Blue Ridge Parkway trip.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway trip.....

Blue Ridge Parkway trip.....

....on my new F6B. (BTW, I had been posting the last couple of weeks and was "erased", but here I'm back...). So, taking the auto train up from Fla, to near DC, going west to start at the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park area and taking a week going south, through the Dragon, and back to FL. Planning this trip for mid-June. Anyone with observations about weather, tips for things to avoid, or anything that can help me and my group plan the trip would be appreciated.

Try to hit the Cherohala, Smokey Mountain National Park, and the Foothills...you can't miss on any of those. I did that trip last September. We did the Dragon and the BRP also. There are so many....
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by carreramia View Post
    ....on my new F6B. (BTW, I had been posting the last couple of weeks and was "erased", but here I'm back...). So, taking the auto train up from Fla, to near DC, going west to start at the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park area and taking a week going south, through the Dragon, and back to FL. Planning this trip for mid-June. Anyone with observations about weather, tips for things to avoid, or anything that can help me and my group plan the trip would be appreciated.
    I'm not entirely sure how crowded the Blue Ridge Parkway gets on a regular basis or weekends vs mid-week, but when a group of us did it last May in the middle of the week, we felt like we had it to ourselves. Very few cars or other motorcycles. Loved it! Shenandoah is nice too...you'll enjoy that. I'd for sure hit BRP and Cherohala.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by carreramia View Post
    The most popular rides get crowded on weekends. On Saturday and Sunday in June expect nose to tail traffic on the Dragon. Try to plan those on weekdays. You will have a great time regardless. In some areas, fuel stops are scarce. Plan accordingly.

For sure do the Dragon midweek as it's a much more enjoyable ride. The weekends are very busy with wannabe road racers and car clubs. If you do the Cherohala and Dragon the same day you'll have to go through Tellico Plains. Stop at the Tellicafe for lunch. It's right across the street from Hardee's. They had the best homemade ketchup the last time I was there. You can't miss on any of the roads for great riding.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

I haven't been able to ride these but a few others in the area..
    But here is a web site to check out and they will send a free map
    If you want http://www.appalachianbackroads.com/2015-routes
    Planning on going soon. I did the skyline dr to brp a few years back, amazing views
    Saw black bear feeding on edge of road a wild boar and some deer.
    We went during the week traffic was very light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blue Ridge Parkway

I did the Parkway and the Dragon along with the Cherohala just this past May. Stayed in Maggie Valley and "shamrocked" from there. Done them before too but straight through as you are planning to. Agreed, skip the Dragon on the weekends, crazy busy. The Skyline has a fee unless you have a park pass. Watch your fuel, there are no stations along the parkway itself. Some of the gas stations are a ways off the exits too. You've allowed yourself lots of time, so that is good. You don't make much distance on the BRP. Lots of turns and the speed limit is low, especially at the bottom. Stop, take pictures. It's a great ride. Watch for deer and black bears. I hit a bear a few years back in Virginia. Ugly result, dead bear and broken leg and bike for me....

Enjoy those roads, and like others have said, avoid the Dragon, on weekends. Just wondering, why you are taking the train, as the weather will be fine, mid June. Still takes time to fly up and get your bike. Just wondering.

A few things to keep in mind

Even in June, riding the mountains can and will get cold especially in the morning. I have ridden the BRP from one end to the other in late June and it never got out of the 60s.

About 30 miles before you get to Asheville, NC on the BRP, exit on Highway 80 toward Marion, NC. It is also a nice little town to stay and lots of motels and restaurants. The ride on US 80 is the best kept secret in the Smokey Mountains and I have never seen it crowded and it is a lot more fun than the Dragon. Trust me on this one.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Even in June, riding the mountains can and will get cold especially in the morning. I have ridden the BRP from one end to the other in late June and it never got out of the 60s.

About 30 miles before you get to Asheville, NC on the BRP, exit on Highway 80 toward Marion, NC. It is also a nice little town to stay and lots of motels and restaurants. The ride on US 80 is the best kept secret in the Smokey Mountains and I have never seen it crowded and it is a lot more fun than the Dragon. Trust me on this one.
    Thanks for the tip, on hwy 80. I just had a look on map quest. 80 looks to be as fun as you say. Probably some more "hidden" jewels in the area, too.