Worth having in the saddle bag. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth having in the saddle bag.

I think the problem with the stock OEM's

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Perhaps they work okay, but I think the question that was asked pertained to road bikes and broken valve stems???...Not off road bikes and other type vehicles such as trailers, etc....Ride safe
    Is the fact that they flex in the rim hole and when the seal gets a little older they start leaking and can leave you stranded. I replace those worthless stock OEM valve stems and their just plastic supports with a good set of Enkei 85 degree metal valve stems on both wheels. They are solid and no flexing when checking pressure or adding air.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Slick piece of engineering, but I've never experienced the need for such an item.

Anyone ever broken a valve stem on the road?
    YES!!! and it almost killed me. I95 on a beautiful Memorial Day coming back from Rolling Thunder on my Connie. New tire and new 90 degree valve stem...I'm #2 in a 4 bike formation running @ 70 and BAM! goes the rear tire. Sheet my pants but managed to get her off the side w/o getting run over

Maybe I'm lucky but I have not experienced a stem problem on a motorcycle wheel in 900,000 miles nor do I recall having an issue on a car, truck or trailer in a million miles or so. I do replace them every time I replace tires so maybe that explains it. I guess you can neve have too much stuff in your saddle bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Slick piece of engineering, but I've never experienced the need for such an item.

Anyone ever broken a valve stem on the road?
    Had the valve stem on the front crack, plastic support was missing, on the last ride of the year, left me stranded of course. And the first ride of the following season, same outcome, have metal stems in now and expect it not to happen but will buy a valve just in case I or a ride member have a problem.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Had my front valve stem fail 300 miles from home of a Saturday afternoon when everything was closed.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.