Russell Day-Long Saddle - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russell Day-Long Saddle

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Please be aware Rust-free and gall-free are 2 different things. I believe the 'rust free' bolts may be easier to install with the pointed tips, however, galling may still occur.

On a prior Honda, I simply smeared some Turtlewax paste wax on the seat bolt threads and things worked just fine, time after time. (Oil works as well, but can be 'messy/attract dirt')

Both Lubrication and torque can be key issues if galling is a concern.

YMMV

Super Lube

Before installing any bolts/screws subject to corrosion simply take a lighted candle and cover the threads with a few drops of melted paraffin. Simple and effective, it prevents rust and galling during future removal of the hardware. It's not messy like most never seize compounds and who doesn't have a few candles laying around

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    and who doesn't have a few candles laying around
    The Turtlewax was closer!!! LOL!!!!

Dagnabit,,, Everytime I look at 51's seat, I feel like several Ben will be leaving my wallet very soon!!!

(I know my butt will thank me many times over!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Dagnabit,,, Everytime I look at 51's seat, I feel like several Ben will be leaving my wallet very soon!!!

(I know my butt will thank me many times over!!!!)
    Scotrod, get ready to spend money. This was the first RDL seat thyey made for an F6B.
    Russell seat 008.jpgRussell seat 006.jpgRussell seat 004.jpgRussell seat 002.jpgRussell seat 001.jpg

Bolt Broken

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    I guess thats why Wingstuff sells Rust Free Easy Mount Seat Bolts for the F6B for $14.99 the stock Honda bolts don't like water and rust.
    Good tip, thanks.
    Went by the dealer at lunch and all their tricks didn't work. Said the bolt will most likely break off and asked if it did could I leave the bike as they would have to get on it after they finished a few customers that actually waited in line (he didn't really say that but thats what he meant). My bike is my only transportation so I said try it and if it breaks I will bring it in some morning later this week when I can wait (with an appointment).
    It broke way back where it threads into the frame (which is where it is most likely galled and at the end of the shank=weakest point). I should be able to pull my seat off now and install the RDL. Will try tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Good tip, thanks.
    Went by the dealer at lunch and all their tricks didn't work. Said the bolt will most likely break off and asked if it did could I leave the bike as they would have to get on it after they finished a few customers that actually waited in line (he didn't really say that but thats what he meant). My bike is my only transportation so I said try it and if it breaks I will bring it in some morning later this week when I can wait (with an appointment).
    It broke way back where it threads into the frame (which is where it is most likely galled and at the end of the shank=weakest point). I should be able to pull my seat off now and install the RDL. Will try tonight.

Mike, a Russell seat is so good...you can ride with only 3 bolts in the seat, and you wouldn't even know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Scotrod, get ready to spend money. This was the first RDL seat thyey made for an F6B.
    No doubt in my mind they are awesome seats! Seems like its a few Ben more everytime I get one! LOL!

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Mike, a Russell seat is so good...you can ride with only 3 bolts in the seat, and you wouldn't even know it.
    It is on with 3 bolts and Russell worked their magic again. The "pocket" is just where I asked and I can't wait for my ride to/from Barber Motorsports Vintage Days next weekend.
    Attachment 2453Attachment 2454Attachment 2455Attachment 2456

That seat looks great! Nothing at all like I remember packing in the box for shipment. Looks mighty comfortable.