Stainless steel rack on order,,thinking of making it black.

Thread: Stainless steel rack on order,,thinking of making it black.

Stainless steel rack on order,,thinking of making it black.

I just ordered a stainless steel luggage rack, not sure I like the stainless on the bike so I am looking for options. I have a 2015 blue f6b that has blacked out features and not much chrome at all.

I have not seen any F6B's with this stainless rack or smoke colored rack but surly there are some out there.

I should be getting my rack shipped in about a week but has anyone painted it black to match the newer F6B's blacked out look? I am just looking for ideas on how to paint this black or make it blacked out and tough enough to handle the wear and tear of use...maybe something like a rhino lining dipped on it or something..?

Any thoughts or pictures would be great.

Here is the picture of the rack I ordered.

http://wingstuff.com/products/35614-...-for-honda-f6b
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2015 F6B owner (purchased new 10/29/16)
    Traded in my 2014 CTX 1300
    Sold my 1995 Nighthawk
    Sold (1st bike) Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Two words...

...powder coat.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I would be interested in how to make it durable, too.

They do have a smoke chrome rack. Maybe you could change your order?
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by svnten View Post
    I just ordered a stainless steel luggage rack, not sure I like the stainless on the bike so I am looking for options. I have a 2015 blue f6b that has blacked out features and not much chrome at all. I should be getting my rack shipped in about a week but has anyone painted it black to match the newer F6B's blacked out look? I am just looking for ideas on how to paint this black or make it blacked out and tough enough to handle the wear and tear of use...maybe something like a rhino lining dipped on it or something..?Any thoughts or pictures would be great.
    Getting the rack Rhino dipped may not match the rest of the bike, the texture isn't smooth like chrome or paint.Painting it may look nice, but maybe only for a while, using bungee cords may scratch the paint.I'd get it powder coated, it's much more durable than paint.I had everything chrome on my F6B powder coated black, looks great and easy to clean.Just my 2 cents.

Black epoxy appliance paint. Tough as hell, inexpensive.

Mike

Rack

The Show Chrome rack is chrome plated steel not stainless steel. You can have any shop sand blast it to remove the chrome and then satin black powder coat it.

yep, black epoxy rattle can. tough stuff.

Smoked chrome rack

I have the smoked chrome rack on my 2015 F6B. Its also blue and black. I think that the smoked chrome looks pretty sharp on the bike. http://wingstuff.com/products/35531-...=luggage_racks