grab rail bolt on my bike is frozen, I mean it will not budge! All three others are fine. I guess I will stop by the dealer and let them break off an allen socket or two. Until then I will just be admiring my new seat and imagining the comfort. Sparky, I have purchased several Russell Saddles (not as many as you though) and have never tried the velour (I was always worried about keeping it dry). Based on your report I gave it a try.
    Attachment 2442

The Right Tool

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Just received my custom built Day-Long seat from Russell. The problem is the right rear grab rail bolt on my bike is frozen, I mean it will not budge! All three others are fine. I guess I will stop by the dealer and let them break off an allen socket or two. Until then I will just be admiring my new seat and imagining the comfort. Sparky, I have purchased several Russell Saddles (not as many as you though) and have never tried the velour (I was always worried about keeping it dry). Based on your report I gave it a try.
    Attachment 2442
    Harbor Freight has a Impact Driver for a few bucks. Had to use one on my Honda VTX seat bolts. A good rap with a hammer and the driver applies a shock and counter-clockwise rotation simutaneously. Works like a charm

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17210.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Harbor Freight has a Impact Driver for a few bucks. Had to use one on my Honda VTX seat bolts. A good rap with a hammer and the driver applies a shock and counter-clockwise rotation simutaneously. Works like a charm

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17210.jpg
    Thanks for the tip. Harbor Freight is right across the street from the Honda dealer. One way or another I'll get er done.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Galled? (Seat looks nice! Reminds me of something I need to get done!)

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post

Bob109, or...you could try the Snap-On version of the same tool. I simply go to my tool box, open drawer # 9, and there it is, laying on the right side of the drawer.

Mike, I am very happy that you went with another RDL. You will find that you LOVE the velour seating area. Never HOT in the Summer...never COLD in the Winter. I only cover it if I am washing the bike, which...if you ask Hornblower...is like...never. I was happy to have the dirtiest bike at the F6B rally.

So, cover the velour section of the seat when washing the bike. Otherwise, when you are riding...even in the rain, the seat is covered. When you are not riding...and it is raining, the bike is usually covered, or in a garage.

Take your time with that stuck bolt, and it will come out.

I assume you sent another seat in for the rebuild? Where did you get it and how much was it (the extra stock seat) if you don't mind me asking.

F6B Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I assume you sent another seat in for the rebuild? Where did you get it and how much was it (the extra stock seat) if you don't mind me asking.
    I purchased a seat from a forum member for $200 and had him ship it to Russell for me (he bought a Corbin). I have it sold to another forum member (as soon as I get my stuck bolt out) for $200. If I didn't sell it I was just going to rent it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Bob109, or...you could try the Snap-On version of the same tool. I simply go to my tool box, open drawer # 9, and there it is, laying on the right side of the drawer.

Mike, I am very happy that you went with another RDL. You will find that you LOVE the velour seating area. Never HOT in the Summer...never COLD in the Winter. I only cover it if I am washing the bike, which...if you ask Hornblower...is like...never. I was happy to have the dirtiest bike at the F6B rally.

So, cover the velour section of the seat when washing the bike. Otherwise, when you are riding...even in the rain, the seat is covered. When you are not riding...and it is raining, the bike is usually covered, or in a garage.

Take your time with that stuck bolt, and it will come out.
    I am sure I can get it out but incase there are any issues with the internal hardware or I really booger it up trying I am running by the dealer at lunch and the service manager said he will get it looked at and fixed. It is only 10 miles so not much of a trip.

I did buy a raincover from Russell and will use it when needed. I park outside at work everyday so it will see some rain here and there. Also will be handy on trips. Just a little more hassle than vinyl but much nicer.

I guess thats why Wingstuff sells Rust Free Easy Mount Seat Bolts for the F6B for $14.99 the stock Honda bolts don't like water and rust.
    Ride it like you stole it

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com