"Unneedingly" pulled the Air Filter today.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Unneedingly" pulled the Air Filter today.

"Unneedingly" pulled the Air Filter today.

My shop is very slow these past couple weeks with no snow for repairs so I figure it would be a good time to ride in work swap out the Air Filter seeing I'm at 26,000mi. Just over an hour and a half to tear it down and have the Filter in hand. The Filter had very little debris and no distortion, could have easily gone to 40,000 but you never know until you have it open to see.
    Now I have to wait until tomorrow for the reassembly because I thought I had the new Filter here at the shop.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

This is off-topic to the subject of your post, but in your pic of your torn down ride, do I see two sets of highway pegs, or is that a trick in the photo? I know I see two on the left side. If that's the case, that is an amazingly simple idea that would've never crossed my mind. Would be so nice to have 2 highway peg configurations already set up when on a long ride.

I always admired your avatar. Now you went and soiled your image!

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    This is off-topic to the subject of your post, but in your pic of your torn down ride, do I see two sets of highway pegs, or is that a trick in the photo? I know I see two on the left side. If that's the case, that is an amazingly simple idea that would've never crossed my mind. Would be so nice to have 2 highway peg configurations already set up when on a long ride.
    You are correct, there are 4 highway pegs. I have had knee surgery on both knees and I on long trips I need to move so I have them mounted in a way so they act like floor boards. I can heel/toe, or just use them as regular pegs. The different combinations work well for me.
    One set are Kuryakyn Ergo lll in Black and the second set are just ISOs that I painted black.

Thanks for noticing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I always admired your avatar. Now you went and soiled your image!
    ha ha ha
    I guess I should have worded that differently. Instead of "wasted" maybe "unneedingly" if that is even a word.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    My shop is very slow these past couple weeks with no snow for repairs so I figure it would be a good time to ride in work swap out the Air Filter seeing I'm at 26,000mi. Just over an hour and a half to tear it down and have the Filter in hand. The Filter had very little debris and no distortion, could have easily gone to 40,000 but you never know until you have it open to see.
    Now I have to wait until tomorrow for the reassembly because I thought I had the new Filter here at the shop.
    Well at least now you know and possibly what to expect in the future...Many riders around the Michigan area, where I live, that have GW's
    have gone 30/40,000 miles with the stock air cleaner..some with K&N's have done more..Unless my mileage suddenly "tanks" or some other issue surfaces, I plan to leave my K&N filter alone until at least 35,000 or more miles....Although I do have a local wrench that works on Hondas and will change it a whole lot cheaper than the dealer..I'll cross that bridge when I have too.....Ride safe

It's so ridiculous what it takes to get to the air filter on this bike.

Cool

I have posted many times to do the air filter at 50K unless you have to much time on your hands.

The effort required is not worth the time...unless you live down a dirt road.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    You are correct, there are 4 highway pegs. I have had knee surgery on both knees and I on long trips I need to move so I have them mounted in a way so they act like floor boards. I can heel/toe, or just use them as regular pegs. The different combinations work well for me.
    One set are Kuryakyn Ergo lll in Black and the second set are just ISOs that I painted black.

Thanks for noticing.
    Man that's a good idea. I've had both of my knees replaced and also feel the need to move my legs around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Well and the new filter is in and no broken tabs !!!

1 1/2 hours tear down and 1 hour reassembly. I realized the hard part of the tear down is figuring out the removal of each panel. Once you have it apart you see how easy it is to put back. And this coming from a tear down one day and reassemble a day later.

I am not overly happy with the filter I put in. I did not look at the filter when I first picked it up at the dealer because while standing at the parts counter the service manager and I were talking new GoldWings so I just grabbed the bag and left. This morning when I restarted the job I saw the parts man gave me a cleanable pre oiled filter. I DO NOT care for them as they hold more DRY dirt particles in the filter oil and do not allow the DRY dirt particles to be carried out of the air box as designed to do. Also if I go through all the work to pull the filter I don't care to clean and reuse. BUT that is just me and I know there are many here that are just opposite of my thinking. Both ways of thinking have their plus and minus.

Just to reiterated, I am not putting down reusable filters and nor do I think they are inferior. Although I did install the filter I just would have rather had a stock filter for this job.