Traxxion "Mega-Monty"

Thread: Traxxion "Mega-Monty"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Set up the appointment for mine today

Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house
    I'm sorry it took so long to reply, but I have been thinking about your question.
    It would be "easy" to call Traxxion and give you their answer, but you can do that.
    You want my answer....so here ya go:

I had the SuperBrace and I liked it, I could feel the difference in the front end reduced flex, especially during spirited riding.
    So I experienced that a fork brace was "a good thing."

So, here I am, in the Traxxion showroom and I mentioned that I already had a fork brace.
    They then showed me where it had been tearing up the back end of my front fender piece - which I had noticed - and then said that their brace actually mounted lower on the forks and wouldn't continue to tear up my fender. Okay there's a minor plus.

Then I looked at a set of forks already off and they showed me where the triple tree would clamp, where the fork brace would clamp, and then where the axle was.
    3 points of rigidity.
    And? the Mega Monty was on "sale" making the brace less than 10% of my total investment - which I can probably get back selling the SuperBrace.
    I am not a suspension guru by any stretch but I've had enough math and Statics & Dynamics to see how a middle support between two supporting end pieces is a "good" thing.

I also tried to mentally flow a "hard sweeping turn" through the front end.
    1. Wheel is loaded up laterally
    2. Puts uneven pressure on the axle
    3. One fork must then collapse a bit, one must extend a bit (makes sense to have the same thing in both forks now!)
    4. That lateral loading is carried up the forks to the steering stem, and the forks are free to move about & flex as they wish = sloppy feeling.
    Then try turning the opposite direction......and add those forces into play.....
    5. The Traxxion triple tree does a great job keeping that top end secure, I don't know how much more than the stock stem, but with two points of attachment, I'm very sure it's more and it likely allows for a more uniform pressure on the steering head bearings.
    6. This still leaves approximately 28" of fork tubes that are not supported, except at the end points.
    7. Some where in the middle, I think I support might be a good idea.

That's why I let them do the whole thing.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS - For the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge to fit properly in the left fork tube, some lathing is required - make sure your guys know what they're doing!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not
    Copy all and best of luck!
    If they are doing this piecemeal, please ensure you are getting the All Balls tapered bearings.
    That and the triple tree made the steering REALLY smooth.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

They're doing the Full Monty, everything but the brace if I'm reading it all correctly. I just looked at the parts list on my estimate and the all ball bearing set is listed. I'm getting kinda of excited to do this...That and I've been away from my poor B for far to long

Newbie here again. Signing on the dotted line today for a new 2015 F6B Deluxe 40th. When I have time to pick it up, probably Saturday, I'll put a few miles on her. I've had Wings. Bought the first one that came out in 1975, then a 1200, then another 1200, no 1500, then the last one was a 2004 with the recalled frame. Finally decided to pull the trigger on the 2015. I'm quite aware of the suspension issues over the years. Wobbly wet sponges to me. I talked to Traxxion last week about the Mega kit and had decided to make the trip to GA. but then saw they had an installation place close to me in Alvarado, just south of Ft.Worth. Talked to Jim at Raceworx. One man shop who builds race bikes. He casually mentioned he has done 130 Mega installs in 7 years. Issue resolved for me. Sending him the deposit tomorrow so he can order the FULL MONTY with the Traxxion triple clamp included in the redo. After reading 53's experience this morning, it's a no-brainer. I've been riding for 40 years and this will probably be my last cycle as I now have a Medicare card in my wallet! This kit is not cheap my any means. That's obvious. And it's not installed yet so I can't report on any empirical data yet, but the one issue over the years has been the Wing suspension so I stayed away from them until now. Considering the price I paid for the F6B (just over $17,000) this Traxxion expense became a non-issue for me and from what I've read, money well spent. Thanks go out to 53 for his review and when I get mine back, I'll most likely also have a lengthy encyclical about my miles with the Traxxion kit. It's now 9am and I'm off to sign the papers.