Traxxion "Mega-Monty" - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Traxxion "Mega-Monty"

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    Wow, congrats! Other than the seat and windshield, the suspension is definitely my number one gripe. Sounds like that's a great remedy, just too much for my blood.
    It's a lot of coin - no question there. I'm fortunate that I can make this work, hopefully without the little missus finding out!

There are "less expensive" options:
    JimmyT wrote on a different thread about the Progressive cartridges; the dude on the Yellow Wing that was at the hotel same as our Rally in Arkansas - that seemingly makes a living tearing up roads - has had both the Traxxion and the Progressives and he preferred the Progressives, so that's what JimmyT got.
    Waiting on Jimmy to install those bad boys and then we're going to go play....

As I wrote, for anyone, at a minimum, do the All Balls tapered bearings and some sort of fork bracing system.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    It's a lot of coin - no question there. I'm fortunate that I can make this work, hopefully without the little missus finding out!

There are "less expensive" options:
    JimmyT wrote on a different thread about the Progressive cartridges; the dude on the Yellow Wing that was at the hotel same as our Rally in Arkansas - that seemingly makes a living tearing up roads - has had both the Traxxion and the Progressives and he preferred the Progressives, so that's what JimmyT got.
    Waiting on Jimmy to install those bad boys and then we're going to go play....

As I wrote, for anyone, at a minimum, do the All Balls tapered bearings and some sort of fork bracing system.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Just to be clear, he didn't really say he preferred the Progressive route. As in ,he wasn't making a statement that one was better overall than the other. What he said when I asked his opinion, was that for the money he would just install the Progressive Monotubes, change head bearings, and install a Progressive spring on the OEM shock. That was based upon his experience. I am tearing into my front end this week. Would've already, but other stuff keeps coming up.

I'll add that I am doing the work myself,which isn't an option with the Traxxion upgrade. So you have to figure installation cost into the equation if you are not doing the work yourself. When you do this, the cost differences ,I'M sure would diminish
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Glad to hear

Well, I done did it.
    I was heading to NW Georgia for a ride with the "boys" and Traxxion (Woodstock, GA) had a Friday afternoon appointment open....

Sweet Mother-of-Pearl!
    What a difference in handling from the stock suspension!
    And the bike tracks perfectly straight hands off at any speed.
    The steering column is SO smooth and SO effortless now.
    - Those tapered "All Balls" bearings are smooth as a baby's butt.
    The setup shines over railroad tracks and speedbumps. No slowing anymore.
    Their version of a Fork Brace applies the forces to the forks lower than my SuperBrace did and doesn't destroy the trailing edge of my front fender at the same time. (grrrrr)
    Between that brace and their Triple Tree, there is NO flex in the steering column.
    Of course, when we took to the mountains in NW Georgia, the package really did shine beyond my expectations.
    The suspension keeps the tires on the road. Period. No questions.
    As many of you know I have a GoPro on my left engine guard and I'm used to watching the tire move up and down "a certain amount" in my videos. Now? Tire doesn't move nearly a third as much. It's amazing.
    Lots of confidence in the bike and the feedback she's giving me in "very-spirited" riding conditions.

Yeah, it was 3 'large' but "buy once, cry once" is my motto for major purchases.
    Plus they have a "Gold Wing 90 days same as cash" deal, so I spread out the damage a bit....
    And Traxxion did the work.
    They didn't wash & wax her, but they fixed a few nickle and dime things for me

Two of my riding partners (Full Wingers) went for a quick ride and came back all smiles.
    One has an appointment in late March...

Cheers,
    Steve
    (and yeah, I'm grinning big time!!!)

Mega-Monty is:
    AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit
    Traxxion Dynamics “Omni” Fork Spring Kit
    Traxx-Rite Billet Triple Clamp (the "Full Monty" doesn't include this)
    Fork Brace with Bug Guards
    "All Balls” Brand Tapered Roller Steering Head Bearings
    Rebound Adjustable Fork Caps
    Fork Seals
    Inner and Outer Fork Bushings as required
    Traxxion Dynamics’ Rear Shock Absorber and Spring Kit
    Traxxion Dynamics’ Braided Stainless Steel Shock Hose
    Labor to Remove and Install Front Forks
    Labor to Rebuild Forks and Install Fork Kit
    Labor to Remove Shock, Rebuild Remote Adjuster, Install Hose, and Reinstall
    Labor to Remove and Install Steering Bearings
    I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with our 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with out 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!
    Will that be motorcycle oil or Rotella Seadog? :-)

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Circle-5

Traxxion vs. Progressive

I'd really like to know how Progressive compares to Traxxion, for a fraction of the cost. Not expecting Traxxion perfection, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Progressive shocks in the past. Either that, or I must remember to buy a winning lottery ticket. There is no question that the F6B front end deserves better than what Honda put into it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Just to be clear, he didn't really say he preferred the Progressive route. As in ,he wasn't making a statement that one was better overall than the other. What he said when I asked his opinion, was that for the money he would just install the Progressive Monotubes, change head bearings, and install a Progressive spring on the OEM shock. That was based upon his experience. I am tearing into my front end this week. Would've already, but other stuff keeps coming up.

I'll add that I am doing the work myself,which isn't an option with the Traxxion upgrade. So you have to figure installation cost into the equation if you are not doing the work yourself. When you do this, the cost differences ,I'M sure would diminish
    Thanks for clarifying JimmyT.
    I know I don't like to be misquoted and I'm sure he doesn't like it either.
    Best of luck with the install!

$$$ breakdown for Mega-Monty:
    Labor was $500
    Triple clamp: $500
    Fork Brace kit: $300
    Two Cartridges: $1000
    Cartridge Install Kit: $200
    Rear Shock: $575
    Bushings/Seals: $65
    Package discount of $154

I thought you could buy any of those parts from Traxxion or their reps - you don't have to have them do the work.
    I'm not as talented as JimmyT though.
    Would have spent well beyond 5 hours doing
    I value my time at $100/hr so it was an easy decision for me.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks for clarifying JimmyT.
    I know I don't like to be misquoted and I'm sure he doesn't like it either.
    Best of luck with the install!

$$$ breakdown for Mega-Monty:
    Labor was $500
    Triple clamp: $500
    Fork Brace kit: $300
    Two Cartridges: $1000
    Cartridge Install Kit: $200
    Rear Shock: $575
    Bushings/Seals: $65
    Package discount of $154

I thought you could buy any of those parts from Traxxion or their reps - you don't have to have them do the work.
    I'm not as talented as JimmyT though.
    Would have spent well beyond 5 hours doing
    I value my time at $100/hr so it was an easy decision for me.

Cheers,
    Steve
    It was my understanding and from some places I've read, that installation must be done by an Authorized Traxxion dealer. I know that Wing Stuff has some limited items from Traxxion that you can purchase. I looked into several options, including the Race Tech. Their description was vague to me on what would be needed for the front. The Progressive cartridges eliminated this part. Haven't yet settled on what I want to do for the rear shock. I may leave it for another season, partially because I'm indecisive.

It was my understanding and from some places I've read, that installation must be done by an Authorized Traxxion dealer. I know that Wing Stuff has some limited items from Traxxion that you can purchase. I looked into several options, including the Race Tech. Their description was vague to me on what would be needed for the front. The Progressive cartridges eliminated this part. Haven't yet settled on what I want to do for the rear shock. I may leave it for another season, partially because I'm indecisive.
    BTW, I noticed you have the smiley GIFs . They still don't seem to be working for me. Any word?

Not sure why, but in reading this, I got my hackles up

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with out 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!
    I'll be brutally frank here....I spent my entire 24 year military career scrimping and investing so when I retired I would not HAVE to work ever again.
    I know you also served SeaDog, and you know what we got paid monthly, but I'm finding myself taking unusual umbrage to your comment.
    I'm hoping this isn't an "enlisted" -> "officer" dig......and I'm sure it isn't, you're better than that.

All of my TAD per diem went to investments.
    All of my flight pay went to investments.
    My wife cut coupons and shopped only sales.
    She cooked all foods from scratch and we seldom went out to dinner - mostly because of the kids food allergies.
    Plus, she doesn't have the usual $$$ requirements of that particular specie (makeup, shoes, hair, nails, etc - not required in her world)
    We never did without and the kids always had enough and did very well in school such that they got full rides to good universities.
    My wife managed the investments quite skillfully and now we are "comfortable" with neither of us working.
    We've always lived within our means and haven't bought anything "on time" since our 2002 15 year mortgage.
    Not buying a Aston Martin DB-12 when our '98 Maxima dies, but will pay cash for something practical.

So yeah, I've got resources allocated to my passions.
    And I'm almost sorry if it offends anyone that I'm not apologetic about it.
    I fully intended to live loudly from age 47 until I die.
    I'm 54 now and having a fricking blast and it only keeps getting better and better.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

BTW, I noticed you have the smiley GIFs . They still don't seem to be working for me. Any word?
    The smileys are only working for me because I am doing them manually.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce