Madstad base mounting issues/question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madstad base mounting issues/question

Madstad base mounting issues/question

So I just recieved my 13" medium dark Madstad windshield. Was struggling to get the bas portion of the windshield mounted; I initially though the two outer holes were not drilled precisely in alignment with the windshield mounting holes on the front fairing. I did eventually get the Madstad base mounted by carefully aligning the screw collars in the holes of the windshield base; and working all three screws down simultaneously.

However I see now that I have quite a gap on the outside areas of the Madstad windshield base:

(Note - the weatherstripping on the bike is being reflected on the black Madstad base; so it appears as two pieces of weatherstripping; rather than one).

Is this normal for those whom have installed the Madstad windshield base previously. If so, did you just add some additional weatherstripping? Or are the holes in the base of my Madstad actually off a bit; and contributing to this gap that is on both outer edges of the base?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Just ordered and 11" today. I hope i'm not going to run into that ! Probably easy to redrill but then you would not be able to take advantage of the return or trade policy they have.

I just fired off an email to them with the picture of the gap. I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue, there are several members here whom installed the same.

Gawd this thing is U.G.L.Y. But I decided to try it out and see if it makes a difference.... I've now bought THREE windshields for this bike

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I have the 13in .. And I do not have this gap.
    But I will tell you this shield is awesome.

FUGLY...Can't wait to order mine.

Will,
    I have a gap between the lower shield and the dashboard only where the dash is uneven (where your weatherstripping is on your dash). Below that is sealed tight. I shined light from inside and outside, no light was visible through the shield.
    Yours isn't fitting correctly.

It is ugly but it either grows on you or you get used to it. Functionally it is awesome.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Will,
    I have a gap between the lower shield and the dashboard only where the dash is uneven (where your weatherstripping is on your dash). Below that is sealed tight. I shined light from inside and outside, no light was visible through the shield.

It is ugly but it either grows on you or you get used to it. Functionally it is awesome.
    +1
    Either you go for looks or functionality. Rarely do you get both. It's no more complicated than that. At this point, I think there is very little argument that the Madstad is the best windscreen available from the perspective of functionality. Most of us that have Madstads agree that it's not the prettiest windscreen out there. Frankly, I don't care much about that. It's a great windscreen for how it functions and that's all I really care about.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    +1
    Either you go for looks or functionality. Rarely do you get both. It's no more complicated than that. At this point, I think there is very little argument that the Madstad is the best windscreen available from the perspective of functionality. Most of us that have Madstads agree that it's not the prettiest windscreen out there. Frankly, I don't care much about that. It's a great windscreen for how it functions and that's all I really care about.
    Do you have a gap in the outer areas where the lower base meets the dash?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Will,

Thank you. I am waiting on Madstad's response to my email; basically what I wrote here in this thread.

This is certainly not a "I'm ripping this gardarned shield off and tossing it into the bushes" moment... but I like symmetry... a smooth finish.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I posted this very question a long time ago and your getting the same answers I got. I will tell you that it does lay better after some time as mine has almost flattened out completely, but from the start it fits like sh**.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7...Madstad-owners
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike